The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

Apple will introduce a new version of its iPod nano with a wider screen and built-in camera later this year after first introducing three new iPhone models distinguished by their network hardware, according to a new report.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05...nes_report.html

So instead of making them cheaper they add a function that almost every other piece of tech I carry around already has?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I a Luddite for not neccessarily wanting all my gizmos in one device? I can see why people would like a phone/music-player/internet browser/camera/video player, but the camera on my phone's a piece of crap and Poddy II's battery would be pretty damn drained if I used it for my emails/web browsing.

And whilst I think iTunes is poor as a music player, the podcast stream and iTunes Store more than justifies it being my player of choice.

Guest DCAUFan1051

While I like iTunes for having all my music in one place, as well as all my podcasts. I must admit when it comes to some music iTunes can't cut it. I went looking for AC/DC's Back In Black album a while ago when I was on an Iron Man kick.... and iTunes didn't have it. Grrrr..... I was required to actually buy the CD from walmart. Even thought there is the request form in the iTunes store I seriously doubt whomever does the major string pulliing doesn't even read the requests.

As far as the new iPod?.... grrrr I have the 4th Gen iPod Nano as I've stated before. I do not even use it on the the go. That's what my iPhone's for. I use the iPod for home listening when I'm not at the PC. While a price drop would be nice instead of a Camera... it'll never happen. Apple has set price points for each apple product. I seriously doubt that they'll make a $29.99 shuffle to put the nano at $49.99. I just read this about the new iPhone 3.0 Software. While I do have a home wifi connection for post people the linked article's topic would never work.

Figure this can go here, please tell me if I's wrong and this should go elsewhere.

So, the power cable/adapter for my MacBook has been acting really strange lately. I have to position the cable for the power cable in a very specific position in order for it to charge/retain a charge. And sometimes it'll still drain power, like this morning.

Anyone else ever had this problem?

I'm debating taking out the adapter and just plugging in the power cable and seeing if the problem's there. EDIT: Yeah, the problem seems to be with the cable, not the adapter.

Nevermind.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

WWDC Highlights:

New MacBook Family (they're all MacBook Pros Now)

iPhone 3GS (16GB $199 32GB $299):

The fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.

3.0 Megapixel Camera With Video

Improved performance

Voice Control

Digital compass

Cut, Copy & Paste

MMS23

Spotlight Search

Landscape keyboard

Voice Memos

iPhone 3G 8GB $99

New features. New price.

2-megapixel camera

Cut, Copy & Paste

MMS23

Spotlight Search

Landscape keyboard

Voice Memos

The iPhone 3.0 Update Available June 17th

You can now download audio books, movies, music videos and TV shows right to the iPhone.

MMS

Cut Copy and Paste

Landscape keyboard

Spotlight Search

Improved Calendar

Shake To Shuffle and so much more..... I can't wait for this

Guest DCAUFan1051

Even though I'm superstoked for the iPhone 3Gs I found out I won't be eligible for a discounted price until next year. Which is fine I like my 3G and even though I want the extra space and the video camera I can wait.

However I do want a macbook!

Even though I'm superstoked for the iPhone 3Gs I found out I won't be eligible for a discounted price until next year. Which is fine I like my 3G and even though I want the extra space and the video camera I can wait.

However I do want a macbook!

Don't worry. By the time you are eligible for the discount they will have a new version out. I feel bad for my friend who just got his iPhone a week before they announced the 3Gs.

Yeah, I got the 3G last September, but I'm not really all that disappointed. The extra space would be HEAVENLY, but besides that the only advantages are faster non-WiFi speed and video, which I'm not super-excited for.

It's funny; the new 13-inch MacBook Pro is almost exactly the same as my 13-inch MacBook that I got last Christmas. Heck, I got the upgraded version, so mine is actually more powerful than their standard-level model.

