Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spike is covering a lot of the big stars, but I don't see them lasting another month in their current spot if their ratings don't improve. If they've given guys like Hogan and Flair guaranteed deals for the year then they might just cut their losses and strip TNA down to the bare minimum in order to save money.

TNA never needed Hogan ad his lot. They just needed a good writer. I can't believe that no-one at Spike has actually watched the show and demanded that change, rather than trying to bring on more big stars.

Honestly, given the book at TNA, the signing of RVD, a timeslot on Thursdays and one month I reckon I could have TNA doing a 1.3. Ditch Hogan & cronies, ditch Sting, get rid of Jeff Hardy for now because he's not a draw in that environment. Focus on a few logically booked feuds, build to the PPV's but don't skimp on the interesting quality matches on impact, its pretty damn simple. Its not like those new guys are drawing anyon who wasn't already watching.

Jeff Hardy doesn't work in TNA to the degree he did in WWE because firstly, their audience is 'smarter' than WWE's. They know he's only there to avoid drug testing. Secondly, when Jeff achieves in WWE its a genuinely awesome thing, its a guy who was always an underdog but also a fan favourite finally moving up the ladder and getting over based on crowd support. When he wins world titles in that company it means something. When he comes into TNA he's not this underdog, he's a star of a certain level who will automatically get main event treatment regardless of how hard he works, because thats the level he was at years ago in TNA anyway. Fans like to believe they make their own stars, and Jeff is the WWE's overachiever who no longer needs to overachieve.

RVD on the other hand could work because he's a nostalgia act to some extent but he's got the crazy anarchic charisma during his matches that really works in the sweatbox impact zone with its rabid fans. Treat him live ECW's RVD and you've got a top calibre fiery athletic babyface whose matches can be a centrepiece of the shows. There are a great many X-division matches you could put him into, a lot of guys he could wrestle for the first time and have it be an event. RVD vs Joe, Styles, Abyss, Wolfe, Daniels, either of the MCMG, anyone from the x-division. Have him wrestle a different X-division guy every so often and build it up as a special attraction for impact. Those guys are so creative that the matches will be entertaining.

I hate to say it, but the only thing that could save TNA is a fan of wrestling. At least a fan (with deep pockets) would see that Hogan, Bischof, Russo, etc were NOT the reason WCW had a good run. It was because WCW offered something fresh that most of their wrestling fans hadn't seen before. It wasn't NWO per se, it was the something new thing that got fans in. Of course you would have to take the Avis approach to it; "We're number 2, but we work harder". You have to accept that for a long, long time you won't beat WWE at their game. Just do your thing, be different, but not for the sake of it, be original, build your own stars, fuck of the nostalgia and build a decent future. To steal a line from Futurama, be like a shark, they've got no necks, can only look forward.

Joe's attackers revealed!

ninja_FF_Empire.jpg

Be honest, it's more realistic than what TNA will probably end up doing. Which is, having Joe show up and pretend nothing happened.

There is the option that the new regime thinks so little of Joe he is never heard from again

These days, would anyone miss him if that happened?

Holy shit. This may be in the running for worst Wrestlemania of the past five years.

Well, with the exception of HBK/Taker last year, that is still the worst Mania.

Speaking of that, their match will be last, definitely, Batista/Cena is just about to start.

MITB was definitely better last year, and I'm not entirely convinced that Taker/Shawn is going to be better this year.

When you put ten guys in a ladder match, you are asking for a fucked up cluster of a match. Also, I've never really enjoyed MITB past the first one.

HBK/Taker will be all about the stipulations this year.

I still think last year was worse, as the main matches were matches we've seen way to many times. The only match that was new was HBK/Taker and that's because it hadn't been done in ten years. Doesn't mean this mania isn't disappointing though.

Cena's entrance went from awesome to fucking shite in a matter of seconds, they had soldiers flipping guns, and when Cena came out, he just ran to the ring.

Swagger did a false cash in on Raw against Cena, when Cena started to no sell his beating with the case. Also, the guest hosts for the night, nobody cares.

Cody Rhodes is out indefinetly due to the punt. You know, the same punt that kept Cena down for about five minutes at HITC last year. Still, it could mean he'll come back wanting to get revenge on Orton and DiBiase, instead of doing nothing.