The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

Honestly I can not comment on this, because I do not know about tethering in other countries. I just know it was never a supported feature unless your iPhone was hacked in some shape or form in the united states.

Oz Biggest Phone Companies 'How to Guide' for tethering

Oz 3rd Biggest companies 'How to Guide' for tethering (who I'm with)

Why hasn't it been support in the US. As in what's the reason given by Apple or the phone companies?

I disagree with your comment about the computer integration. In my experience, iTunes is the easiest way to transfer your purchased media, photos, mail, contacts, calenders and applications to a cellular device. Instead of having to do a manual transfer, or multiple apps, it is all in one place. The reason an iPhone can not be a USB drive is because of its software. Because you can download applications, and delete media from the phone itself, it needs complete control over its file system. A flaw? Yes, but I understand it. The features have greatly improved! Faster processor, more storage and camera quality are very important features.

I understand the OS needs disk space, but Windows doesn't ask for 100% of my computers HDD and then dictates how I add files to it. Why not, when I first plug the phone in to the computer, doesn't itunes ask me if I want to segment a portion of the storage as a USB drive. Android handles the option, so why can't the iPhone. It's the one fits everyone approach that annoys me. Like I said a few days ago, with computers, faster, smaller (physical size), bigger (storage) aren't company specific, it's industry standard.

Neither is better than the other. I prefer Mac OS X because I do alot with media, and my job is built on Mac Software. Windows operating system has many values, such as being more compatible with software and USB devices, and because of that I will always have VMWare Fusion installed on my Mac.

Wish I could find the article, but I read an excellent OpEd about the benefits of both systems, open architecture vs closed architecture. Made a lot of valid points for both.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oz Biggest Phone Companies 'How to Guide' for tethering

Oz 3rd Biggest companies 'How to Guide' for tethering (who I'm with)

Why hasn't it been support in the US. As in what's the reason given by Apple or the phone companies

Until this year, AT&T was the only carrier avaible for the iPhone, and it honestly could not handle the data over load that would cause. Infact, because of the high density of iPhone's in New York, AT&T stopped selling phones in that area (Not sure if this is still true or not).

I understand the OS needs disk space, but Windows doesn't ask for 100% of my computers HDD and then dictates how I add files to it. Why not, when I first plug the phone in to the computer, doesn't itunes ask me if I want to segment a portion of the storage as a USB drive. Android handles the option, so why can't the iPhone. It's the one fits everyone approach that annoys me. Like I said a few days ago, with computers, faster, smaller (physical size), bigger (storage) aren't company specific, it's industry standard.

Honestly you should be able to, but Apple it touchy about it for what ever reason. That fact you can't see the file system is ridiculous.

If my entire iPod situation turns out bad, i have enough set aside where I can afford to get a new iPod. Now my question. Has anyone ever bought a refurbished iPod from the Apple Store or anything and can I get some advice on wether I should buy brand new or save a few books by buying the older refurbished model? I very rarely ever came close to using up the whole 8 GBs on my old iPod so I'm not worried about things like capacity. I only ever used it for music and podcasts and only ever put movies on when I went on long trips. So yeah, any advice would be appreciated.

If my entire iPod situation turns out bad, i have enough set aside where I can afford to get a new iPod. Now my question. Has anyone ever bought a refurbished iPod from the Apple Store or anything and can I get some advice on wether I should buy brand new or save a few books by buying the older refurbished model? I very rarely ever came close to using up the whole 8 GBs on my old iPod so I'm not worried about things like capacity. I only ever used it for music and podcasts and only ever put movies on when I went on long trips. So yeah, any advice would be appreciated.

Honestly, But it new. It's your hard earned cash, so get something worthwhile. I remember I used to think my 4 gigs was enough, untill I got 8, and then 16, and so on. Go ahead and go up a gig model, you never no! If your willing to wait and save, the iPod touch is a terrific buy! One could relate it to an old Atari System: Big initial fee, but handfuls of cheap ass games. Later on I'll post my entire list on why you should get an iTouch, but I need food right now.

How big is your music collection, Will? Mine's 42 gigs, and I just went for the 160 gig model cause I know I have a hugeass collection. I'd say account for expansion, and go with that estimate, so, maybe go for a 16 gig Nano.

And it depends on if you want all the new ridiculously shiny stuff, or the current Nano, which is smaller than the Shuffle, last I checked, and pretty useless. See if you can get an older Nano and go from there.

I declined a refurbished model, although I can't remember why. Maybe something to do with the price difference not being big enough to warrant taking a potentially inferior product.

My audio collection is now so huge that it's not unusual for me to carry both my 32gig touch and my 80gig classic around, if I've got space. I use the touch more for day to day but if I'm listening to an audio book it's most likely on the classic. I've got the entirety of Pratchett on there as well as all my Big Finish audio.

I'm not touching the new Nanos if I can help it. As for how much music I have, it's technically about 13 gigs but I only listen to about five gigs worth. The rest is stuff where I own the album but only listen to about two or three songs on it. The only reason, if I buy a touch, that I was thinking of getting a 16 gig was the thought that I might use a lot of the apps and that that would take up a bit of space.

