The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

Hell must have frozen over, because I have a complaint against Apple. While trying to play any of my Dad's episodes of Rescue Me on my secondary monitor, I get the following message "This movie cannot be played because a display that is not authorized to play protected movies is connected. Try disconnecting any displays that are not HDCP authorized". So Apple is saying I can't play my legally purchased media, from my legally purchased laptop to my legally purchased monitor? Fuck you Apple, Its no longer 60/40 for movies, I'm going to the Pirate Bay for all of it now.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've waited and waited, and now Apple and Verizon have made a million dreams come true: the iPhone is coming to Big Red. After talking up his new LTE network a bit, Verizon CEO Lowell Mcadam confirmed a CDMA (non-LTE) version of the iPhone 4 is coming to Verizon Wireless next month. Talks started way back in 2008, and the phone has been in testing for a year -- it sounds like they wanted to get this one right. The phone will launch on February 10th for the standard $200 price for the 16GB model on a two year agreement, $300 for the 32GB version. Just to clarify and put any wild rumors to bed, the phone is Verizon 3G (EV-DO) only, no 4G data or GSM roaming. It's not a world phone or an AT&T + Verizon phone, it's just a Verizon phone.

Outside of Verizon connectivity, the phone is basically unchanged, although Verizon's CDMA network doesn't support simultaneous voice and data as with the GSM version. It does have the new antenna design we were hearing about last week, but that's just because CMDA requires a different configuration of antennas. (Apple says they didn't go LTE just yet because first-gen chipsets would force unwanted design decisions, and customers want a Verizon device now.) Software-wise the big innovation is five user WiFi hotspot functionality, something that's standard on Android phones, while Apple has kept the iPhone only able to tether directly to one computer.

http://www.engadget.com/apple/verizon-iphone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Engadget%29

I have several external hard drives, all NTFS formatted, so I cannot currently write to them from a Mac. I've read that if I format the drives, I'll be able to write data to them. However, will I still be able to use them on a PC?

Basically, I need these external drives to work on both types of machines.

• 3 weeks later...
Verizon is no longer accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 4, which launches officially next Thursday. After less than a day, the carrier announced that it had sold out of iPhone units available for customer pre-orders.

"The pre-order period for Verizon customers began today at 3:00 am ET and was expected to continue up until the launch date of February 10," Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White wrote in a research note, according to Forbes. "However, demand was so overwhelming strong that the iPhone 4 inventory dedicated to this pre-order period was used up in approximately 17 hours and the Internet portal closed this evening at approximately 8:10 pm ET."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/04/verizon-iphone-sold-out-17-hours_n_818640.html

My personal project right now is to build a hackintosh. First I'm going to install Mac OS X on my old desktop to see how the process goes, and if it all works well I'm going to build another one with the following specs:

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PNY VCG98GTEE1XPB GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

The motherboard is configured to run with an i7 chip, but being very stupid, I can not tell if it comes with the chip or not. Assuming that it does, a i7 chip, 6 GB's of Ram and a 1 TB hard drive running Mac OS for $560? That's awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
Apple officially announced the iPad 2 at a press conference today in San Francisco, California.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs appeared at the event and announced it will include front and rear-facing cameras for video, a much faster processor and it will be "dramatically thinner."

The price will be the same, starting at $499, and it begins shipping in the U.S. on March 11 and March 25 internationally. The iPad 2 comes in both white or black versions, and both AT&T and Verizon will support it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-official_n_830308.html#s247851

Agree with Jack, it's really nothing notable at all. Think about it. Computers always get smaller, faster and cheaper, so when a new version of something comes out, if the only difference is in those categories, then the company hasn't done anything exciting at all. But that is Apple's #1 strength, marketing.

If it's a 3rd thinner, I would have kept it the same thickness and added a slide out keyboard, but that's just me, I like to touch type. Or added some hi def output ports like HDMI, etc.

Guest TFG1Mike

Agree with Jack, it's really nothing notable at all. Think about it. Computers always get smaller, faster and cheaper, so when a new version of something comes out, if the only difference is in those categories, then the company hasn't done anything exciting at all. But that is Apple's #1 strength, marketing.

