Recording software

• 11 months later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

Anyone have a clue as to how to play audio files live on Skype? I want to record a conversation and have audio files the other person can hear.

pamela call recorder has a mp3 sound player that is like live drop ins as the recording is going.

Anyone have a clue as to how to play audio files live on Skype? I want to record a conversation and have audio files the other person can hear.

pamela call recorder has a mp3 sound player that is like live drop ins as the recording is going.

Really? I didn't know that.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Really? I didn't know that.

unless you have a different version then I have Mike. here is a screenshot of my version:

PCR.jpg

I got the free version from skype's extras menu, then bought a license from pamela's website so I could have unlimited call recording capability. I use a Windows machine, not sure if it works on macs.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I'll have to play with it when I get home this afternoon. I knew it could play MP3s, but I was unaware that it did it live so both parties could hear the file.

Your interface looks different than mine, too. I might have to update my software.

I'm not sure how well it works with desktop mics... right now I have no headphones and the secondary persons audio comes out of my speakers. However when I had a USB headset it worked perfectly.

As far as the interface mike, there are several different versions of Pamela Call Recorder... I believe this is the version I have: PCR

• 4 months later...
Guest TFG1Mike

Yeah so I'm about to completely denounce audacity as far as using it with windows 7. There is no option in either version to select my analog speakers. It is only listing my microphone in the recording drop down menu in the audio I/O tab. I tried contacting them, however I get the usual oh we are too small to offer even 1 sentence of technical support. However you can read all these documents that don't solve your problem.

So I have had to join their forum and explain the situation there. Does anyone have any other suggestions for Free audio recording software that is specifically for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version?

• 1 year later...

I'm digging this thread out of the basement because I need a little general PC help here.

In prep for WFTT I got my podcasting stuff fully set up, got my mic, my mic stand (I don't have a desk so it's sorta a must), my popguard, my chunky high quality headphones, got my software installed, got my Skype account, a good internet connection, the whole deal.

So why the fudge won't my PC pick up audio from my microphone? Seriously, it worked fine with this PC 5 months ago when I bought it. It works fine on my dictaphone. It works fine on my housemate's PC. I've done all the normal troubleshooting stuff- it's not muted, it's not just quiet since the boost thingie makes no difference. The audio actually comes through the PC into my earphones when I speak, I tap the mic and it comes through fine. It just completely fails to pick up audio for recording or through Skype. At the end of my rope here. Suggestions?

Getting Audacity to record Skype calls isn't easy. That's why I use Pamela (on PCs) and Audio Hijack Pro (for Macs).

To get it to record yourself, though, go to File > Preferences > Audio I/O. Leave Playback alone, but under Recording, change that to your mic. (To record sounds from CDs, DVDs, YouTube, etc., change it to Stereo Mix.)

It's not a problem with Audacity specifically, Sound Recorder and Goldwave also fail to work, and Goldwave was the program I tested the thing on when I got it months back. I think something's changed with my sound card. I mean, at least Sound Recorder of all things should work right?

Not sure that'll help since I can't even use Skype. Like I said, the PC picks up and transmits the sound through speakers but Skype, Sound Recorder Goldwave, Audacity and any other program complete fails to catch a signal regardless of how I fiddle with the settings.

I'm reinstalling drivers right now, maybe that'll help.

No, because even broken as it is it's the most expensive piece of equipment in the room. I've hit most everything else though!

Blah, I've been at this on and off for a week now, think I'll just take it back to the git who built it and get him to fix it. Thankfully it's my brother, so I can probably bully him into sorting it for me.