Recording software

I've been spoiled from my student radio days with Adobe Audition. I had it installed onto my laptop and used that up until this summer when Lappy finally kicked the bucket. I downloaded Audacity, but I just don't enjoy using it. So I'm using the Audition trial at the moment and when I get paid, I'm going to shell out £250 for my own version. It's a lot but if it means I need never use anything else ever again, I'll be happy.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I'm a huge fan of Audacity. It's free and very easy to use.

Thanks to our Earth-2 overlord I am using audacity I've only been using it for a little bit and only been ripping audio from DVD's need to get a headset to test out the voice recording

THANKS AGAIN MIKE

• 2 months later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

OK I'm pissed!!! I re downloaded Audacity and it still won't let me record a stereo mix the option doesn't even appear anywhere in the application. I recently got a headset and the voice recording is great I've downloadded the 1.2 version maybe I should try the beta 1.3 I dunno

All I know is before I hooked up the Bose PC speakers I got to my computer it was working fine and now I can't rip any audio from DVD's it's pissing me off.

I've talked to Mike and Des about this but they're unsure of the problem as I am

CAN ANYONE HELP?!!!!!!

OK I'm pissed!!! I re downloaded Audacity and it still won't let me record a stereo mix the option doesn't even appear anywhere in the application. I recently got a headset and the voice recording is great I've downloadded the 1.2 version maybe I should try the beta 1.3 I dunno

All I know is before I hooked up the Bose PC speakers I got to my computer it was working fine and now I can't rip any audio from DVD's it's pissing me off.

I've talked to Mike and Des about this but they're unsure of the problem as I am

CAN ANYONE HELP?!!!!!!

Well, what I would do is play the footage through the speakers and record with your headset.

I mean that's what i'd do.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Mike, are you using a Mac? If so, there is no Stereo Mix option.

No I'm running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 when you first sent me the emails about tips/instructions and everything else mike I got it going just fine. Then I bought Bose USB speakers and all of a sudden when I selected the stereo mix option and hit record no sound would record even though I had the dvd playing in the player on the PC. I have contacted the Audacity Team to see what they say. This kinda pisses me off if I have to unhook my Bose speakers and go back to my old ones I'll be soooo fucking mad. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! this fucking sucks

and suave thanks for the suggestion about recording thru the headset that aint gonna work cause I have to hold the mic up to the speaker and the audio sucks! :D:cry:

EDIT:

I got an answer from Audacity here it is:

I have no experience of USB speakers, but I suspect they are the reason.It depends how they work and if they are bypassing the sound card.I see people are asking the same question on the internet with no useful answers provided. I would plug normal speakers or headphones into the green line-out port of the computer while the USB speakers are connected. Can you hear anything in your headphones/normal speakers? If not, you won'tbe able to record from the stereo mix input of your sound card. If the USB speakers appear in the Windows system mixer as a recording device:

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?tit...bar_Issues#xpcp then you can record from them, but I doubt they will so appear.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try a virtual driver recorder that also grabsthe sound before it gets to the soundcard, like Freecorder:http://www.applian.com/sound-recorder/

You can also contact Bose support here: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertain...pport/index.jsp

I'm going to call Bose first but I'm betting that I have to disconnect my Bose speakers and hookup my old Creative ones GODDAMNIT this sucks I'm paying for speakers that apparently now I can't even use!!!!!!!! :fight: :grumble: :cry:

I hate fucking sundays Bose Tech support is closed FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!!!! OH WELL i'LL HOOKUP THE OLD SPEAKERS sonofabitch!!!!!!!!!! :sick:

• 2 months later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I figured this question would be best asked here as it relates to the topic:

How do dual cohosts record at one persons house? Do y'all have separate computers and talk through skype? Or do you talk through 1 microphone? Just Curious.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Your PC should have two mic sockets.

One at the front, one at the back, well mine does.

Or you have a table mic and both speak into it.

thanks suave but I use a USB headset and pretty much all my USB ports in the back are taken up and my USB ports in the front don't work... again an issue to talk with the shop guys when I take this POS Computer in.

Guest DCAUFan1051
For Mac users (I know there's one of you on here at the least): Which program is best for recording voice?

I'm not a MAC user but I've heard GarageBand is good, but other then that I have no clue.

Garageband is super easy to use and already compatible with iTunes but I have found that if you already don't have high audio levels it's impossible to get a good mix. My current mic cuts out background noise and only picks up a little bit. When I transfer the songs to Garageband they cannot be upped level-wise. Shame.

I, just in the past few weeks, have found Sound Studio 3 to be awesome. It's similar in layout to Audacity but about a million times bettr. Plus it's made for the Mac so, while Audacity is great, it won't be buggy for you.

The program is like $80 but if you're really interested and you can go "Arrr...", PM me and I can send you a linky-poo.

Guest DCAUFan1051
but if you're really interested and you can go "Arrr...", PM me and I can send you a linky-poo.

Pirate Doomsday Des hmmm... :D that's funny.

I want to switch to mac so badly but there is the $ issue. Damnit!

Garageband is super easy to use and already compatible with iTunes but I have found that if you already don't have high audio levels it's impossible to get a good mix. My current mic cuts out background noise and only picks up a little bit. When I transfer the songs to Garageband they cannot be upped level-wise. Shame.

I, just in the past few weeks, have found Sound Studio 3 to be awesome. It's similar in layout to Audacity but about a million times bettr. Plus it's made for the Mac so, while Audacity is great, it won't be buggy for you.

The program is like $80 but if you're really interested and you can go "Arrr...", PM me and I can send you a linky-poo.

Hehe.

Question, though, and it's probably going to make me sound like an idiot. Macs come with a built-in mike, right?

All I'm really looking to do is record the occasional reading on my end, nothing too fancy.

Hehe.

Question, though, and it's probably going to make me sound like an idiot. Macs come with a built-in mike, right?

All I'm really looking to do is record the occasional reading on my end, nothing too fancy.

Yah, Its next to the iSight camera, But I dont know the quality.