Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

MPD Psycho Volume. 1 - One of the personalities of a police detective with mpd kills the person responsible for dismembering the detective's girlfriend and the detective is sent to prison for professional negligence. Upon his release, another personality has become the dominant one and becomes a partner in a private criminal research lab. There's an ongoing mystery to be weaved throughout the series and the uncertainty of how many personalities the main character has gives the book an unpredictability factor. The murders are both creative and horrific. I'll be picking this up on a regular basis and can't wait to read the next one.

You should check out the TV series, it's twisted.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Strong issue 1.

I got this as it was part of the after watchmen list, and therfore 80p.

I really enjoyed the cartoony art for the boy reading the comic, and the art for the Tom Strong story and how the came together.

I really want to read the rest more of this, as unlike most of the stuff i read this summer, I've was entertained throughout this comic.

The 80p price may have added to this.

Walking Dead volumes 6-8: The book is really consistently good and just when I was starting to get tired of the book, it pulls a fast one on me. I wasn't a huge fan of the two societies arc but it was still good. I wouldn't put it up there with modern day classics like Preacher and Y: The Last Man, because frankly I think the book lacks long-term vision. 8/10

Bullseye's Greatest Hits: Middling in terms of quality, some of it was good, some of it was bad. Overall it was highly unnecessary really.

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 57

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 327

Blackest Night #1

BPRD: 1947 #1

Creepy #1

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly #1

North 40 #1

Total

Comic books: 163

Trade paperbacks: 9

Graphic novels: 1

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning, Simon Dark #10-17, Captain Britain and MI-13 #8-10, The Darkness #8-10, The Darkness: Lodbrok's Hand Oneshot, The Darkness #75, Battle for the Cowl: Underground, Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Asylum, Green Lantern #40, New Avengers #47, Mighty Avengers #20, Iron Man: The End, The End League #4-6, Kick-Ass #5, JSA: All-Stars, Battle for the Cowl: Network, Battle for the Cowl #3, Age of Desire, Poe #1, Jack Kirby's The Demon, Green Lantern #41, Battle for the Cowl #3, Battle for the Cowl Gotham Gazette Batman Lives, Batman #687, Green Lantern Corps #37, Monsters on the Prowl #20, DC Comics Classic Library Roots of the Swamp Thing, Sudden Gravity (a Tale of the Panopticon), Green Lantern Corps Through the Ages, Green Lantern #42, Batman and Robin #1, Young Allies #1, Blackest Night #1, BPRD: 1947 #1, Creepy #1, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly #1, North 40 #1

Miss America Comics #1-This is just a non-issue. The story and art is bland. The character design is off from the cover to the interior (to the point of one being a hot blonde and the other being a mousy girl with glasses). I like a story that focuses on the women's war efforts of munitions manufacturing but it was still a lame duck. The backups all focus on Whizzer which is both the lamest Marvel character I can think of right now with the worst superhero name in history, next to Captain Piss. 4/10

Total

Comic books: 164

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning, Simon Dark #10-17, Captain Britain and MI-13 #8-10, The Darkness #8-10, The Darkness: Lodbrok's Hand Oneshot, The Darkness #75, Battle for the Cowl: Underground, Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Asylum, Green Lantern #40, New Avengers #47, Mighty Avengers #20, Iron Man: The End, The End League #4-6, Kick-Ass #5, JSA: All-Stars, Battle for the Cowl: Network, Battle for the Cowl #3, Age of Desire, Poe #1, Jack Kirby's The Demon, Green Lantern #41, Battle for the Cowl #3, Battle for the Cowl Gotham Gazette Batman Lives, Batman #687, Green Lantern Corps #37, Monsters on the Prowl #20, DC Comics Classic Library Roots of the Swamp Thing, Sudden Gravity (a Tale of the Panopticon), Green Lantern Corps Through the Ages, Green Lantern #42, Batman and Robin #1, Young Allies #1, Blackest Night #1, BPRD: 1947 #1, Creepy #1, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly #1, North 40 #1, Miss America Comics #1

Also: Why are the turning the greatest film of all time into a comic? I'm not saying it won't work, because western comics rock, but The Good, The Bad and the Ugly? It's going to lose tons without Leone's shots and Morricones score.

Also: Why are the turning the greatest film of all time into a comic? I'm not saying it won't work, because western comics rock, but The Good, The Bad and the Ugly? It's going to lose tons without Leone's shots and Morricones score.

You have no idea.

Garth Ennis' Midnighter miniseries from a few years ago, which is the usual Ennis mix of violence and ridiculous plots. It involves Midnighter being blackmailed in to travelling back in time to kill Hitler. I like this sort of thing.

I've been relatively inactive in this thread due to the subterfuge of the following comics I'd been reading for episode 100. Here goes:

Nightbreed 1-25

Hellraiser 1-20

Hellraiser Spring Slaughter

Hellraiser Summer Special

Hellraiser Dark Holiday

Jihad 1 and 2

Ectokid 1-9

Saint Sinner 1-7

Hyperkind 1-9

Hokum & Hex 1-9

84 comics in two weeks!

