Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

World Wrestling Entertainment® (NYSE: WWE) today announced that Gorgeous George, the man often credited with creating American pop culture and who set the standard for future WWE Superstars and influenced such greats as Muhammad Ali, James Brown and Bob Dylan, will be inducted into the WWE® Hall of Fame on March 27, 2010. His 96 year-old former wife, Betty Wagner will accept the honor on his behalf. The Hall of Fame ceremony will be broadcast that night on USA Network at 11 PM ET from the Dodge Theater in Phoenix, Arizona.

“A mighty spirit. Crossing paths with Gorgeous George, was all the recognition and encouragement I would need for years to come.”

“Gorgeous George’s was a pop-culture innovator who took risks pushing the social envelope and did things that no other performer had ever dared to do,” said CEO and Chairman Vince McMahon. “He was a cultural tour-de-force who set the standard that many in the world of sports and entertainment still emulate today.”

The significance of Gorgeous George’s legacy led WWE Studios to option the rights to his story for a major motion picture slated to begin production in 1Q 2011.

Muhammad Ali, whose notorious boastful and arrogant style derived from George, stated, “I made up my mind after meeting Gorgeous George to make people angry at me...I saw 15,000 people comin’ to see this man get beat. And his talking did it. I said this is a good idea.”

Bob Dylan, the music poet, said, “A mighty spirit. Crossing paths with Gorgeous George, was all the recognition and encouragement I would need for years to come.”

Gorgeous George, born George Wagner, single-handedly changed the dynamics of not only wrestling, but entertainment and sports in the 1940s-1950s. His character was an arrogant aristocrat dressed in silk, lace and chiffon robes who spoke in a braggadocio style, often referring to himself as “The Toast of the Coast” and “The Sensation of the Nation.” Audiences around the country came to see Gorgeous George perform live, and tuned their TV sets in to see what he would say or do next, making Gorgeous George one of the biggest celebrities of his day, and an influence on pop culture for generations to come. As popular as Lucille Ball and Bob Hope, media observers believe more Americans purchased televisions to watch Gorgeous George perform than to see Milton Berle.

Others to be inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame on March 27 include Ted “The Million Dollar Man” DiBiase Sr., former Women’s Champion Wendi Richter, Maurice “Mad Dog” Vachon and Japanese legend Antonio Inoki.

Last night's ratings.

Raw 3.7

Impact 0.8

laughing.gif

So, TNA really is fucked then.

The following is a new tweet from the official Twitter page of TNA President Dixie Carter:

"Although its classic David v Goliath, 1 stone will not bring down our giant, its a different day. It'll take time & commitment, we have both"

God, I can't wait for TNA to die and Vince to buy the rights to the tapes.

It will never get better. They'll die before they change the booking team.

Their rating is the lowest it's been since 2006 and they're acting like nothing's wrong.

That's what annoys me. TNA has spent three and a half yearsscrewing over the fans, and ramming shit down their throats, and repeatedly saying "It'll work out." Russo's booking does not work, bringing in ex-WWE guys does not work, bringing in Hogan did not work. What will work is if you try and be the same fucking company you were back in 2005-2006 which is being the alternative to WWE, not a rip off, which you cannot do for shit.

With no chairs, apparently. :P

Bret Hart used a flimsy leg cast on Raw, and the shots looked really weak, so the Hart/McMahon match I see using a lot of the trash cans they seem to have, all new and shiny, and fold easily.

Anyway:

The Figure Four Weekly Newsletter is reporting that WWE recently issued another round of drug tests within the company, and it included a test given to those who will appear on the upcoming WrestleMania card. It should be interesting to see if the card changes at all prior to the event should anyone fail the test, or if there are any sudden suspensions after WrestleMania which could indicate failures prior to Mania, with WWE deciding to keep those talents on the card

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Doing what they can to stop guys getting concussions is not a bad idea

Exactly.

How dare they try to protect their workers.

Hadn't thought of that. I just hate the overall PG-ification of wrestling. Admittedly, I don't even watch anymore, so I haven't the foggiest why I even care.

Fine with it. TNA guys kill each other with big chair shots, I'm much happier when that sort of thing is a rarity.

You do know how this is going to go down:

TNA guy #1: Hey, WWE stopped using chair shots to the head.

TNA guy #2: Well.....that's a niche in the market! How about we start doing triple chair shots.

TNA guy #1: Yeah.......and the only way to win, is to pin your opponent, while hitting them with a chair!

TNA guy #2: Get Vince on the phone! We're on to a winner here!

Is this all "headshots" or just unprotected ones, I really don't mind having the guys get the hands up to block it. Hell have the announcer cover by saying "he tried protecting himself, but the damage was done."

There I just eliminated needless concussions without the loss of a classic staple of wrestling.

Is this all "headshots" or just unprotected ones, I really don't mind having the guys get the hands up to block it. Hell have the announcer cover by saying "he tried protecting himself, but the damage was done."

There I just eliminated needless concussions without the loss of a classic staple of wrestling.

I think all head shots in general with a chair. However the chair to "The back of the head" will probably still be allowed.