Every comic you've read in 2009

The Master

About a week late with this, but the hell with it, I haven't had time to read things that much.

Ultimate Spider-Man 133: Picked this up on drq's rec, I believe. Having not read anything that went before it, I was a bit lost, but, overall, it wasn't that bad. I liked the dialoguelessness, simply relying on the pictures instead of exposition to tell the story. And the last few pages are absolutely heartbreaking.

Deadpool #11: A good, fun issue; the results of Deadpool having an arrow in his head and coming back from the dead include getting saved by haiku and a slightly spazzy brain, along with some good old hallucinations and a lot of the humor that's been missing in the last months.

Last of these until I go back in September, and then it will be massive catchup times.

Comic Books: 53

TPBs: 19

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been ploughing through each ongoing Authority series. I loved v1, was quite, quite bored by v2, and I've really got into Abnett & Lanning's v3. I'd already found myself as a fan of those two writers thanks to the big Marvel space events, and Authority v3 showcases similar but darker writing, especially as regarding to the character's personalities. Now I'm keen to read earlier Wildstorm stuff, particularly Stormwatch.

District X vol. 1: This was kind of like a Gotham Central for the Marvel Mutants (X) universe. There's only one X-man in this series and it's Bishop and he works quite well as he plays a detective of Mutant Town along with a beat cop, who is actually not that likable. It's like The Wire where everybody on both sides of the law has good and bad in them, everybody tip-toes on the shades of grey. It portrays some of the scarier mutants and the scary goings-ons of mutant town and the ugly underbelly of mutants, and mainly their destruction in their separitist neighborhood. The second half of the book goes into more superheroic cliche affairs, but overall it's written very well and it's rather good under-the-radar book. I'll definitely be picking up vol. 2 of this shortlived series. 8/10

Walking Dead vol. 1-3: I heard a shit load of hype for this series from not only this forum but across the internet. This series didn't live up to the hype, at least not for me. It's good, but not great as I was expecting it to be. It's possible that it may be affected by my just watching Jericho Season 1 and 2 rather recently (less than a year ago) and it harbors a similar concept and theme, and actually takes place in a similar setting and I just finished reading Y: the Last Man which is just an excellent comic book that lived up to all the hype. The concept is a good one and it seems that the book gets better as it move on with the characters in the book becoming the real monsters of the story and not the zombies. The dialogue was and continues to be an issue for me, Kirkman tends to write the characters giving long speeches, also the book's flow is rather awkward as sometimes it shows us things happening in one day, and sometimes it jumps weeks from panel to panel. These only occur in transition to big arcs or plot points. I was also getting really upset with the plot at one point in the Prison storyline as it seems like it was going to be a repeat of the previous storyline. Kirkman relieves my fears quite well. The characters are fine, but really it's all hard to connect to for me. Kirkman does do a ton of great things with this series, making great observations on survival, society, morals, and the evolution of family structure and authority. Also Kirkman isn't afraid of killing off characters, I never know who is going to survive through the page. It's great and it would be great to have some Vegas odds on who survives the next conflict. The art bothered me at first, I still can't tell some of women apart, and its really hindering my enjoyment of the book, also there are too many characters that I can never keep straight (Hershel certainly was busy with his wife) but I've gotten over the black and white, and actually approve of that decision, it adds to the horrifying and bleak nature of the book. It's a good book, a very solid series but it hasn't reached great status for me yet and I doubt it ever will. 8/10

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 48

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-3

Batman and Robin #1 - A bit of a slow start for the new series, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not every story needs to be an unstoppable destruction derby from start to finish. I did find it a bit strange that either the entire issue took place during an overcast afternoon or Frank Quitely doesn't have a thing for long shadows and dark backgrounds. Batman and Robin are so consistently associated with the night that it seems off to catch them going about their business against a well-lit skyline. I liked the rapport between Dick and Damian, with neither side of the new partnership fully trusting the other, and the give and take certainly put a new spin on an old, traditional relationship. I'm not at all sold on the villains yet - they seem skewed and twisted just for the fun of it - but again I suppose that's intended to put a fresh stamp on this classic pair of characters. Did Wayne Tower always have pointy Batman ears on the roof? Isn't that a bit obvious? I found this to be acceptable, not blow-me-away good like the pair's run on All-Star Superman but also not a complete let-down. I'll give it time to fully develop before I dive into any harsher criticisms.

7/10

The Walking Dead #62 - After what happened to the group last month, it's understandable to burn an issue on reactions and recoveries, both emotional and physical. Of course, it wouldn't be Walking Dead without a random appearance by a stumbling, mumbling gang of zombies, but that's over and done with in a few pages and then it's back to the mourning. Not sure where Kirkman is going with the upcoming "Trackers" storyline, but he's certainly foreshadowed the hell out of it so clearly there's something important about to go down. I keep wishing he'd just get on with it, reaching the end of the issue and deciding that surely next month is the moment the cat gets out of the bag. But then it doesn't, and the process just repeats itself. At least this month the shadowy men lurking in the background have taken some sort of action, so it seems that they're finally ready to make their move. That is, until next issue rolls around and it's more of the same. Still, these are minor complaints and even during a slow month this remains a tip-top series.

8/10

Last of the Independents - I'd bought this when it was first released, having been a somewhat regular reader of Matt Fraction's blog at the time, and haven't picked it up again since. I can remember finishing it the first time through in a single sitting, and fortunately enough it's handled the years very nicely. The story is simple enough - an aging low-level mastermind and two buddies aim to hit it big by clearing out a small-town bank, only to find the unexpected: three enormous bags of mafia property sitting in the vault when they arrive. The rest of the developments spiral outward from there. It's a simple heist tale with a trio of complex, well-rounded personalities and no shortage of imaginative explosions or sudden gunfights. Fraction's writing is astonishingly concise and terrifically effective, but the show's really stolen by his artist, Kieron Dwyer. Dwyer brings a fresh face to every character in the drama, whether it's a lead or one of the nameless suits unfortunate enough to step on a land mine after a single panel. The entire issue is presented in a wanted poster-style duotone: brown, white and khaki on a newsprint stock that gives things an extra layer of western authenticity. I felt like I needed to wash my hands after sitting down to read this, and could've sworn I tasted some of the dust that was kicked up during one of its crazier action scenes. Loads of fun, easy to pick up but painfully difficult to set back down again.

9/10

Comics: 98, TPB: 7, Graphic Novel: 2

Justice Society of America: 27.

This is the part one of Jerry Ordways two issue writing and pencilling run, and although it looked alright, I just didn't like this and just kept saying "So, am I done yet?"

I really liked Geoff Johns JSA but this issue was just so bland to me, it was almost like I was reading something Greg Rucka wrote.

Glad this was my last issue of JSA at full price as I just didn't enjoy this, and maybe I'll get a trade down the line of the Fables guys run, but right now, I am done with JSA.

Just finished Sinestro Corps war volume 2.

Damn, this was awesome.

It nicely set up Blackest night, and just to make sure I read it properly:

The Anti-Monitor will be a Black Lantern!?

I've read it as

The Anti-Monitor IS the Black Lantern. As in, his body created the Black Lantern Battery.

Of course, I could be interpreting it wrong.

Ex Machina #43 - I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something here, because from all indications each of the major characters are focused on one specific direction and I haven't the foggiest what on Earth it is. Reading this issue was like watching the trials at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade without realizing they were after the Holy Grail. Why are they going through all this trouble? What do they expect to find? What could possibly be worth this kind of a risk? Eh... we'll just tell you when they get there, mmmkay? That nothing much of consequence really went down this month only makes things worse. It was just thirty-odd pages of characters gearing up, saying their farewells and getting ready to face, literally, the great unknown. Except they know what it is. Maybe I'll appreciate it more once the series has concluded with issue #50.

