The Marvel Cartoon Universe

Guest TFG1Mike

Decide Your Favorite Cartoon  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I'm house sitting for my folks and I come across a nice little Spider-Man marathon. It did not hold up well for me at all. The animation is questionable at best with blatant recycled sences. The characters are all either bi-polar or poorly written. Spider-Man is emo most of the time.

I saw an episode of X-Men yesterday and the same rings true there. Cyclops was emo. The animation was piss poor. Storm, Cyclops and Corsair make an escape in a plane. They land and it get blown the fuck up. Too bad it was not the same ship they took off in.

I remember loving these shows (X-Men moreso) growing up, but damn, they did not hold up well at all.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things:

First: Isn't it great no one picked the piece of crap Iron man in the poll yet.

Second: Theirs no fantastic four in the poll. I'm not complaining though. Maybe I'm blind though. It's like 2:30 am here.

Was it the same voice in Unlimited as I think I've only ever seen one episode of that show and found it blah.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Two things:

First: Isn't it great no one picked the piece of crap Iron man in the poll yet.

Second: Theirs no fantastic four in the poll. I'm not complaining though. Maybe I'm blind though. It's like 2:30 am here.

Was it the same voice in Unlimited as I think I've only ever seen one episode of that show and found it blah.

Suave are you asking about Spidey's voice if it was the same? I believe it was the same in the 1994 and the Unlimited Series I'd have to look it up though.

If you read the first posting when I made the thread I told mike to edit the poll if I had forgotten any MCU shows FF was one I forgot sorry lol

As far as Iron Man it was better then the fucking Hulk Cartoon.

Below are pics of the Spidey Unlimited Costume which in my previous posting said was very cool.

155da84d.jpg

e9aadf53.jpg

Before anyone corrects me on the Spidey Peter Voices:

1994 Series Was: Christopher Daniel Barnes

1999 Unlimited Was: Rino Romano

so suave no they weren't the same but they kinda sound similar :D

A brick to the head was better than the Hulk cartoon!

Isn't the unlimited guy the one who did Batman on The Batman?

So he ruined the voice of two good comic characters....nice.

Guest DCAUFan1051

A brick to the head was better than the Hulk cartoon!

Isn't the unlimited guy the one who did Batman on The Batman?

So he ruined the voice of two good comic characters....nice.

yes suave he was the guy who played Batman in The Batman Cartoon

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any of them were particularly great. It's between X-Men and Spidey but I need to look back at the FF cartoon. I remember some goodness there.

I picked Spidey but as I'm re-watching the whole series with Cade. My complaint is the same as his. He spends half the time every episode saying "Where's Pider-Man, Dad?" "Is Peter Pider-Man? Where's Pider-Man?"

The parts with Parker are a boring screwdriver in the eye, but the Spidey parts are fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051
Wow!

yeah!!!!!! that's what I said when I first saw the commercial I was like wait what did that say DVR rewind........ yup it said what I thought it said.

It's too fucking bad that whomever owns the rights to Spidey 94 can't get offa their asses and just release it a DVD Complete Series all 65 toons on one set. I think it starts NYE Day and runs throughout but unsure.

Actually, there was one more that wasn't listed in the poll - I believe it was in 98 or 99. Silver Surfer ran for 13 episodes, was not in continuity with the 94-96 FF series (mark in its favor right there). Dealt more with the "cosmic" heros in the Marvel stable, with Thanos as the main villain. Ended on a cliffhanger, unfortunately.

I actually thought the first season of the Hulk wasn't too bad. When he was a geek on the run, things worked better. When he was a free man in the second season, you wonder why he's still roaming the earth thing, the plots got worse and worse, She-Hulk got annoying (I liked Jennifer Hale in Season 1 better than Cree Summer in S2), and all of a sudden, they start drawing Banner handsome and all the women are falling for him. On behalf of geeks everywhere, I protest.

Spider-Man was decent - Christopher Daniel Barnes, though, cannot portray rage to save his life. Every time Spidey loses his temper, I cringe.

