The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

To me, it's how they've treated their developers that is what will hurt them long term. There was no consultation, it just happened, so companies that were making $1000's all of a sudden had that revenue source removed, without warning. You can't do that and not expect consequences.

What Apple should have done, if it was a "won't someone think of the children" thing, is developed an adults area in the AppStore that you need to register for.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 3 year old 80gb Ipod classic has a weak connection in the headphone jack that prevents the right hand audio working. After a consultation at my Apple store this morning I can either-

1) replace like for like with a same gen model for £90. Bit pricey for a 3 year old model in my book.

2) buy a new 120gb ipod classic for £193 minus the 10% trade in discount for dumping my old ipod.

3) buy a new 32/64gb ipod touch for £234/£306 minus the 10% trade in discount.

The 10% trade in makes the price difference between the Apple Store and amazon negligable.

I'd been considering an iphone since the touch is basically the same thing but I'm 6 months into a two year contract and I'm not looking to make that situation complicated. I'm not buying one outright either, the cheap 8gb ones are £350 right now, the 32gb one I'd like is £550. No chance in hell.

I was planning to replace it this summer as a birthday thing, I'm thinking right now I can live with my damaged classic for a while and then get early money from relatives to pay for a 64gb touch. I'd like to upgrade beyond the classic, as great as it is the video function is useless on a screen that small, plus I'd like some localised internet browsing, wireless network stuff.

Anyone have a touch that they use for local browsing? I'd be interested to hear how the experiance is.

Another alternative is that I get the jack repaired elsewhere, the quoted cost of which was around £40. Unsure about that, its fairly old now and I'd rather build towards replacing it than invest in it long term only for it to completely fail 6 months from now when I've no christmas/birthday currency headed my way.

Finally got around to Jailbreaking my phone. It's only 6 months old, so still under warranty, but the upside was worth doing. Here are my thoughts after about 2 weeks of use with it set free.

1. Lock Screen Info

IMG_0220.png

This app costs about $5.99 on the Jailbreak appstore called Cydia, but is well worth it. As you can see it lists calendar, weather, missed calls/sms/emails (actually showing the start of the messages). The background also changes with the time of day, which is cool, if not a little pointless, hehe.

2. Themes

IMG_0221.png

This is my home screen of the phone. Sure, it's not really fancy, but I like the duo-tone style feel of it. I'm still playing around and it is a pain in the butt making the new icons for the downloaded apps, but the good things in life should be a bit tough.

3. Unlocked Usage Restrictions

I've added an app that allows me to download any size file from iTunes or Appstore. If I'm paying my provider for 750mb a month of usage, I'm going to use it how I damn well feel like, none of this 10mb limit stuff. And a lot of my podcasts I like to listen to aren't that much bigger than 10mb anyway

4. Custom Sounds

Making full songs a ringtone, changing from the default 8 sms and email alert tones is fantastic. Too many people in the office have iPhones so it's good to be able to know which alert is mine

5. USB HDD

Being able to use that spare space on my 32gig for disk storage is a fantastic feature. I can either use a USB cable or even connect to it through SSH on my wifi network, which is pretty cool.

I'm still tweaking things as I go, but so far pretty happy that I have done it, as it allows me to make it more mine. And personally, most of the things I've listed should be standard on the thing anyway.

Finally got around to Jailbreaking my phone. It's only 6 months old, so still under warranty, but the upside was worth doing. Here are my thoughts after about 2 weeks of use with it set free.

1. Lock Screen Info

IMG_0220.png

This app costs about $5.99 on the Jailbreak appstore called Cydia, but is well worth it. As you can see it lists calendar, weather, missed calls/sms/emails (actually showing the start of the messages). The background also changes with the time of day, which is cool, if not a little pointless, hehe.

2. Themes

IMG_0221.png

This is my home screen of the phone. Sure, it's not really fancy, but I like the duo-tone style feel of it. I'm still playing around and it is a pain in the butt making the new icons for the downloaded apps, but the good things in life should be a bit tough.

