Random wrestling thoughts

Wow! Great find! According to this page, it's Benoit.

After doing a little more digging, it looks like it was a mini-comic. Here's an excerpt from an interview with editor Ruben Diaz:

Where did the idea of a Marvel vs WCW cross-over come from? What was your role in this project?

Ruben Diaz: As the editor, I commissioned it and was part of the pitch to WCW.

I worked on the pitch for the WCW/MARVEL crossover somewhere between 1998-2000. The most we got out of it was producing a mini-comic for a toy license of theirs. S.L.A.M. Force, I think. Bill Roseman wrote it and Michael Ryan did the art. The premise had the WCW characters at the time as agents fighting supernatural threats. It served somewhat as a proof of concept that never went anywhere either. We had other spec scripts to show how we’d handle the characters, with one that involved Chris Benoit meeting up with Wolverine.

A few artists drew pin-ups and a sample of sequential art that I recall you may have uncovered. Adam Pollina did Hulk vs. Hulk. JJ Kirby did a sick pin-up of Goldberg. Oscar Jimenez did a spectacular Sting in a cemetery.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/27/2020 at 7:58 AM, Dread said:

Damn...I would have written the fuck out of Chris Benoit meeting Wolverine.

My mind went to dark jokes VERY quickly there, none of which I will share, lest I come across as a detestable human being. Or moreso than usual.

I'm on a massive Hangman Adam Page kick at the moment. Here's his last PPV entrance with a crowd:

• 4 weeks later...

It was kinda the philosophy they went with when they moved to Fox last year.  Put the more established names on the new Fox show to drive numbers.  At the same time, you let Paul Heyman (who was 'in charge' of RAW at the time) take up-and-coming, somewhat unknowns and slow build them into stars.  Then ratings started to go down (because obviously they would), but it was reported that Vince was finally onboard with a long play this time.  Then pandemic, ratings fall faster and Heyman is fired as guy in charge.

10 hours ago, Professor said:

It was kinda the philosophy they went with when they moved to Fox last year.  Put the more established names on the new Fox show to drive numbers.  At the same time, you let Paul Heyman (who was 'in charge' of RAW at the time) take up-and-coming, somewhat unknowns and slow build them into stars.  Then ratings started to go down (because obviously they would), but it was reported that Vince was finally onboard with a long play this time.  Then pandemic, ratings fall faster and Heyman is fired as guy in charge.

Yup, absolutely this. Heyman wanted to build Raw around Seth Rollins, while bringing in guys like The Street Profits and Ricochet to boost them up the card. But Vince is Vince and things always go sour.

22 hours ago, Dread said:

Rumour I heard is Aleister Black (who's rad) is coming back with a new gimmick.

Yeah, my understanding is that Vince actually likes Black (unlike Riccochet and other Heyman projects) but thinks that his current gimmick is "limiting". So, I'm steeling myself for Aleister Black, the clog-dancing Dutchman*.

*I'm not really - I don't watch WWE anymore as I refuse to give it money.

6 hours ago, Molly said:

I don't understand how someone can not like Ricochet. Dude is an incredible athlete that oozes charisma. 

Oh well, he'll be great in AEW. 

I first saw him as Prince Puma in Lucha Underground and I was shocked (and still am) about his standing suplex. It's the most amazing physical feat I've seen other than The Mountain beating strength records set during the eddaic sagas. Here, he's doing it to Rey Mysterio, but he did it to guys who were a lot taller and heavier than him. A lot.

Did WWE actually ban wrestlers from earning extra money outside of WWE? That's awful, especially since they are all independent contractors.

@The Master mentioned this on his Twitter page too.

WWE has always treated its employees terribly. (And they are employees in every real sense.) It really is too bad that Jesse Ventura couldn't get a union going in the 1980's. And Hulk Hogan is a lowlife, which we all knew, but being a snitch makes it worse.

The bit that truly shocks me is WWE insisting they have the rights to wrestlers' actual names, notwithstanding 95% wrestle under a WWE-chosen name so that they can own the rights to that moniker. I have NO idea how that is enforceable legally, even without knowing the nuances of American Intellectual Property law.

A point made by Lance Storm:  What about someone like Xavier Woods? 

Xavier Woods is his WWE stage name.  WWE owns that name.  That is clear and justified.  No issues. 

Real name is Austin Watson.  WWE claims they own that too.  Big issue there, not sure if legal, but say it is. (I doubt that, but not a lawyer.)

But Austin Creed is his online name.  Everything he does online is branded under the Austin Creed name.  Can WWE (falsely) claim ownership of that as well?

What if he decides one day to put on a lucha mask & calls himself El Hijo Del Creed?  Or he changes it to GoldenGirlsFan4Life?

The entire thing is stupid.