Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

As the title suggest, this thread is to discuss every comic book, trade paperback and graphic novel you've read in 2009. Not only should you list the comics, but try to give short thoughts about each.

Also, at the end of each post in this thread, keep a running list of all the books, along with a count.

I'll start.

Ultimate Spider-Man, volume 1: Power and Responsibility

In terms of both the writing and art, this isn't as good as I remembered. It's quite clear that Bendis and Bagley were still feeling their way around the characters, as everyone seems stiff; Kong and Flash are clichéd assholes, Peter yells at his aunt and uncle for no reason before running away all the time, Mary Jane doesn't really do anything, Norman's nothing more than a bad father and an evil businessman, as the Goblin he wants revenge on Parker for an untold reason and Harry is the forgotten son. Worse yet, Bagley's art lacks charm, and is downright amateurish in places -- especially his depth and body language. Whenever Peter ran away from May and Ben, it looked ugly and overly melodramatic.

Despite all of the bad, there is some good here. For one, this volume laid the groundwork for the entire Ultimate Universe, Bendis wrote Uncle Ben as a real character, it stays true to the Spider-Man mythos without being a slave to it, Peter actually looks young and Spider-Man is written very well.

By no means is it a bad book, but it could have been so much better. Had this not been Bill Jemas' pet project, I'm not sure Ultimate Spider-Man would have been more than a miniseries.

Out of 10: 4

Ultimate Spider-Man, volume 2: Learning Curve

What an improvement! Bagley is still finding his way, but he's almost there. Bendis is also much more comfortable; he clearly knows these characters and world by this point.

While the Kingpin storyline was interesting, in that it showed Peter using his brain over his brawn, and it was cool seeing Peter working for the Bugle, the real treat here is the final issue in the volume: #13. That's the first one where Bendis really took a chance. Without saying too much, he broke a tired superhero cliché, and spent an entire issue focusing on character growth. No tights or webs, just talking.

In this volume you also get a real sense of May. She's not the old lady telling Peter to put a sweater on; here she's a funny, hurt woman trying her best to raise her nephew. For the sake of building up Ben, May was mostly a background character in Power and Responsibility. But here she's really come into her own.

Maybe I'm over-grading it because of how disappointing the first volume was, but this is excellent work.

Out of 10: 8

Total

Comic books: 0

Trade paperbacks: 2

Graphic novels: 0

Ultimate Spider-Man, volume 1: Power and Responsibility, Ultimate Spider-Man, volume 2: Learning Curve

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of already doing this in the general comics discussion thread but I'll switch it over to here in future.

Incredible Hercules 124- Sweet art (especially the women), high adventure, myths made modern and some cracking humor. I had dropped this book but this arc brought it right back to me. I'm glad Cho became a little less impotent by the end as well, the setup for next issue is pretty cool.

Incognito 1- Brubaker & Phillips deliberately going back to the noir adult superheroes theme of their astonishing original collaboration Sleeper. Made for me.

Green Lantern Corps 31- Pretty chaotic issue but solid enough. The main villain they've been building is really weird and all the plot threads they are throwing into here instead of the main book makes it more of a subplot book for future events than a strong title in its own right. Still, there's lots of info here for GL fans.

Green Lantern 36- Its Johns writing Sinestro and Atrocitus as well as Hal Jordan and the Blue Lanterns. Its got vital dynamic art and plot developments galore. If you're reading GL you're a happy customer.

Captain America 45- Largely business as usual. Bucky might be building his own rogues gallery with this new story but this is standard Cap under Brubaker.

Wolverine 70- Old Man Logan provides some exposition that will lend a lot of emotional weight to the conclusion. The teaser for next issue is batshit insane but this arc is looking up again.

JSA 22- The finale of the Gog storyline. The JSA united, plus more glimpses of Kingdom Come that beautifully recapture and add to the original work. Buy this book.

Northlanders 13- A lot of good panel to panel event following, its building aspects of the overall story but I'm guessing the next issue will pack a lot more punch.

Total

Comic Books: 8

TPBs: 0

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Well, I guess I should start my list:

Countdown to final crisis volumes three and four.

I picked them up and once you get passed the fact that it's terrible and you've force yourself to enjoy it, it's not that bad.

Batman: cacophony part 2: except for onomatopeia, this was totally forgettable. It's readable one time and then you just don't feel the need to look at it again.

Batman VS Two Face: I started this earlier tonight, it's a collection of the "best" two face storys. It's nice to see the origins of the character, it's readable, but if your in borders, and it's not in a deal, just give it a flip through in the shop.

