The Graysons

JackFetch

When I first saw this i got really exited then it clicked in my head. The Graysons. More than one, and thus it suddenly became an 'Oh shit.' moment. I can't begin to express how bad an idea this is. Smallville at least had some conflict but what (watchable) conflict is there in the life of the Circus family?! Death by Elephant? Evil sideshow freaks? Poison corn dogs? I've talked about this with a friend of mine and he expressed the same disinterest and disdain saying 'it'll just be a teen drama... so why don't they just make a teen drama and give it another name'! I pretty much agree with that because you know it is much more than likely that they will make him a person in his mid teens played by someone in there early twenties or so. As a big fan of Dick (yes yes tee hee) not DJ (I mean REALLY?) I dread this happening. <_< I don't want Dick to be the star of 'Everwood under the Big Top' or 'Acrobatic 90210'! In reality I'd adore a Nightwing series but The CW needs to pick a francise and stick with it and make it something wonderful. We've gone through Birds of Prey (on WB), and Aquaman plus the rampant rumors of a Supergirl and/or Green Arrow Smallvile spin-off, JUST PICK ONE SHOW AND BLOODY STICK WITH IT!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to www.kryptonsite.com for this news...

A Message From Souders & Peterson Regarding "The Graysons"

Smallville's executive producers Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders have written in with a message to the fans at KryptonSite, clearing up some reports that had been made implying that Smallville may be on its way out...

Dear Smallville fans,

As news and rumors swirl around the development of The Graysons for the CW, we have every intention of letting you, our fans, be the first to know the reality. Never have we been so committed to the continuing success of Smallville as we are to seasons 8 and 9. While we are extremely excited to be working hand-in-hand with Wonderland, Warner Bros. and the CW to create the origin story of Dick Grayson, it has never been intended as a replacement for Smallville, as is speculated in some media. The cast, crew, writers and producers are all working full-steam ahead on a story-line for Clark that allows for seasons of further trials and adventures for our favorite hero. As always, we all have you to thank for achieving eight years of this amazing show that Al and Miles created, and we're looking far beyond!

Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders

It appears we may get a Season 9 now(or maybe its a cover for a Metropolis spin-off). All I know is if these episodes of Smallville keep lacking we won't get a S9.

If Welling sticks around after this season his acting career ends the moment Smallville stops filming. Even fans of the show should be able to admit it's overstayed it's welcome and should have ended already.

Well I'm a fan of Smallville and I'm ok with it lasting as long as it has, what has become tedious is Clark's constant mistakes. In the end of each season he says how he should have listened to Jor-El and none of the trouble going on would have happened if he did, than he would do it all over again.

I would rather see his journey from leaving as Robin and establishing himself as Nightwing, or him going back to Gotham after Batman leaves, due to the death of Jason Todd. If the show does center around him as an 8 year old or even if they upted him to being 12 it wouldn't be a dark show than. I don't see a parent letting their young son play in a dark TV Series(not as a regular). What we need is a Batman TV Series that is adapted from the early comics as well as the 80's to modern day take.

I love that idea. That point in his life is muddy and lasted a year (?) if I'm not mistaken. He was a PI between Robin and NIghtwing. THAT would be awesome.

I love that idea. That point in his life is muddy and lasted a year (?) if I'm not mistaken. He was a PI between Robin and NIghtwing. THAT would be awesome.

Yeah, it would be great, Jason Todd is a Robin that hasn't been established at all in the live action or animated world. If they were to do a show about Dick Graysons transition from Robin to Nightwing and than in the 2nd or 3rd Season we discover Jason Todd being killed and Batman leaving so Nightwing returns to Gotham to keep an eye on things while Batman is gone(with The Oracle still there too). This may also peak the interest of non-comic book readers as to who Jason Todd's Robin is and maybe we'll one day get a live action version of his character.

Yeah, it would be great, Jason Todd is a Robin that hasn't been established at all in the live action or animated world. If they were to do a show about Dick Graysons transition from Robin to Nightwing and than in the 2nd or 3rd Season we discover Jason Todd being killed and Batman leaving so Nightwing returns to Gotham to keep an eye on things while Batman is gone(with The Oracle still there too). This may also peak the interest of non-comic book readers as to who Jason Todd's Robin is and maybe we'll one day get a live action version of his character.

So you want the Nightwing version of Birds of Prey?

So you want the Nightwing version of Birds of Prey?

No, it wouldn't be a Nightwing version of BoP(although, I did love the show). Basically the series would start with him narrating(over images of him in the Robin costume)about how he has left Gotham due to a rift with Batman(a live action version of the scene from the DCAU episode Old Wounds appears)and than at the end of the narrating we see a figure on top of a gargoyle and its Nightwing in a new town. The series would continue as he begins to learn how it is to work solo, new villains appearing. If the series does well they can work in the storyline in which Barbara is paralyzed by The Joker, Jason Todd is killed in an explosion set by The Joker, causing Batman to leave Gotham. Hearing all the commotion going on in Gotham with no one protecting the city Nightwing decides to return. He does run into Barbara, not yet The Oracle but recuperating and stays at Wayne Manor(with Alfred still there).

