X-men 90's Animated Series

elnino14

Episode 35-36: Savage Land, Savage Heart parts 1-2

I think I'm having some order problems here as there's no real mourning of losing Jean. Not a huge fan of these episodes, it feels out of place, it's pretty Storm-centric as she gets a lot of screen time as her powers get out of control. Also it's got a ton of focus on this random old villain who is pretty lame and Sauron. I think the first half was more entertaining but the second half put me to sleep. There's a slew of running gags as Beast continuously saves people falling from the sky, Sauron continuously turns the X-men against each other, and also an appearance of the fast-ball special. It's not a total failure, there's some good scenes involving Rogue, Jubilee gets to strut her stuff and not be totally annoying, and Karl Lykos is not one dimension just boring, but the episode was not the follow-up it should have been. 6.5

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched some more of season 3 and they include some excellent episodes.

Obsession: This one focuses on Archangel's obsession with killing Apocalypse, it's a really great episode due to the characterisation of Archangel as his obsession not only draws sympathy but disgust. Rogue sympathizes with Archangel and helps him, while the other X-men try help Archangel but are not interested in feeding his rage. THere's also a little subplot with Beast and a sentient shit, which ties into the story because Archangel's obsession ultimatley ends up destroying the ship who has been trying to help them and made a connection with Beast. One of the best episodes of the series 9.5/10

Dark Phoenix Saga Parts 1-4: As much as I didn't like the Phoenix Saga, I really enjoy these episodes a ton. The first two episodes introduce the Hellfire club (or the Circle club, as they're called in the episode) and really they're not great villains but they ultimately serve the purpose of playing on Phoenix's rage. Phoenix not only feels emotions and feelings, it drives the darkness as she feels double-crossed by Scott (as Scott was in a friendship with Dazzler) and then used by the Hellfire Club. There's some pacing problems, ala the first two episodes are slow, as it's not about the Phoenix or X-men as much as it is about the Hellfire club. Ultimately it's a sufficient set up to an excellent second half where Phoenix goes DARK and wallops on everybody threatening to destroy universes, which brings the SHIAR who wish to kill Jean in order to stop Phoenix which puts them in conflict with the X-men because they want to stop Phoenix without destroying Jean. It's got lots of interesting character momments for everybody except maybe Gambit. It sparks discussion on the means to an end, the importance of one life, and it's the closest Cyclops and Jean ever came to being a fully fleshed out characters. It's an excellent pair of episodes and fitting for one of the most significant stories in Comic book history. 9

Cold Comfort: This is Iceman's one and only appearance in the show and it's a fun one althought they don't get Iceman as well as they have gotten other guest-stars. He's more bitter and less goofy, fun, and sophmoric. Also making a guest appearance is Peter David's 1990 X-factor team, again they're all missing the humor that made those stories so great. It's an interesting, if not eclectic episode, as in it doesn't juggle all the stories quite as well as it should. THere's Iceman's story here, and then theres a theme of mutants who want to live regular compared to mutants who want to change the world for the better, and then there's the government mutant team which doesn't really conclude sufficiently, just introduced, and then there's Jubilee wanting to take in more of the action, and then there's some theme about leadership here. It just doesn't come all together as well as it should, with only anything dealing with the Iceman story coming full-circle and to a significant conclusion and since that takes up most of the episode it's still a really fun episode nonetheles. 8.5/10

Episode 35-36: Savage Land, Savage Heart parts 1-2

I think I'm having some order problems here as there's no real mourning of losing Jean. Not a huge fan of these episodes, it feels out of place, it's pretty Storm-centric as she gets a lot of screen time as her powers get out of control. Also it's got a ton of focus on this random old villain who is pretty lame and Sauron. I think the first half was more entertaining but the second half put me to sleep. There's a slew of running gags as Beast continuously saves people falling from the sky, Sauron continuously turns the X-men against each other, and also an appearance of the fast-ball special. It's not a total failure, there's some good scenes involving Rogue, Jubilee gets to strut her stuff and not be totally annoying, and Karl Lykos is not one dimension just boring, but the episode was not the follow-up it should have been. 6.5

There are actually a few episodes that aired out of place. One of these, No Mutant is an Island, was the one where Scott quits and goes back to his hometown where The Purple Man is using mutant orphans for personal gain. The Professor detects Jean in the sun and returning to Earth at the end of the episode. The question is if the DVDs are going to have the episodes in order by Airdate, intended airdate, or production order.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Season 3 and started season 4.