Cause I don't read as many varied comics as everyone else, expect my posts to be basically batman and punisher related.

Batman #684 (W: Dennis O'Neil, A: Guillem March) - Part 2 of "Last Days of Gotham". I wish I could say this was Denny's triumphant return to Batman, but I can't; this issue was very underwhelming. If you're like me, when you hear "Last Days of Gotham" you expect a story where everything in Gotham is anarchy with Batman absent. Instead, you get

a narrator woman who is one with Gotham City, the world's worst Two-Face impersonator, and a Nightwing who apparently has forgotten everything he's learned in his crime fighting career

. Oh, and due to an abscence of lettering, Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon are psychic. Speaking of Gordon, his moments are the ones that stand out in this story. The art is decent, but nothing spectacular. 6/10.

Guardians of The Galaxy #8 (W: Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, A: Brad Walker) - With the direction of the current Marvel universe, all I really care about are Marvel's cosmic books. The new new Guardians end a universal threat (for now), Starlord's in deep trouble in the Negative Zone, and Adam Warlock beats up an alien Cardinal. Artwork is solid as usual. This issue was a bit of a set up issue, but with War of Kings around the corner, it's more like the calm before the storm. 7/10

Incognito #1 (W: Ed Brubaker, A: Sean Philips) - I picked this up after being blown away by the first volume of Criminal by the same creative team. While I wasn't blown away by this issue, it was still an excellent book. Brubaker writes great crime and Philips' art (along with Val Staples' colors) is top notch. I also dig the aspect of it being from the point of view of a super-villain in a MR rated book. There are a lot of unanswered questions concerning the main character and the universe that I look forward to finding out the answers to. 8/10

Kick-Ass #5 (W: Mark Millar, A: John Romita Jr.) - More non-superpowered super-heroics if capes took to the streets in the real world. Well...not really in the real world, as there's still suspension of disbelief, but it's as close as you're going to get. It's not Watchmen, but it is a lot of fun in an over the top, R rated juvenile humor kind of way. JR JR art is great. 7/10

Vimanarama TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Philip Bond, Collects Vimanarama #1-3) - More trippy Morrison than acid trippy Morrison. It slants more towards a comedy, with some jokes hitting and some not. Artwork was cartoony, colorful, and fit the story to a T. An interesting read that was quite different from the comics I'm used to reading, but not one that is particularly memorable. 6/10

Total

Comic Books: 4

TPBs: 1

Batman #684, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Kick-Ass #5, Vimanarama TPB

Greatest Hits #4 - Decent run that's actually taken a novel concept and took it in some good directions.

Gravel #6 - One more issue to go!

Crossed #2 - Desrick's favorite series continues. To be fair, this was pretty much a nothing issue.

Epilogue #3 - Goretastic.

City of Dust #3 - Okay, now this is getting weird.

Moon Knight #25 - This stupid freaking story is over and we can finally get a new artist now.

Incognito #1 - Not normally my thing, it was interesting enough. Might continue this one, I'm not sure.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo #3 - This is the best adaptation of the Street Fighter story I've ever seen. Just a great, fun series.

And my two IIWY books.

Total

Comic Books: 10

Batman #684 (W: Dennis O'Neil, A: Guillem March) - Part 2 of "Last Days of Gotham". I wish I could say this was Denny's triumphant return to Batman, but I can't; this issue was very underwhelming. If you're like me, when you hear "Last Days of Gotham" you expect a story where everything in Gotham is anarchy with Batman absent. Instead, you get

a narrator woman who is one with Gotham City, the world's worst Two-Face impersonator, and a Nightwing who apparently has forgotten everything he's learned in his crime fighting career

. Oh, and due to an abscence of lettering, Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon are psychic. Speaking of Gordon, his moments are the ones that stand out in this story. The art is decent, but nothing spectacular. 6/10.

I skimmed this while waiting for detective to come in the post, the art bothered me and the issue seemed to be, blah.

Really looked forward to this, I think after febuary, I may just switch to trades after birds of prey, robin and nightwing end as batman and detctive don't really do much for me anymore, and I really just pick them up as a second to a figure for the collection and not the other way.

Still reading and really enjoying batman vs two face.

Finished the golden age storys and they were really fun to read. I'm reading a Denny O'Neil story now in it. So far, I'm not too into it, I preferred the golden age stuff.

I finished Batman VS Two Face today.

It was good, the first half with Two Faces first four appearances was really good, it was a nice history lesson and the storys are really good.

