Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Ultimate Spider-Man - first 3 volumes.

This was my first experience reading Marvel comics, and I loved it! Spider-Man is totally unlike Batman (which is the majority of whatever few comics I've already read) and it was a nice change, I must say. Not that I don't like Batman being all dark and brooding and all that, but Spidey was much more fun. Also, Peter Parker was almost my age. That was kind of cool. I guess that's the whole "I can relate to you (kind of)" type of thing going on there.

Anyway, it kind of rocked. So yeah. Awesome.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broken Trinity #1-3: I finally got to this, and the following books, and it was spectacular. Maybe the best thing an event has ever done. Instead of just bringing together the universe, it expanded it immensely and gave me three or four ideas to pitch. loves it. Plus, it's intewresting to see Sejic and Hester on art together. I wonder what they each did. Nebezial? 8.5/10

Broken Trinity: Witchblade #1: Pretty good too. I like the art and the storytelling. A nice one and done concentrating on Sara and Jackie post baby. 7.5/10

Broken Trinity: Aftermath #1: Not my cup of tea. Two kind of non-stories. Good art in both but kind of a non-starter. 4/10

Fell #8-9: This book has lost its shine for me. 8 is a waste of an issue with zero attempt at a story whatsoever and nine is just the same old. I'm done with it. Too bad, used to be one of my favorite books. 2/10

Thoughts in DM 106

Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #4

FVZA #1

Total

Comic books: 328

Trade paperbacks: 13

Graphic novels: 1

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1, Walking Dead #59-64, Viking #1, Broken Trinity #1-3, Broken Trinity: Witchblade #1, Broken Trinity: Aftermath #1, Fell #8-9, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #4, FVZA #1

newuniversal: Shockfront #1,2-Why is it that Ellis has eleventeen million projects made of suck when one of the best books Marvel has produced this past decade is dead in the water? Fuck. 9/10

newuniversal 1959-Read it last year for IIWY and it's still as good. Damn this is a powerful book. 9/10

newuniversal Conqueror-I had a lot of trouble following this book. It didn't make a lick of sense. Turd. 1/10

Daredevil #116-119-These are the first four parts of Return of the King and I just have a lot of excitement for grabbing 500. Too damn bad I'll have to wait so damned long to see it. Kingpin is a pimp!!! Goddamn. There is no doubt I will not be following the creative team change. It couldn't match this. 10/10

Justice League of America #31, 32-Wow, talk about turds. This book has been in the can for months and McDuffie has been holding it there. I can't remember ever abandoning a series I'd been following before the end of an arc. But I did now. Black Canary assualts her husband for "embarrassing her" and proceeds to whine for an entire issue and then the rest of the team don't have a fucking clue what's going on for the issue after that. Kind of a postmodern bend on actually attempting to read this tripe. 0/10

Captain America Comics #1 70th Anniversary-This is quite possibly the best Captain America story i have ever read. AND IT"S WRITTEN BY JAMES ROBINSON! He's a guy I've never liked but he hit this fucker out of the stratosphere. Marcos Martin is now one of my new favorite artists. Damn, he's good. 10/10

The Human Torch Comics #1 70th Anniversary-Not the biggest fan of Snyder's story but Wegener's art is crisp. God I love it. 6/10 for the art alone.

Total

Comic books: 340

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1, Walking Dead #59-64, Viking #1, Broken Trinity #1-3, Broken Trinity: Witchblade #1, Broken Trinity: Aftermath #1, Fell #8-9, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #4, FVZA #1, newuniversal: Shockfront #1,2,

newuniversal 1959, newuniversal Conqueror, Daredevil #116-119, Justice League of America #31, 32, Captain America Comics #1 70th Anniversary,

The Human Torch Comics #1 70th Anniversary

Green Lantern: Secret Origin - Just catching up on all the GL I can.

Comic Books: 148

TPBs: 17

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-13, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-45, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0-1, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-4, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-258, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled, Green Lantern: Secret Origin

Well, for starters, Rage of the Red Lanterns makes a lot more sense now, and this is my first look at Sinestro before his heel turn. I didn't mind the origin story since Hal Jordan's isn't one that's been retold a million times already.

Also, Ivan Reis is fantastic on it.

