Who are the Dark Avengers?

Missy

If you look at these two images, the team would seem to be Iron Patriot, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Ares and Marvel Boy. There's another image floating around that suggests Sentry is also on the team. However, this can't be the roster, because Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine and Hawkeye are all seen on the New and Mighty teams.

A coworker of mine has suggested that the Dark Avengers are actually the Osborn-led Thunderbolts in disguise, but with a few additions. With that mind, the team would be: Iron Patriot, Marvel Boy, Ares, Sentry, Daken (dressed in Wolverine's brown costume), Bullseye (dressed as Hawkeye), Songbird or Moonstone (as Ms. Marvel) and Mac Gargan or Eddie Brock (as Spider-Man). At eight members, that's a large cast, but I fully expect it to be trimmed down by the end of the first storyline.

For several reasons I love this idea. First, it calls back to the original idea behind the Thunderbolts, that being villains disguised as heroes. Second, it breathes new life into a lot of these characters. And third, the conflict it will create when the real heroes meet their Thunderbolt counterparts is exciting.

dark-reign09-t.jpg dark-reign22-t.jpg

-Daken is a lock.

-Just judging by the build on Black Spidey: It's Eddie, but a resurrected Ben Riley would be the most welcome surprise pretty much ever.

-I think Iron Patriot is actually Osbourne, as a giant fuck you to both Cap and Iron Man.

-Hawkeye is likely Bullseye, but could also be any number of Assassin type characters.

-I'll put big money on the Binary/Ms. Marvel costume lady being Moonstone, just based on her build.

-I really love the current take on Ares, but I don't think he fits the team dynamic.

-Sentry would only fit if he's totally unhinged.

• 6 months later...

Bendis does have a way of giving famous characters dialog that's never been in their character before, although in this instance I think it was far less noticeable than it has been in the past.

These are the kind of scenes that have made Osborn the most interesting character in the Marvel U lately.

God, I still love that last preview page! I wonder if Loki's slight smile is a sign that she's pulling a few strings. Also, I am not a fan of Mike Deodato, but the way Doom is drawn is brilliant. With the low angle, it reminds us that Doom, like Namor, is regal and fully backs what Namor is about to say.

Fuck, I'll even say the panel with The Hood is great, 'cause it too shows what he's all about. By pulling his gun like that, we see that he's still a thug who'll blast his way out of a bad situation. He acts on impulse.

Oh, don't you dare knock Namor, the Sub-Mariner! Marvel's Aquaman? HA! Aquaman wishes he had the badassery that Namor possess in a single hair. While Aquaman is off saving baby seals from poachers, Namor is busy poaching Susan Richards' clam.

Ahem. Anyway...

Yes, this is the first single issue in a long, long time that has me hyped. Will I buy it? You know, I just might. I don't get to the shop anymore, but I might have to make a trip for this one.

Oh, don't you dare knock Namor, the Sub-Mariner! Marvel's Aquaman? HA! Aquaman wishes he had the badassery that Namor possess in a single hair. While Aquaman is off saving baby seals from poachers, Namor is busy poaching Susan Richards' clam.

I'm thinking we have a pair of Posts of The Day today.