Episode 42

RSS

In this batch of Batman Beyond episodes, Terry's suit is taken over by a vengeful / digitized CEO ("Lost Soul"), a mad hunter tracks Batman ("Bloodsport"), an overachieving student seeks revenge on Maxine for scoring higher on a test ("Hidden Agenda"), Ten returns to Gotham and a life of crime in an effort to save her family ("Once Burned...") and Terry must save Maxine from becoming addicted to the latest digital drug ("Hooked Up"). [ 1:51:03 || 50.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_042.mp3

Guest DCAUFan1051

OK I've taken a page out of suavestar's playbook and rewatched the episodes the guys reviewed for WFP 42. I am now wondering about several things that go throughout the Batman Beyond continuity throughout the DC Animated Universe:

Throughout the series they portray Terry as a poor kid even though he works for Bruce Fucking Wayne!!

Throughout the BB Series Terry always says the damage that happens when he stops crime "aint comin out of his allowance"

How much is Bruce paying him? Prison wages??

Then in Return Of The Joker when Terry quits he tells Dana that "the bad news is I won't have much money coming in but you have me all to yourself"

So from that statement are we to assume that Bruce Pays him like 2,000.00 a month??

OK so onto the episode and my thoughts about it:

Did you know that Carl Lumbly was The Stalker in Bloodsport Way cool

Also Michael Rosenbaum played Terminal

I'm not done listening yet so I'll add to this post later

Damn, I'm surprised with the Once Burned scores. Granted, I didn't immediately twig that Terry had actually slept with Melanie, but to say this episode is on par with the Terrible Trio?!? Did the Ten dilemma seriously rank with three rich douchebags being douchebags? Or Batgirl lassoing a giant mechanical dinosaur (for that 0.5 Mean Seasons trainwreck)? It's totally your call to make obviously, but to grade the episode so low on an implied event is weird. Gunfight is less defensible (although I'd argue that Terry, being an immature Batman without the no-guns policy that Wayne always had, wouldn't have realised and/or minded the implications as much as Bruce) but I really doubt Terry & Melissa slept together if only for the dialogue with Max afterwards. "I wish I knew" doesn't imply anything as serious as Terry instigating a full-on one night stand and Max as much as addresses the fact that the uncertainty isn't fair on Dana, so Terry's feelings don't go unnoticed.

I dunno, maybe I have to watch it again, but I really didn't mind this episode at all. Of course, it could be my personal bias towards George Lazenby and his wonderful 5 lines of dialogue!

Guest DCAUFan1051
Damn, I'm surprised with the Once Burned scores. Granted, I didn't immediately twig that Terry had actually slept with Melanie, but to say this episode is on par with the Terrible Trio?!? Did the Ten dilemma seriously rank with three rich douchebags being douchebags? Or Batgirl lassoing a giant mechanical dinosaur (for that 0.5 Mean Seasons trainwreck)? It's totally your call to make obviously, but to grade the episode so low on an implied event is weird. Gunfight is less defensible (although I'd argue that Terry, being an immature Batman without the no-guns policy that Wayne always had, wouldn't have realised and/or minded the implications as much as Bruce) but I really doubt Terry & Melanie! slept together if only for the dialogue with Max afterwards. "I wish I knew" doesn't imply anything as serious as Terry instigating a full-on one night stand and Max as much as addresses the fact that the uncertainty isn't fair on Dana, so Terry's feelings don't go unnoticed.

I dunno, maybe I have to watch it again, but I really didn't mind this episode at all. Of course, it could be my personal bias towards George Lazenby and his wonderful 5 lines of dialogue!

fixed :D

I never noticed the sex thing.

But now that I am going to have to watch the episode and listen again.

I hate you Des.....you ruined the one comic I still was moderately entertained by.

And Mike you ruined the one show i found slightly entertaining though not as impactful or as good as BTAS or the entire first season of James Bond Jr. (When will someone besides me acknowledge this show exsisted!)

Guest DCAUFan1051
And Mike you ruined the one show i found slightly entertaining though not as impactful or as good as BTAS or the entire first season of James Bond Jr. (When will someone besides me acknowledge this show exsisted!)

wayyyyy :ot:

I remember the Bond Jr cartoon but i remember the books better.

They were alone in his apartment, sitting on his bed in the dark when they embraced. The screen then faded to black. To me, that implies sex happened off screen.

But even if it didn't, even if they just kissed or made out, he still cheated on Dana. And when your main character -- a superhero, mind you -- does that, it really runs the risk of turning viewers off.

Guest DCAUFan1051
And when your main character -- a superhero, mind you -- does that, it really runs the risk of turning viewers off.

Is that why my superhero show, "Old lady love machine man" was cancelled after two episodes?

OOOOWWWWWWWWW bad visual suave holy shit that's wrong

They were alone in his apartment, sitting on his bed in the dark when they embraced. The screen then faded to black. To me, that implies sex happened off screen.

But even if it didn't, even if they just kissed or made out, he still cheated on Dana. And when your main character -- a superhero, mind you -- does that, it really runs the risk of turning viewers off.

I don't deny that, I just wonder whether that makes the episode thoroughly detestable.

Hmmm....two episodes of "Old Lady Love Machine" did beat my series "MILF super heroes"--it only had the pilot episode, which was never picked up. Both of those are still better than Stan Lee's "So you want to be a superhero?" Maybe my new idea, "Superheroes who give you blue balls" will finally find success--it's just 30 minutes of Olivia D'Abo doing voice work...still I would pay damn well to see that. :shakehead:

I had hoped that someone would bring it up, but I guess it is up to me.

Did anyone ever read a short story called "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell. If you haven't here is a brief summary: A big game hunter named Rainsford is washed overboard in a storm and ends up on an island. There he meets a man called General Zarloff. Zarloff is always a big game hunter, but he has gotten bored with the average big game and has upgraded to hunting man. (Anybody picking up on what I am alluding to?) Zarloff makes Rainsford a wager: if Rainsford can avoid Zarloff for three days, Rainsford goes free. If not, well, it doesn't take much imagination.

The plot of Bloodsport was clearly lifted off the pages of "The Most Dangerous Game". The Stalker=Zarloff, Terry=Rainsford. The reasoning:

-Terry has Batman "hunts" the streets of Gotham looking for bad guys and throws them into jail.

-The Stalker has come to the conclusion that the game he used to hunt is not enough of a challenge since he got his enhancements. Ergo he has moved to hunting man (re: Batman).

Reason I brought this up in the first place: in one of my English classes the subject of literature's impact on the TV and movies was brought up and Bloodsport was one of the TV episodes discussed.

Anyway, I felt the need to bring it up.

I haven't read much Marvel, so the clearest parallel I saw was to "The Most Dangerous Game", which I also read freshman year of high school and again in college when we discussed irony. My professor also compared Zarloff to Dracula, because the way Connell described Zarloff's appearance was very similar to how Stoker described Dracula's appearance. But there may have been other reasons for the comparison.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Yeah, I've read "The Most Dangerous Game," but it was during my freshman year of high school, so it wasn't readily on my mind. Plus, I saw "Bloodsport" as an homage to Kraven the Hunter.

yea if you beef up The Stalker a bit and put a brightly colored yellow fur a round his neck that'd be Kraven The Hunter :D