6/10

The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 - After a few years on the shelf, I wanted to see if this was still as bad as I remembered it being. Well, as far as the first installment goes... it is. If I dig deep enough, there's plenty of great conceptual work here to get excited about - the Atom's entrapment inside a petri dish, the idea of an artificial President of the United States, the extremes the media has gone to in order to gain an upper hand in the ratings - but it's all tangled up in such a forced, convoluted plot that it's tough to pay attention to the good stuff. Miller's writing is infuriating, he spends half the issue testing to see how much slack the DC editorial staff is willing to give him and to call the other half sloppy does a disservice to the word itself. The plot is all over the place, introducing unnecessary changes on a whim while never really explaining the motivation, and the artwork... fuck, the artwork. It's HORRIBLE. I've admired the risks Miller has taken with his style for literally his entire career. He never stands still, always trying something new. Take a look at his Daredevil, his Ronin, his Sin City; when he's motivated Miller is a genuine renaissance man. He can try anything, take any inspiration to the page, and still come out smelling like roses. The Dark Knight Returns is his masterwork, a gorgeous blend of frantic linework, meticulous details and careful omissions. Professors could spend entire semesters on the lessons he taught in that mini-series, but in TDKSB he's utterly lost his mind. With the exception of the aforementioned petri dish scene, in which Miller reverts back to the style he employed on Ronin, this is inexcusable work. If I were the editor upon whose desk these pages had arrived, I'd have been strongly motivated to reject them, for all the brass balls that kind of move would have required. I know that as a culture, we afford legends a certain degree of lenience out of respect for what's come before, but there's a limit to what I'm willing to accept and this is well, well beyond that. It's just awful, and I fear my memories are correct: the worst is yet to come.

2/10

Also, two contributions to IIWY? this week: Batman #687 and Red Robin #1

Comics: 101, TPB: 7, Graphic Novel: 3

DC Comics Classic Library Roots of the Swamp Thing-this week's Dread Media

Total

Comic books: 154

Trade paperbacks: 8

Graphic novels: 1

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning, Simon Dark #10-17, Captain Britain and MI-13 #8-10, The Darkness #8-10, The Darkness: Lodbrok's Hand Oneshot, The Darkness #75, Battle for the Cowl: Underground, Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Asylum, Green Lantern #40, New Avengers #47, Mighty Avengers #20, Iron Man: The End, The End League #4-6, Kick-Ass #5, JSA: All-Stars, Battle for the Cowl: Network, Battle for the Cowl #3, Age of Desire, Poe #1, Jack Kirby's The Demon, Green Lantern #41, Battle for the Cowl #3, Battle for the Cowl Gotham Gazette Batman Lives, Batman #687, Green Lantern Corps #37, Monsters on the Prowl #20, DC Comics Classic Library Roots of the Swamp Thing

Agents of Atlas #5-6 - Namor makes out with his cousin. 'Nuff said.

Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009 - The Predator section piqued my interest the tiniest bit, but the Aliens story was worthless. Glad this was free.

Astounding Wolf-Man #15-16 - I think I'm done with this book. My main problem with it is that I don't care about the main character. Not that Kirkman hasn't presented a number of opportunities to care about the main character, I just can't connect with him. I find the main villain of the series much more interesting. Jason Howard does great art though.

Red 5 FCBD 2009 - The Atomic Robo story was better than the entire second mini-series.

Batman and Robin #1 - Loved it. The Dick/Damien dynamic is great, the flying Batmobile is awesome, and Pyg is a really creepy villain with a lot of potential. Quitely's art was fantastic as always, and while I understand the move to have two artists illustrating arcs between Quitely's two arcs to prevent delays, I wish he was illustrating the entire run. The teaser page was great, especially the final panel. That alone got me even more jazzed for what's to come.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold #5 - Continuing the trend from issue four, this felt a lot more like the show than the first three issues. Fun stuff.

Dark Horse FCBD 2009 - The Usagi Yojimbo story was cliche', the Beanworld two-page served as a good introduction to the series, the Emily The Strange story made no sense, the Indiana Jones story was okay, and I didn't bother reading the Star Wars story.

Four Eyes #3 - Hunting for dragon eggs in Depression era New York. Awesome series.

Irredeemable #2 - Nice twist on the revealing of a superhero's identity to their girlfriend. I won't be getting any more single issues, but I'll definitely pick up the trade.

Marvel Adventures Iron Man Vols. 1 and 3 Digests - The first digest was okay. I enjoyed all of the stories in the third digest except for the last one. Overall, I'd say the second was my favorite, but the series as a whole was really good. It's a shame it's no longer being published.

Nova #25 - Looks like they're going to rip off the Sinestro Corps. Yeah, I'm done.

Savage Dragon #148 - This was my first issue of Savage Dragon. The recap pages did a pretty good job at getting me up to speed on what's been going on for the past 15 years. As for the story itself, it was okay. It probably would have had a bigger impact if I was a regular reader. The art was a bit too scratchy for my taste, but it wasn't bad.

Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #2 - This issue had competitive bull dressing. Not bull fighting, bull dressing. Grant Morrison, you are the man.

Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38 - Thoughts in 'Nuff Said Episode 2.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 - Quite awesome. I'm definitely grabbing the trade of the first 11 issues that's coming out.

Thor Vol. 2 HC - The first was great and this one was even better. A new prince of Asgard was crowned, some of Loki's plans are revealed and take a big step forward, and the status quo at the end has a lot of possibilities. JMS' run on ASM was up and down, but so far, there hasn't been a bad issue of Thor yet. The more serious moments ring true and JMS knows exactly where to add comedy to the story. The artwork by Djurdjevic and Coipel is absolutely gorgeous. After reading this hardcover, Thor is probably my favorite superhero comic coming out currently. I hope it comes out consistently because I can't wait for the next volume.

Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD - Wolverine seemed out of character in this and while I think GuriHiru's art fits on other books, it isn't a good fit for Wolverine. Then again, I wasn't the target audience.

Total

Comic Books: 83

TPBs: 15

HCs: 1

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-6, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman and Robin #1, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-5, Captain America #47-48 The Complete Persepolis, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009, Detective Comics #853, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Irredeemable #1-2, JLA: Earth-2, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-2, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11

The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 - After a few years on the shelf, I wanted to see if this was still as bad as I remembered it being. Well, as far as the first installment goes... it is. If I dig deep enough, there's plenty of great conceptual work here to get excited about - the Atom's entrapment inside a petri dish, the idea of an artificial President of the United States, the extremes the media has gone to in order to gain an upper hand in the ratings - but it's all tangled up in such a forced, convoluted plot that it's tough to pay attention to the good stuff. Miller's writing is infuriating, he spends half the issue testing to see how much slack the DC editorial staff is willing to give him and to call the other half sloppy does a disservice to the word itself. The plot is all over the place, introducing unnecessary changes on a whim while never really explaining the motivation, and the artwork... fuck, the artwork. It's HORRIBLE. I've admired the risks Miller has taken with his style for literally his entire career. He never stands still, always trying something new. Take a look at his Daredevil, his Ronin, his Sin City; when he's motivated Miller is a genuine renaissance man. He can try anything, take any inspiration to the page, and still come out smelling like roses. The Dark Knight Returns is his masterwork, a gorgeous blend of frantic linework, meticulous details and careful omissions. Professors could spend entire semesters on the lessons he taught in that mini-series, but in TDKSB he's utterly lost his mind. With the exception of the aforementioned petri dish scene, in which Miller reverts back to the style he employed on Ronin, this is inexcusable work. If I were the editor upon whose desk these pages had arrived, I'd have been strongly motivated to reject them, for all the brass balls that kind of move would have required. I know that as a culture, we afford legends a certain degree of lenience out of respect for what's come before, but there's a limit to what I'm willing to accept and this is well, well beyond that. It's just awful, and I fear my memories are correct: the worst is yet to come.

2/10

Drq, don't do it. Don't read the rest. It actually, stunningly, gets worse. Much worse. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I keep these books in my collection. They're just gonna contaminate the good stuff.

Drq, don't do it. Don't read the rest. It actually, stunningly, gets worse. Much worse. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I keep these books in my collection. They're just gonna contaminate the good stuff.

Oh, I've read the whole trifecta before. I just seem to have a masochistic desire to prove to myself that things are really as bad as I remembered them from time to time. That's why I watched Episode II more than once before finally relieving myself of the DVD. Sometimes that compulsion results in a surprising turnaround, but more often than not it just makes me frown and shake my head. I'll probably unload all three issues after this reading, if I can get more than a buck for 'em.

I pulled out Hush returns to read again.

The art was nice and the story was better than I remembered.

The story takes a pause and has a filler page and then goes on for one more chapter and then goes nowhere and comes to a complete stop, their isn't a sequel trade out that i can find online, so give this a miss as it is just not worth the time sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot - This one-shot from Ape has two stories, one featuring the Black Coat and one featuring Athena Voltaire (as the title suggests). The Black Coat is a Revolutionary War era Zorro and Athena Voltaire is a female Indiana Jones. The Black Coat story sets up for the events in the Athena Voltaire story, those events being the discovery of water from the Fountain of Youth and pirates blowing up. Interesting device as the two stories occur 150 years apart. Quite good and only $2.