If anyone really wants a Mac computer for cheap, then I would really encourage getting them refurbished from the Apple Online Store here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

You can get laptops often like two hundred dollars cheaper. Refurbished is no different by the way. I am a Mac person and I buy all my own refurbished. Many of the Macs on sale refurbished are Macbook Pros and Mac Minis. Its sort of hard to find good and cheap regular aluminum Macbooks though. iMacs are pretty common on there. If you want to buy a Mac refurbished, check every morning for cheap ones, they all are bought fast, and the stock of refurbished Macs is always changing. The Apple Online Store is truly the only good place to get refurbished Macs. You can get refurbished iPods and iPhones there too.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Because I'm under 30 day return thru AT&T I can trade up to 3Gs 16GB but I must preorder 3Gs on or before this Tuesday. Once I do that Friday I can bring this 3G in and get a refund from the preordering.

The problem is I don't have the $220 to put down for the preorder grr. I soooo need to get my buy it now thing on eBay sold! Ahhhhh

Because I'm under 30 day return thru AT&T I can trade up to 3Gs 16GB but I must preorder 3Gs on or before this Tuesday. Once I do that Friday I can bring this 3G in and get a refund from the preordering.

The problem is I don't have the $220 to put down for the preorder grr. I soooo need to get my buy it now thing on eBay sold! Ahhhhh

What is your thing on eBay?

Guest DCAUFan1051

What is your thing on eBay?

Sent you a message about it graham....on another note:

I am so excited for the 3Gs because of the camera features... the autofocus and the touch to focus look supercool. That was my biggest issue with the original iPhone the camera couldn't take a decent picture for shit. The 3G is slightly better and clearer, but this new one looks awesome.

Guest DCAUFan1051
The iPhone 3GS in my opinion the best cell phone ever. Cut, Copy, and Paste is unoftenly found on a mobile device like a phone. iPhone 3GS is almost a computer, because of things like Cut, Copy, and Paste, video trimming, and internet.

agreed it's almost like a mini laptop only smaller.

On another note 3.0 has been installed on the 3G.... going to check it out then have a more detailed post later.

• 3 months later...

Everyone is telling me to get an iPhone (well my girlfriend and the IT guy who runs our network), but I'm anti Apple.... The only way I can do it is if I convince myself that they are no longer a phone, but a portable information centre, with the phone part of if a secondary or tertiary feature. Because as a phone, they suck.

If you look at them as something just to make calls and send sms, then there are HEAPS of other phones out there that are better at it and cheaper (cheaper more to the point). But if you take the approach that phones are no longer phones, but something new (PDA's, information hubs, whatever) then yeah, the iPhone is one of the best out there.

And why the hell can't a person use a 32gig iPhone as a USB pocket disk without hacking it. I can do it with a iPod, why not an iPhone!! Why!

And why the hell can't a person use a 32gig iPhone as a USB pocket disk without hacking it. I can do it with a iPod, why not an iPhone!! Why!

Because the iPod only alters its data space when it's being synced, but the iPhone has memory that's adjustable at any time, so it needs complete control over its own internal memory.

But isn't the point if it can be done by hacking, then the OS doesn't need full control? Why not give the user the option for it, split partition for the OS and storage? Give the user that flexibility in the memory they are buying....

Hacking it like that can introduce issues. If you allow for too much variation, then the normal, non-hacked OS system that they have wouldn't work correctly across all iPhones.

(And hey, if you really want to, you can still hack it yourself.)

oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hack it, I was just trying to say that if people are doing it, then the OS really doesn't need it all, so there should be an out of the box option to use it for storage. It's a 'con' of the device, that is all. But no big deal, everyone know's I'll suck it up and get one and become a mindless Apple zombie like the rest of the cool people, hehe.

Kind of out of nowhere here with this one, but I've got the iPod touch 1st generation. Everyone here probably knows that Apple came out with their new iphone software update a little while back. I figured screw that. I wasn't gonna pay for it cuz I didn't need any of the meager stuff they were offering. Anyway, all the sudden my itouch has been freezing up a lot. Tonight, I couldn't get to the home screen and I couldn't shut the damn thing off. The only thing that works is plugging it pack into my laptop and syncing it.

My question is, has anyone else been experiencing/experienced such problems?

Right now, I decided I'd reset it back to the factory settings through itunes. Gonna see if it fixes the problem. I just hope I don't have to buy the new update just to fix the problem.

Okay, off my soap box. :wacko: