Vote

JackFetch

Well, I got emails talking about Bush being the anti-christ so that swings both ways.

I've never seen anything like that. I think that goes along with the people that said Bill gates is the anti Christ. What I'm talking about came from a church and is being sent around to it's memebers. Which if you think about it is funny, because if you believe he is the anti Christ, wouldn't you be happy because that means the bible was right and you are about to be raptured?

The news just came in by moose telegram. I Desmond Doomsday of the great 51st state, the District of Canadia, do solemnly declare my loss in this hard-fought two year battle. I want to thank all of the volunteers: the Inuit ice sculptors and chainsaw carving lumberjacks for my beautiful, if impractical campaign signs, the flannel-draped children simply for surviving the door-to-door campaigning during two harsh winters of this campaign...we only lost eleven of them. This is all because of you.

Had you lived like a true Canamerican, I may still have won.

I will now tell you what I have told President Elect Obama: I will continue to serve my great nation with pride, not with a tri-partisan sluggish mockery of what this great nation can be.

I will leave you now with words from the founding father of this 51st state, Bob McKenzie: "I gotta take a leak so bad I can taste it."

Thank you.

<waving>

:cry:

That was beautiful...... :cry:

You know, there comes a time in every mans life, that he must make a decision, and with the ending of Desmond "Doomsday, Dread-meister, Dr Doomsberry, That guy with the hair, me am Dread, the Dread-areino" Stepping down so solemnly, it made me realise what i must do now, I will never vote again!

Vote for your favourite backstreet boy?

I retract my last statement and vote for Horie Dorough!

I have a serious question to ask since I seem to be the only person here who didn't vote for Obama. (I voted for Barr, for the record.) To all of you Obama voters, what exactly is it that made you vote for Obama? I'm not trying to be a jackass here in any way. I'd actually like a serious discussion.

Because here are my feelings on Obama--I think the guy's economic policies and beliefs are absolutely ridiculous. He's been extremely vague on how he will implement nearly everything he's said he will do while in office. He especially left a bad taste in my mouth with his "selfish" comment. However, I think the guy is a good and well meaning person who has made friends/acquaintances over the years with some VERY scummy people (Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, etc.). He's certainly not the terrorist-lover that the far right tries to make him out to be, though. But, then I see these rallies where people chant "YES WE CAN!" like he's Bob the Builder or something and it looks like a cult. Millions of people act as if he's the Messiah and I just don't understand it because he just seems to be nothing but talk.

Anyway, all I want to know is, why Obama? I just don't understand it, is all. He talks an outstanding game, but where is the substance? And I don't want to hear "because he's not a Republican", either. (Let's not forget the Democrats have controlled both houses of Congress for two years now.) What makes Obama so awesome? I'm not going to rant or flame anyone, and I would hope the favor is returned. Let's discuss. :happy:

I didn't vote, for the record. I'm Libertarian, but Barr is the guy that got fooled by Borat of all people. I can't stand the guy.

I agree with you on Obama though. I think he was the better choice in terms of the rest of the world's perception of us, but in six months, he's just going to be another guy in charge that we bitch about.

I got to see Barr speak at my university a week or so ago and he was great. Got to meet him, too. I can understand why many Libertarians aren't too fond of him since he does go against a few of their core values, but he's an infinitely better choice than either Obama or McCain, in my humble opinion.

Firstly, Obama's association with Bill Ayers? The man was on a charity board with the guy, they weren't wife swapping. Ayers was citizen of the year in Chicago in 1997. Yes he did some horrible things in the past but for the vast majority of his life he's dedicated himself to public service, and I don't think the man Obama would have met would have been recognisable as the same person. Besides, John McCain was a key notes speaker at a fundraiser for that same charity less than two years ago, he didn't mind sharing a stage with Ayers.

Regarding his policies, I'd say yes, he's been vague, at least up to a point. Several speeches have outlined details of his plans, they just arn't his stump speech material. I'm not particularly swayed by Obama in relation to tax cuts, I just want the damage done by Bush to be redressed. The main thing about Obama is that he has displayed consistent moral values and leadership on key issues, including the middle eastern conflict and race. You feel that the man is engaged on all levels of what he needs to understand to be president, he's not going to invade a country without understanding the ethnic makeup of it first. I trust his ability to take responsibility for his actions.