Agents of Atlas #7-9 - A lot happens in these three issues. The Atlantis story wrapped up, more history of the Atlas organization is revealed, and

Jimmy Woo's old flame returns

. Great stuff storywise, unfortunately we got three artists this time around. Gabriel Hardman's art in issue 7 was fantastic; he's quickly becoming one of my favorite current artists. Carlo Pagulayan's art was good in issue 8, but Panosian's art in issue 9 was a bit jarring. Despite the rotating artists, it's still a great book and one that I hope gains more readers when it relaunches.

Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation TPB - I ordered this after seeing all of the critical acclaim on the forum. And I gotta say they were right. The story was great, going from a simple mission to a long storyline centering around Scandal Savage. All of the characters were great (well, except for Knockout), especially the Mad Hatter. He only popped up here and there, but when he did, it was cool and totally fucked up in some cases. The ending was great, but I would have liked to see the dynamic that ends carried on for a bit longer. Great mini, buying the first trade of the ongoing ASAP.

Strange Tales #1 - This was great. First of all, it was a 48 page book with no ads. The $4.99 price is a bit high, but the lack of ads makes up for it for me. There were a lot of stories in here, most of them being a couple of pages, with several that were 5 or 6. It was really fun seeing independent artists tackle the Marvel characters and none of them played it straight. Definitely strange, but also very fun.

Total

Comic Books: 105

TPBs: 19

HCs: 1

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-9, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-3, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-5, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Sub-Mariner Comics #1 70th Anniversary-2 new fun little stories and a fucking great reprint from the Golden Age. Excellent stuff. 8/10

Justice Society of America #25, 26-25 is nonsense and shit. It made me feel good for quitting this book. 26, however, brought back Eaglesham and Johns to deliver maybe my favorite single issue of the year as the goodbye to this incarnation of the JSA. Absolutely great swan song for Johns on Stargirl. Starman is fucking rad and every character rallies to her birthday party to make an intensely memorable story without villains or world threatening circumstances. This is why Johns is the master he is. 10/10

Simon Dark #18-Though I'm sad to see it go, Niles delivers a profound and sweet final issue. Too damn bad. 9/10

The Flash Rebirth #1-3-Wow. I had my doubts going in but Johns, again, knocks it out of the park. Absolutely great moments with a neat little mystery. The stuff with Iris and Wally are fantastic, I have a few reservations about the moments with Hal but that's fine. The reveal why he's back is something I guessed at but never believed would be true. The perp is the same. The race with Superman is perfect. I have absolutely no idea where this is going. And I love it. 9/10

Total

Comic books: 347

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1, Walking Dead #59-64, Viking #1, Broken Trinity #1-3, Broken Trinity: Witchblade #1, Broken Trinity: Aftermath #1, Fell #8-9, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #4, FVZA #1, newuniversal: Shockfront #1,2,

newuniversal 1959, newuniversal Conqueror, Daredevil #116-119, Justice League of America #31, 32, Captain America Comics #1 70th Anniversary, The Human Torch Comics #1 70th Anniversary, Sub-Mariner Comics #1 70th Anniversary, Justice Society of America #25, 26, Simon Dark #18, The Flash Rebirth #1-3

I’ve read so many comics this year, but it’s so rare that I post here. I think I’ll just do a run through of some of the comics I’ve yet to mention:

Young Liars vol. 1. Holy shit! I knew some crazy stuff would be happening in this book, but I was not expecting the level of insanity here. It’s violent, it’s crazy, and it’s hilarious. I love it.

Umbrella Academy vol. 1. Damn it Gerard. I don’t care for your music at all. And yet, you go ahead and write this, and I couldn’t put it down. I was expecting something quirky, but dreary and not-that-fun (like a Tim Burton film). Instead I got something fun and surprisingly clever. Bravo Gerard.

Zot 1987-1991: Eh. I like the artwork, and I had fun with a few issues here and there, but by the end I honestly stopped caring.

Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl? I, uh... I didn’t hate it. But I just couldn’t get into it. The artwork felt really rushed. The story was alright. That’s about all I can say about it. I’m sure Oeming’s artwork improved over time, but there’s absolutely nothing there to draw me back.

Wednesday Comics 1-8. Okay, first off: I freakin’ love Paul Pope. It was his drawings that initially pulled me towards grabbing the first issue. But once I started reading, I really started getting into the other comics. Kamandi is gorgeous and fun. Superman is gorgeous and... not as fun. I also really like Flash, Deadman, Batman, Green Lantern, Metal Men, Supergirl and Metamorpho. Only comics I can’t really get into are Sgt. Rock (not my thing), Wonder Woman (horrible, cluttered layout), Teen Titans (boring artwork, so-so story) and Hawkman (I don’t care for the use of 3D models and the storyline is nothing to write home about).

