Random wrestling thoughts

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I genuinely don't think so. If it is, it was massively ill-advised, and smells of Russo-era WCW. The rep of the company has been damaged, it looks like Tony Khan can't manage his employees, the belt being hot-shotted tarnishes its previously pristine rep, and though it drew a lot of engagement on Twitter and eye on Dynamite last week, the short (and possibly long-term) effects aren't worth that.

CM Punk is known to be exactly what he displayed at the press conference. That is a self-righteous prick who thinks he's the smartest man in the room. While it works for his character, it does not sit well backstage, and I think we saw a year's worth of frustration spew out in one moment.

15 hours ago, Missy said:

I genuinely don't think so. If it is, it was massively ill-advised, and smells of Russo-era WCW. The rep of the company has been damaged, it looks like Tony Khan can't manage his employees, the belt being hot-shotted tarnishes its previously pristine rep, and though it drew a lot of engagement on Twitter and eye on Dynamite last week, the short (and possibly long-term) effects aren't worth that.

CM Punk is known to be exactly what he displayed at the press conference. That is a self-righteous prick who thinks he's the smartest man in the room. While it works for his character, it does not sit well backstage, and I think we saw a year's worth of frustration spew out in one moment.

It all just seems very childish. TK doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. His biggest (debatable) star is a complete asshole/livewire, his EVP's are about as unprofessional as it gets. The idea of performers being management is the stupidest fucking idea on earth. This is not a sustainable model.

Agreed on all counts. Tony has Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko right there to keep the locker room straight, along with Sting, Jericho, and Christopher Daniels. He need to lean on them to make sure grievances are sorted sorted out before they become whatever transpired between Punk and The Elite.

Tony also to move Nick and Matt away from EVP roles. Yeah, they've been selfless when it comes to putting some teams over and helping push Hangman to a World Championship, the tag division has a smaller focus when the belts aren't on or being chased by them.

19 hours ago, Missy said:

Agreed on all counts. Tony has Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko right there to keep the locker room straight,

Right, two sixty-something men, one of whom has Parkinsons.

It isn't a work, but it has highlighted a major weakness of Khan's authority. The blame has to rest mainly on Punk's shoulders, who reportedly always intended to launch into that diatribe ahead of time without any prompting, which is massively unprofessional, damaging and whatever other words you want to use. And weirdly, Punk/Page haven't always had a bad relationship - there's footage of them singing with the crowd or something in the weeks after Full Gear and swapping fun tweets earlier this year but April/May time something changed, and Punk decided to go into business for himself against him both onscreen and in that presser.

Kenny & the Bucks? It's very unclear what influence they have as EVPs since Khan took full creative control of storylines away from them over Christmas 2019. But Cody said post-AEW that he didn't like the role and preferred just being a wrestler. One thing I would say about the altercation is they brought the AEW Head of Legal before the confrontation, so clearly it was a bit more than simply spoiling for a fight, but it would have been better just not to have happened that night in the first place. Punk was injured, thus would only have had a cameo on the following Dynamite, but what's to say the altercation doesn't happen 3 days later? You'd hope cooller heads would prevail, but the atmosphere would have been toxic as fuck.

Weirdly, the AEW product has actually pivoted for the better because/in spite of the drama as the last 4 Dynamites have all been over 1m in viewers, which hasn't been the case since August last year. Death Triangle get to be Trios champions and the tournament to crown the next AEW champ has led to some outstanding matches. Props to Moxley for doing this when he was meant to be having time off.

Bottom line: AEW's roster being as deep as it is means it can withstand the immediate loss of CM Punk, Omega, the Young Bucks, and all the people they have out injured, but with the caveat of Moxley being on hand. BUT it's been a bitter learning experience for Khan which he will need to learn from in that AEW still isn't 4 years old yet.

6 hours ago, slothian said:

Kenny & the Bucks? It's very unclear what influence they have as EVPs since Khan took full creative control of storylines away from them over Christmas 2019.

I can't remember exactly where I heard it (probably Meltzer or Post Wrestling), but it was stated that the EVPs have little to do with anything with the wrestling. Kenny is involved with the video game, Matt is merchandise and Nick handles BTE.

9 hours ago, Professor said:

I can't remember exactly where I heard it (probably Meltzer or Post Wrestling), but it was stated that the EVPs have little to do with anything with the wrestling. Kenny is involved with the video game, Matt is merchandise and Nick handles BTE.

That's pretty much my understanding too.