The Contingent #3 - Independent super-hero comic that follows a group of students at a school for children with super powers, a la the X-Men. Unlike the X-Men, their headmaster has a shady ulterior motive for the group that we've caught glimpses of thus far. This issue wrapped up all the set up, as the students are a costumed team by the end of it. Interested to see where it will go and if it will put a new twist on the super-hero team dynamic.

Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #3 - A happy ending for Seaguy. Considering how the state of the world is and there's one more Seaguy mini-series to go though, I'm not sure how long that happiness will last. I think once Seaguy as a whole is finished, it will be one of my top 5 favorite Morrison stories.

Batman: The Black Casebook TPB - A collection of the stories that inspired Batman R.I.P., plus a few that Morrison threw in just because they were so bizarre. There's an introduction by Morrison talking about how the stories contributed to his Batman run and few asides, such as Morrison having a four issue Knight and Squire mini-series plotted in his head. Most of the stories I already have in other reprints, but it's nice to have all of the R.I.P. relevant stories in one place. The two stories Morrison added because their covers interested him, "The Rainbow Creature" and "The Batman Creature," were stories I had also only seen the cover of, so they were nice additions to the collection. If you were a fan of Batman R.I.P., this is a must-have.

Next up: Beanworld Vol. 1 HC, Nexus: As It Happened Vol. 1 TPB, and Zot! 1987 - 1991 - The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Total

Comic Books: 86

TPBs: 16

HCs: 1

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-6, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-5, Captain America #47-48 The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009, Detective Comics #853, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Irredeemable #1-2, JLA: Earth-2, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11

I was so hot for The Black Coat in 2006, and then it fell off the radar. Damn shame, too, 'cause it was such a cool concept.

An ad in the one-shot said they're going to be publishing the rest of the second mini-series later this year. If that indeed happens, I'll pick up the trades.

Been reading Alex Ross & Jim Krueger's Earth-Universe-Paradise X trilogy of books, and really liked them. They're kind of like Ultimate Origins, only far more detailed and self-involved, which I liked. Also, with Norman Osborne as president, parts of it may have influenced Dark Reign.

Been reading Alex Ross & Jim Krueger's Earth-Universe-Paradise X trilogy of books, and really liked them. They're kind of like Ultimate Origins, only far more detailed and self-involved, which I liked. Also, with Norman Osborne as president, parts of it may have influenced Dark Reign.

I've always wanted those but they are pretty pricey. I may have to investigate bargin deals. I liked Earth X quite a bit so we'll have to see.

Continued my quest through Walking Dead with the next two volumes 4, 5. I really felt that the first two volumes were good but didn't live up to the hype, somewhere around the middle of volume 3 and definitely in Volume's 4 and 5, the story starts to kick into high gear and ultimately I'm glad I stuck with it. It feels like the point where a movie really would have stopped already and we're going beyond it now. Volume 4 especially, is my favorite volume as Rick really really snaps. I wrote a ton about the book in my blog: here's what it all boils down to...

"More than creating characters, Kirkman's greatest achievement is an analysis of human nature, the human psyche, and the human beings as the real monster. Throughout all the volumes, it takes a front-seat to all the themes and Kirkman is able to explore it in all its forms with all it's characters. It's his master achievement in this book."

Also read Super-man: Red Son. It's the only Superman book I've ever read all the way through, and that's because it's the only Superman book that I found interesting and challenging on an intellectual level. Like a lot of things Mark Millar has done, it comes with a lot of hype, but it's well deserved as this book is fantastically political satire, and a study of the Superman character and in essence the Batman, and Wonder Woman characters. Superman very well may be in the wrong here...and that's so intriguing. 8.5/10

Deadpool vol. 1: I'll be reviewing this in more depth in my blog but ultimately I liked it.

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 52

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-5, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son

I've always wanted those but they are pretty pricey. I may have to investigate bargin deals. I liked Earth X quite a bit so we'll have to see.

I've heard good things about Earth X but not so great things about Universe and Paradise, Stavros what did you think of them?

Also I've been scouring E-bay for a while to find the entire trilogy in one shot...but gave up.