Episode 08

RSS

Live and Let Die helps push FYEO past the three-hour mark for the first time, for many reasons: there's a new Bond in Roger Moore, there's a certain film called Quantum of Solace to cover and even a tertiary guest presenter in Andy "Pandy" Wilson, which makes for more discussion and an a cappella partner for Adham. Ian, meanwhile, gets ticked off about one particular character. [ 3:04:59 || 84.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/foryourear...arsonly_008.mp3

For someone who hates Andy Zaltzman, that above sentence.....

Pained as I am to say it, this episode was a LOT of fun to record. I wouldn't bank on my brother showing up much in the future (certainly if I have my way about the running of FYEO) but he's theoretically around when me & Adham record Episode #9 so you never know. Still, 3 hours is hopefully as long as it gets. I HATE the editing process and I've no idea how Mike manages 2/3 per week.

Before I jump into listening to the latest brilliant podcast from Ian & Adham (and this month, Andy), I thought I'd just give a quick shout to you guys and congratulate you on your sterling work thus far. I've been enjoying the show for the past three months now, as I get caught up in fond memories of Bond's long and lurid history on the silver screen. I'm sure I'll have more to add in the future (and likely once I finish hearing this week's show), but for now, I wanted to inquire about the Bond poster artwork featuring the hosts' names that I heard mentioned on one of the previous shows as being displayed somewhere here on Earth-2.net. I'd love to see them, so if any kind soul can point the way I'd be much obliged. Thanks, and as the `Live and Let Die` theme song says, keep givin' the other fella hell..

Before I jump into listening to the latest brilliant podcast from Ian & Adham (and this month, Andy), I thought I'd just give a quick shout to you guys and congratulate you on your sterling work thus far. I've been enjoying the show for the past three months now, as I get caught up in fond memories of Bond's long and lurid history on the silver screen. I'm sure I'll have more to add in the future (and likely once I finish hearing this week's show), but for now, I wanted to inquire about the Bond poster artwork featuring the hosts' names that I heard mentioned on one of the previous shows as being displayed somewhere here on Earth-2.net. I'd love to see them, so if any kind soul can point the way I'd be much obliged. Thanks, and as the `Live and Let Die` theme song says, keep givin' the other fella hell..

The artwork is on the mainpage, which is accessible via the forums by clicking the Earth-2.net box in the top left hand corner, or alternatively by typing in the site's full address.

EDIT: If you mean/meant previous banners, I don't think they get archived anywhere. Unless Mike still has them on his computer, I wouldn't know, I'm afraid.

Thanks for posting!!! Adham & I always love getting feedback.

I've at last sat down and listened to this latest show and I have to give highest marks to the hosts once again! :yes: Even at 3+ hours of length, I barely noticed the passage of time and was thoroughly entertained throughout (although having to listen to Adham and Andy's rendition of the theme song was....not as thoroughly entertaining as...well, anything else in the show (sorry, I'm struggling to be polite here ;) ) Let me just leave that subject on the following note: I truly appreciate your playing the full original recording of each theme song so that we may all have the benefit of judging its merits for ourselves, as well as providing demonstrable proof that even the worst of the themes has its virtues when compared to the vocal efforts of a certain podcast host... :whistle:

Moving on, I wanted to address various points of trivia that came up during the course of the show's discussions, basically because I'm a pathetic trivia geek, and particularly so when it comes to James Bond. Firstly, to answer those who were wondering just what song on the U.S. charts beat out "Live and Let Die" to the #1 spot (and I know all three of you were hanging desperately on the answer), as far as I've been able to determine, that song happened to be...wait for it... "My Love" by Paul McCartney & Wings, which was recorded during the same Red Rose Speedway sessions that "Live and Let Die" was (thought LALD was not included on that album). For added geekish measure, LALD reached #7 on the U.K. singles chart, where the #1 spot at the time was held by Wizzard's "See My Baby Jive" (don't ask me who they were; I'm just an uncouth American).

Next, I often wondered myself just why Desmond Llewellyn, and indeed the Q character, did not appear in this film (particular given just how frequent and popular his appearances had been in the series up to that point; one might have guessed that Q would be one character especially suited to smoothing the transition between Bond actors, especially at that point in the series' history). Mr. Andy Wilson was indeed correct that Mr. Llewellyn was filming a t.v. series (some kind of teen soap opera called "Follyfoot") at the time, though the producers of that series indeed wrote his character out for a period long enough to allow him to appear in LALD. By all accounts, which admittedly are sparse, the producers of LALD chose not to include Q, however, due to a desire (which would prove to be a recurring idea on their part every decade or so) to tone down the gadget aspect in favor of (arguably) more realistic action. Poor Desmond, according to one interview, was justifiably frustrated that his role had been cut after going to the effort of taking time out from the t.v. job for filming on LALD. Probably not the last time that would happen to an actor in a Bond film, as I'm sure future episodes will explore...

Now, because I seem to have forgotten further points for the moment, and since you're likely bored to tears already, I'll sign off for now, with the promise that I shall return with more useless trivia in future... :smilewinkgrin:

I just started listening and thought you'd be interested to know that in New Orleans funerals actually work like they do in this movie. They are designed to go from somber to happy really fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_funeral

Ah awesome, I didn't know this was an actual practice! Although I'm pretty sure the corpse in question was dead before the parade started! ;)

I've at last sat down and listened to this latest show and I have to give highest marks to the hosts once again! :yes: Even at 3+ hours of length, I barely noticed the passage of time and was thoroughly entertained throughout (although having to listen to Adham and Andy's rendition of the theme song was....not as thoroughly entertaining as...well, anything else in the show (sorry, I'm struggling to be polite here ;) ) Let me just leave that subject on the following note: I truly appreciate your playing the full original recording of each theme song so that we may all have the benefit of judging its merits for ourselves, as well as providing demonstrable proof that even the worst of the themes has its virtues when compared to the vocal efforts of a certain podcast host... :whistle:

First of all, there's no swear words in this post, which in internet terms means that this is a thoroughly polite post!