The modern masterpieces were welll, disappointing.

I would give the entire thing a 6 out of 10, read it in the shop of you can.

After that I looked at issue one of final crisis and it was ok, I thought i would not get what was going on, but I got lot more than I was expecting.

I loved the Scottish Mirror master.

Doctor Who Classics #1 - The pacing takes some getting used to, but I liked it enough by the end. My local comic shop guy gave me this and the second issue for free, so I can't really complain.

Total

Comic Books: 11

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, IIWY Book 1, IIWY Book 2 (I don't know if it's cool to say what these are before the actual article goes up or not), Doctor Who Classics #1

I read Denny O'neils issues of Batman and detctive today and they were really bad.

I'm just quoting Koete as he put it a lot better than I ever could.

Batman #684 (W: Dennis O'Neil, A: Guillem March) - Part 2 of "Last Days of Gotham". I wish I could say this was Denny's triumphant return to Batman, but I can't; this issue was very underwhelming. If you're like me, when you hear "Last Days of Gotham" you expect a story where everything in Gotham is anarchy with Batman absent. Instead, you get a narrator woman who is one with Gotham City, the world's worst Two-Face impersonator, and a Nightwing who apparently has forgotten everything he's learned in his crime fighting career. Oh, and due to an abscence of lettering, Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon are psychic. Speaking of Gordon, his moments are the ones that stand out in this story. The art is decent, but nothing spectacular. 6/10.

Might as well put a tally list:

Total

Comic Books: 4

TPBs: 1

My first comic of 2009:

Green Lantern #36

Holy shit! Green Lantern is the best superhero book on the market period. Rage of the Red Lanterns just started and this issue showed me two things: 1) Johns could write Sinestro and Atrocitus talking for 442 pages and I would be first in line and 2) Ivan Reis can draw Star Sapphires til his hands go clawed and it still wouldn't be enough.

If you don't think GL is a good book you are just plain wrong. Stop reading comics and go kill yourself.

Out of 10: 9

Total

Comic books: 1

Trade paperbacks: 0

Green Lantern #36

Invisibles Volume 1: Say You Want a Revolution - I love Grant Morrison when he's on, and the first story arc here is some solid stuff, even if it's begun to show its age. I went in without any idea what to expect or what to think, and enjoyed where it took me. The adventures of a juvenile delinquent with a mad homeless guy on drugs in another reality is something you can only find in Vertigo. The second arc lost me a bit, mostly because I'm not all that crazy about comics that involve real historical figures and spend too much time wallowing in prose, both of which are featured in a major way here. While I'd thought I was close to understanding the big picture after the first arc, the second threw me for a loop and left me questioning whether I'm really interested in continuing the series. Also, I felt that Jill Thompson's artwork was a horrible mismatch. She was terrific on Sandman and has gone on to a fine career, but the light nature of her work didn't provide a good partner for Morrison's dark-hinted, deviant-themed storytelling.

6/10

Kingdom Come: Book One - I was inspired to go back and reread the entire series after reviewing an episode of The Kingdom for IIWY. Still a very good read, although not quite as good as I'd remembered it. Alex Ross's artwork benefits from a foggy memory, and doesn't stand up as well as I'd thought, although it's great anyway. Still, the issue delivers when it wants to with huge reveals and emotional turns. Superman's big moment at the end of the issue is a fine cliffhanger, and the incident in Kansas was treated extraordinarily well. Plus, I know the best moments are yet to come. I received a whole armload of TPBs for Christmas, though, so I'll have to leave issues 2, 3 and 4 on the backburner for the time being.

8/10

Also, three IIWY? contributions this week.

Comics: 4, TPB: 1

Daredevil: Cruel and Unusual

Collecting five issues of Daredevil (#106-110), this volume has a standalone story focusing on Matt's friends as they worry about his state of mind, as well as the four-part storyline about Matt and Dakota's journey to free an innocent man.

The first story is interesting in that it's narrated by three members of Daredevil's supporting cast; Ben Urich, Dakota North and Foggy Nelson are all given a good amount of characterization and depth, yet the book never forgets it's about Daredevil / Matt Murdock. Their sadness for Matt and Milla comes through strongly, but in their own unique ways. Ben's frustration has turned him into a J. Jonah Jameson-like editor, Foggy is lost and Dakota is trying to be the no-nonsense / straight-talking pal. It isn't often a series will take a breath to tell things from the vantage points of non-title characters, and it's less often that those issues are successful, but this one is.

