Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Batman: Heart of Hush: Read this at Barnes and Noble Wednesday night while I was waiting for my little sister's bible study to be done, probably didn't read it as close as I could've. I really liked this, good story, didn't know Hush, but goddamn, I want to know more. Also, Selina is beyond awesome in this, even if she is literally missing her heart for most of it, and appearances by Zatanna are always awesome. Going on my to buy list.

Comic Books: 53

TPBs: 20

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read through the original Hush arc for free at work and I wanted my money back. I don't really know how the character is handled nowadays, but Hush has got to have one of the dumbest origin stories ever conceived.

Justice Volume 3: Never got to finish this up back at school as the friend didn't have the final volume, here. Incredibly pretty, as to be expected with Alex Ross, especially the armor. Story was pretty solid, even if the ending was a bit cliched.

Comic Books: 53

TPBs: 21

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

I read through the original Hush arc for free at work and I wanted my money back. I don't really know how the character is handled nowadays, but Hush has got to have one of the dumbest origin stories ever conceived.

...Really?

I mean, really?

I love Hush's origin. The idea of him being this reversal on who Bruce is, feels really profound. I'll admit that Loeb rushed the ending and the Jason Todd/Harvey Dent/Jim Gordon involvement was a bit underdeveloped, but overall, I really loved Hush.

To point out the bad in Hush, one only has to look at this:

Ooh, here's this guy from Bruce's past who's kind of like a childhood antagonist.

Oh yeah, and here's the masked villain that just happened to surface at the same time as Bruce's old friend.

The bad guy is actually Jason Todd back from the dead! Fooled ya! Psych. It's actually the obvious thing.

Ooh, here's this guy from Bruce's past who's kind of like a childhood antagonist.

Oh yeah, and here's the masked villain that just happened to surface at the same time as Bruce's old friend.

The bad guy is actually Jason Todd back from the dead! Fooled ya! Psych. It's actually the obvious thing.

5854_142592343997_537223997_3278757_5992946_n.jpg

5854_142592343997_537223997_3278757_5992946_n.jpg

Hush, you!

I'll add issue 7 to what's bad in Hush. You've got Batman beating Joker to a bloody pulp, remembering all of the people in his life Joker has hurt, needing Gordon to stop him from following through with actually killing him...and all of this was set off by the apparent death of a guy we met five issues ago.

Hush was a good story that just fell apart at the end.

Though it did give us under the hood due to the twist and how pissed off people were.

Anyway: Blackest night #1 Nice issue, shame I'm waiting for the hardcover, also I noticed you need to read Green Lantern to get parts of the Hal Jordan part of the story, Line of the issue "I smell a mystery" by Ralph Dibny.

Green Lanter #44. Good issue, I like Mahnke's art in general, and this is no different.

Line of the issue, Martian Manhunter picking up the building and saying "Why don't people remember I'm as astrong as Superman" it seems the dead get the powers of the heros, but not the morals, which is awesome as what Manhunter does to flash is awesome.

I'm worried about how they'll collect this, would it be 4 issues of blackest night and the green lantern parts and the tie-in issues, as I would like to read these all and have them on a shelf where I could go back to it again.

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 331

Citizen Rex #1

Dethklok vs. The Goon

Project Superpowers: Chapter Two #1

Star Trek: Spock Reflections #1

We Kill Monsters #1

Total

Comic books: 20

Trade paperbacks: 47

Graphic novels: 1

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but Captain America #601 was fucking incredible. Just... perfect from top to bottom. Brubaker put together the perfect story to put Colan on, and Mean Gene knocked it out of the park. Maybe my favorite single issue ever, easily the best Cap book I've ever read.

Also picked up Green Lantern #44 and Amazing Spider-Man #600. Both good, but nowhere near the other book.

I said it was good, what more do you want? I thought it actually was a little too short and had few too many things happening, but it's just build for Blackest Night, so I won't hold that against it. Barry and Hal both bore me to tears, usually, but they were fine here. Obviously, J'onn was the highlight. "I'm as powerful as Superman. Why does everyone forget that?"

It was a fine issue, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Cap book.

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but Captain America #601 was fucking incredible. Just... perfect from top to bottom. Brubaker put together the perfect story to put Colan on, and Mean Gene knocked it out of the park. Maybe my favorite single issue ever, easily the best Cap book I've ever read.

Also picked up Green Lantern #44 and Amazing Spider-Man #600. Both good, but nowhere near the other book.

Preach it Brother Preston! Preach it!

...Really?

I mean, really?

I love Hush's origin. The idea of him being this reversal on who Bruce is, feels really profound. I'll admit that Loeb rushed the ending and the Jason Todd/Harvey Dent/Jim Gordon involvement was a bit underdeveloped, but overall, I really loved Hush.

"Your dad saved my mom's life, Bruce, which for an astoundingly petty reason upset me and now I'm going to construct this elaborate and convoluted plan to get back at you!" I mean, seriously.

The only good thing that came out of Hush is that Riddler got to do something cool for once.

EDIT: And how exactly, is that more implausible than, "My parents are dead, I'm going to dress up like a bat and punch the fuck out of a clown."

Becoming a symbol of justice because your parents died in a senseless act of violence is quite different than hunting down your childhood friend 20 years later because his dad saved your mom's life, preventing you from an inheritance that you didn't even need because you went on to become a fucking surgeon.

Anywho, my last real post in this thread was back in March. Living on a farm with no internet for five months gave me a chance to do quite a bit of reading, and I'm going to try my damnedest to remember it all.

Comic Books

Street Fighter II Turbo #4-9

Gravel #8-12

Crossed #0

Crossed #3-6

The Contingent #1

Greatest Hits #6

Battle for the Cowl: The Underground One-shot

Batman: Detective Comics #853

Irredeemable #1

Welcome to Hoxford #2-4

Destroyer 1 & 2

Batman #687

Tales of the Corps #1-3

Green Lantern #39-44

Tarot #53 (Yeah, don't ask.)

Greek Street #1

Creepy Comics #1

Seaguy #1 (Utter shit)

Exiles #1-4 (And it's canceled already)

Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery One-shot

Blackest Night #1 & 2

Absolution #0

Chronicles of Wormwood #1

No Hero #1-2

Blackest Night: Batman #1

Green Lantern Corps #39

Doctor Who #1

Final Crisis 1-7

Hellblazer #256 & 257

Satan's Sodomy Baby One-shot

Drawing on Your Nightmares one-shot

Digital Webbing Presents #5

Dark Horse Presents #157

The Goon 1-3 (1999)

The Goon 1-4 (2002)

The Goon Color Special

The Stuff of Legend #1

The Entire Resurrection Man run which is 28 issues and an appearance in Supergirl #24

Trades

Death: High Cost of Living

Hellraiser: Collected Best

Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel

Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2

Batman: The Long Halloween

Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes

JLA: The Nail

The Sword Vol 1: Fire

Comic Books: 140

TPBs: 10

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-12, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-44, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-2, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-257, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire

EDIT: And how exactly, is that more implausible than, "My parents are dead, I'm going to dress up like a bat and punch the fuck out of a clown."

Becoming a symbol of justice because your parents died in a senseless act of violence is quite different than hunting down your childhood friend 20 years later because his dad saved your mom's life, preventing you from an inheritance that you didn't even need because you went on to become a fucking surgeon.

But, the fact that your mother made your life a living hell by surviving might change that perception slightly, yes?