Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

44 has possibly the single most true line in comics:

I'm as powerful as Superman. Why does everyone forget that?

I don't like that line, because...

he has the most powerful weapon in the galaxy. But the second he loses concentration, he's no longer as power as Superman. But Superman is always that powerful.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson Special 02- I wasn't expecting too much from this, and so I was very pleasantly suprised with how good it was. James Robinson writes Jimmy Olson better than anyone else I've read (i.e. he's actually a likable character rather than a whining little shit), the conspiracy-laden story is fan-freaking-tastic, and the ending is absolutely shocking stuff. Ongoing Superman just became a must-read for me, because I felt this was Starman-good. 9/10.

Batman: Gothic - checked this out at a local library. Really liked it. I haven't read too much of Morrison's newer stuff (outside of Batman and Son which I thought was okay) but I could see that Morrison has always likes to bring in a sort of supernaturaly element or at least suspicion of one (which Gothic did a stupendous job on). I'll be picking up Morrison's entire Batman run when it's all made available in trade which is taking entirely too long.

Walking Dead vol. 9 - I constantly jump between not wanting to continue and to continue on this book. Volumes 4-6 were great and then just when I thought Kirkman was losing steam he flips a switch and makes the book awesome again. This time around though, I really feel it's getting stale, and I've got vol. 10 coming in, I think that's going to be the deciding volume of whether I stick around on this book any longer.

I like the changed focus in the first half of this volume but near the end I kind of felt, okay back to status quo.

52 vol. 1-2 - I know relatively nothing about the larger DC universe. In general my knowledge is pretty much Batman, so in saying that I probably didn't love this as much as others did but the concept intrigued me and I stayed around for the ride. It's also super fast paced blockbuster, because it's condensed in terms of time and you rarely stick too long with any one character. I like some of the stories, usually the smaller ones that focus on the relationships the characters have like the Montoya/Question story and the Black Adam/Isis/Osiris story. The larger more sci-fi stories were the ones that I got lost on, the Lobo/Animal Man/ and two other characters whose names escape me story often lost me. This book though really does a good job of mixing the large-scale plots with the smaller scale plots, and the a dash of characterization all the way through. Dibny's story really hits all of these with his initial state of intense mourning to the later spiritual journey. The only ones that seem to be going nowhere are the Steel/Luthor/Supernova storylines. I'll finish the book, because it's enjoyable ride although sometimes the book's lulls really hurt that, but it's not often enough.

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 67

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-2, Batman: Gothic

I'll be picking up Morrison's entire Batman run when it's all made available in trade which is taking entirely too long.

Well, the Black Glove is coming out in trade in September, and Batman and Robin, Volume 1 is getting released in April.

God knows when they will put R.I.P in trade, as it probably still sells on the name alone.

No Hero #3 and #4 - Great great art. Other than that, no much so far. I'll give this one more issue.

Blackest Night: Superman #1 - Just about as good as I was expecting it to be. No more, no less.

Absolution #1 - Very typical for Avatar, super violent and never on time. It's pretty much exactly like a superhero version of Dexter. Fun stuff.

Green Lantern #45 - Some cool stuff with Sinestro and Carol.

Also...

Larfleeze is basically fucked now.

Blackest Night: Titans #1 - Notable for one very important development.

There is now a white emotion on the spectrum. Looking at Dove's dialogue when she was scanned. Logic or Reason, maybe?

Gravel #13 - I love this book, but it's moving sooooo slowly. I may just switch over to trades after this arc.

Hellblazer #258 - This book consistently has some of the best covers ever. End of a solid arc.

Comic Books: 148

TPBs: 15

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-13, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-45, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0-1, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-4, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-258, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1,

Part two of catching up on all the comics from summer that I missed:

Blackest Night: Superman #1: Ehh. Don't really know if I'm going to follow this this coming month or not. The art on the humans' faces looks really weird, don't much care about Connor, and don't think the "through a glass, darkly" with Black Lantern!E-2 Supes really does much for the psychological angle. Then again, intrigued by possible

bringing back Pa Kent as BL

. I'll flip through it next month and see how it goes.

Blackest Night: Batman #1: This one, however? I will gladly and happily folow for the entirety of its run. Don't much know Deadman, but I like the interaction between him and Dick, and seeing Damian be something other than a little brat, and actually vulnerable, is appreciated.

They're going for Bats and the parents, it looks like, so Tim's coming into town

, and I'm eager to see where this goes.