Batman and Robin #1-2. Love the artwork. Love the story. It’s the only book I’m reading that’s in continuity with either universe.

Chew #1. Eh. Again, nice artwork, so-so story. I get that they’re just playing around with clichés, but the whole food concept isn’t really enough to make it interesting. Maybe future issues get better, I might pick up the next issue just to see.

Secret Six: Unhinged - Haven't listened to WFTT yet, so nothing much to influence my opinion. It was a perfectly acceptable story. I really liked the Bane stuff, but all in all, it didn't blow me away...

JSA: The Next Age - ... but this did. Holy Moses what a great book. Nothing fancy. Just great character work and storytelling. Wish I had read this sooner.

HCs: 0

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-13, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-45, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0-1, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-4, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-258, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled, Green Lantern: Secret Origin, Secret Six: Unhinged, JSA: The Next Age

Kingdom Come - My first time reading this. I actually don't know how I felt about it.

HCs: 1

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-13, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-45, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0-1, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-4, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-258, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled, Green Lantern: Secret Origin, Secret Six: Unhinged, JSA: The Next Age, Kingdom Come

Dark Avengers: Assemble - Hadn't read any Marvel in a while and thought I should give this a chance. It was pretty underwhelming, I thought.

Why does Bendis insist on writing the Sentry like a nine year old? The character had so much potential when he debuted and now he's just the slow kid that tags along to have a tantrum when they need to get out of a situation.

Also, I don't think Daken had more than two lines in this whole thing. I didn't know anything about the character, and I still don't after reading this.

HCs: 2

Greatest Hits #4-6, Gravel #6-13, Crossed #2-6, Epilogue #3-4, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3-9, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-6, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke, Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li, Astounding Wolf Man #12, Stephen King's The Stand: Captain Trips, Big Dog #1, I am Legion #1, Hack/Slash: First Cut, Welcome to Hoxford #1-4, Batman #686-687, X-Infernus #03, Crossed #0, The Contingent #1, Battle for the Cowl: The Underground, Batman: Detective Comics #853, Irredeemable #1,, Destroyer #1-2, Batman #687, Tarot #53, Green Lantern: Tales of the Corps #1-3, Greek Street #1, Creepy Comics #1, Green Lantern #39-45, Seaguy #1, Exiles #1-4, Doctor Who: The Wondering Gallery, Blackest Night #1-2, Doctor Who #1, Final Crisis #1-7, Absolution #0-1, Chronicles of Wormwood #1, No Hero #1-4, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern Corps #39, Hellblazer #256-258, The Goon , Satan's Sodomy Baby, Drawing on Your Nightmares, Digital Webbing Presents #5, Dark Horse Presents #157, The Goon 1-3 (1999), The Goon 1-4 (2002), The Goon Color Special, Resurrection Man #1-27, Resurrection Man #1,000,000, Supergirl #24, The Stuff of Legend #1, Death: High Cost of Living, Hellraiser: Collected Best, Hack/Slash Vol 2: Death by Sequel, Batman: Hush Vol 1 & 2, Batman: The Long Halloween, Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled, Green Lantern: Secret Origin, Secret Six: Unhinged, JSA: The Next Age, Kingdom Come, Dark Avengers: Assemble

Essential Man-Thing volume 1. I loves me some Mike Ploog!

Total

Comic books: 347

Trade paperbacks: 14

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1, Walking Dead #59-64, Viking #1, Broken Trinity #1-3, Broken Trinity: Witchblade #1, Broken Trinity: Aftermath #1, Fell #8-9, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #4, FVZA #1, newuniversal: Shockfront #1,2, newuniversal 1959, newuniversal Conqueror, Daredevil #116-119, Justice League of America #31, 32, Captain America Comics #1 70th Anniversary, The Human Torch Comics #1 70th Anniversary, Sub-Mariner Comics #1 70th Anniversary, Justice Society of America #25, 26, Simon Dark #18, The Flash Rebirth #1-3, Essential Man-Thing volume 1

52 vols. 3-4: I liked it, but I didn't love. As someone who was basically using it as a primer to the DC Universe, like me, it doesn't work nearly as well. The book kind of moves along at a break-neck pace, whether you understand what's going on or not. I often didn't, especially with the outer-space stuff and time traveling stuff. I really liked some things, I thought the Black Adam story was the crux of the book and really hooked me while the Question/Renee Montoya relationship was also excellent. But then again there were other stories that just felt plodding. A really good book, but I'd suggest someone to be some-what familiar with the DC Universe before taking the plunge. 8/10

