The King and I: Kirby's Krazy Karacter Korner

RSS

While most, including myself, will view Kirby's legacy as one of dynamic movement and grandiose majesty, there is absolutely no denying the sheer magnitude of iconic characters he created at various comic publishers. Kirby's hallmark, as fully realized in his DC work, is wild and colorful character design. No one creates a character that looks like Kirby's unless they are blatantly ripping him off (RE: Larsen, Erik). In this edition of The King and I, I have compiled a list of the top 10 wildest, craziest and most colorful of Kirby's creations. And, surprisingly, it doesn't include a giant dog with a tuning fork on his forehead!

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/columns/reddick/the-king-and-i-06

Thanks. I picked what i thought was a good top ten and then assigned them pictures and placement later. I just realized that Galactus' is the only image not drawn by Kirby...

The layout is beautiful, Mike. Thanks.

The Kang image isn't by Kirby, either. I had trouble finding good, properly colored images of Kang and Galactus by Kirby, so I went with the ones you see.

Thanks. I picked what i thought was a good top ten and then assigned them pictures and placement later. I just realized that Galactus' is the only image not drawn by Kirby...

The layout is beautiful, Mike. Thanks.

The Kang image isn't by Kirby, either. I had trouble finding good, properly colored images of Kang and Galactus by Kirby, so I went with the ones you see.

Oop! Didn't even notice that one. What I meant was, I sent you the Galactus one by Byrne, didn't I? It was hard finding Kirby figure pieces. It would have been fine if I had a scanner but alas...

I think I sent you a shitty Kang one didn't I?

Great work, Des. I also liked the Editor's Note at the end there. :angel:

Thanks James.

The Kang image you sent me was the cover of Avengers #8. In it, Kang has his back to us.

As for Galactus, I tried to find a good Kirby image from Fantastic Four #48-50, but all of them had wonky coloring (he was green and pink in his first appearance) or he was off model (sometimes he was in shorts). So I went with the Byrne image you sent.

I suppose if you consider his modus operandi, he is basically a deli worker — that is, if planets could be considered cold cuts and he ate all of the meat himself.

:laugh:

Nice work, Desrick.

Thanks Dubs. I just wrote that without thinking. When I went back to revise the whole thing I read it and didn't remember writing it. I thought it was stupid, and ridiculous. But totally unremoveable.