Random wrestling thoughts

Been sitting here for the past half hour trying to enter the Post Wrestling G1 prediction contest.  And it is way harder than I thought it would be.  Predicting block/overall winner(s) is rather simple.  Then looking at the schedule and trying to have drama on the last day and working backwards with points. And then you look multiple guys have zero points.  And then you try a spreadsheet.  And that was not wise.   Now I feel like a need a room full of white boards and a montage.

All that to say, new respect to Gedo for booking all of this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Asuka is so distracted by Ellsworth appearing at the PPV that she leaves herself vulnerable and loses the match. I hate this gimmick. It was overplayed 20 years ago. There are literally adult fans that are younger than this stupid gimmick. You would think even the biggest idiot would be professional enough to avoid being distracted and finish the match.  

"What, there is someone standing there! I can't comprehend this!"

This is bad enough when it is the heel who is distracted and loses, but it makes the babyface look like a complete dunderhead. Why should I cheer for a babyface who loses because he/she is an idiot? Nobody cheated. Nobody interfered. The babyface totally lost focus and cost himself/herself the match.

This isn't a slam against Asuka's characterization specifically. It is a slam on this stupid overused meme. It is used constantly, and it needs to stop.

Also: Wow that slap to Ellsworth last week was incredibly stiff. I would be ticked off if that was me. He looked like he was legit knocked silly. I don't think he expected her to hit him that hard.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, old man rant here. Get off my lawn.

Is it just me or do championships mean nothing in the WWE? It used to be that pro wrestling revolved around the championship. In addition to the prestige, the champion would get more outside opportunities, a lot more money, and more perks within the organization. Everyone wanted to be the champion for that reason. Wins and losses mattered because winning moved you closer to a title shot and the winner earned more money that night than the loser. (All in storyline, of course.)

These days, that angle has been totally abandoned.

Plus there are way too many champions in WWE. Being a champion means a lot less now than it did 30 years ago, because there are literally twice as many champions.

11 hours ago, S-T said:

OK, old man rant here. Get off my lawn.

Is it just me or do championships mean nothing in the WWE? It used to be that pro wrestling revolved around the championship. In addition to the prestige, the champion would get more outside opportunities, a lot more money, and more perks within the organization. Everyone wanted to be the champion for that reason. Wins and losses mattered because winning moved you closer to a title shot and the winner earned more money that night than the loser. (All in storyline, of course.)

These days, that angle has been totally abandoned.

Plus there are way too many champions in WWE. Being a champion means a lot less now than it did 30 years ago, because there are literally twice as many champions.

There was a point in time when Raw only had a World Champion (who was always HHH) and the tag champs. I don't miss those days.

I'm looking back to the 1980's. So when I say old man rant, I mean old man rant. 🙂 They would make a point about how the winner of a match would get more money, even when there was no title on the line and neither was contending for a title.

Back when I started watching, there was a primary singles champ, a secondary champion, and a set of tag team champs. Now both WWE shows have their own primary, secondary and tag champs. Yes, WCW and WWF duplicated titles, but these were separate companies.

I thought WCW handled the US title better than WWF handled the IC belt, because in WCW former world champions held the US belt. (Back then it was the NWA on TBS.) Being champion was so prestigious that former world champs would covet the US title in addition to the world championship. In WWF, when someone held the primary belt they never went back to the secondary belt. (At least not until the late 1990's or early 00's.)

Both shows have a World Title, Secondary title , women’s and tag belts. Plus the cruiser belt, which is basically it’s own roster. I don’t think the tag divisions are as healthy as they could be, but it seems reasonable enough now. 

I'd say NXT does the best with their champions, if you count NXT as WWE (and I can understand both sides of that discussion).  Everyone has an eye of the champion, title shots have to be earned and they don't happen all that often.  Beyond being just an amazing match, the most recent Mustache Mountain vs. Undisputed Era match was entirely about how important the Tag Team Championships were to those four men.

Side note: If you haven't watched that match, do so.  I went in spoiled (which I hate and normally kills it for me) and it didn't matter.  I was totally sucked in and loved every minute.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

Nikolai Volkoff (70), Brian Christopher (46), and Brickhouse Brown (57) have all passed away.

Brian Christopher is the one that shook me. 46 years old. Way, way too young.

😞

I was (and still am, admittedly) a huge Rikishi and Too Cool mark. Scotty is a trainer for NXT. Rikishi is basically a hype man for his very successful sons. But, poor Brian never got it together again. I was extremely saddened to see his passing, but after such a chaotic life, I hope he’s finally found peace. And my heart goes out to the King. No father should ever have to bury a son. 

On 7/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, Preston said:

No father should ever have to bury a son. 

Agree, especially the way this happened. The people around him will always wonder if they could have done more so he didn't feel like suicide was his only way out. (Most likely, they couldn't.) So tragic.

And doesn't a jail have procedures in place to prevent this sort of thing?

We are so blessed to live in a time and place where parents burying children is much less common than it has been historically - medical advances, better sanitation and so forth. It wasn't all that long ago when it was just expected that some kids would not survive to adulthood.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:07 AM, S-T said:

And doesn't a jail have procedures in place to prevent this sort of thing?

It happens all the time. My dad worked in the prison system his whole life and came across a lot of attempted suicides. Sometimes he got them in time and sometimes he didn't. A person that is determined to die is going to find a way to do it and you can't watch someone all the time no matter how hard you try. It literally takes less than a minute. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oof...that hurts. The guy was a Canadian legend before being a pro wrestler.

The story goes that at the Calgary Stampede (kind of like a World's Fair, but for rednecks) there was an anvil throwing contest. It was a joke because no one could get the anvil more than an inch off the ground. Neidhart walked up and picked the fucker up and threw it. Not only confounding the contest throwers, he actually set a world record that, as far as I understand, still stands today.

He was exciting in the ring and, though I don't think he ever got the credit for it, I thought he was fun on the mic. He wasn't the best talker, but he was electric. The Hart Foundation was the shit. So fucking great. 

One of the last times I saw him in a match was the Canadian Stampede version of In Your House. The Hart Foundation was supposed to be the heels, but that changed when they went to their home town. Brian Pillman gets a pop for the ages, for fuck's sake. Brilliant match. Brilliant fun.

Start at about 5:30 to see the entrances. RIP Anvil.

Edit: Holy fuck, these guys all look amazing in 1997. 

• 2 weeks later...

The 'Who Attacked Alistair Black" story in NXT is this amazing mix of corny, stupid and awesome.  The security footage being 'enhanced ' to 'clearly' see a lone figure standing on a rooftop?  I love it so much.  And what impresses me is that Black gets hurt and they put this all together in a few days.   And I have no idea who will be revealed as the attacker.  A mystery that is an actual mystery?  Bold move.

• 2 weeks later...