I'm really pissed that the new Nanos don't play video. They are trying to force people to buy the Touch and Classic, which costs a lot more.

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm kinda angry about losing my iPod. It's a fourth generation Nano so it could play videos. It was good for what I had it for which was to play music and the occasional tv show episode I bought off of iTunes. What I'm probably going to do is, assuming it works alright, buy my friend's fourth gen off of her and then just put a bit of money aside for a few months and get a 16 gig Touch unless apple announces a new gen Nano that doesn't suck by then.

I'm really pissed that the new Nanos don't play video. They are trying to force people to buy the Touch and Classic, which costs a lot more.

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm kinda angry about losing my iPod. It's a fourth generation Nano so it could play videos. It was good for what I had it for which was to play music and the occasional tv show episode I bought off of iTunes. What I'm probably going to do is, assuming it works alright, buy my friend's fourth gen off of her and then just put a bit of money aside for a few months and get a 16 gig Touch unless apple announces a new gen Nano that doesn't suck by then.

Hey man, There is no 16, it goes straight to 32. You should seriously consider getting one, and this is why:

Portable Skype/AIM- With the built in VGA camera, you are no longer confined to your desk to talk with your friends.

Mail/Facebook/Youtube- Sometimes when your laying in bed, you just want a quick and easy way to check on every thing.

Safari- Internet in your hand, that's much better than your blackberry's.

Retina Display/Movies/Netflix- Movies and TV shows look AWESOME on the new iPod touch, and the screen is actually big enough that you won't miss any important details.

Games/Game Center- Its a poor mans version of an X-box and X-box live, except minus the 50 dollar a month fee.

Forward Facing Camera- Much better quality than your blackberry, and easier to send to your computer or facebook.

iTunes- Download your E-2 Pod-casts on the go!

iBooks/Kindle/Nook Apps- I downloaded the kite runner and was able to read it with no problem. Plus it comes with a Winnie the Pooh!

And that my friend is why you should gen an iPod touch.

I hated the new nano's also until I used one in person, it has a neat novelty. I still would not buy one though.

Doug, seriously, if Apple's not paying you, I'll be shocked.

:lol: I wish.

And how much extra do most of those services cost? FB/YT/Safari excepted, you have to pay for all of those other apps, or the content on 'em.

And all this can be yours, if you sell your soul to Apple!

Will already has a netflix account and there are freebies for the book app's I mentioned, silly Hannah! :)

Finally upgraded to an ios v4 and tried to live without a jailbreak but I couldn't even last a day. The things I couldn't live without were

- Pop up blocker (no annoying sms alert when playing a game or watching a video)

- Stop Rotating the screen (I like to read the web while lying in bed, stops the screen rotating)

- Custom SMS tones (only 8 to choose from is dumb and they could make money selling these, so I don't know why they don't)

- 3G unrestrictor.

- Themes - I could live without this, but changing icons, backgrounds, sms bubble colours, etc is a nice choice. Once again, they could make money selling themes, so I don't know why they don't.

Finally upgraded to an ios v4 and tried to live without a jailbreak but I couldn't even last a day. The things I couldn't live without were

- Pop up blocker (no annoying sms alert when playing a game or watching a video)

- Stop Rotating the screen (I like to read the web while lying in bed, stops the screen rotating)

- Custom SMS tones (only 8 to choose from is dumb and they could make money selling these, so I don't know why they don't)

- 3G unrestrictor.

- Themes - I could live without this, but changing icons, backgrounds, sms bubble colours, etc is a nice choice. Once again, they could make money selling themes, so I don't know why they don't.

The pop ups do get annoying, could be fixed.

There is a rotation lock, but only from iPhone 3gs and up.

There are custom tones, but you have to buy them.

Hmm, I couldn't find a rotation lock and I've got the 3GS, weird.

It's only ringtones you can change, SMS tones are limited to the stock 6, which in a large office is silly. If you have an official Apple link for how to change the 'new sms alert' tone, send it through.

Forgot another one, SBSettings. I swipe the top of the screen and lots of function commands appear (rotating lock, autolock, airplane mode, etc). Makes it really easy to change things while in an app and not having to get exit, then go in to the settings section.

Hmm, I couldn't find a rotation lock and I've got the 3GS, weird.

It's only ringtones you can change, SMS tones are limited to the stock 6, which in a large office is silly. If you have an official Apple link for how to change the 'new sms alert' tone, send it through.

Forgot another one, SBSettings. I swipe the top of the screen and lots of function commands appear (rotating lock, autolock, airplane mode, etc). Makes it really easy to change things while in an app and not having to get exit, then go in to the settings section.

Its under the multitasking options, Just doubletap the homebutton and scroll all the way to the left.

Ok, so what iPhone apps do people have as their must haves, can't live without. I'm slowly adding to my collection.

Yoda, when can I download the earth-2.net app :)

My most used apps:

Netflix

iBooks

Comicbook Lover

Flight Control

Inception (Great sleep aid)