Iron Man and Fantastic Four - ok, I'll stop here and point out that I have all of these. I have all sorts of crap that I will glibly bash. Spider-Woman? Plastic Man? Gen13 movie? Generation X and JLA pilots? Legends of the Superheroes with Adam West and Burt Ward? The Wonder Woman pilot done as a followup to Batman? Got it all. Sure, most of it is dated, cheesy, even crap. So what? Anyways, Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Avengers - I'll watch them. None really stand out - although one does note that Avengers with the armor up sequences, and Spider-Man Unlimited with the new costume both came out after Batman Beyond was so successful...

X-Men - Jubilee was obviously designed both to give younger viewer someone to whom they could relate, and also as a tool...to allow exposition. Same role that Kitty Pryde played in "Pryde of the X-Men" (yes, of course I have a copy). 2 main problems with this version. First is the dulling down of plot lines to get past censors. Proteus goes on a rampage - but has a reunion with Moira and his dad, and all's well! No. Colossus smashes him flat. Tell the story right, or make up your own. Jean Grey sacrifices herself on the moon, and the Phoenix Force resurrects her, no harm, no foul. And the less said about that pathetic attempt at the Brood, the better. If you're going to tell these stories, respect the source material. If you can't do it justice, don't try - go in a different direction, like X-Men Evolution did. Too many of the storylines felt like someone just grabbed stuff from the comics as close to verbatim as possible and adapted it for cartoons, but didn't really take the time to read or understand it as they did it. My other gripe - OK, I realize that TV is a 2 dimensional medium. Still, could we at least have some 2D characters? It would be a huge improvement over the 1D characters they used. Rogue, for example. She is either A) a good ol' Southern gal, or B) upset that she ca't touch anyone. She has no other response to situations. And she's one of the best developed characters. Why do Wolverine and Cyclops even care about Jean Grey? Evidently it's for her body, because she has no personality, and little mind to speak of. Nightcrawler is a joking swashbuckler, a medic, a leader, and a Catholic who tries to lead a very moral life. Nope, that's to hard. We'll just make him stereotypic Catholic...a monk!...and forget all of the rest of his character.

I commented on another thread about the difference between X-Men and Evolution. Evolution, I thought, did a much better job of giving the characters more depth, and really, if you don't care about the characters, you're not going to care much about the show (Of course, if the plots suck, you're not likely to come back either, although the persistent popularity of soap operas might prove me wrong there).

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051

Tomorrow morning at 6AM Eastern The Spidey 1994 Marathon starts woohooo I'll be watching.....

Chris I disagree with you on Barnes's rage factor I got a chill when Vemon first took over Pete in the 1994 cartoon when he's talking to Felicia and she states that he's starting to scare her. That wasn't really rage but attitude it it was kinda bone chilling to me.

As far as the X-Men 1992 I love it it's kinda meant for adults whereas Evolution was geared towards kids.

I've been rewatching X-Men 92 on jetix at 2:30am and I love the storylines even though I'm watching them out of order. I am so gonna import these DVD sets from amazon's uk site.

Chris I disagree with you on Barnes's rage factor I got a chill when Vemon first took over Pete in the 1994 cartoon when he's talking to Felicia and she states that he's starting to scare her. That wasn't really rage but attitude it it was kinda bone chilling to me.

As far as the X-Men 1992 I love it it's kinda meant for adults whereas Evolution was geared towards kids.

I'm not saying he can't act (if I knock a Little Mermaid alum, I'll be in big trouble with the munchkin) - I guess I meant less the attitude than the berserk fury/flying into a murderous rage - (and the fact that Spidey went into a murderous rage enough for me to comment on the acting in it says something about the drama level) - it just seemed very forced.