I'm not super high on Obama. I think McCain has the wits and wherewithal to govern and guide the US a lot more effectively than Bush ever did. The biggest thing in Obamas favor over McCain is that Obama brought his supporters to him. McCain abandoned the middle ground and went straight to the fundamentalist base, and that terrified a lot of new or swing voters. Sarah Palin was a choice that did massive harm to the cause of women approaching executive office. I don't trust McCain to ignore those voices from within his party. John McCain two or three years ago was a man I could have supported, a moderate with a strong reputation for individual thought. That man was not seen during this campaign, no matter how many times anyone said Maverick.

Firstly, Obama's association with Bill Ayers? The man was on a charity board with the guy, they weren't wife swapping. Ayers was citizen of the year in Chicago in 1997. Yes he did some horrible things in the past but for the vast majority of his life he's dedicated himself to public service, and I don't think the man Obama would have met would have been recognisable as the same person. Besides, John McCain was a key notes speaker at a fundraiser for that same charity less than two years ago, he didn't mind sharing a stage with Ayers.

Regarding his policies, I'd say yes, he's been vague, at least up to a point. Several speeches have outlined details of his plans, they just arn't his stump speech material. I'm not particularly swayed by Obama in relation to tax cuts, I just want the damage done by Bush to be redressed. The main thing about Obama is that he has displayed consistent moral values and leadership on key issues, including the middle eastern conflict and race. You feel that the man is engaged on all levels of what he needs to understand to be president, he's not going to invade a country without understanding the ethnic makeup of it first. I trust his ability to take responsibility for his actions.

I'm not super high on Obama. I think McCain has the wits and wherewithal to govern and guide the US a lot more effectively than Bush ever did. The biggest thing in Obamas favor over McCain is that Obama brought his supporters to him. McCain abandoned the middle ground and went straight to the fundamentalist base, and that terrified a lot of new or swing voters. Sarah Palin was a choice that did massive harm to the cause of women approaching executive office. I don't trust McCain to ignore those voices from within his party. John McCain two or three years ago was a man I could have supported, a moderate with a strong reputation for individual thought. That man was not seen during this campaign, no matter how many times anyone said Maverick.

This.

Honestly, I voted Obama and *hoped* that the GOP would pick up enough seats to restrain him. Obama at the helm redeems us so much overseas and I do find him to be a great, inspiring leader for the country. He stands likely to reunite the country. Even though I dislike some of his economic policy, I think he can bring people together, which is what the country needs more than anything. No one politician is going to fix our economy, but one man might unite us.

James, I feel your pain, as I felt the exact same thing in November last year when our current Prime Minister lead a campaign of "change", but at the time Australia was in the midst of record economic growth, record low employment. So when I heard people supporting him, I said if we change from strong economy and low unemployment, doesn't that mean that everything will be bad? Their response.... but the current guy has been around too long! Yes I'm fucking serious.

The past 12 months have taught me one thing, Jerry Springer figured it out 18 years ago, Lisa Simpson told us a decade ago and our politicians have only just recently truly embracing it. "You can't got wrong appealing to the lowest common denominator". I'm not talking about smear tactics or cheap pops/heat. I'm talking about finger on the pulse, exploiting an undercurrent of emotions in a gullible electorate. From a purely strategic point of view, you have to commend them for using the media to fan such blatant 'cheap poppery' but hey, it works. It worked for Tony Blair, it worked for Kevin Rudd and now it's worked for Obama.

So then I ask, and this is an innocent question, I don't know either way. Do you think somewhere in the back of his mind, Obama thinks this was a cheap victory, and that the cheapness of it kinda lessens the impact of it? I mean cheap as in basically any Democrat would have won this one after 8yrs of Bush and then the McCain/Palin ticket... It's like in sports, I've always thought you are judged on your opponent more so than your own skills. Great feuds make great individuals.

Imagine if it was Obama 08 vs Reagan 80, would it have been such a slam dunk for Obama (heheh, slam dunk, playing basketball on election day)...In hindsight, if the GOP had Romney as their candidate and then the economic troubles hit, it could have been a very, very different story.

Of course this links to another one of my arguments that the whole 'primary' system for choosing a candidate is flawed. Anyone with half a brain in the GOP shouldn't have let a sitting Senator or Congressmen run, as it would be too easy to link them to Bush. It should have been one of the Governors. Plus, I thought, in theory Rudy had a smart strategy of ignoring the early states, as they only account for 2% of the vote. Of course they accounted for 100% of the media coverage before Super Tuesday, so he didn't have the momentum of 2% of the votes, hehehe.

I agree with what Preston said. If he can truly unite the country (or at least parts of it) then I think history will remember him very favorably. If he ends up trying to make too many people happy and forgets the "united states" part of his speech, then he'll be in trouble.