Avatar: The Last Airbender live action movie

JackFetch

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that looks really good. I am surprised.

My thoughts echoed exactly. The first bit seemed a little silly, but it steadily got better. By the final shot, I was shouting "WOAH!"

It looks visually to be a great live-action version of the story, with all the great epic action from the best fantasy war films.

This could be like Lord of the Rings with Kung Fu. =D

One problem is that the trailer refers to the Air Nomads as a nation but oh well, it happens.

I think it's referring to the people, not a place. After all, what were they going to say? "All that remains of a once-powerful nomadic tribe"? "All that remains of a once-powerful group of people that weren't technically a 'nation,' but were still recognized as a fully separate political group"?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good trailers. If Mr Night Shaman could do this sort of action film all along why has he been making shitter and shitter films since 2000?

Just checked his imdb. Unbreakable 2? I really don't know how to feel about that, Unbreakable was one of the finest films of the last decade and quite possibly the best treatise on the role and responsibilities of the Superhero committed to film. A sequel seems somehow superfluous, but at the same time a film that embodies the very notions of comic book heroics seems like it could well have another instalment. The first one was the origin after all. I just hope it remains unconventional, it felt like the most ambitious Vertigo or Icon book originally. I don't want it to descend into too much of a comic style plot.

It looks good effects-wise, but I'm still well on the skeptical side of the fence. For one thing, Aang's aarow doesn't glow when he simply uses his airbending powers. It glows when he is in Avatar-mode. I guess I'm still wondering how the hell they are going to condense three seasons into two hours. I'd be happier if this was pre-planned to be a trilogy.

It looks good effects-wise, but I'm still well on the skeptical side of the fence. For one thing, Aang's aarow doesn't glow when he simply uses his airbending powers. It glows when he is in Avatar-mode. I guess I'm still wondering how the hell they are going to condense three seasons into two hours. I'd be happier if this was pre-planned to be a trilogy.

It is planned to be a trilogy. That's what they told the audience that saw it the other day.

For one thing, Aang's aarow doesn't glow when he simply uses his airbending powers. It glows when he is in Avatar-mode.

I thought that he was in the Avatar state there. But hey, if not, then it's probably just a slight alteration that they needed to make in order to make his airbending visible to the audience.

EDIT:

It's only glowing in that one shot, so that's probably the Avatar state.

And yeah, this was planned as a trilogy from the first day they announced it. If you notice, nothing in the trailer goes beyond the final battle at the Northern Water Tribe's fortress.

Oh, and Appa is visible in the upper-left-hand corner at 0:09. :D

This looks pretty good thus far. I like how Katara looks a year or two younger than she did in the cartoon; it helps a lot with the Aang/Katara relationship not being creepy.

YES!

EDIT:

Upon further viewing, it looks like the entire thing is lifted straight from the series. The environments look nearly identical to the ones in the show, right down to the way the Northern Water Tribe's fortress is carved out of the ice.

Sokka looks and sounds pretty perfect.

Katara looks younger (which really helps her relationship with Aang make more sense), but her voice sounds exactly like the animated version. It kinda gave me chills.

The only thing that I'm slight worried about is the bending; waterbending looks exactly like it should, but the firebending and airbending have a weird kind of lag; like there's not enough kinetic force behind it. It's more realistic, but also kind of less exciting.

• 2 months later...