Random wrestling thoughts

They changed it, weed is on the suspension list. Its what led to everyone switching to fake weed and getting busted for that as well (Evan Bourne and R Truth).

The main issue is that the whole reason they're pushing Swagger is for the legit media attention, and this is now a line in every story that the angle has brought them.

edit- wait no, sorry, pot is still just fined, not suspendable. My mistake.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris and myself just got back from a double-shot of Dragon Gate shows. Disappointing lack of tag matches on either card but when dudes are hitting each other this hard for your entertainment it seems churlish to complain. Still the best wrestling company I've ever seen live, and that includes NOAH, TNA, ROH, PWG and all the UK indies. They're also the best company when it comes to using and improving UK talent, they took guys like Marty Scurll and Pac and made them exceptional. Mark Haskins might have dropped out of TNA after a few appearances, but in Dragon Gate he's an amazing worker. These guys make everyone else better somehow, and that's why whenever they visit I empty my wallet buying all the t-shirts, towels and merch I can.

Still never been to a WWE event, something I hope to rectify this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does Hulk Hogan feel the need to denegate someone, just to talk about someone else in his promos? Take TNA Lockdown for example, he spent more time in his pep talk with Bully Ray, talking about how Jeff Hardy isn't the catalyst for improvement in TNA's ratings or drawing ability than saying "Good luck with your match for the title." It just seems like he wants to make everyone else look shit, so he, and the people he likes, look better in contrast, which I guess was his plan all along.

Also, Joseph Parks is the best character in wrestling for years.

I never want to hear the word ratings EVER AGAIN on a wrestling show. When you break it down literally all anyone ever says is "it's worth remarking upon when people watch our show". Shouldn't you act as though everyone cool already is?

I would take people talking about ratings over comments such as "Trending worldwide right now..." any day of the week.

• 3 weeks later...
Reid Flair, the youngest son of WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair, has passed away, PWInsider.com has sadly confirmed. He was only 24 years old.

Reid was seen in the latter days of WCW, where both he and his father had heads shaved as part of an angle where Ric feuded with Vince Russo. Reid later began training as a pro wrestler under Bobby Eaton and George South, but personal issues, including a heroin arrest, sidetracked what was expected to be instant stardom for Reid, who had an excellent amateur pedigree.

At one point, he was slated to debut with Ring of Honor when the promotion was owned by Cary Silkin, but the arrest caused ROH to back off on those plans. That led to the beginning of the end of their relationship with Ric Flair.

Since then, there had been talk of Reid going to WWE developmental and the company had taken a look at him, but didn't sign him to a contract. He had worked in All Japan this past January and was slated to make appearances with Ric this weekend in Maryland.

Our deepest condolences to the Flair family during what can only be described as a tragic, sad day.

http://pwinsider.com/article/76485/reid-flair-passes-away.html?p=1

http://deadspin.com/...d-bro-458710791

X-Pac tore his anus in a match last night. ...Yeeeeah.

Huh, I was wondering whatever happened to Ryan Shamrock just yesterday.

RIP to Reid Flair - I'm pretty sure I remember seeing him on Worldwide in 1999 hollering his support for his dad when he was on the end of a Russo-orchestrated beating. Because that's what WCW did in 1999. My thoughts to the Flair family.

I've been looking for this video clip for years, and, by chance, someone posted this gif on Tumblr today:

tyler-black.gif

That's Tyler Black (RE: Seth Rollins) performing that move on Matt Sydal (RE: Evan Bourne) at an IWA-MS show. If you zoom way in, you can even see me. I'm sitting off to the right in an orange shirt. (I'm not the guy in the orange shirt who's standing on the left.)

Reading through the history of the WCW Heavyweight Championship is depressing.

12 September 1999: Sting wins the title

25 October 1999: Sting is stripped of the title

21 November 1999: Bret Hart wins the title

20 December 1999: Bret Hart is stripped of the title

20 December 1999: Bret Hart wins the title

16 January 2000: Bret Hart is stripped of the title (due to injury)

16 January 2000: Chris Benoit wins the title

17 January 2000: Chris Benoit is stripped of the title (left WCW)

24 January 2000: Sid Vicious wins the title

25 January 2000: Sid Vicious is stripped of the title

25 January 2000: Kevin Nash awards himself the title

25 January 2000: Sid Vicious wins the title

10 April 2000: All WCW titles are vacated

After that, it doesn't get much better:

Diamond Dallas Page holds it for a day before losing it to David Arquette.

Jeff Jarrett, Ric Flair, and Kevin Nash toss is back and forth five times over 22 days.

There's the Hogan, Jarrett, Russo fiasco.

Booker T holds it for 50 days, bringing some respectability back to it.

Kevin Nash, Booker T, and Vince Russo (of all people) hold it for a combined 35 days, before Booker T gets a 55-day run.

Lastly, before he it became a WWF / WWE belt, Scott Steiner had it for 120 day.

Well, at that point Russo and WCW were willing to try anything.

Also, I've been watching a fair few of the WWE features about the period where I was SUPER into wrestling, 1999-2007-ish, and the omission of Chris Beniot is glaring.

While most matches seem like a foregone conclusion (and I hope they are), it wouldn't be out of character for WWE to do something stupid. Because, you know, the unexpected things are always better than the smart things.

That said, the build to this years show has sucked. Cena/Rock is less personal and we already know what that match will look like. HHH/Lesnar is a rematch and I don't think the career stipulation adds much drama. Punk/Undertaker has been an odd build, and I just get the feeling that Punk isn't into it mentally. Jericho/Fandango is a waste of Jericho in my opinion. Fandango is such a limited gimmick that I don't think it matters how well Johnny Curtis wrestles. The gimmick can only go so far. Jericho will do whatever he can to make this work, and I think it will, but in two months? And I haven't even gotten to the World Title match with two cold characters. The hottest person in this feud is Ricardo and that doesn't work. And a problem overall is there is not a match that you can point to and say 'That is going to be a great match'.

Not to say there are not bright spots. I am looking forward to Mark Henry/Ryback which shocks me. It will probably be ugly and too long, but I am such a fan of Henry on this current run. I want to see him do what he do. And I am looking forward to The Shield six man tag. They have been handled surprisingly well since their debut and I want to see if it continues. I see some sort of turn during this match and I have a feeling it isn't someone in the match.

Since I have nothing better to do, I will watch. But I have been thinking about if I want to bother watching it live or not.

The Rock is going to be on the cover of WWE 2K14. On one hand, at least it's not Cena. On the other hand, this would be like coming out with NBA 2014 or something and putting Michael Jordan on the cover. It's not like The Rock is going to be sticking around much longer. The new GI Joe did pretty well at the box office and he has like two or three more movies out this year in addition to have like three movies in development.