If it's a 3rd thinner, I would have kept it the same thickness and added a slide out keyboard, but that's just me, I like to touch type. Or added some hi def output ports like HDMI, etc.

they added HDMI well in the form of a conduit cable. Still it's possible

Apple can go fuck themselves. I can't wait to rid myself of every iteration of their existence from my IT life.

My business partner upgraded his phone iOS to the latest, only for that new OS to disable internet tethering on his 3GS. No warning this would happen, no reason, nothing. I get it, as a business they have developed a culture of lemmings based consumers who just assume that everything Apple does is automatically the best way to do things. But to anyone who actually likes to think for themselves, the whole Apple experience is just one massive head fuck.

Apple can go fuck themselves. I can't wait to rid myself of every iteration of their existence from my IT life.

My business partner upgraded his phone iOS to the latest, only for that new OS to disable internet tethering on his 3GS. No warning this would happen, no reason, nothing. I get it, as a business they have developed a culture of lemmings based consumers who just assume that everything Apple does is automatically the best way to do things. But to anyone who actually likes to think for themselves, the whole Apple experience is just one massive head fuck.

...how exactly was he getting 3G tethering anyway? AT&T doesn't allow it to be done. Was it jailbroken?

>.< It wasn't a supported feature. I strongly disagree with your statements about the Apple experience, but respect them. Mac OS X is amazing, and is no where near as constrained as iOS 4.0(-.3). I admit that compared to 2007, iOS is no longer amazing, but instead very stale. It does need more features, but I don't think its anywhere near the massive head fuck you mentioned. Apple made it very easy to make your mobile phone live between you and your computer and in my opinion really helped to spark the smartphone craze of today.

Of course it's a supported feature, it's an 'enable' option in the network settings. I'm in Australia, tethering has been officially supported by both Apple and our main 3 phone carriers since the end of 2009 I think. And it's still supported on the iPhone 4, it's not for the 3GS with the latest iOS. But they don't give you a warning like "upgrading to the latest OS on your device will disable some features" do they.

Doug I agree they sparked the smart phone craze, realising that making calls isn't that important, having a portable web browser of much much more importance to the users. I don't think they've done anything special with regards to the phone to computer experience. If anything their features have gotten worse since the iPhone introduction. I used to be able to use my iPod as a USB drive, I can't do that with my iPhone (unless jailbroken), as just 1 example.

You could be right, in that the experience is better with a Mac OS and not a Windows one.

Of course it's a supported feature, it's an 'enable' option in the network settings. I'm in Australia, tethering has been officially supported by both Apple and our main 3 phone carriers since the end of 2009 I think. And it's still supported on the iPhone 4, it's not for the 3GS with the latest iOS. But they don't give you a warning like "upgrading to the latest OS on your device will disable some features" do they.

Honestly I can not comment on this, because I do not know about tethering in other countries. I just know it was never a supported feature unless your iPhone was hacked in some shape or form in the united states.

Doug I agree they sparked the smart phone craze, realising that making calls isn't that important, having a portable web browser of much much more importance to the users. I don't think they've done anything special with regards to the phone to computer experience. If anything their features have gotten worse since the iPhone introduction. I used to be able to use my iPod as a USB drive, I can't do that with my iPhone (unless jailbroken), as just 1 example.

I disagree with your comment about the computer integration. In my experience, iTunes is the easiest way to transfer your purchased media, photos, mail, contacts, calenders and applications to a cellular device. Instead of having to do a manual transfer, or multiple apps, it is all in one place. The reason an iPhone can not be a USB drive is because of its software. Because you can download applications, and delete media from the phone itself, it needs complete control over its file system. A flaw? Yes, but I understand it. The features have greatly improved! Faster processor, more storage and camera quality are very important features.

You could be right, in that the experience is better with a Mac OS and not a Windows one.

Neither is better than the other. I prefer Mac OS X because I do alot with media, and my job is built on Mac Software. Windows operating system has many values, such as being more compatible with software and USB devices, and because of that I will always have VMWare Fusion installed on my Mac.