3. Unlocked Usage Restrictions

I've added an app that allows me to download any size file from iTunes or Appstore. If I'm paying my provider for 750mb a month of usage, I'm going to use it how I damn well feel like, none of this 10mb limit stuff. And a lot of my podcasts I like to listen to aren't that much bigger than 10mb anyway

4. Custom Sounds

Making full songs a ringtone, changing from the default 8 sms and email alert tones is fantastic. Too many people in the office have iPhones so it's good to be able to know which alert is mine

5. USB HDD

Being able to use that spare space on my 32gig for disk storage is a fantastic feature. I can either use a USB cable or even connect to it through SSH on my wifi network, which is pretty cool.

I'm still tweaking things as I go, but so far pretty happy that I have done it, as it allows me to make it more mine. And personally, most of the things I've listed should be standard on the thing anyway.

Are you going to tether your phone? Assuming you have a laptop.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I miss my iPhone... I'm gonna wat until a new one is announced though to get it again. Hopefully whenever they announce a new version of hardware they'll have a more MP camera.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I miss my iPhone... I'm gonna wat until a new one is announced though to get it again. Hopefully whenever they announce a new version of hardware they'll have a more MP camera.

This is news to me, what happened to your old iPhone?

long story... short version is couldn't afford the service anymore.

This is news to me, what happened to your old iPhone?

long story... short version is couldn't afford the service anymore.

Aw, that sucks. Have you gotten a touch to replace the void?

Okay, so I went by the Apple Store twice this week.

Each time, I spent about an hour playing around with the iPad.

It's amazing; it really doesn't make sense until you get your hands on it and see how it feels and works. Even though it's basically a giant iPod Touch, somehow it just works a thousand times better. The system works twice as fluidly as the iPhone/iPod Touch, to such a degree that it's almost jaw-dropping.

I never realized just how much the iPhone's tiny screen size really hindered the overall experience before, but the iPad's big screen is just amazing. It's like the difference between a PS1 and a PS2. Playing Plants vs Zombies on the iPad is glorious. Oh, and the piano app is pretty awesome as well. While I was in the store, I managed to teach myself to play the John Williams Superman theme (from memory) on the on-screen keyboard. (I got a few smiles from the people next to me)

Pretty much every single one of the main Apple apps are so greatly enhanced (being completely redesigned for the Pad) that they completely blow away any argument that it's "the same as an iPod Touch." That's like saying that watching a movie on an iPod Nano is the same as watching it on a full-size TV. It's so much better (and more practical) that it's just amazing.

So, yeah. I was a complete unbeliever until two days ago. Now, judging by the three paragraphs I just wrote, I think I'm Apple's new iPad spokesperson.

So, yeah. I was a complete unbeliever until two days ago. Now, judging by the three paragraphs I just wrote, I think I'm Apple's new iPad spokesperson.

Does this mean your going to pick one up soon?

I wish. I'm basically broke at the moment.

Cant you sell your sole or something? XD If you say that holding it changed your point of view, I will defiantly try to get to an apple store soon to take alook. Also, I know you have a Macbook, but what kind?

My Macbook is the 2008 2nd-tier aluminium version. The equivalent current product is the 13-inch Macbook Pro. I love it. :)

I'd never trade it for an iPad, though. The iPad is like a hybrid of a laptop and an iPod touch, but it's not good enough to actually replace an actual computer.

Oh, and dc20: I dunno, I have pretty expensive shoes. ;)

My Macbook is the 2008 2nd-tier aluminium version. The equivalent current product is the 13-inch Macbook Pro. I love it. :)

I'd never trade it for an iPad, though. The iPad is like a hybrid of a laptop and an iPod touch, but it's not good enough to actually replace an actual computer.

Oh, and dc20: I dunno, I have pretty expensive shoes. ;)

I wasn't trying to imply that you would, I was just curious as to which model you had. I'm planning on making the jump to mac very soon with the current 13" Macbook Pro (2.6 GHz, 250 HDD, 4gb Ram - Why get the base model when I know I'll need the space and ram eventually?) very soon. It's just a matter of timing. At my current rate of income, I'll have it by mid July. But I have an summer internship coming up and another lawn also, so that date might be bumped closer :).

@Will HAH! Got to pay closer attention to my post's from now on ;)

I read the release about the 4.0 OS for the iPhones and all the improvements are already available with a Jailbreak. Don't get me wrong, it's good that Apple are listening to what people want, but I think they are slowly (very very slowly) losing their image as a ground breaking company. Unless the iPad helps saves newspapers and magazines, in which case, I'll eat my words.

Steve Jobs in cahoots with Rupert Murdoch.... the sky is falling..... :)