Even more than i told you the other night, Mike!

Total

Comic books: 248

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning, Simon Dark #10-17, Captain Britain and MI-13 #8-10, The Darkness #8-10, The Darkness: Lodbrok's Hand Oneshot, The Darkness #75, Battle for the Cowl: Underground, Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Asylum, Green Lantern #40, New Avengers #47, Mighty Avengers #20, Iron Man: The End, The End League #4-6, Kick-Ass #5, JSA: All-Stars, Battle for the Cowl: Network, Battle for the Cowl #3, Age of Desire, Poe #1, Jack Kirby's The Demon, Green Lantern #41, Battle for the Cowl #3, Battle for the Cowl Gotham Gazette Batman Lives, Batman #687, Green Lantern Corps #37, Monsters on the Prowl #20, DC Comics Classic Library Roots of the Swamp Thing, Sudden Gravity (a Tale of the Panopticon), Green Lantern Corps Through the Ages, Green Lantern #42, Batman and Robin #1, Young Allies #1, Blackest Night #1, BPRD: 1947 #1, Creepy #1, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly #1, North 40 #1, Miss America Comics #1, Nightbreed 1-25, Hellraiser 1-20, Hellraiser Spring Slaughter, Hellraiser Summer Special, Hellraiser Dark Holiday, Jihad 1 and 2, Ectokid 1-9, Saint Sinner 1-7, Hyperkind 1-9, Hokum & Hex 1-9

And then over the past three days, I cleansed my pallette with the following:

Agents of Atlas-fucking spectacular! Now that MI-13 is gone, this is the best book Marvel publishes and I am on for life. I love a lot of these characters, Jimmy Woo I've always been a fan of. Gorilla Man and M-11 are awesome and Marvel Boy is ubergreat. I thought the Venus character would get boring or lame but she absolutely does not. Namora is intriguing as well. The backmatter is excellent too, both the written stuff and the reprints, all make this worthwhile. 9/10

Guardians of the Galaxy: Earth Shall Overcome Premium Hardcover-I was mislead that this was drawn by Gene Colan. The first issue (the origin of the Guardians) was written by Arnold Drake (Doom Patrol, YAY!) and drawn by Colan. The rest (two issues of Marvel Two-In-One and four issues of Defenders) are written by Steve Gerber and drawn by Sal Buscema. Gerber does his best to have this story work across two different titles but beyond Vance Astro meeting his younger self (and seeing how abusive his father was even as a little boy) it is just a huge pile of shit with fitting artwork. Ugh. Sal should have paid more attention to his brother. 2/10

Total

Comic books: 248

Trade paperbacks: 11

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning, Simon Dark #10-17, Captain Britain and MI-13 #8-10, The Darkness #8-10, The Darkness: Lodbrok's Hand Oneshot, The Darkness #75, Battle for the Cowl: Underground, Battle for the Cowl: Arkham Asylum, Green Lantern #40, New Avengers #47, Mighty Avengers #20, Iron Man: The End, The End League #4-6, Kick-Ass #5, JSA: All-Stars, Battle for the Cowl: Network, Battle for the Cowl #3, Age of Desire, Poe #1, Jack Kirby's The Demon, Green Lantern #41, Battle for the Cowl #3, Battle for the Cowl Gotham Gazette Batman Lives, Batman #687, Green Lantern Corps #37, Monsters on the Prowl #20, DC Comics Classic Library Roots of the Swamp Thing, Sudden Gravity (a Tale of the Panopticon), Green Lantern Corps Through the Ages, Green Lantern #42, Batman and Robin #1, Young Allies #1, Blackest Night #1, BPRD: 1947 #1, Creepy #1, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly #1, North 40 #1, Miss America Comics #1, Nightbreed 1-25, Hellraiser 1-20, Hellraiser Spring Slaughter, Hellraiser Summer Special, Hellraiser Dark Holiday, Jihad 1 and 2, Ectokid 1-9, Saint Sinner 1-7, Hyperkind 1-9, Hokum & Hex 1-9, Agents of Atlas, Guardians of the Galaxy: Earth Shall Overcome Premium Hardcover

Agents of Atlas-fucking spectacular! Now that MI-13 is gone, this is the best book Marvel publishes and I am on for life. I love a lot of these characters, Jimmy Woo I've always been a fan of. Gorilla Man and M-11 are awesome and Marvel Boy is ubergreat. I thought the Venus character would get boring or lame but she absolutely does not. Namora is intriguing as well. The backmatter is excellent too, both the written stuff and the reprints, all make this worthwhile. 9/10

^_^

Dark Avengers #7 - I hate crossover tie-ins. I especially hate when I don't know they're coming up, and they really rise my ire when they interrupt a book that's been rolling along as well as Dark Avengers has been. With that said, I'm usually quick to forgive in such situations and I generally like what I've seen from Matt Fraction, but this was total crap. The vast majority of this issue was spent introducing generic characters I've never heard of, half of which were then promptly knocked off or knocked out in an orgy of superpowers and randomly exploding city streets moments later. What was the point of that?! Honest to god, I thought I'd returned to the early '90s for a sort of X-Cutioner's Song Redux. The few nuggets of goodness that were scattered around this issue weren't nearly enough to compensate for its flavorless artwork and disconnected approach to the Avengers themselves. At least next month I'll know what's coming.