As far as the kids vs adults in X-Men, I can't speak to intent. In practice, I think that the original storylines used for the 90s series were very mature - but the fact that they did the mega-happy endings (not really, but you know what I mean) robs a lot of the impact. The storylines in Evolution may not have started out as deep, but the fact that they were more cohesive makes the end result much more watchable (at least to someone who read a lot of the original storylines from the 90s series) and therefore more appealing to adults. Granted, Evolution had younger characters and was set in a high school, but the fact that their characters were much more developed makes it much more engaging for me as an adult to watch - I'm not saying that the 90s series is bad, but having watched them both as an adult (I was 19 when the 1990s series premiered), I think that the shortcomings of the 90s series are much more apparent to an adult, while a child would just focus on the action and might not pick up on things like these(and would be much less likely to have read the original creepy as hell Brood storyline, which, I admit, was kind of resolved by a deus ex machina in the comics). Like I said, I have them all on DVD and formatted for my iPod, and still watch them, but I do prefer Evolution. 90s X-Men seemed like an attempt to do for X-Men what BTAS did for Bats, but without the panache, and they fell short. I would agree that they may have been aiming older than Evolution, but I think the fact that ignoring continuity and such, Evolution was the better show, so is more watchable for me. I know it's inconsistent for me to say let's ignore continuity after claiming that one of the problems with the 90s series was changing the story, but like I said, if you want to use the comics for storyboards, then keep the story. If you need to completely alter things to get the censor's approval, then maybe write a new story - otherwise, it seems both disrespectful to the original material as well as somewhat lazy.

Of course, as a perspective check, the worst of these series? Still better than the best episode of Barney. Thank goodness I managed to shove that lizard back into the tarpit in this house.

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051

I can see your point Chris, but when I was watching X-Men even though I was only 12 when it came out I loved seeing them on TV as I've stated many times I never read many comics but I know some of the comics storylines ended up in the 1992 series. Here's the best way that I can describe how I view them:

X-Men 1992 is like any DCAU show (zeta, static, and TT excluded)

X-Men Evolution is like Teen Titans and this new Batman: The Brave and the Bold crap

at least that's the way I view them.

I don't know how much input Stan Lee had on Evolution but he was an executive producer on the 1992 cartoon and yes I know that role is very vague but they are his characters and I bet he put a lot of thought and creative juices into the writers heads with which way the characters went in that series.

Evolution was probably more kid friendly because the 1992 series was a bit dark and the storylines as I said were more adult at least Jubilee was there for a character that kids could relate to. Ah well still classic cartoon!!!

Guest DCAUFan1051

Since I've been watching the Spidey 94 marathon I've got several questions and would appreciate any answers or opinions people could give me.

In the comics it's my understanding that the 2 loves in Peter's life are Gwen Stacy and MJ but in the cartoon as far as I can remember they only use Gwen once in an alternate reality in the Series fionale 2 parter Spider Wars.

So the question is where does the love for Black Cat come into play because they played that angle up more in the cartoon then the Gwen Stacy stuff. Is Felicia Hardy an actual comic character or was she made up for the series??

Another thing I'm curious about is the mutation disease episodes was this made up for the cartoon storylines or is it in the comics as well?

I like very much how they animated the city in this cartoon partly 3-D when going around buildings with the cameras and everything.

The voice acting for these characters is spot on... I view it the same way as the DCAU Voices no one else could have played these characters so well in this cartoon.

Holy shit Jennifer Hale played the voice of Felicia Hardy/Black Cat wow!!!! that woman has talent. :D

Spidey 94 rules!!!!!!!!

Black Cat: Peter and Felicia have had a kind of dirty, sordid affair for years. It's a Batman/Catwoman sort of thing, in that Pete doesn't like some of the things she does, but is still attracted to her.

Disease: Pete became Six Armed Spidey and Man-Spider a couple of times, but I think those resulted from him trying to take his powers away.

Peter originally gained four extra arms at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #100 and lost them in issue #102. It was during this arc that Morbius made his debut, like in the cartoon. Unlike the cartoon, Morbius' transformation in the original story was not a result of experimenting with Peter's blood. The Man-Spider bit is a different story all together and might have been after the cartoon now that I think about it.

Guest DCAUFan1051
So has the show aged well?

regardless of Preston's Simpsons reference in my own opinion I believe Spidey 94 has aged very well. Only because I feel like everytime I watch it it's 1994 again.... I feel the same way about X-Men 1992 just like the DCAU cartoons will become classics so are these. They must be aging well if they're still in syndication on the jetix thing.

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

:holyshit: I was looking through the TV Networks feature in the iTunes Store this AM and found that through the Disney XD page Spidey 1994 and X-Men 1992 have 13 episodes I might buy some but I dunno. :D Haven't looked at the Spidey eps on iTunes but I did get the X-Men ones..................

one problem.... Episodes 11-12 are fucking missing damn you iTunes!!!! Those eps are Days of Future's Past Parts 1-2

• 4 weeks later...