There was a ton of really good episodes in Season 3, I've already talked about the Dark Phoenix Saga which I thoroughly enjoyed and a couple of one-shots involving Archangel and Ice Man, but the latter half of Season 3 is just as good.

That volume 3-4 box sets should be awesome as they'll include some more awesome one-shots with Nightcrawler, an excellent episode dealing with faith, and Morph, in an excellent episode dealing with facing your fears, along with the awesome two-parter Sanctuary that is quite possibly the best showcase for Magneto.

Also Beyond Good and Evil is an epic crossover of the whole X-universe. It feels like a huge event. Honestly, it gets some of the flaws of huge events as well and isn't the strongest episodes of the series but its still a lot of fun.

Also the Morlock Christmas episode is another stinker in what is an absolutely great series.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I'm testing my cut, copy, and paste on iPhone this info comes from:

X-Men DVD News

A week-and-a-half ago Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment announced the September 15th DVD releases of X-Men - Marvel Comic Book Collection Volume 3 and X-Men - Marvel Comic Book Collection Volume 4. This evening the studio has sent out the list of episodes that will be included on each of those 2-disc sets. The first two volumes each had 16 and 17 episodes, respectively. This time around the counts are a tad lower, with 15 and 14 episode collections for the upcoming sets:

X-Men - Marvel Comic Book Collection Volume 3

The X-Men are back for more nonstop thrills and excitement in Volume 3 of the definitive animated series. Faithfully created from the pages of the original Marvel® comic books, these classic stories are a must-have for any X-Men fan! When the all-powerful Dark Phoenix inhabits the body of Jean Grey, The X-Men go to battle in order to save one of their own. Get into the action with 15 spine-tingling episodes, including the 4-part "Dark Phoenix" saga, in this collectible 2-disc set!

Disc 1:

Savage Land, Strange Heart (Part 1)

Savage Land, Strange Heart (Part 2)

Obsession

The Dark Phoenix (Part 1)

The Dark Phoenix (Part 2)

The Dark Phoenix (Part 3)

The Dark Phoenix (Part 4)

Disc 2:

Cold Comfort

Orphan's End

The Juggernaut Returns

Nightcrawler

Weapon X, Lies, and Video Tape

One Man's Worth (Part 1)

One Man's Worth (Part 2)

Courage

X-Men - Marvel Comic Book Collection Volume 4

The action reaches all-new heights in Volume 4 of the landmark X-Men animated series. With adventures adapted directly from the original Marvel® comic books, this collection is a rich piece of the X-Men legacy and a must-have for every X-Men fan. The X-Men must join forces with the heroes of the future when Apocalypse, a mighty mutant, is driven completely mad by his powers! Discover the stunning conclusion to the 4-part epic "Beyond Good And Evil" in this sensational 14-episode set.

Disc 1:

Proteus (Part 1)

Proteus (Part 2)

Sanctuary (Part 1)

Sanctuary (Part 2)

Beyond Good And Evil (Part 1)

Beyond Good And Evil (Part 2)

Beyond Good And Evil (Part 3)

Beyond Good And Evil (Part 4)

Disc 2:

Have Yourself a Morlock Little X-Mas

The Lotus and the Steel

Love in Vain

Secrets, Not Long Buried

Xavier Remembers

Family Ties

• 3 weeks later...

So I've officially finished the series all 5 seasons, all 76 episodes and honestly, while it was a very enjoyable nostalgic trip and many of the early episodes have some great storytelling. It really dropped off in season 4 and 5. After the epic Beyond Good and Evil 4-parter that was fun comic goodness, the quality of the storytelling takes a huge drop. While there are some shining lights such as Deal with the Devil (the return of Omega Red), Bloodlines (dealing with Mystique's complicated family history), Descent (a Mr. Sinister Origin story), and Graduation Day (the final episode), the rest is pretty terrible and many episodes are just an absolute chore to get through because of how boring they are. They definitely ran out of ideas as they started reusing themes that were successful before, but the rehashes are hardly comparable to the original, and the quality is often sub-par. The spotlight with Wolverine sees him going back to Japan but we've already seen his Japan history, and it's very dejavu of the superior Alaska episode, Rogue's boyfriend returns, but it's just crappy. A two-parter focusing on Storm...the most boring character in the series.

I may be just a bit harsh, as many of the episodes are decidedly average, the problem is that the average episodes are just too frequent and the awesomeness is just too far apart.