Blackest Night: Tales of the Coprs #1-3: Nice little one-shot stories focusing on various members of the various corps. Saint Walker, Kilowog, Arisa, and the Indigo stories were the standouts

and from the Indigo's story, I think we know what the Indigo rings do, and it's pretty damn neat

, but the rest were passable. Director's Cut of Blackest Night #0 seemed like a filler. Probably would've been better collected in a large volume.

Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth #1-2: Ehh. I'm not really liking this run that much; it doesn't seem as good as the other run that Way's doing. The reprint that they ran was fairly solid, nice Siryn/Deadpool interaction, but seemed quite a bit out of context. Going to give it the three-issue rule: if it can't hook me when I look through the next issue, I'm out.

Deadpool #12-14: The resolution to the Bullseye arc is pretty solid, features fun hallucinations (even on Bullseye's end!) and awesome fights. A little anti-climatic, but good as a lead-in to the pirate arc, which is just pure crack and fun. Preston, you'll like #13 and 14, Bob of Hydra shows up. :D

Secret Six #11-12: Okay. I might actually be in the minority, but I like this arc. Yes, I will admit the larger plot of the slavers doesn't make a bit of sense, but I'm more interested in the character dynamics (the heterosexual life partnerishness of Bane and Scandal, the way the team dynamics are tested over morals), and seeing Jeanette let loose is fucking frightening,

especially seeing that she can take down both Wonder Woman and Artemis.

meep. I don't really know who the big reveal at the end of teh issue is supposed to be, so that lost me a little. I assume there will be explanation next month. Art's really amazing on this, I hope Scott and Hazlewood get more work on more DC books, honestly, I'd like to see what they could do.

Gotham City Sirens #1-3: Okay, this is going to be my guilty pleasure book, along with Power Girl, no questions asked. The plot's not the most stellar, admittedly, but it's fun seeing the interaction of the various females of the Gotham part of the DCU. Plus, lots and lots of eye candy, especially with brief appearances by Talia and Zatanna. The third issue was kind of an outlier, as another person took over the writing duties and we only see two of the three main characters for one page, even if the Riddler story is fairly solid. But, sorry I -

Oh, what was I saying? Sorry, just saw a panel of Harley in her schoolgirl outfit doing a acrobatics, mind gone now.

Wonder Woman #33-35: #33 is the tail end of an arc, I don't think I was supposed to get this, but BIG THINGS HAPPEN. Exactly how they relate to the larger arc, I can't say (recaps are quite valuable, DC!), but what I can say is

apparently Zeus made male Olympians to lead the Themyscirans, and this doesn't sit well with Diana after the whole Genocide thing, Diana is no longer Princess of Themyscira

, and Zeus is a dick. Genocide being not apparently all the way dead is the lead-in to the metahuman underground fight arc with Black Canary, which is just fun, a bit introspective, and good fights galore. Also, something with Pele, I'll get back to you on that when I figure that out. Not really sure where it's going next, might pick up next month's to see whether or not I'm picking up a new series.

Batman: The Widening Gyre #1: I'm not really sure what to think about this. Issue starts off with a flashback to younger days with Dick and Bruce and Nazi-army-things, which is really reminiscent of the campiness of the 60s, then we get an echo of that in the present with Dick being really smarmy (and pardon my dirtiness, but damn, I love this Dick), something with Arkham tying in somehow with Poison Ivy getting really strong (and kind of borderline over the top sexy), and Etrigan shows up. Not really sure how everything fit together, it was really disjointed, so I'm giving the next issue a flip-through before I decide to buy it.

Thunderbolts #133-134: Discontent is running high among the team, as are intrigues, as they go off to fight Songbird, who's fighting back. That's more or less what happens over these two issues, but it's good, and I'm definitely sticking with this to see where it goes, especially now that we know

Yelena is actually Natasha working undercover for Fury

Comic Books: 81

TPBs: 22

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

Wednesday Comics #1-8: I really like this; I remember back when I would read the Sunday comics in the paper, and I like that sort of feel to it. I feel like these are kind of hit and miss; Kamandi, Deadman, Green Lantern, the Flash, the Demon and Catwoman, and the Supergirl strips are probably my favorites out of all of them; I'm a bit iffy on the Bats, Supes, and Metamorpho strips; and I'm not much into the Metal Man, Strange Adventures, Teen Titans, Sgt. Rock, or Hawkman. The only one I out and out dislike is Wonder Woman, and the art is pretty neat on it, it's just the formatting makes it incredibly difficult to read. Ugh. Only four more of these, and I can't wait for them.