It's a shame, though, that the art isn't as strong. Paul Azaceta follows the Alex Maleev / Michael Lark, noir-influenced, gritty look at Daredevil's world. In that regard, it's successful. But it's his use of thick lines on characters' faces that brings everything down. No matter if we're seeing a close-up or the characters from afar, their faces are muddy and sometimes appear to be rough, unfinished sketches. If it weren't for that, Azaceta's art would be perfect for this kind of book, because he knows how to use lighting and body language to his advantage.

The bulk of the book sees the spotlight returned to Matt, who's still in a funk over Milla's condition. And though I'm a bit behind on my Daredevil reading (RE: I never finished the preceding storyline), Matt's pain and need to lash out were easy to understand thanks to wonderfully scripted dialog. (As an aside, it must be said that other comic book writers should take a long, hard look at Brubaker's ability to craft a scene, move characters forward and explain Matt's heightened senses without resorting to exposition.)

That said, what wasn't totally easy to follow was the plot. Luke Cage asks Dakota to investigate a closed / confessed-to case, because, though Ben Donovan isn't a good guy, he would never decapitate three kids, says Luke. Oh, and they're on a six-day timetable, because Donovan will fry at the end of the week. (Okay, good so far.) The "killer" continues to confess his guilt, which Dakota believes -- until she's roughed up later that day and told to keep her nose out of the case. (Still good here.) Upon seeing (pardon the word choice) his friend with a fat lip and bloody nose, Matt picks himself up by the ol' bootstraps and has a chat with Ben. Shortly thereafter Matt & Co. discover that the FBI and CIA are somehow involved in this -- as is Dakota's father. (The plot seems to be getting a bit crowded, but we'll roll with it.) A supposedly former mobster has something to do with the conspiracy, too. (Hmm.) The truth is discovered (which is underwhelming and comes out of nowhere), the real killer is revealed (a barely there background character who appears in no more than 11 panels throughout the storyline), Donovan finally talks (the way they get him to do so felt cheap), everything wraps up quickly and Matt smiles (never mind that a close friend has been shot).

Unless this storyline was written to bring the government back into Matt's life, I don't get the point of having the FBI and CIA frame an innocent man to protect a mobster. There was too much going on in these four issues. Honestly, it could have used another issue or two, if only so the ending wasn't rushed and to lessen the "Huh?" factor regarding the feds. It's too bad that such splendid and precise characterization was wasted in a muddled story. Had the writers (Greg Rucka co-wrote this one) not involved the government, this would have been a sharp story about a man who was scared into accepting the death penalty. But as it is, that part of the story was forgotten about for the sake of painting a black mark on The System.

Michael Lark's art is, as always, amazing. From the dark mood of the story to the agony Matt feels, it's all there in his lines. Had it not been for him, I would regret this purchase, but he's worth the price of admission alone.

Ultimatum #2

Iron Man brings a passed out Captain America to the Triskelion for medical attention. How does he get into the building? By flying through (what's sure to be a very tough) pane of glass -- while holding Cap's limp body.

Carol Danvers sees Iron Man holding the (possibly dead) body of Captain America, yet she has time to deliver exposition. She only shows concerns once Iron Man tells her that Cap isn't breathing. What did she think was going on, that Tony was carrying Cap over the threshold for some honeymoon sex?

The doctors were able to rip Cap's chain mail shirt open.

Hawkeye: "How do you think I hit the bullseyes? Practice? My vision's been enhanced!" Um... no. Practice and hand-eye coordination is how it's done, not really good vision.

The Thing threatens an unconscious Sue Storm.

When Thor finds his lover's body, his face looks melted.

Hawkeye laments the loss of his guns, yet he doesn't need them. It's not like he's fighting looters or escaped criminals; he's searching for Wasp. How would having a gun help him find Janet?

What was done to Janet was way beyond excessive. Hell, it's offensive.

If Magneto

broke Xavier's neck

, why is their blood on the floor?

This is a piece of crap.

Robin #181

Being honest, I don't read Robin every month. I buy it every month, but I tend to read the series only once I have long runs to consume. So having only recently read Violent Tendencies (#170-174, Robin / Spoiler Special) and #179, I'm not totally up on the series, but here are the things I do know: Spoiler is alive and Robin is pissed at her, two dirty cops having been arrested, a police strike and gang war are taking place, someone called Red Robin is lurking in the shadows, Anarky is blowing stuff up, Batman is missing and Robin is having a lot of trouble dealing with everything.

