Everything DC

JackFetch

On 12/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, The Master said:

Sadly, it looks like Earth-66 was obliterated. But maybe he'll come back should they merge the Earth's at the conclusion.

I have a “grasping at straws” theory about Earth-167’s fate though.  

-Notice how all the Earths seen with red skies were Batman properties (though that could be a nod to the Batman books that tied into CoIE ending with the ominous red skies as the only thing tying them to the crossover), we didn’t see it for Smallville.

-Clark did show genuine concern, just because Lois thinking he was making a funny diffused it for that brief moment doesn’t mean they didn’t discuss it seriously inside the house.

-While it was said Welling was up in Vancouver for just the day, there is that Berlanti comment about three Supermen on screen together.

-Probably holding on to too much hope, but considering how Silver Age-y Smallville could get, whose to say Clark took off the Blue Kryptonite watch, put Earth-167 into a pocket dimension and will appear at The Vanishing Point?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The narrative that's is anything resembling a flop or box office bomb is exaggerating things, but what has not yet been disputed is its need to make $250-300 million to break even, which it still hasn't reached. It cost close to what Shazam cost to make, which was $80-$100 million including marketing and promotion.

I think the most gracious statement to make is that it's slow at the box office, even with over two weeks out from its NA release. I think by the end of next month, with the best will in the world it'll land somewhere between Shazam and Justice League, which is $300 million and $600 million. But if it doesn't do beyond the $250-$300 million needed to return its basic budget, there's not gonna be justification enough for a sequel.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:23 PM, Donomark said:

The narrative that's is anything resembling a flop or box office bomb is exaggerating things, but what has not yet been disputed is its need to make $250-300 million to break even, which it still hasn't reached. It cost close to what Shazam cost to make, which was $80-$100 million including marketing and promotion.

I hope it does, but it had a couple big structural disadvantages: It was in February, which is normally not a good time for big blockbusters. (Obviously there are exceptions.) The R rating hurt it by taking away a large portion of the natural audience.

And it should have been a Harley Quinn solo movie. There was no need to make it a BOP movie.

The one thing I didn't even think about when I saw it, but was mentioned in @Donomark's podcast, was Dinah Lance's superhero name. A black woman called Black Canary. SMH. Didn't we leave that naming convention behind in the 1970's? Even Jefferson Pierce could use a new superhero name.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, Koete said:

Every clip I've seen of Harley Quinn has been amazing. 

Hide contents

This entire scene is perfection. There's been a lot of try-hard Joker portrayals in recent years, but this is the best one since Jeff Bennett's portrayal in Brave and the Bold. 

And I LOOOVE the anecdote of Joker and Harley doing a Nyotaimori on Gordon. I genuinely want that to be canon.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:34 PM, Donomark said:

This entire scene is perfection. There's been a lot of try-hard Joker portrayals in recent years, but this is the best one since Jeff Bennett's portrayal in Brave and the Bold. 

And I LOOOVE the anecdote of Joker and Harley doing a Nyotaimori on Gordon. I genuinely want that to be canon.

I have not stopped thinking about the delivery of "where's mah goddamn electric car" since I heard it. 

Whoever came up with this show's take on Gordon is a genius. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I can't blame her since she almost got paralyzed earlier this season.

They're planning to recast and, while I commend the decision to also go with a queer actress, I almost feel like they could have just ended the series. Has there ever been a show where they recast the main character after the first season successfully? I don't mean a side character, the title character.

Edited to Add: She left as part of a mutual decision because she wasn't having fun working on the show which was affecting the work space.

4 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Has there ever been a show where they recast the main character after the first season successfully?

Spartacus. They recast the role because the actor who played the titular character died and the new guy (who went on to play the Weather Wizard in the Flash show) held the role for two more seasons.

Has there been any 'news' on DC Universe, specifically any sort of plan for the shows?  With Stargirl being broadcast on The CW & Doom Patrol going on HBO Max I am a little confused. 

Airing Swamp Thing on The CW I understand: Bringing a finished product that is new to most people when new programming with be lean.  Makes sense.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, dc20willsave said:

I can't blame her since she almost got paralyzed earlier this season.

They're planning to recast and, while I commend the decision to also go with a queer actress, I almost feel like they could have just ended the series. Has there ever been a show where they recast the main character after the first season successfully? I don't mean a side character, the title character.

Edited to Add: She left as part of a mutual decision because she wasn't having fun working on the show which was affecting the work space.

Altered Carbon

:good:

2 hours ago, Professor said:

Has there been any 'news' on DC Universe, specifically any sort of plan for the shows?  With Stargirl being broadcast on The CW & Doom Patrol going on HBO Max I am a little confused. 

Airing Swamp Thing on The CW I understand: Bringing a finished product that is new to most people when new programming with be lean.  Makes sense.

With HBO Max being there and both being owned by Warner Media, I can see a case where DC Universe's original video side is shunted over to Max while DC Universe keeps the classic videos and the comics.

DC Universe's series are doing alright, but not "prop up a streaming service all by their own" levels of success. The curious decision to stagger the shows so they air separately from each other means there's really only one show, maybe two, airing at any given time which makes it hard to justify the expense if you aren't super interested in reading old comics or catching up on old episodes of Superboy. Moving the shows that work to HBO Max or the CW makes a huge amount of sense.