Comic Books: 89

TPBs: 22

Motion Comic: 1

Great Lakes Avengers: Misassembled - Dan Slott at his absolute worst. (Hi Des!) A good writer would take such joke characters and do something with them. This was just four issues of a comic that insulted everyone associated with it, including the reader.

Comic Books: 148

TPBs: 16

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-13, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-45, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0-1, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-4, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-258, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 339

Batgirl #1

Blackest Night: Superman #1

Dominic Fortune #1

The Red Circle: The Web #1

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1

Total

Comic books: 311

Trade paperbacks: 13

Graphic novels: 1

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1

I'm a major slacker, so this might get a bit long. Sorry!

DMZ Volume 3: Public Works - Another fine volume, if lacking the sharp direction and focus of the first two trades. With such a tremendous supporting cast already established, Brian Wood may have been overextending himself by introducing a whole new roster for Matty to interact within this arc, because the new faces really pale in comparison. Amina, the only one I could imagine making a return visit, is so shallow and indecisive, it's hard to comprehend how she manages to survive at all. It probably sounds like I'm coming down on this really hard, but that really isn't my intention. It's just a more generic, straightforward arc than those that came before. Books one and two were moving a thousand miles an hour in a million different directions, and I came to adore that frenetic personality. Public Works, by comparison, is wearing a small pair of horse blinders and charging straight ahead. DMZ's constant parallels to the current political climate may date it in the coming years, but it still feels relevant today, two years after publication. Riccardo Burchelli's artwork remains gritty, flavorful and delicious. I'd buy the rest of the trades for his work alone.

7/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 - I guess the huge, world-shaking ramifications of Ultimatum have resulted in... a return to the status quo, more or less. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since Ultimate Spider-Man has consistently been one of my favorite monthly books. It's just a little weird to step in expecting white to be black and up to be down, and be confronted with an almost-direct continuation of the storyline virtually right where we left it. Bendis is good for a few really fun bits of dialog, as always, and he has actually changed a few minor details (like Parker's choice in lady friends) but this didn't really sell me on the need to relaunch the series with a new number one. I didn't care for David LaFuente's take on the famous webbed threads, but the rest of the issue looked decent enough. I'll give him some time to grow on me.

7/10

Ultimate Avengers #1 - This read like even parts Ultimates 2 and Ultimates 3, which is perplexing since I didn't really imagine Millar would want anything to do with the latter. The team is amazingly thin, basically just Cap and Hawkeye with Fury and Stark making brief cameos, but they didn't need much more for the purposes of this issue. Remember when the Widow and Hawkeye were leaping between skyscrapers, shooting down helicopters and KOing terrorists? The majority of this chapter is an extended rehash of that scene, with good ol' Captain A taking the lady's place and a super cheesy, overthought rendition of the Red Skull standing in as the evil mastermind. If it were a movie, this would be a popcorn chomper, if not an especially deep one. Color me disappointed.

4/10

The Walking Dead #64 - The requisite bi-monthly storm between calms. Holy crap, every time this series seems like it's slowing down or heading in a remotely predictable direction, it jukes ferociously and leaves me wondering where my center of gravity went. I'm running out of adjectives for Kirkman and Adlard's masterpiece, and issues like this one are the reason why. Constant action, relentless suspense, fantastic characterization and fundamentally perfect artwork. Who could ask for anything more? Keep 'em coming, boys, and I'll keep buying.

10/10

Ex Machina #44 - The secret origin of the Great Machine was honestly pretty surprising, so as it turns out Brian K. Vaughan actually does know how to follow through on a good premise from time to time. As usual, though, the big reveal asked more questions than it answered, and still found the time to completely wig the fuck out on me once or twice. So... there's just a giant gleaming cube underneath the helmet of the Big Daddy that's been wandering the NYC sewers for the last six months? What?! And what's with Bradbury going nutso and playing teeball with a reporter's noggin in the middle of a conversation? I mean, in retrospect I've got a few ideas about how the two might be related, but at the time I thought somebody had snuck some LSD into my toothpaste or something. An interesting twist surrounded by a nice big glob of WTF.

5/10

Batman and Robin #3 - I'm still having a hard time deciding what I think of this series. Well, scratch that, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to make of the writing, because Quitely's artwork is freaking phenomenal. Every month he's exploring new territory in creative storytelling, inventive integration of sound effects and unsettling characterization. He's a master of his craft, and Morrison, believe it or not, is mostly just along for the ride. I can't imagine this storyline working with another artist, but work it does. This tour of the deranged inner workings of the local sideshow was lots of fun, although it was also quite a bit more skewed than I'm used to seeing from one of DC's big guns. I guess the time's right to try out a few new ideas with these characters, what with the change in protagonists and accompanying editorial leniency. All right, the jury's in, I've decided to like it.