We would get appearances by other DC Heroes like Green Arrow(no superpower heroes yet), possibly played by Justin Hartley, establishing that this takes place years after Smallville. Of course we would need to have a few of Batman's Rogue Galleries(since he is in Gotham)with appearances by James Gordan having to deal with Batman's disappearance. By the end of the series(if successful)we can have Batman(in a middle aged form, like in Dark Knight Returns)fighting by his side for the final fight and have them shake hands(like in the end of the opening of the Batman title sequence from 1966 as a nod).

Ok, let me see if I've got this straight.

Starting off-I liked Birds of Prey and am really glad I have the set.

Basically the series would start with him narrating(over images of him in the Robin costume)about how he has left Gotham due to a rift with Batman(a live action version of the scene from the DCAU episode Old Wounds appears)and than at the end of the narrating we see a figure on top of a gargoyle and its Nightwing in a new town.

That's pretty much the birds of prey opening. But OK.

The series would continue as he begins to learn how it is to work solo, new villains appearing.

Ok, so it takes place after Nolan's batman movies or in a new Universe? Cause this sounds like more of Birds Of Prey.

If the series does well

Now I'm going to stop you right there. Birds of Prey got lost in the shuffle because of one fact in my opinion, if you don't read comics, you don't care about the characters.

People will watch Batman cause they know who he is, when you say to average Joe "hey watch this show called Birds of Prey" and he asks what it's about and you tell them and they ask "Is Batman in it?" You say no, and they say I'll leave it then.

Smallville succeeded originally as it was a show set in Superman's world, and who's technically in it? Superman, well as Clark Kent, but everyone knows that's Superman. Everyone knows the story of Superman.

The show will not do well for this reason, replace Birds of prey with Nightwing and you've got what would happen.

"Hey Joe, you going to watch Nightwing?" "What's that?" "A show about a guy called Nightwing." "Who's that?" "Batman's old sidekick" "Wasn't his sidekick Robin?" "Yeah but now he's grew up." "Pass."

If the series does well they can work in the storyline in which Barbara is paralyzed by The Joker, Jason Todd is killed in an explosion set by The Joker, causing Batman to leave Gotham. Hearing all the commotion going on in Gotham with no one protecting the city Nightwing decides to return. He does run into Barbara, not yet The Oracle but recuperating and stays at Wayne Manor(with Alfred still there).

Again people who don't read comics won't give a shit about Jason Todd, and while reply with "Why's Robin dead if he's fighting crime over there?..."

I do like the idea of his return, though if he's defending a new city, won't this new city now be fucked?

We would get appearances by other DC Heroes like Green Arrow(no superpower heroes yet), possibly played by Justin Hartley, establishing that this takes place years after Smallville. Of course we would need to have a few of Batman's Rogue Galleries(since he is in Gotham)with appearances by James Gordan having to deal with Batman's disappearance.

The rogues will probably be off limits like for JLU because WB are retarded and think everyone else is too.

Gordon WILL be off limits if Nolan does a third Batman movie as Gordon is now firmly established there, and they might worry "We can't have a whiney old man as Gordon over their, people will mix him up with Gary Oldman"

By the end of the series(if successful)we can have Batman(in a middle aged form, like in Dark Knight Returns)

Am I the only person who hated The dark Knight returns and thought the art was shit?

Again, if Nolan makes a third movie, they will not let them show a broken down old Batman, even though their planning on giving that prick from reaper the batman role in the JL movie, which I hope burns in hell, like reaper.

fighting by his side for the final fight and have them shake hands(like in the end of the opening of the Batman title sequence from 1966 as a nod).

You know how many people would want to kill them if they did that, as they think that that show "Ruined" Batman forever, even though it's been proven that that show saved batman from being discontinued.

Well, I do like my random rants about bugger all don't I?

Hopefully it doesn't look like I'm ripping what you said apart like a prick, I'm just saying the first thing I thought of when I read that.

And I am a prick :blush:

By the end of the series(if successful)we can have Batman(in a middle aged form, like in Dark Knight Returns)

Am I the only person who hated The dark Knight returns and thought the art was shit?

I don't hate DKR, but it's easily the most overrated story in comics history.

Ok, let me see if I've got this straight.

Starting off-I liked Birds of Prey and am really glad I have the set.

Basically the series would start with him narrating(over images of him in the Robin costume)about how he has left Gotham due to a rift with Batman(a live action version of the scene from the DCAU episode Old Wounds appears)and than at the end of the narrating we see a figure on top of a gargoyle and its Nightwing in a new town.

That's pretty much the birds of prey opening. But OK.

The series would continue as he begins to learn how it is to work solo, new villains appearing.

Ok, so it takes place after Nolan's batman movies or in a new Universe? Cause this sounds like more of Birds Of Prey.

If the series does well

Now I'm going to stop you right there. Birds of Prey got lost in the shuffle because of one fact in my opinion, if you don't read comics, you don't care about the characters.

People will watch Batman cause they know who he is, when you say to average Joe "hey watch this show called Birds of Prey" and he asks what it's about and you tell them and they ask "Is Batman in it?" You say no, and they say I'll leave it then.

