The TFG1 Podcast by DCAUFan1051

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

Recently I've had a lot of time on my hands that I found just wasting by sleeping my job is an on call situation so I've no "set hours" . I want to do a Worlds Finest Podcast style of podcast. Where I'd review the 1984-1987 Transformers Generation 1 Cartoon. I'd also like to review the Beast Wars and Beast Machines Cartoons. I'd be going episode by episode like WFP but mine will be in airdate order or however they are in order on the DVD Sets. I'll also review the 1986 Transformers animated movie and the 2007 live action film as well as it's subsequent sequel coming out next year. I've always been a big TF fanboy and I think this will help me to actually have something to do then just sit here like a faking zombie all the time. Below is a partial email I sent to another Transformers Fan asking his opinion he has yet to reply to me:

I recently acquired the Rhino DVD sets of the Transformers Generation 1 cartoon.... I watch them all the time and I really want to do a podcast reviewing the series. Seeing as no one seems to be doing it. I'd also like to review the entire Beast Wars and Beast Machines cartoon series.

I've searched throughout iTunes and no one seems to be doing this everyone including the TFWIRE crew is more focussed on the toys, news, movie, and stuff. I still have to get a headset to be able to record.

I'm debating between doing a weekly, every 2 weeks, or once a month.

The format would be as follows:

Introduction

General Comments/Email/Listener Questions

Review 5 Episodes of TF G1 per episode of the podcast.

Closing Comments

Outro

I know it will be a lot of hard work but hopefully I can get some help from someone out there in podcast land. Any thoughts anyone has please let me know. Below are pics of the season sets of TF Generation 1:

TransformersG1DVDSetUSA2.jpg

TFG1DVDSet1.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are two bits of advice I would give anyone looking to start a new podcast:

01. Make sure you're very passionate about your subject matter, because producing a podcast is a lot of hard work, and the only thing that will get you through it is your desire to speak about one topic at length.

02. Set a schedule and stick to it. It's very hard to retain an audience if they don't know when your next episode will be released.

Guest DCAUFan1051
If you ever need someone to discuss the Marvel comics or worship the movie without any real objectivity then give me a call. I've barely even seen the cartoon aside from a couple of VHS stories I had when I was a kid.

wait.... what?

which movie the 1986 animated one or the 2007 live action?.... Or were you talking about marvel movies :D

just to update everyone I have found another Transformers Fan who is willing to sponsor my podcast I still have to put everything together though like a title and awesome artwork and everything. At this point all I can say is think WFP format but with Transformers!!

thanks everyone for the advice

You'll need to find your own format. I'm not saying that in a "that's ours, don't steal it" sort of way, but rather in a "you need to find what works for you" sort of way. Just because that format works for WFP, doesn't mean it will work for your show. So brainstorm some ideas before you settle on one.

If you ever need someone to discuss the Marvel comics or worship the movie without any real objectivity then give me a call. I've barely even seen the cartoon aside from a couple of VHS stories I had when I was a kid.

which movie the 1986 animated one or the 2007 live action?.... Or were you talking about marvel movies :D

The 1986 film. God damn I've seen that thing 1000 times.

Guest DCAUFan1051
You'll need to find your own format. I'm not saying that in a "that's ours, don't steal it" sort of way, but rather in a "you need to find what works for you" sort of way. Just because that format works for WFP, doesn't mean it will work for your show. So brainstorm some ideas before you settle on one.

yessir :D

I meant as far as the format of the following:

intro

general chat email/listener questions

review the episodes

outro

I'm not sure if I'm going to use a scoring system since the G1 transformers cartoons only ran four seasons and aren't a entire Universe plus if I do the Beast Wars/Beast Machines cartoons I need to get those DVD's first.... my main focus is the G1 cartoon series right now.

and stavros every time I watch the 86 animated movie I freakin cry my eyes out when Prime Dies!!!!

I've seen that movie so many times I can say every line even if I'm just hearing it not watching it. outside of Return Of The Joker it's my #1 favorite animated movie ever!!

Guest DCAUFan1051

WOW!!!!! I defeinitely have a newfound respect for Mike, James, and everyone else that records a podcast. Holy Shit just writing out a synopsis is freakin hard. I just finished my first episode of Transformers Generation 1 I'd already watched through it and made notes but had to go back because I forgot to write the fucking synopsis. Hey at least I've got one episode reviewed and on paper now to start on the second....... :D

Mike & James: Do you actually write out the synopsis of a DCAU episode then your notes or do you just synopsize from memory from watching that particular episode?

Guest DCAUFan1051

I've mapped out the first three episodes of my podcast as far as what episodes of the G1 Transformers cartoon I'll review each episode. damn this podcast will be epic for me. I might even be able to get a few interviews with people that have done work on the G1 cartoon!! (thanks to a friend of mine)

It's funny when I mapped out the episodes that I'd review within the first three podcast episodes that finished off the entire first season of the show. I think I might be doing this thing monthly but might be fortnightly I dunno yet haven;t worked that out. It just depends on how the other episodes fall.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I write one out for the episodes I know I'm going to introduce. It cuts down on those atrocious "uh's" and "um's".

yeah that's kinda what I did but mine are like a page and a half each of synopsis then about three quarters of a page of my thoughts on that episode. The way I did the synopsis I watched that episode wrote what happens down then rewatched to take notes. I definitely have a newfound respect for you podcasting professionals. :D

Guest DCAUFan1051

OK I now have a headset with mic and am testing out recording my voice. I've been typing my fingers into the ground over the last four days getting scripts ready for my podcast. I'm going to be recording today and see how everything comes out. Wish me luck I'll need it

And thanks to James mostly because when he points out animation flubs on WFP I've picked up that task and you think that the DCAU shows have flubs holy shit Transformers G1 cartoons have major ones almost every episode!!!!!