And the a cappella stuff isn't going to be a regular feature, it's just the mischievous influence of a brother and a mad friend teaming up. I'm sure as hell not getting Adham to sing TMWTGG when we next record!!

Moving on, I wanted to address various points of trivia that came up during the course of the show's discussions, basically because I'm a pathetic trivia geek, and particularly so when it comes to James Bond. Firstly, to answer those who were wondering just what song on the U.S. charts beat out "Live and Let Die" to the #1 spot (and I know all three of you were hanging desperately on the answer), as far as I've been able to determine, that song happened to be...wait for it... "My Love" by Paul McCartney & Wings, which was recorded during the same Red Rose Speedway sessions that "Live and Let Die" was (thought LALD was not included on that album). For added geekish measure, LALD reached #7 on the U.K. singles chart, where the #1 spot at the time was held by Wizzard's "See My Baby Jive" (don't ask me who they were; I'm just an uncouth American).

Heh, that's awesome that Wings were beaten to the top spot by themselves!!! And Wizzard are an awesome band who I wish I knew more about musically rather than what their wikipedia entry says. They're most famous over here for their festive hit "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday", which is my favourite xmas song by far. "See My Baby Jive" is a great song in its own right, although it sounds VERY similar to the aforementioned Christmas track. The frontman, Roy Wood, was an original member of Electronic Light Orchestra (or ELO), who had some classic 70s hits in their own right.

Next, I often wondered myself just why Desmond Llewellyn, and indeed the Q character, did not appear in this film (particular given just how frequent and popular his appearances had been in the series up to that point; one might have guessed that Q would be one character especially suited to smoothing the transition between Bond actors, especially at that point in the series' history). Mr. Andy Wilson was indeed correct that Mr. Llewellyn was filming a t.v. series (some kind of teen soap opera called "Follyfoot") at the time, though the producers of that series indeed wrote his character out for a period long enough to allow him to appear in LALD. By all accounts, which admittedly are sparse, the producers of LALD chose not to include Q, however, due to a desire (which would prove to be a recurring idea on their part every decade or so) to tone down the gadget aspect in favor of (arguably) more realistic action. Poor Desmond, according to one interview, was justifiably frustrated that his role had been cut after going to the effort of taking time out from the t.v. job for filming on LALD. Probably not the last time that would happen to an actor in a Bond film, as I'm sure future episodes will explore...

Now, because I seem to have forgotten further points for the moment, and since you're likely bored to tears already, I'll sign off for now, with the promise that I shall return with more useless trivia in future... :smilewinkgrin:

Bored?!? I practically salivate for feedback!! If you ever want such trivia read out on the show itself, send it off to the show's email address. Thanks for getting in contact!!

Bored?!? I practically salivate for feedback!! If you ever want such trivia read out on the show itself, send it off to the show's email address. Thanks for getting in contact!!

Indeed? Well, as it happens, I thought of one other quick piece of trivia that may be of interest, which is in regards to the point mentioned in the show about Roger Moore's quirk of smoking cigars in his Bond films. Apparently, his contract specified that he was to be provided an unlimited supply of hand-rolled Monte Cristo cigars, which during one production cost over three thousand pounds(!) Presumably, this cigar habit may well have simply been Moore's own contribution to his characterization of not only Bond, but probably Simon Templar as well, and his producers went along with it for various reasons of their own (although, aside from prominent examples in his first two Bond films, I really can't recall Moore smoking them or anything else onscreen in his subsequent Bonds).

In the case of Moore's Bond, however, the portrayal of the character as a cigar smoker was not only one of many marked (and, by some reports, deliberate on the part of the producers) contrasts from his predecessors in the role, but also a departure from Fleming's depiction of Bond (being the idiosyncratic connoisseur that he is) as hating cigars, seeing them as being `indicative of evil intent` as mentioned IIRC in the Moonraker novel (since Drax smoked them in that story). Personally, I don't care what Bond smokes either way, or indeed, whether he smokes at all, although many of what we commonly attribute as Bond's habits likely had their origins in the swinging `60s culture and its outlook on things like tobacco, promiscuity, and Cold War politics (which were only more pronounced in the Fleming novels of the '50s, which, for instance, had Bond smoking enough cigarettes to send him to hospital inside of a month). That being said, I have always liked the idea of Bond's rather peculiarly indulgent tastes (which, ostensibly, were there to show how someone in Bond's profession would need unusually strong diversion from the unique stresses of his work) allowing him to scorn one vice ( the occasional cigar) in favor of another, similarly decadent one (massive amounts of cigarettes).

Live and Let Die helps push FYEO past the three-hour mark for the first time, for many reasons: there's a new Bond in Roger Moore, there's a certain film called Quantum of Solace to cover and even a tertiary guest presenter in Andy "Pandy" Wilson, which makes for more discussion and an a cappella partner for Adham. Ian, meanwhile, gets ticked off about one particular character. [ 3:04:59 || 84.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/foryourear...arsonly_008.mp3

I quite liked Pandy being on. In many ways he's a lot more fun to listen to than Ian :laugh:. All goofy jabs aside, I liked the stereo whistles for the Shag alarm, and I can't look at a Bond film without thinking of Adham's whistle