2/10

The Walking Dead #63 - Even when it's treading water, this series is more entertaining than most titles experience during their greatest arcs. I'm constantly astonished at how effortlessly Kirkman can integrate deep new personalities to Walking Dead's roster. They're each multi-dimensional, inherently flawed, genuinely compelling individuals, and the writer casually slides their tales into the flow of the story as though they were nothing. This month we're learning a bit more about Gabriel, the priest who strolled into the group's life a few issues ago, and he fits that mold just as well as those who came before. I felt like the ending of the issue was somewhat telegraphed, but that doesn't make it any less harrowing or ominous for the near future of Rick and his cluster of survivors. Once again, this is great storytelling from both writer and artist, intense characterization and a sudden zombie attack or two thrown in to make sure we don't forget about the big picture. I'm glad I jumped on to enjoy the ride.

8/10

Chew #1 - Well, that was imaginative if nothing else. This issue changed gears and directions so many times that by the last page I felt dizzy. Is it a crime drama? An open discussion about the treatment of America's poultry? A rant against prohibition? Maybe a bit of science fiction with a hint of superheroism? It's all and none of the above, like the creators couldn't decide on one specific direction and instead chose to pursue everything that came to mind. I enjoyed certain aspects of the story, like the premise that chicken was outlawed by our government after a particularly nasty bout with the bird flu, but really found myself at a loss when it came to others. I'll give John Layman, the writer, points for originality; I've never seen a power quite like Tony Chu's ability to learn everything about a creature by ingesting it. There's a lot of potential for ingenuity there, but to be frank I'm not particularly taken by the direction. It's playful, but lacking. I loved Rob Guillory's artwork, though, which matched the manic, odd flavor of that storyline beat for beat. If you like Jim Mahfood, you'll like Guillory's work too.

6/10

The Walking Dead Volume 1: Days Gone Bye - Finally got my hands on the first volume, and tore through it in one sitting. I was worried I'd be distracted by Tony Moore's initial interpretation of the characters, since I got to know them in the hands of Charlie Adlard, but instead found the two artists' styles to be very compatible. I was struck by the much faster pace of this chapter, especially compared to the current arc, but looking back that's understandable. The cast hadn't really figured out what they were doing at this point, so it's only natural that they'd come under fire (so to speak) with much more regularity than they do now. I thought the friendship / rivalry of Rick and Shane made a great outline for this first arc, before being effectively cast aside at its conclusion, like a pair of training wheels. For all the growing the cast did in this arc, they've got a long ways to go before becoming the hardened, jaded faces we're following today. It's nice to have a little perspective now. Great reading.

10/10

Also, a few contributions to IIWY? since my last post: Reborn #1, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36, Deadpool #12 and Action Comics #879

Comics: 111, TPB: 8, Graphic Novel: 5

• 2 weeks later...

Aliens #2 and Justice League of America #35 - Thoughts in this week's IIWY?

Batman and Robin #2 - Great second issue, I liked how things didn't go too smoothly for the new Dynamic Duo. The action was good, but the real highlight for me was the conversation between Dick and Alfred. Frank Quitely's artwork was good, especially during the fights and with the sound effects integrated into the artwork. Compared to the last issue, I did think he was a little rushed this time around. Looking forward to issue three and bracing myself for the next arc.

Dethklok vs. The Goon - An evil cult guiding a royal lineage to lead to the birth of a being more evil than the Anti-Christ and Dane Cook, old gypsy sex, and a mosh pit of corpses. It's The Goon cranked up to 11.

Captain America #601 (Black and White Variant) - This is not a comic book. This is an art book. A minimum of an hour should be spent on each page. That's right. An hour. For. Each. Page. If you finished it in under two days, you went too fast. Even in his eighties, Gene Colan can do things with a pencil artists today only dream of. Did you buy the color version? Get the black and white variant. Did you read the words? Fuggedabout the words. It's all about the art. The glorious Gene Colan art.

Total

Comic Books: 95

TPBs: 17

HCs: 1

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-6, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-2, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-5, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, Detective Comics #853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Irredeemable #1-2, JLA: Earth-2, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Detective Comics #320

det320.jpg

That's right. I read a comic with Batman and Robin in mummy costumes and you didn't.

Explosions.jpg

Total

Comic Books: 96

TPBs: 17

HCs: 1

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-6, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-2, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-5, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Irredeemable #1-2, JLA: Earth-2, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB