The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the liveblog of the conference where they unveiled that. I'm really excited to get my hands on it and see how it runs, but thus far a good 90% of its specs and features seem to be underneath the iPad's. Even the stuff they talk about being so special, like the stand, magnetic cover, and keyboard attachments, are things the iPad has had for a couple of years now (just not bundled with the device itself).

It seems like this may be the slightly more affordable alternative to the iPad, which would be really great. But if they want this to catapult them beyond and into the lead, they're gonna need more.

Technically the iPad also runs a full OS. It just doesn't work precisely the same way. And there's office programs on the iPad as well, just not Microsoft-labeled ones.

In any case, I'm not sure how this is going to appeal to businesses more than a regular netbook, ultrabook, or laptop. They say that the Pro model will be equivalent in price to an ultrabook, which vary from $800 to $1500, and the regular model will be somewhat cheaper. So why not just go with an ultrabook, netbook, or laptop, which will undoubtedly be a far better business computing experience for an equal or lesser price?

It runs a full OS, and runs Office. It's going to be big in business.

The running Office is the massive one for me. Why I've been so anti tablet is that it just can't replace a workstation for me. I touch type emails, blog posts, etc and tablets can't handle that.

As for appealing to business, easy, if the keyboard and stand combo make it as easy to use as a laptop, then all of a sudden you only need one device for your staff instead of two. I know a lot of companies that pay for their staff to have a computer (either desktop or laptop) and also an iPad. The computer allows them to do all of their back office stuff and the iPad is used more with clients. Granted, services like salesforce have helped the iPad with the back office stuff, but I still think this has a place.

Plus you have to remember that the majority of MS profits are from running business, so they have the history and knowledge to know what the IT departments need, so if this is a seemless plug in to the work environment, it could do big business.

Or it could crash and burn because people don't think MS is cool :)

• 1 month later...

Having a constant problem with my iMac, and YouTube. About seven times out of ten, the window crashes and says "Unable to load shockwave flash".

Anyone have any solutions, I've tried googling the answer, but it seems to be a common issue, that others are having, but no one can solve. I'm using Google Chrome as the browser.

Apple had to change their policy after that. The hackers said they have more exploits that they can use, but felt bad for what they did to the guy and say they will only do it to expose exploits from now on. They just wanted his Twitter account because it was 3 letters and had lots of followers. They went through 4 other accounts just to get to it.

It's a Chrome problem, unfortunately. I upgraded to Mountain Lion, started using Safari instead, and haven't seen the issue since.

So, you're saying if I want rid of the problem, I'd best switch to Safari? How is Mountain Lion as an OS?

I like it. It took some getting used to since they changed a lot of the trackpad gesture controls, but I found an app (BetterTouchTool) that lets you set your own gestures, so that's nice. Overall I'm happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having this minor annoyance with my ipod since 7/26. And I figured I would see if anybody here might have the solution.

I download podcasts in iTunes and manually sync them on my iPod touch daily. I delete the podcasts on the iPod as they are finished and delete them in iTunes before downloading the new episodes.

And for whatever reason, the 7/26 podcast of ESPN's PTI will not delete from my iPod. I delete it everyday. It does not show up on the iPod, just when I have it hooked up to iTunes. And it shows the podcast as having a length of 0:01, yet will play the full 22:00ish minute podcast.

Any ideas on how to make this thing go away for good?

Sounds like a weird glitch with either your library file or a not-entirely-deleted podcast file.

Try downloading the podcast again, then deleting it. Maybe that time it'll "stick."

If that doesn't work, I'd try going into the iPod's options in iTunes, telling it not to not sync any music or podcasts, sync the iPod so it removes all the audio content, then turn those sync options back on and re-sync everything back the way it was.

If worse comes to worse, you can restore the iPod back to its factory settings and set it up all over again, though you'll lose the save data for your apps so that's no fun.

• 2 months later...

All right! So, there's bound to be someone who can help me with this.

I am on OSX 10.4.11, a MacBook from '07. I have iTunes 9 on the laptop. I have a 3GS on iOS 4 synced with iTunes, that has a backup on this computer.

I also have a new shiny iPhone 5! Said shiny iPhone 5 will apparently not connect with either OSX 10.4.11 or iTunes 9 (could be both/either). I have to connect to iTunes to activate the phone, and I want to load the backup to the new phone.

Is there any way I can get the iPhone 5 to recognize either iTunes or the backup, or am I just fucked?

It's iTunes, OS X, and your mac, all together. You need to upgrade iTunes, which you can't because you need 10.6 (Snow Leopard), but you can't upgrade that either because your mac is too old for it. (Macs switched over to brand-new Intel architecture in 2008, and they stopped supporting pre-Intel macs some time ago)

For a laptop, 5-6 years is a very good lifespan; you're due for an upgrade anyhow. If you can get a new computer, I'd recommend that. Otherwise, there's other avenues you can utilize.

