Meh.

Missy

'Meh': Apathetic expression enters dictionary

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer Jill Lawless, Associated Press Writer

LONDON – At least someone is excited about "meh."

The expression of indifference or boredom has gained a place in the Collins English Dictionary after generating a surprising amount of enthusiasm among lexicographers.

Publisher HarperCollins announced Monday the word had been chosen from terms suggested by the public for inclusion in the dictionary's 30th anniversary edition, to be published next year.

The origins of "meh" are murky, but the term grew in popularity after being used in a 2001 episode of "The Simpsons" in which Homer suggests a day trip to his children Bart and Lisa.

"They both just reply 'meh' and keep watching TV," said Cormac McKeown, head of content at Collins Dictionaries.

The dictionary defines "meh" as an expression of indifference or boredom, or an adjective meaning mediocre or boring. Examples given by the dictionary include "the Canadian election was so meh."

The dictionary's compilers said the word originated in North America, spread through the Internet and was now entering British spoken English.

"This is a new interjection from the U.S. that seems to have inveigled its way into common speech over here," McKeown said. "Internet forums and e-mail are playing a big part in formalizing the spellings of vocal interjections like these. A couple of other examples would be 'hmm' and 'heh.'

"Meh" was selected by Collins after it asked people to submit words they use in conversation that are not in the dictionary. Other suggestions included jargonaut, a fan of jargon; frenemy, an enemy disguised as a friend; and huggles, a hybrid of hugs and snuggles.

Source

It truly saddens me that "meh" has become a legitimate word. :shakehead:

Guest DCAUFan1051
I hate anyone that uses meh, or any other internet speak in real life. The god damn Simpsons did not invent it either.

The one that really pisses me off is QQ. I will punch the first person that says that to me in person.

I hate to do this jack but I use meh all the time, and the first place I heard it was the Simpsons :D

and by the way what is QQ??

:devil:

I first heard meh all the time outside the internet and it is part of my actual speech.

I seriously don't knowwhy some people get so jumpy over vocabulary. I mean, language is there so that people understand each other. So long as I can understand you, I don't care what you say.

We are witnessing the death of the english language because people are too lazy to type full sentences. The fact that they are putting all these made up words into the dictionary means kids will learn them in school. In twenty years we won't even know what people are saying because it will all be short hand.

QQ means cry btw. I mostly hear it when people are arguing as it's kind of an insult to tell people to "QQ more".

I'd say booo-urns but then I'd be afraid of it becoming a word too so I will simply: :shakehead:

Okay, I must know. Is "boo-urns" a Canadian thing? I never, not one time, ever, heard it used outside of that one Simpsons episode, and then my company merged with its Canadian parent, and I have to talk to Albertans all day long, and I swear now a day doesn't go by that somebody up there doesn't throw that in my general direction.

I'd say booo-urns but then I'd be afraid of it becoming a word too so I will simply: :shakehead:

Okay, I must know. Is "boo-urns" a Canadian thing? I never, not one time, ever, heard it used outside of that one Simpsons episode, and then my company merged with its Canadian parent, and I have to talk to Albertans all day long, and I swear now a day doesn't go by that somebody up there doesn't throw that in my general direction.

Uh...I guess so.

hoser

Are we seriously acting like slang and colloquialisms are the downfall of western civilization? It's a word.

I surely didn't lose my entire vocabulary when "crunk" entered the dictionary. This isn't going to matter one bit.

Again, that would probably be me.

Once in a while, yes. But it's not just you; I think pretty much everyone has done it once or twice.

I don't use "meh" often. I prefer entire paragraphs of senseless bullshit.

When I cut those, it's not a comment on the quality of writing. Usually I simply felt the review needed to be streamlined and wasn't hurt by the loss of the line / paragraph.

Logan #1. I didn't use his name.

So first of all, who the hell thought, "You know what the world is missing? An eleventh book with Wolverine in it. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before. I'm a genius. Memo to self: made another gutsy decision today. Celebrate with the Funny Face pancakes at IHOP and another gold chain."