Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember when WCW did this and despite being almost mathematically impossible, their ratings didn't increase with the addition of the third hour?

Remember when WCW died?

TNA announced that Impact will be live throughout the summer, starting May 31st (also time change to 8PM). In the grand scheme of things, I don't think this well help much at all.

TNA also hired Brooke Hogan to oversee the Knockouts division in both a backstage and on camera capacity. In the grand scheme of things, I am surprised it took this long for a Hogan spawn to show up. I really thought Nick would show up during the Eric/Garrett feud.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy Orton has been suspended for violating the wellness policy. That means Orton, Jericho, and Mysterio are all suspended at the same time. Mysterio also failed the wellness when an over the counter supplement came up as amphetamine. Jericho was suspended hen WWE overreacted to him kicking a flag in Brazil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Austin Aries is the new TNA World Heavyweight Champion. Kinda shocking to be honest. More due to the slow burn Roode/Storm story they seem to want to tell than Aries himself, who has been on a roll for a while now.

The PPV overall was kinda a let down. I think I looked at things on paper and overhyped it in my own head. Joe/Angle was not on par with their classics, but still a really good match and probably best of the night. The X-Division tournament matches were TV specials, which I had no problem with due to the Ultimate X match. Then that happened, and it was really, really lame. Don't know if Sonjay's injury was real or not (seemed to be) but that just killed the match. Daniels/Styles has been done a lot. And since I don't see this as the end, I never really got invested.

The main event never got out of 2nd gear. Maybe it is me, but I cannot say that I have seen the appeal Bobby Roode or James Storm. Every match that I have seen them in seems stiff. Maybe not fluid is a better way to say that. I am always aware that I am watching a match, rather than getting wrapped up in the action.

Liked both of those.

Abraham Washington is ruining the Prime Time Players like he ruined ECW. Seriously, in a beer pong tournament on Saturday I (along with a fellow wrestling fan) was using "He ain't got no cuts" as a chant to put off my opponents, and after that tag match I'm almost completely put off seeing the act. PLEASE get rid of this guy.

I'll say this for the women, for a 6 diva tag with 5 minutes to use it was good. They went hard and fast, most everything looked good and I'm really hoping this is indicative of the division going forward. The glamour model days are behind us at last, most everyone in that ring was capable of a good match in the right conditions.

Something was off about Miz during his interview and I couldn't figure what. Finally twigged it when he made his entrance for the MitB. No Faux-hawk! Looks a thousand times more like someone I can take seriously now.

Also-

10o4aqv.jpg

Watched a couple of the WWE documentaries on netflix.

Edge - I came away with one thought, that being that he is completely happy with life after wrestling. He seems like someone who is content to live in the mountains. That is nice to see, specially with how he was force to retire.

Stone Cold - 30 minutes too long. Things could have been cut down to make this a tighter documentary.

Ric Flair - Best of the 3 I watched. Woo.

Almost forgot, I watched the Hardy/E&C No Mercy ladder match. This is the match that really hooked me into being a fan. I think it still holds up for the most part. The bumps are not overly ridiculous (most being done on the 2nd or 3rd rung of the ladder (lower than the top rope)). And the crowd. They go from 'time to buy popcorn' to 'holy shit this is awesome' by the end. Heck, JR has the hardest times telling Matt/Jeff and E/C apart.

Another thing that popped into my head was the Mania triangle ladder match. Jeff Hardy standing on the huge ladder about to jump off. You know what really made that moment? The camera flashes in the crowd. He jumps off and the place lights up. Sad that do to camera phones you really can never repeat such things.

Liked both of those.

Abraham Washington is ruining the Prime Time Players like he ruined ECW. Seriously, in a beer pong tournament on Saturday I (along with a fellow wrestling fan) was using "He ain't got no cuts" as a chant to put off my opponents, and after that tag match I'm almost completely put off seeing the act. PLEASE get rid of this guy.

I'll say this for the women, for a 6 diva tag with 5 minutes to use it was good. They went hard and fast, most everything looked good and I'm really hoping this is indicative of the division going forward. The glamour model days are behind us at last, most everyone in that ring was capable of a good match in the right conditions.

Something was off about Miz during his interview and I couldn't figure what. Finally twigged it when he made his entrance for the MitB. No Faux-hawk! Looks a thousand times more like someone I can take seriously now.

Also-

10o4aqv.jpg

The funny thing about the Divas match is that probably half of all WWE fans could even name the 3 on the winning side. Layla is a lost cause. Nobody cares about her as hard as they try to put her over. Nobody knows who Kaitlyn is, and Tamina is just a scary looking amazon. Everyone knows who Beth, Natalya, and Eve are.

• 2 weeks later...