Random wrestling thoughts

WWE has officially announced WWE Network which is going to be streaming 24/7 with live events and On Demand. Key Announcements:

• Launching February 24th after Raw.
  • Sounds like they're going to give access to all former PPVs and Episodes of Raw, Nxt, and Smackdown.
  • WCW and ECW also.
  • Every PPV per year live.
  • Some original series.
  • Will be able to watch though XBox 360, PS3 or 4, Roku, or Android devices.
  • 720p Video Quality
  • $9.99 a month.

So, if you're in a place with a decent internet connection and you get even one PPV a year, this seems like a no brainer.

They're still announcing so I'll edit as they say something new.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as the back catalog is a huge selling point for the hardcores, I think that most people will buy this for the PPVs. And that worries me a bit. iPPVs in the past year have not gone well. Granted, WWE has the resources that others do not. But so does the NFL/NBC and their live stream of the Sunday Night games were less than excellent (and some weeks downright god awful). On that end, I will wait at least 3-4 months after launch to hear reviews.

Also, I wonder how fast they will put the newest RAW/Smackdown episodes in the service. With the Hulu deal and upcoming TV rights fees, I cannot see them doing it with any kind of timeliness.

As much as the back catalog is a huge selling point for the hardcores, I think that most people will buy this for the PPVs. And that worries me a bit. iPPVs in the past year have not gone well. Granted, WWE has the resources that others do not. But so does the NFL/NBC and their live stream of the Sunday Night games were less than excellent (and some weeks downright god awful). On that end, I will wait at least 3-4 months after launch to hear reviews.

Also, I wonder how fast they will put the newest RAW/Smackdown episodes in the service. With the Hulu deal and upcoming TV rights fees, I cannot see them doing it with any kind of timeliness.

They're using the MLB infrastructure, which I understand is very good (I'm sure you know better than me though), so it's not exactly going to be the ROH disasters.

The PPV model is dead anyways, and this gives them guaranteed revenue from more sources than the dwindling number of people paying for them. They are now just live special events included in what you already pay for. The sucking sound you hear is all the streaming pirate sites getting sucked into a black hole.

I'd heard they would be using the MLB infrastructure. The things with that, and I have no numbers (only general gleaned knowledge) to back this up, is that mlb.tv is not exactly a hopping live service. Since blackout rules apply for MLB, most fans of a team cannot watch a game live. Reds play Rockies. Everyone in OH, KY, CO, WY cannot watch it live. And live is the key with WWE PPVs. My concern is for something like Mania and it's nearly 1 million buys. Can any stream handle that many people at once?

And while yes, MLB.tv has all the games archived VOD afterwards, I cannot imagine that many people watching a baseball game from yesterday, let alone one from 1985. Yet people are going to be watching the shit out of the WWE back catalog.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic idea and the best possible network solution.

You have to buy in 6 month chunks which is a deal breaker to me. I have no interest in their current TV and PPVs so being stuck in a six month contract just for the old stuff doesn't work. If I could do a month here or month there and marathon a bunch of WCCW or Mid South that would be cool. But six months a pop does not fit with what I'd want it for.

Eventually they are going to add all the territories that they have bought the libraries of. Here is the list:

Just from the pov of bringing I old nitros and stuff this does have appeal beyond their current fan base. A lot of WCW fans just walked away in 99, the chance to rewatch it could have big appeal.

I do think its a massive gamble though, and risks a lot on initial appeal without the ability to much in the way of extra programming. It's not like Netflix where they're going to drop House of Cards as a big incentive, what you start with is what you get, old shows, PPVs, NXT and presumably poor low budget extras like legends house.

• 2 weeks later...

That crowd wanted one thing: Daniel Bryan. WWE did not deliver on that front. Probably for the best, as if he didn't win I think the crowd would have been 'worse'.

As far as the Rumble itself:

Eliminator: It worked in that they mentioned it as it was going along. Sometimes things can get lost. Glad that this did not.

Comedy: Didn't work this year.

Surprise Entrants: Lame. All of them.

Storylines: Progressed 3 by my count, but only one is new.

Kofi spot: Not the best, but still 'the spot' of the Rumble.

Overall: Poor rumble. Having only one viable option to win really hurt. Yeah, most have no chance, but give me 4-5 so I am not just waiting until the end.

PPV: It sucked. Hard.

That crowd wanted one thing: Daniel Bryan. WWE did not deliver on that front. Probably for the best, as if he didn't win I think the crowd would have been 'worse'.

Totally disagree. If Daniel Bryan had at least participated in the Rumble and been eliminated, they would have gotten mega-heel heat on whoever eliminated him, and they could build something off of that.

I didn't watch the PPV, but other than Heroes of Wrestling, I personally cannot remember a big PPV being this universally shat upon. (Granted, I don't know anything about WCW PPV's from back in the day, so I'm working from a limited knowledge.) But even Mick Foley tweeted something to the effect of "Does @WWE hate their fanbase? I've never been so disgusted by a PPV."

Anyone with a pair of eyes and ears knows that the fans want Daniel Bryan and they want him main eventing immediately. Unfortunately, Vince McMahon and HHH have their heads crammed so far up each other's asses, that they are digesting each other's meals. I have never seen a company that is so stuck in the past and afraid to embrace change. And yes, I am fully aware that Cena sells more merch than Bryan, but if your business decisions are based on who sells the most T-shirts and not what your customers VOCALLY tell you night after night after night, then you are failing. On a cataclysmic level.

Mysterio was only booed because he wasn't Bryan.

The company is just in such a weird place right now. This is supposed to be the best time of the year creatively, and instead it feels like watching a company that has no idea what it wants to be anymore. Do they want a tag division, or do they just want mini lucha guys in comedy spots? Do they want to prepare for the future and elevate some people or just continue to ride the same horses until they can't go anymore? A 50 year old grandfather with a facelift won the Royal Rumble after being in for about six minutes.

The Wrestlemania card looks terrible right now.

Cena vs Wyatt

Orton vs Batista

Lesnar vs Taker

Punk vs Triple H

Bryan vs Sheamus again, I guess?

Goldust vs Cody (which sucks cause they were an awesome team)

The two talented guys from the Shield losing to Roman Reigns in a three way?

Right now, the only draw of the Network is a bunch of shows I've already seen, because the current product isn't worth the money.

Mysterio was only booed because he wasn't Bryan.

The company is just in such a weird place right now. This is supposed to be the best time of the year creatively, and instead it feels like watching a company that has no idea what it wants to be anymore. Do they want a tag division, or do they just want mini lucha guys in comedy spots? Do they want to prepare for the future and elevate some people or just continue to ride the same horses until they can't go anymore? A 50 year old grandfather with a facelift won the Royal Rumble after being in for about six minutes.

The Wrestlemania card looks terrible right now.

Cena vs Wyatt

Orton vs Batista

Lesnar vs Taker

Punk vs Triple H Kane

Bryan vs Sheamus again, I guess?

Goldust vs Cody (which sucks cause they were an awesome team)

The two talented guys from the Shield losing to Roman Reigns in a three way?

Right now, the only draw of the Network is a bunch of shows I've already seen, because the current product isn't worth the money.

Fixed, and now even worse