Now here's what I don't know: why. Because nothing is explained, I don't know why any of this is happening. I think the police are on strike because the two cops were arrested, but wouldn't other police officers want dirty cops off the force? And if the cops are on strike, is that why the gangs are warring? Maybe, I guess, but I don't know for sure. When it comes to the rest, I really can't figure it out. Spoiler claims she's doing what Batman asked of her, which is "to make Tim better," but never does she state what she did that upset Robin. Anarky seems to have a plan, but what good does blowing up a pizza joint do? Also, why is Gambit here asking hookers about the two dirty cops?

This is the fifth issue of a six-part story, so I understand that we're making a full sprint towards the finish line, leaving little time for handholding, but give us something to understand the players and their agendas! Even Robin's actions are foreign; since when does he sit in the cave planning how to manipulate people and situations? Two issues ago he wasn't doing this, and a quick glance at last issue doesn't show any of this clandestine planning, so where did this come from? Don't get me wrong, I get that they're teasing us into thinking he might become the next Batman, but I really don't understand how we got here.

Much like Daredevil: Cruel and Unusual, Robin #181 suffers from too much going on. With fewer players on the scene, Nicieza could have focused on what's important: Robin, Anarky and the void Batman's left. The police strike and gang war, Spoiler's involvement, Gamibt and the hookers, Tim's machinations, all of it could have been shaved to streamline the story.

Also like Daredevil: Cruel and Unusual, the only thing saving this one is the artwork. I've been on the "Freddie Williams II is awesome" bandwagon since before there was a "Freddie Williams II is awesome" bandwagon. Everything he touches is gold. For having a cartoony, colorful style, he really knows how to render a dark world and story. His characters live and breathe and move; they're not static images stuck in tiny panels on a page bound between two covers. I'm not sure what he'll be working on post-Robin, but it really should be a team book, something like JSA. Though his style is generally youthful, he's also great at portraying older characters. Here, Alfred, Gordon and the two dirty cops look their age, but not frail or incapable of kicking your ass. In my opinion, JSA needs that. It needs a vibrant flavor that will respect the young and old characters alike. It also needs fluid motion, which it currently doesn't have.

Fantasy editing and Freddie Williams II gushing aside, this issue of Robin might look pretty, but it's a true disappointment.

Total

Comic books: 2

Trade paperbacks: 3

Ultimate Spider-Man, volume 1: Power and Responsibility, Ultimate Spider-Man, volume 2: Learning Curve, Daredevil: Cruel and Unusual, Ultimatum #2, Robin #181

I am so glad that someone who is a big Robin fan is also finding it hard to work out what is going on in Robin at the moment, as I'm just picking up the issues of this till the end now.

I mean I'm enjoying it, but am a little lost myself.

I mean

Jason Todd is in the Red Robin issue then never appears again.

which is just making me wonder what the hell is going on. But yeah, your right, by the looks of things there teasing Robin to become Batman, but after the last issue I think they are

Robin to become Red Robin and Damian to become Robin. I think they are going for Jason Todds Red Robin in countdown who is just Batman in a red costume.

I'm just sitting down to read final crisis issues 2-5 now.

Hawkeye laments the loss of his guns, yet he doesn't need them. It's not like he's fighting looters or escaped criminals; he's searching for Wasp. How would having a gun help him find Janet?

Well, I refuse to defend this book because god knows it's a gigantic chunky turd, but I read that as Hawkeye wishing he had a gun so he could take care of the Blob.

Read final crisis issues 1-5.

I enjoyed them.

Mary Marvel looks a lot different than she did in Countdown. By that I mean, i thought that the look of her in that was her normal style of costume, but this one was totally different.

I know I missed lots of things other people would notice, but I mostly enjoyed them anyway.

Well, I refuse to defend this book because god knows it's a gigantic chunky turd, but I read that as Hawkeye wishing he had a gun so he could take care of the Blob.

But he said it before he saw the Blob.

Final Crisis Secret Files

This book didn't piss me off but it was the first tie-in to FC that felt unnecessary. I suppose others would want the backstory to Libra but I was hoping he was someone actually interesting instead of

just the same character who appeared in the 60s

Morrison's name on the cover is also misleading as I was hoping for a backup story by him but instead there is a page out of the crime bible by Rucka that is entirely throwaway and a page on the Anti-Life Equation by Morrison that, for me, was the only interesting thing about the book. Morrison calls the A-L Equation the "E=Mc2 of despair." Love it!

Out of 10: 5 (for the Morrison and the blandness of everything else)

Total

Comic books: 2

Trade paperbacks: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files