Random wrestling thoughts

ROH can probably get in line behind his wives, once you give money to Ric you'll have fun trying to get it back.

You know, I often watch modern WWE and think how much better the top tier talent was 10 years ago, but I'm going back and watching a couple of classic Rumbles and it really just comes down to Steve Austin and The Rock being so far and away above everyone that its unfair to compare. Especially Rock, who more than anyone I've ever seen in wrestling looks like an absolute star. I'm on his 2002 match with Jericho right now, and the dude is ripped, lean, over 6ft tall, I mean, he's Vince McMahon's wet dream. The camera flash on his entrance is amazing, its like its own huge light show. I like Cena, Batista and the guys that came up since, and I admire Taker, Michaels and HHH but not one of them is half the star that Rocky was and is.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love non-traditional versions of wrestling themes, beatbox, kazoo, whatever. I wish they'd hire a swing band to do intros for the slammys, it would awesome to hear some themes played that way.

I'm always psyched for the Rumble. This show actually marks the 10th anniversary of my becoming a real wrestling fan. I watched a couple of Sunday Night Heats into the lead up and figured what the hell, I'll watch the Rumble. I knew the deal with wrestling and the Rumble because I'd watched some shows as a kid, but this sold me on it.

Its a hell of a long time to have a pastime that makes most people think you're some kind of simpleton.

As I did with TNA, I'm recording my live thoughts on RR here.

Zeke(Ezekiel) VS Christian opens the show.

Christian won, it was an ok opener, nothing special.

Miz is facing MVP, tonight.

Match starts, fast match so far. Miz one by roll up.

Sheamus VS Randy Orton is up now. Fans are chanting for Orton. Cody interfered, Sheamus is still champ, and still looks inferior to everyone. Randy beats up Legacy, Sheamus kicks Randy. It wasn't that great.

Mickie VS Michelle is next. Match lasted ten seconds, Mickie won with a DDT.

Taker VS Rey is next. Taker won, don't know how. Only match worth watching so far.

Rumble up next.

Edited by suavestar

It makes the journey to Wrestlemania a lot more interesting, if nothing else.

Now we could actually be looking at Edge/Jericho and Shawn/Taker as the main events.

Of course, that would mean HUN-TOR on the undercard, so maybe not.

It makes the journey to Wrestlemania a lot more interesting, if nothing else.

Now we could actually be looking at Edge/Jericho and Shawn/Taker as the main events.

Of course, that would mean HUN-TOR on the undercard, so maybe not.

I look at HUN-TOR vs Seamus as a given, probably half the reason that the guy has the title. I'm fine with that too, I presume that once the mini-issue of DX vs the Straight Edge Society is ended by a DX break-up and Punk and Gallows taking the belts the Michaels vs Taker and HHH vs Paleface issues are going full-steam straight to Mania.

Still annoyed about HHH eliminating Punk with such ease. Its like unless a guy was on the roster before him, sells more merch than he does or is one of his chosen then he feels the need to make it clear that he can beat them any time he likes. I mean, this doesn't make Punk look like a credible threat to those belts. I just think that they gave HHH a big push ten years ago and at least as a babyface they've never stopped booking him like a rookie monster they are trying to get over. The man has been World Champion over ten times! Making other guys competitive with him couldn't reduce his own credibility if he had 20 minute 50/50 matches with everyone of the undercard for a year! In fact going 20 minutes with HHH in competitive fashion would immediately elevate the following talent to competitive near-main event status- Kofi Kingston. The Miz. MVP. Drew McIntyre. Ted Dibiase. Matt Hardy. R Truth. Ric Flair made a career elevating guys like that. HHH made a career keeping them down.

Take this with a grain of salt, but in Japan it was announced that Antonio Inoki is going into the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

The grain of salt I'm taking that with is so big that it could have prevented the gritting shortfall during Britains recent snow troubles and still had enough left over for my grandmothers vegetables (those things were just boiled sodium).

Still, it could well be true, if fact I hope it is. WWE's hof needs a more international flavour. Hope they acknowledge Inoki's title win, whether they accept it as official or not.

Very happy for Joey if that's true. He's a good guy and deserves to go farther than his initial run indicated. He actually quit the business last year to get his problems sorted and from what I've heard, he's in a much better place now.

Joey Mercury has apparently re-signed with WWE. I hope this means he kicked his drug problems for good. The way he kicked his habit works perfectly into the CM Punk storyline.

He'd be a perfect addition to that stable. Fantasy booking for post-Wrestlemania when Rey is out getting surgury again- Punk and Gallows are getting up in John Morrison's shit. Morrison brings in his old tag partner and a big match for Smackdown the next week is signed. Match starts, Morrison is in, he makes the hot tag, Mercury turns around and nails him in the face. He gets his head shaved right then and there, whilst gallows hold Morrison down to watch. Once shaved, Mercury delivers a promo talking about how while Johnny Nitro was becoming John Morrison, he was dealing with pill addiction. While John was winning titles, Joey was getting fired. Now that he's drug free and alcohol free he can finally prove that he is better than John Morrison. Issues spin out from there, I imagine Matt Hardy would want to get involved.

When did everyone just up and decide Matt Hardy was shit? Yeah, he's an underachiever from a booking standpoint, but he's still one of the best workers on the roster.

I want him to work a storyline which actually means something, and not be thrown into stuff that he is not needed. Which is what's happening these days.

Throwing Matt in is a nice counter to Morrison fighting a 3 on 1 feud. Matt is the natural choice being underutilised, over with fans and a good worker. Matt's got history with a lot of these people, and best of all it creates a midcard feud that people will get into as a big deal and elevate interest in all involved. I like Matt a lot, he's been criminally misused in the last few years. The whole heel turn thing, it was so ill-advised. Plus Punk got rid of Jeff too, so it builds off that.

TNA President Dixie Carter spoke to Fred Tropel of CanMag.com and explained that TNA Wrestling is going up against a corporate juggernaut that will stop at nothing to put them out of business.

“Our competition may not have the same opinion that competition is good for an industry and take every opportunity to try to shut us down," she said. "I mean, it is the truest of David-and-Goliath situations, but we are scrappy. We will not take no for an answer, and we are going to have great success."

With everything that WWE has going for them, Carter believes her company has a better in ring product and knows what the fans want.

"I think that these days you don’t have to be a bigger-than-life cartoon character. I mean, it’s much more about reality and what these guys can do in the ring. They are amazing athletes," Carter said. "I can have an all-pro football player, an NBA star on, and they say, 'We could never do something like this.' You have no off season. It's 52 weeks a year, and then we tour in between that. These guys are incredible athletes, and we do focus on the athleticism on our show much, much more."

She's delusional. If the WWE wanted to put them out of business, they could. Why would they even bother when they don't consider them competition right now.