Can't reccommend the final episode enough though, Xavier's speech just really wraps up the series quite well, hitting on all the main characters and the story in the final episode really gets back to the heart of the series. If you haven't checked it yet, there's some great stuff in this series, especially the first 3 seasons, after Beyond Good and Evil though, there's a tremendous drop in quality.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I can't wait until they release a 5th Volume on DVD hell I originally thought that Beyond Good and Evil 4 parter was THE END of the show. I just realized something... in 2012 this show will be 20 years old! holy crap! I am so geting the Volume 3 and 4 sets I wish disney would get off their ass and release Spidey 94 and Iron Man like these X sets!

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

Don't forget to pick up volumes 3 and 4 on tuesday... I know I will... this'll be the first time in a long time that I've seen the Dark Phoenix Saga. Let's hope the fixed the DVD issues with these sets.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I now have Volumes 3-4 woohoo... Will give more thoughts as far as quality versus volumes 1-2 in a bit. I will say one thing for the volumes 3-4 sets they come with outer packaging like the 2-disc editions of most DVD's. I don't think this was the case with volumes 1-2 but I could be wrong.

While watching Disc 1 of Volume 3 at the end of each ep there's about a 4-6 second delay where you see a black screen then the next episode begins. This was significantly longer on the Volume 1 and 2 DVD Sets ... least it's gotten better. Or maybe I have bad copies. I'm not complaining really, hell I'm glad the show is on DVD at all.

Edited by DCAUFan1051

Guest DCAUFan1051

OK I'm on Beyond Good and Evil Part 3 of the Volume 4 set.... so far the DVD's still have the issue of after selecting play all it only plays three eps and then kicks me back to the main menu. This is a pain in the ass! Other then that no major issues with playback. Only 1 more DVD set to go and X-Men 1992 will be fully on DVD

Guest DCAUFan1051

In doing research for the episode of ToonCast on this show I found out that I was right when I thought Magneto had 2 voice actors.

On the imdb cast list it lists David Hemblen as Magneto then it lists George Merner as Erik Magnus Lehnsherr... technically they are the same person. So when I thought his voice was off in the Beyond Good and Evil Episode it was someone different then in earlier episodes.

The Volume 3 and 4 DVD sets suffer the same issues I had with 1 and 2. But I can look past it because at least they are on DVD.

Can anyone simply explain to me the whole obsession that Mr. Sinister has with Scott and Jean? I rememver something about him thinking that they were the best subjects to make suiper mutants. However I'm not sure if that's right.

Also can someone explain the whole Scott & Jean are Cable's parents from the cartoon? I don't think that was ever given closure or mentioned in the show was it?

Can anyone simply explain to me the whole obsession that Mr. Sinister has with Scott and Jean? I rememver something about him thinking that they were the best subjects to make suiper mutants. However I'm not sure if that's right.

Sinister is completely obsessed with the Summers bloodline. In the comics, he was actually at the orphanage where Scott lived before Xavier found him.

Also can someone explain the whole Scott & Jean are Cable's parents from the cartoon? I don't think that was ever given closure or mentioned in the show was it?

I'm drawing from comics lore here, but Cable is basically the son of Jean and Scott, who time-traveled from the future. It's very complicated.

Guest DCAUFan1051

ahh thanks guys I think that's one thing I wish the cartoon would have flushed out more.

I was also right in thinking at first about Beyond Good and Evil being the end of the show. It was meant to be according to the creators, but Fox asked for more episodes. Kinda like the end of JL Season 2.

Did the show change format every 2 seasons?

No.

Well, almost.

The first two seasons of JL were made up almost entirely of two-part hour-long episodes. In Season 2, they actually aired the episodes as single hour-long episodes, which was really cool.

After that, however, they changed the format to a much more action-oriented short-form format (and changed the name to Justice League: Unlimited), with normal 22-minute episodes and only a few two-parters. I think it may have been due to Cartoon Network's suggestion, but I'm not sure about that.

The show was predicted to end at Season 4 (JLU season 2), so they made "Epilogue," an episode that was--surprise!--an epilogue for the series. Right after that, however, they were renewed for one more season, which was a semi-WTF moment.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Kinda like the end of JL Season 2.

Actually, it would be the end of JLU season 2, with Epilogue. JL wasn't meant to end at Season 2; it just went through a format change.

yes but Timm has said they blew everything up with Starcrossed because they thought that was it so technically my statement is right lol

• 2 months later...