There should be a way to move "important" stuff like your contacts to your new iPhone via iCloud. Also, your iPhone should be able to re-download anything you've bought off iTunes.

Now, if you really need that backup, there's another last-ditch-effort-type thing you can do, if you can access someone else's computer that runs the newest copy of iTunes (can be Mac or PC, though Mac is recommended). Basically, you copy the backup file off your macbook, put it on a flash drive, then take it to the other computer and have that computer's iTunes use that backup file on your iPhone 5. That's a very in-depth process, though, so lemme know if you want to do that, and I'll see about writing up some instructions.

So, in short, you can either give up and use iCloud/iTunes to start over from the beginning, you can get a new Mac (recommended), or you can try the backup-switch procedure.

I'm at the point of going over to my uni's tech store and seeing if they offer financing options on new laptops over lunch, though I will likely end up transferring my library and backup to the new laptop.

Seriously thinking about taking the backup to the work computer, updating that iTunes, and just doing that, though. Might wanna right up those instructions.

Okay, so to find the backup file in Mac OS X, you'll need to go into your user's library file. Should be under "[username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup". It might give you trouble trying to actually find that folder since it's sometimes hidden. If it does, open Finder, then, under the "Go" tab at the top, then click "Go to Folder..." and type in "~/Library", without the quotes.

Once you navigate to the backup folder, you'll see something like this:

iTunesBackups.png

Those folders are your backups. The most recent folder should be the correct one if you've only been syncing the one iPhone previously. Take the two most recent folders, to be safe, and copy them over to a flash drive.

On the second computer, you just need to copy the backup folders into their proper place. Be sure iTunes is closed first.

On a Mac, it'll be in the same place, [username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup.

On a PC running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, it'll be under "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup."

On a PC running Windows XP, it'll be "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\Mobile Sync\Backup."

The rest of the instructions here are bits copied from this tutorial.

- Plug in the iPhone 5 to the computer, and at the “Set Up iPhone” screen, select “Restore from iTunes Backup”, tap Next, then connect the new iPhone to the computer.

- Select the most recent backup, then click “Continue”

- Wait, and when the transfer is finished the iPhone will reboot itself and everything from the old iPhone will be on the new one and ready to go.

If you've already started using the iPhone 5, all you need to do is restore it to factory settings and then it will reboot back into the initial setup screen, letting you follow the two guides outlined above. To do that:

- Open “Settings”, tap on “General”, tap on “Reset”, then tap “Erase All Content and Settings”

- Let the iPhone reboot, it will be erased completely and you can then follow the procedures outlined above.

That should do it for you. Let me know if you run into any hiccups along the way. Also, you may want to save the new backup file that will be created on the second computer when you sync your iPhone 5. That way you can put it on your new computer if/when you get one. I don't know if it'll need it, but it might.

• 1 month later...
It’s been official for a while now: iOS 6 Maps suck. Everyone from Tim Cook to my mother knows it, but now it’s getting scary. Victoria Police are advising people not to use iOS 6 Maps due to safety concerns. What are those safety concerns? Oh nothing, really, just people stranded deep inside a remote national park.

The Murray Sunset National Park is located around 70 kilometres from the bustling regional town of Mildura in Victoria, and any reasonable mapping software could surely tell that the two are vastly different. Not Apple Maps.

In the last few weeks, Mildura Police have been responding to rescue calls from motorists who have become lost in the national park after being sent there by Apple Maps. The software actually thinks Mildura is located in the middle of the park itself.

There’s no water supply in the national park and temperatures can reach almost 50 degrees in the summer sun, police say, making this a very serious issue.

Some of the motorists located by police have been stranded for up to 24 hours without food or water and have walked long distances through dangerous terrain to get phone reception.

Police have done their own tests and found that Apple Maps is in fact routing motorists into the middle of nowhere, and are telling people to ditch their iPhones until Apple fixes it.

This is worse than the time Apple sent people seeking a hospital to some stranger’s house. Here’s hoping it’s fixed soon. [Victoria Police]

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/12/victoria-police-dont-use-ios-6-maps/

I don't think this is all Apples fault, but if people are relying on their phone maps to get around instead of buying maps, I think it's time for them to remove it from their OS until it's fixed.

I ended up losing my iPod a few weeks back. Since I didn't buy anything stupid this past weekend, I'm debating if I want to buy a new one. Amazon and Best Buy both have Nanos and Touchs on sale for basically the same price. I'm debating if I want to invest in a new one now and which. I honestly have an Android phone so I don't see much use for most of the apps. Hell, all I really used my iPod for was music and podcasts.