Random wrestling thoughts

11 hours ago, Molly said:

Mark my words, barring injury or scandal, Sonny Kiss will be AEW Champion before the decade is out. 

Definitely TNT Champion. And I think if the stars align, then Sonny could definitely be the main champ in the next 9 years. The Fight for the Fallen shot at Cody and Sonny's entrance clearly suggest that AEW are fans, but are going for a more organic groundswell push. By which I mean, Sonny is not currently on the Jungle Boy trajectory (which is slow enough as it is), but enjoying finding some footing in teaming with Janela (who has more of a ceiling). Or more concisely, Jungle Boy's a regular on Dynamite, Sonny is a regular on Dark.

I think with AEW, not only have they not had a full year's TV but most of it has been in the COVID era, they are front-loading the angles they wanted to do (Moxley taking on inaugural champ Jericho/Inner Circle, Hangman Page clashing with the Elite/the impact this has on FTR/Young Bucks, Cody's betrayal at the hands of MJF). Now that only the tag angle is still playing out, it's going to be interesting to see who gets pushed. There's inevitable singles runs for the likes of Page, Omega and Darby; there's recent signees such as Brodie Lee, Brian Cage, Lance Archer, Ricky Starks and Eddie Kingston to work in; you still have upper midcarders such as MJF, Cody and the absent Pac to consider, and finally, up-and-comers such as Jungle Boy, Sammy and Scorpio Sky. I think Sonny is behind all of them in the pecking order, but once crowds are back to give immediate feedback as to who they want to see more of, we'll have a better idea of likely booking in that AEW does react to fan perception for the most part.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only AEW viewer that's just not into Cody? That's not to say I dislike him. He's a solid worker with great promos, but he just feels out of place on the show. In fact, I was all-in (HA HA) on Cody, up until he lost to MJF. His character has seemed aimless since then, and taking time off to film that game show hasn't helped. Honestly, it feels like the company has moved on without him. And if / when Omega takes the title from Moxley, he's gonna be the new face of it all.

Cody is really trying to do this old school babyface thing. I don't think I like it. Personally, he needed to lose that dog collar match to Brodie Lee. 

The whole thing reads like a handsome man in a perfectly tailored suit wants to be a Dusty Rhodes babyface, when he doesn't realize, he's Ric Flair. 

44 minutes ago, Molly said:

Cody is really trying to do this old school babyface thing. I don't think I like it. Personally, he needed to lose that dog collar match to Brodie Lee. 

The whole thing reads like a handsome man in a perfectly tailored suit wants to be a Dusty Rhodes babyface, when he doesn't realize, he's Ric Flair. 

Agreed. It's hard to tell if kayfabe Cody doesn't realize this, or if real Cody doesn't see it.

He needs to somehow* win the AEW title then immediately turn heel. Let him have a good 9-month reign before someone like Hangman knocks him down a peg.

*I saw "somehow" because they'll have to get around that "never challenge for the title again" stip.

For my part, I think Cody's arc up to the dog collar match has been excellent. I don't think winning the title back buries Brodie, nor his wins over Cassidy buries OC's post-Jericho momentum, but I think we're in a holding pattern until Cody's next opportunity comes around.

I say that because he's positioning himself as the RVD of AEW. Which is to say, he doesn't need the main belt to be on the card and would rather explore storylines as the 2nd/3rd billed singles storyline on the card. It helps him, it helps his opponents (see the TNT open challenge) and it frees up space for AEW's main event scene. My own theory is that he loses the title to Darby, turns heel and then looks to work with upcoming faces proper (a full programme with Jungle Boy, Will Hobbs, heck even putting over the upwardly mobile Hangman Page).

At the very least, I think he'll book himself better than his wife books herself. And I say that hoping/without thinking Brandi has full creative control of her character.

Well, promoting her being hired by AEW and giving her the book will coincide with her interests!

I don't know her situation with NWA, NWA's situation and their dynamic with AEW, but they really need someone different than Omega booking the women's division when it only amounts to a single match on Dynamite per week (there's plenty on Dark, but the division deserves more). I'm hoping the oft-rumoured third hour on TV (which I believe is intended to be an additional show rather than a 3 hour Dynamite) will help ease that.

• 1 month later...

Jon Huber (AKA Brodie Lee) has passed away. He was 41.

It was a non-COVID-related lung issue, according to his wife.

That man busted his fucking ass turning around The Dark Order storyline, and had decades left in the business as an in-ring talent and manager. He will be sorely missed.

I honestly had to hold back tears going through some of the tributes to the guy. I was shocked enough with the news to begin with - it was on the BBC News homepage, which is my browser default homepage - but the tributes from his AEW/WWE colleagues broke me.

You can at least say that when he was Brodie Lee, he challenged for the AEW title, brutally won the TNT title in a sheer spectcale, and lost it, in his last match, in a compelling dog collar match. RIP Mr Huber.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Molly said:

Bryan Danielson has allowed his WWE contract to expire. 

I'm refusing to get *too* carried away by the news as the smart money is on him signing a part time deal with WWE for huge money as he plays out the autumnal years of his career.

The sliver of hope I do hold is that the wrestler in him is itching to have some dream matches outside of WWE before he retires, which doesn't neccessarily means he signs for New Japan or AEW, but has some kind of farewell indie tour.

• 2 weeks later...