X-men: God Loves, Man Kills: I can't read Claremont anymore and I still have another book left of his that I haven't read (Mutant Genesis). This was one of the first books I've ever bought and I've read many times over. It's honestly the one that stands the test of time the best in my opinion. It's more adult than a lot of the other books and really deals with some tough themes. I've always felt that Claremont has been able to write themes and express themes in his book, but dialogue and character DEVELOPMENT have always comes across as stilted. This was no different, people don't really change in his books, except for one villain in this book. It's a classic, but there's some trouble there. Also after Mutant Genesis, I think I'm done reading Claremont. 8/10

Daredevil by Bendis vols 4-7 and volume 9: This is probably one of my favorite runs on a Marvel/DC character...ever. And it's these volumes where Bendis really breaks the mold, keeping within the legacy of Frank Miller by making a whole world around the Murdock character including multiple villains and supporting characters and shit even the city is a living breathing character. It's fantastic. Also this is the part of his run that really goes away from the typical superhero, putting Murdock through a ringer like none other, and with no clear cut method out of the shit hole. Somewhere in volume 9, you can see the transition to a more tyipcal superhero fare and I think that was kind of the point for Bendis. Volume 9 is where Daredevil sees the light. I honestly truly love this book and Bendis' initial run on Daredevil helped push DD into one of my favorite superheroes of all time. Yes I went back and read Frank Miller's run (which is also tremendous and Bendis takes a lot of ques from Miller). Maleev takes a different take on DD than Miller did, while Miller used a lot of long vertical panels to help portray the city as a character, Maleev doesn't do that, Maleev uses a lot of dark shading and noir style cues, but it's usually claustrophobic and helps portray the claustrophobia that Murdock feels as his world comes crashing down on him. Of course there are splash pages to emphasize major turning points in the story or major victories, but usually art helps drive the dialogue, quick cuts, and more panels. I love this book and I'm re-reading it because I never touched Brubaker's run (even though I own all of the TPBs released) and I'm trying to re-familiarize myself with the events and the awesomeness that occured while Bendis and Maleev were doing the book. 10/10

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 75

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9.

JLA/JSA: The Lightning Saga - I honestly don't have a clue what happened here. Lots of good character stuff, as usual, but it left me really confused.

JSA: Thy Kingdom Come Part One - I'm really glad I read Kingdom Come now.

TPBs: 21

... Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-4, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled, Green Lantern: Secret Origin, Secret Six: Unhinged, JSA: The Next Age, Kingdom Come, Dark Avengers: Assemble, JLA/JSA: The Lightning Saga, JSA: Thy Kingdom Come Part One

Walking Dead Vol 5 - Didn't see this coming. Sort of a transitional volume that's setting up the main thread for the next few books.

Frankenstein's Womb - Certainly not the best thing Ellis has ever done. I didn't hate it, but it's clear he came up with the concept and wrote this whole thing over lunch one day.

Adventure Comics #1 - I always liked Connor for some reason. Not a bad restart for him.

Doctor Who #2 & 3 - I wonder if this book is going to change over to Doctor Eleven when the new series starts.

North 40 #1-3 - VERY disappointing. A real wasted concept that I was expecting a lot more from.

Flash Rebirth #1 - I'm on a Geoff Johns kick, and I figured I should give Flash another chance. It was enough for me to give #2 a look.

Green Lantern Corps #40 - This is sort of in a holding pattern at the moment while new issues of Blackest Night come out.

Blackest Night Batman #2 - Some cool stuff with Deadman here that I should have seen coming.

Comic Books: 157

TPBs: 22

Graphic Novels: 1

... Simon Dark Vol 2: Ashes, JLA: The Nail, The Sword Vol 1: Fire, Deadpool Vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Walking Dead Vol. 1-5, Blackest Night: Superman, Blackest Night: Titans #1, GLA: Misassembled, Green Lantern: Secret Origin, Secret Six: Unhinged, JSA: The Next Age, Kingdom Come, Dark Avengers: Assemble, JLA/JSA: The Lightning Saga, JSA: Thy Kingdom Come Part One, Frankenstein's Womb, Adventure Comics #1, Doctor Who #2 & 3, Flash Rebirth #1, Green Lantern Corps #40, Blackest Night Batman #2