Smallville succeeded originally as it was a show set in Superman's world, and who's technically in it? Superman, well as Clark Kent, but everyone knows that's Superman. Everyone knows the story of Superman.

The show will not do well for this reason, replace Birds of prey with Nightwing and you've got what would happen.

"Hey Joe, you going to watch Nightwing?" "What's that?" "A show about a guy called Nightwing." "Who's that?" "Batman's old sidekick" "Wasn't his sidekick Robin?" "Yeah but now he's grew up." "Pass."

If the series does well they can work in the storyline in which Barbara is paralyzed by The Joker, Jason Todd is killed in an explosion set by The Joker, causing Batman to leave Gotham. Hearing all the commotion going on in Gotham with no one protecting the city Nightwing decides to return. He does run into Barbara, not yet The Oracle but recuperating and stays at Wayne Manor(with Alfred still there).

Again people who don't read comics won't give a shit about Jason Todd, and while reply with "Why's Robin dead if he's fighting crime over there?..."

I do like the idea of his return, though if he's defending a new city, won't this new city now be fucked?

We would get appearances by other DC Heroes like Green Arrow(no superpower heroes yet), possibly played by Justin Hartley, establishing that this takes place years after Smallville. Of course we would need to have a few of Batman's Rogue Galleries(since he is in Gotham)with appearances by James Gordan having to deal with Batman's disappearance.

The rogues will probably be off limits like for JLU because WB are retarded and think everyone else is too.

Gordon WILL be off limits if Nolan does a third Batman movie as Gordon is now firmly established there, and they might worry "We can't have a whiney old man as Gordon over their, people will mix him up with Gary Oldman"

Again, if Nolan makes a third movie, they will not let them show a broken down old Batman, even though their planning on giving that prick from reaper the batman role in the JL movie, which I hope burns in hell, like reaper.

fighting by his side for the final fight and have them shake hands(like in the end of the opening of the Batman title sequence from 1966 as a nod).

You know how many people would want to kill them if they did that, as they think that that show "Ruined" Batman forever, even though it's been proven that that show saved batman from being discontinued.

Well, I do like my random rants about bugger all don't I?

Hopefully it doesn't look like I'm ripping what you said apart like a prick, I'm just saying the first thing I thought of when I read that.

And I am a prick :blush:

You have to remember, I'm just getting into comics(mainly because of WFP), so I only know a handful of info. I hated the artwork for The Dark Knight Returns as well, but it was a good comic(I do agree its overrated).

I know a lot of elements are very much like BoP, but what happened with BoP was that it was promoted as a Batman series, having TV Spots with Batman all over the place and saying Batman's little girl is all grown up and than having the narrating on every episode feature Batman was such a bad idea.

I loved the 60's Batman TV Series, as much as I love the dark version of the characters that is what got me into Batman, so if a small nod at the end of a series that is an apparently successful won't be too bad.

It won't be in the same universe as Nolan's series, just like the JLA movie, it will be seperate. I am actually interested in finding out about Jason Todd, I know he later turns out to be alive and be a villain of sorts. I don't have the money right now to buy an collected stories featuring the character. All I know about the character is that he was very arrogant and ignorant and that was a big problem with many readers, so he was voted to die.

You are not sounding like a prick, you have an opinion and that is fine.

Right, to pull back the curtain a bit......

Is everyone sitting down?

I've only been reading comics and following them monthly for just over a year and a bit.

I told you you all had to sit down :ph34r:

I don't know much about Jason Todd, I've read a comic from the 80's featuring batman admitting Jason's death was his greatest fear.

I own a death in the family, and it is OK, but because i was one or two at the time and more concerned where my next slice of cake came from, I just didn't get the impact of that.

I also have Under th hood volumes one and two and they are really good, though it has to be said, the ending is disappointing.

Though the Joker has a cracker of a line near the end.

Sigh, if they wanted to do Smallville with Batman why not just dust off the original proposal?:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/brucewayne/outline.htm

I really wish that Aquaman pilot had gone to series. Stupid CW merger. :(

The WB is real anal when it comes to their Batman franchise. They are allowing a Grayson series because Dick Grayson will not be in the Nolan Batman series or in the JLA movie. They don't want Batman in any form other than Christian Bale for now. I don't even think we'll see the JLA movie until the 3rd Nolan film is out, despite the fact they are looking for a JLA Batman.

That is why they decided against a Bruce Wayne series as well as Bruce Wayne coming into Smallville. It sucks that they don't have faith in the fans to be able to deal with two different versions of the same character, but they don't. I'm surprised they didn't cancel Smallville when they decided to make Superman Returns. They canceled Superboy, just so they can make Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman without a competing series(even though it was the same studio).

• 5 weeks later...
Some believe 2006's "Superman Returns" was hurt at the box office because of the simultaneous TV show.

Who? Who believes this? Who thinks that ANYBODY confuses fucking Smallville with genuine big screen Superman? Why would that show drain the enthusiasm for something that is basically entirely seperate?

Lets get that Green Arrow tv show going.