Maybe Punk has become embittered over the years, but WWE's decision to let him go is looking pretty good these days. And he has only himself to blame for that perception.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:04 PM, Dread said:

The idea of performers being management is the stupidest fucking idea on earth. This is not a sustainable model.

They should have learned that from 1990's WCW.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:54 PM, S-T said:

Maybe Punk has become embittered over the years, but WWE's decision to let him go is looking pretty good these days. And he has only himself to blame for that perception.

I mean, they didn't let him go as such - he walked out whilst working hurt and was fired from his contract on his wedding day. I would agree that Punk's personality of holding longstanding grudges has really overshadowed his talent and may well be his legacy. He should have used AEW as a clean slate, but he wasn't able to do so, and whatever fault can be attributed to Page/The Elite for grating on him, this is a situation of his own making.

• 3 months later...

Vince is back, and Stephanie has announced her resignation. The rumors of a forthcoming sale feel more concrete by the moment, but I can't figure who'd buy it.

The video library and Raw are tied to NBC and the two companies have long ties, so that's a possibility. However, Fox paid billions for Smackdown, so they're not gonna let that show go. I could maybe see them splitting the brands, one for each network, but then they have to split the rosters and that's messy. If it's just about the money, which of course it is, it could go to a Saudi conglomerate, but will US networks want to inherit that mess? I just cannot imagine who Vince is selling to.

15 hours ago, Missy said:

Vince is back, and Stephanie has announced her resignation. The rumors of a forthcoming sale feel more concrete by the moment, but I can't figure who'd buy it.

The video library and Raw are tied to NBC and the two companies have long ties, so that's a possibility. However, Fox paid billions for Smackdown, so they're not gonna let that show go. I could maybe see them splitting the brands, one for each network, but then they have to split the rosters and that's messy. If it's just about the money, which of course it is, it could go to a Saudi conglomerate, but will US networks want to inherit that mess? I just cannot imagine who Vince is selling to.

Fox and NBC are both Disney, so there is that. I can see it getting a platform on FX, but I'm beginning to think that it will be close to folding without some decent guiding hand with a long-term plan.

Edit: Every rumour I'm seeing is that it's a done deal with the Saudis. Jesus. Goodbye WWE.

At present WWE is denying the Saudi rumors, but it's only a matter of time. They have to deny them while they ready investors, networks, talent, etc. before ink is set to paper. If true, they're taking the company private once more, so there are a lot of moving piece in play.

This investment firm already owns Newcastle United and a golf tour, so adding WWE to their brand of sports would be a big win for their propaganda campaign which strives to make their blood money legitimate in the West.

18 minutes ago, Missy said:

At present WWE is denying the Saudi rumors, but it's only a matter of time. They have to deny them while they ready investors, networks, talent, etc. before ink is set to paper. If true, they're taking the company private once more, so there are a lot of moving piece in play.

This investment firm already owns Newcastle United and a golf tour, so adding WWE to their brand of sports would be a big win for their propaganda campaign which strives to make their blood money legitimate in the West.

Tony Khan has probably already been on the phone with Sami Zayn. Haha!

On top of all the women, he's one of the people I feel the worst for. The man is in the hottest storyline in WWE -- a storyline he made off the back of his own humor, charm, and relatability -- and he's cooked if this deal goes through. Hopefully he's not got long left on his contract, 'cause they'll have him in a barrel over a barrel otherwise.

I need to see an El Generico is All Elite banner in 2023.

35 minutes ago, dc20willsave said:

I almost feel sorry for Stephanie. She comes in, her and the hubby start to turn things around, and then her dad comes back with his impending lawsuits, kinda forces her out, and now he's likely trying to sell the company out from under her.

Well, the Saudis wouldn't allow a woman CEO, methinks.

Vince would rather sell his family's company to a monarchy soaked in blood than allow it to be inherited by his daughter and son-in-law. Vince objectively has no morals, having covered up his own rapes and the murders of others, so it shouldn't be surprising he'd make this deal. But still, WWE's been in the family for 70+ years and the family has been in the business for 100+ years, but what does he care; Vince hates wrestling and loves money, and that's all this is about.

Will always remember the first ROH ladder match, bussed all the way to Chicago to see that. Another show dude stole my chair out from under me, after the show I saw him in front of a nearby bar just chilling and talking with fans. 38 years old is too damn young.

The news trickling out is that he was involved in a head-on collision. Both of his daughters were in the car. One is having back surgery to restore mobility to her legs, the other is "stable and resting." Mixed reports indicate a fourth person was in the car and they too died, but it's unclear if this is accurate and / or if they were an adult or child.