7/10

Dark Avengers #8 - Complete garbage. I should've known better than to buy it after last month's sneak preview, but like a good little reader I had to go and give it another chance. It was nice of them to shrink the "Dark Avengers" typeset on the cover, because the team itself enjoys maybe four panels of attention from front to god-forsaken back this month. The rest of the time we're celebrating Emma Frost's public speaking in the middle of a flashy, hyperactive mutant throwdown. Listen, Marvel, if I want to buy an X-Men book, I'll grab one of the sixty X-Men books on the shelf. Please stop using one of the few genuinely interesting titles in your roster to sell me the same old jumbled, convoluted mutant BS that chased me shrieking from Xavier's dream years ago. Sorry to say it, Fraction, because I usually enjoy your work, but this is pure drivel. Thanks for taking the time to let me know it'd continuing into next month's issue, though. Now I know to just keep on walking.

1/10

Also, quite a few contributions to IIWY? since my last post: Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #5, Fantastic Four #569, Ultimatum: X-Men Requiem #1, Exiles #5, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Incredible Hercules #132, Daredevil #500 and Witchblade #129 (whew)

Comics: 125, TPB: 9, Graphic Novel: 5

Shaolin Cowboy #6,7-I would buy this for the art alone 10 times over but the story is still amazing. Issue 6 has the SC fighting a great white shark piloted by severed head with a katana through its eye from inside the shark's mouth. The whole thing. And he fights it with a chainsaw on the end of a stick. Geof Darrow is a different race of creature. I'm sure he lived under the earth's crust for millenia until he awoke and began to draw comics. Issue 7 focuses on his donkey and a baby fighting two amphibian demons. CRazy shit. 10/10

How the hell have I gone this long without reading these?

Everyone should be reading Shaolin Cowboy. It's just a damn shame Darrow can't bring himself to release more than one issue every sixteen months. One of my favorites.

Chew #1-read this in the backup to one fo the recent Walking Dead issues and I have to say it was awful. It's an original idea that devolves 100% into cliche inside the first few pages and doesn't leave. 2/10

Total

Comic books: 312

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1

Batman and Robin #3 - This comic is awesome, plain and simple. I thought Quitely looked a bit rushed last issue, but he was firing on all cylinders in this one. Brilliant stuff. And Pyg is officially the creepiest villain since I don't know when. I loved the ending, especially the part that brings everything full circle. I'm apprehensive about Philip Tan's art, but I can't wait for the next arc.

G-Man: Cape Crisis #1 - After back-up strips in Savage Dragon and a one-shot, G-Man has his own mini-series. Nothing serious or earth shattering, just fun from beginning to end. If you liked Chris Giarrusso's Mini-Marvels, you'll dig this.

Total

Comic Books: 101

TPBs: 18

HCs: 1

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-6, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-3, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-5, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Supergirl #38.

I got this in a grab bag of 3 for £1 and I read this and really enjoyed it.

The writing was alright, and the art reminded me of Quietley, which wasn't a bad thing.

It's part of the Superwoman storyline, and now that I know who she is, I can say it was fun to look at this middle part of the story.

I won't be getting this monthly, but if I have spare cash and I see a trade of Supergirl from this team, I wouldn't automatically ignore it.

7 out of 10.

Gotham City Sirens #3. Probably already mentioned that March has tried all my patience with his art. Also it was a writer fill in issue, which I've never seen before, nor have I ever seen a company forget to mention this, or update the plot on their site for previews. I hate March's art, and he should just be a cover artist and not an interior guy.

Brave and the bold #21. I really tried to like this, and it was so mediocre. Looked nice though.

Walking Dead #59-64: Consistently the best comic being written month to month. Adore this book. I have a feeling that once they get to DC, things are going to get a whole hell of a lot worse. 10/10

Viking #1: I really dug this. It was in the back of WD #64, and has a great violent and fun pacing with a cliffhanger like a left hook. Good stuff. I'll be grabbing this in trade from now on. This is what Avatar books should be more like. A tiny bit of restraint goes a long way, you know, creating tension and all. 9/10

Total

Comic books: 319

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1, Walking Dead #59-64, Viking #1