The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using that logic, Gene Roddenberry invented the flip phone.

They actually mention that in the article. If someone designed a phone that looked like a communicator, they couldn't patent the design, because it was in a literary work.

It's not the tablet concept Samsung is challenging, it's that the iPhone looks like the tablet in 2001, allowing anyone to design something that looks like that. Even some of the functionality is in the movie.

Using that logic, Gene Roddenberry invented the flip phone.

They actually mention that in the article. If someone designed a phone that looked like a communicator, they couldn't patent the design, because it was in a literary work.

It's not the tablet concept Samsung is challenging, it's that the iPhone looks like the tablet in 2001, allowing anyone to design something that looks like that. Even some of the functionality is in the movie.

Roddenberry could have done the same thing with the iPhone/iPad. The PADD from NexGen looks a lot like it.

Totally agree with that. I normally pretty sceptical of successful people, so much of it comes down to luck, but he has left his mark on three totally separate industries, personal computing, film animation and music. It's staggering to think that one person has had such a massive influence on so many peoples lives.

* Footnote, the iPhone could be a third, but I view it as a mini computer, more than a phone, so it's almost the next evolution of the personal computer. But I wouldn't be upset if people wanted to say four industries.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to buy a new iPod and I ended up having to buy an iPod Touch. What a shitty way to force people to buy them by making the Nano not play videos anymore, and the Classic is more expensive than the Touch. There should be a 150.00 iPod that plays videos like there used to be. 250.00 for the cheapest one is horseshit.

He was a very significant presence in providing alternative technology to Microsoft, as well as turning potential technologies into viable everyday items. Probably not one of the most innovative geniuses in generations as you put it Garfield, but still a very significant figure who has had a lot of influence.

He was a very significant presence in providing alternative technology to Microsoft, as well as turning potential technologies into viable everyday items. Probably not one of the most innovative geniuses in generations as you put it Garfield, but still a very significant figure who has had a lot of influence.

I can understand why you might disagree, but I stand by my words. Just looking at the sheer number of podcasts from this site that go to itunes says a lot. Neither Itunes or pocasts would exist had he not pioneered it. He didn't invent the light bulb, but he did reinvent it in a very real way.

He didn't invent the computer, but he's directly responsible for me having one (three, really) in my house. He didn't invent the mouse, but he's why I don't have to type in long boot or run commands every time I want to open a program. He didn't invent the personal mp3 player, but he's the reason they became so overwhelmingly popular and led directly to people creating their own content for them. I've never been a major Apple guy, but the man clearly changed the shape of the world and I absolutely can't deny that.

He didn't invent the computer, but he's directly responsible for me having one (three, really) in my house. He didn't invent the mouse, but he's why I don't have to type in long boot or run commands every time I want to open a program. He didn't invent the personal mp3 player, but he's the reason they became so overwhelmingly popular and led directly to people creating their own content for them. I've never been a major Apple guy, but the man clearly changed the shape of the world and I absolutely can't deny that.

He absolutely did. I never used computers, and then I got a Mac.

Today, we're all Macs.

I can understand why you might disagree, but I stand by my words. Just looking at the sheer number of podcasts from this site that go to itunes says a lot. Neither Itunes or pocasts would exist had he not pioneered it. He didn't invent the light bulb, but he did reinvent it in a very real way.

Downloadable internet radio did exist before itunes. Don't get me wrong, it's my programme of choice for downloading but podcasts are a thriving community that doesn't need itunes to exist even if the term is derived from apple tech, indeed it wasn't until this year that some sites I visit made all their shows available through apple. Digital download purchasing? If he hasn't done it we'd be using the similar shops that Sony set up, or we'd just plain be using the Amazon MP3 service.

Apple did it best definitely, but others still did it, and I know a lot of people who listen to all the stuff I do without owning a single apple device or programme.