And thanks to James mostly because when he points out animation flubs on WFP I've picked up that task and you think that the DCAU shows have flubs holy shit Transformers G1 cartoons have major ones almost every episode!!!!!

That was my favorite part of the Transformers Movie anniversary dvd. They pointed out almost every screw up, and characters that were dead that somehow made it back to scenes later on.

Guest DCAUFan1051

That was my favorite part of the Transformers Movie anniversary dvd. They pointed out almost every screw up, and characters that were dead that somehow made it back to scenes later on.

it's very true I mean the first three parter of the season 1 set there's more animation flubs then anything else. My plan for the 1986 animated flick is to have my synopsis of it then bring in other Transformers fans to comment on it roundtable style. but that's a ways off just yet.

Can I add something?

Just have headlines of what you are going to say, or instead of whole paragraphs saying exactly what your going to say, have a line for a whole bit like. When i did my NOES reviews for youtube, I wrote a line to remind myself of a section instead of writing exactly what i was thinking. For example in part four, I noticed that Freddy had lost any sympathy he had when he kept killing innocent kids. When he got the final Elm Street kids, he just went after innocent kids and lost any sympathy he had in the first three films as he was going for "Unlawful revenge" but still revenge. Instead of writing all that, i wrote:

freddy no longer has a reason to continue. He's won. what the hell are they going to do for the next hour!?

That gave me room to remember what I wrote and also add bits when I was talking and make what i was saying sound interesting and not just read off the page.

Can't wait to hear the podcast.

Also as Yoda said, keep a schedule, your fans won't check every day for new episodes, they'll get bored.

The Batman Universe podcast comes out sporadically, and when a reader in one of the last two episodes asked when new episodes where coming out, meaning she wanted to know the schedule, so that she could keep track the host just said "Well, if your listening to this, that means it's out."

Guest DCAUFan1051

yea suave thanks for the advice

I'm planning a set schedule just like mike and james have for WFP I believe my episodes will be once a month.... but I'm still not sure I'm currently working on promo spots for the podcast I did record a raw and uncut episode 1 but didn't like it. So I have to rerecord I'm getting the hang of it.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Ok my plan is to have an episode posted to iTunes every other Friday just like WFP is every other wednesday.

I'm currently recording Episode 1 I'll be setting up a gmail account for anyone who wants to write in and ask me questions or give their comments. Please remember that my podcast is dedicated to Transformers Generation 1 cartoon. this cartoon ran from 1984-1988. So if there are any closet TF fans out there please listen to my podcast. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress....

Guest DCAUFan1051
I'll be giving it a listen when it premieres.

thanks I greatly appreciate it !!! :D

right now I'm looking at a posting date of December 12 for it to premiere. I'm still learning the editing aspects of the podcast. Even though my buddy is sponsoring it on his site I'd like to learn how to edit and maniipulate the audio of it. It will feature the G1 intro as the intro music and the as the outro it will be the G1 cartoon end credits.

So far I have the first three podcast episodes written out I've recorded the first episode and listening to the playback. The synopsis's that I read are kinda long but they get shorter as I go along.

Suave you're right about not reading right off the page.... but sometimes I do.

Just think all you Earth-2 ppl you'll be getting WFP and TFG1 episodes the same week. The reason why I've decided on December 12th as a premiere date it's the friday after WFP releases. Double goodness. !!!!! I so wish I had a co host though holy shit my voice is killing me. The first episode is just over an hour long.

I have decided on an offical title of my podcast it is as the topic title says:

The TFG1 Podcast

it was the shortest title I thought of if you are not a Transformers fan G1 stands for Generation 1 it's the abbreviation that the 1984 cartoon earned in syndication.

EDIT: I've finished and it's great....in my humble opinion the first episode will run 1:06:24 without the intro/outro music I think I've done a great job. At least for an ametuer

Guest DCAUFan1051

The TFG1 Podcast Feed Including an Audio Advertisement

as you can see above my feed has been created and as of right now there is an ad I recorded for it that you can listen to.

can anyone tell me what an FTP Program is?? yes I know it sounds like a stupid question but I'm new to podcasting

I'm still having audio issues apparently I must change my PC audio settings every time I want to either rip DVD audio or do voice record it's fucked up

Guest DCAUFan1051
FTP = File Transfer Protocol. It's what you would use to upload files from your PC onto the internet.

thanks dan I think I'm just going to use yousendit.com to send the episode files to the editor lol

It still stands that December 12 2008 will be the premiere date. At first I was planning a fortnightly podcast just as WFP is. However with me writing up the scripts and notes faster then usual it may go to a weekly podcast. I'll be defining that later on this week.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Mike, while reading a full script has its benefits (such as, you won't leave out anything you wanted to mention), it tends to lack a natural flow. You'll want to find that balance between glancing at your notes and reading from a script.

thanks for the advice mike I'm trying to find that middle ground so far I've been reading from the script I wrote with interrupting it if I read something that I want to comment on right then and there especially if it makes no sense.

right now I'm in the middle of recording episode 2.... I've found out that if I want audio clips before each episode I have to get them before I do my voice recording. Because I have to switch the sound settings back and forth ugh that is so weird to me and it makes me so fucking mad hopefully I can return those bose speakers and get a credit on my account that way I'm not paying for something I'm not using grrrrr :ot: I know