Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

On top of these, I've read like a dozen comics today. I'll add them tomorrow.

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 348

Daredevil #82

Heartland

JLA #1

Planetary #1

The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe

Suicide Squad #1

Total

Comic books: 382

Trade paperbacks: 20

Graphic novels: 3

Jan 01-Aug 28=300 comics, 13 TPBs, 1 GN...Wednesday Comics #3, Wednesday Comics #4, Adventure Comics #1, Luke Cage Noir #1, Red Herring #1, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1, Batgirl #1, Blackest Night: Superman #1, Dominic Fortune #1, The Red Circle: The Web #1, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, Chew #1, Walking Dead #59-64, Viking #1, Broken Trinity #1-3, Broken Trinity: Witchblade #1, Broken Trinity: Aftermath #1, Fell #8-9, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #4, FVZA #1, newuniversal: Shockfront #1,2, newuniversal 1959, newuniversal Conqueror, Daredevil #116-119, Justice League of America #31, 32, Captain America Comics #1 70th Anniversary, The Human Torch Comics #1 70th Anniversary, Sub-Mariner Comics #1 70th Anniversary, Justice Society of America #25, 26, Simon Dark #18, The Flash Rebirth #1-3, Essential Man-Thing volume 1, 28 Days Later #1, Army of Darkness: Ash Saves Obama #1, Batman: The Widening Gyre #1, The Darkness / Pitt #1, Fantastic Four #570, Seaguy #1-3, Terror Inc. #1-5, Wolfskin Annual #1, Wormwood: The Last Enemy, Batman and Robin #3, Blackest Night #2, Blackest Night: Titans #1, Blackest Night: Batman #1, Green Lantern #45, Green Lantern Corps #39, Doom Patrol #1, Marvel Comics #1 70th Anniversary, All Winners #1 70th Anniversary, Captain America: Reborn #2, The Marvels Project #1, Frankenstein's Womb, Irredeemable Vol 1, Hunter, Young Lovecraft vol 1, Night of the Living Dead #1, 2, Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus volume 1, Incarnate #2, Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus volume 2, Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus volume 3, Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus volume four, Daredevil #82, Heartland, JLA #1, Planetary #1, The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, Suicide Squad #1

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2: These were a couple of books that my buddy picked up at a comic, statues, music expo. In all honesty, they're kind of boring. It's not bad, but it didn't really excite me either. Maybe it's because I don't care too much for the Hulk character or something, but the whole multi-layered conspiracy thingy was just so blegh, overwrought, overly long, and in all honesty I couldn't care less. I liked what they did with Banner's character, I like Banner being on the run, I like Banner using meditation to calm the Hulk down, heck I liked him even having a bit of control over the green goliath later on...I just didn't like the conspiracy plot, the main plot, driving the series forward. I didn't like the zombie/vampiric/conspiracy villains, and I often got lost understanding who is who's side. I don't even know why I finished the damn thing...but I did.

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 95

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2

Punisher: Born - Origin stories are a dime a dozen, but rarely do they ever change the entire face of a character the way this one did, creating a new perspective on the way you look at any Punisher story that came after it. One of the finest works of Garth Ennis' career.

Batman and Robin #5, North 40 #4, and Sweet Tooth #2 - IIWY?

Comic Books: 180

TPBs: 32

HCs: 5

Graphic Novels: 1

Wednesday Comics #5-8: I think I'm liking the idea of this series more than the series itself. only about a third of the stories (Kamandi, The Flash/Iris West, Batman) are workign on a page by page basis, the books don't fold back the same way once they're opened and it's cumbersome being so damned big. 7/10

MODOK Reign Delay: Fucking funny. Loved it. 8/10

Moon Knight Saga: Thanks for a free waste of time Marvel. Seriously, why are they constantly trying to make Moon Knight work? He doesn't. Make it stop. 0/10

Marvel Mystery Handbook: The OHATMU for the Golden Age. Fun read. 7/10

Mystic Comics #1 70th Anniversary: A GA Vision story! Woot! Fun story, great Kirby character, great art. Nice Kirby Vision reprints. 8/10

Daring Mystery Comics #1 70th Anniversary: A Phantom Reporter story. Yay. note the sarcasm. Liked the Jason Armstrong art. Great for the era. 6/10

Ultimate Avengers #2: The origin of Ultimate Red Skull. Not mind-blowing but still quite nice. I love Millar on Ultimate Cap. I love the backstory he's given Cap that is there from the Ultimates Issue one. 8/10

Vampirella: Second Coming #1: Ok. So I've got a thing for Vampirella. Don't judge me. This one I got for the...ahem...free print. I'll be grabbing this in trade. 7/10

The Marvels Project #2: I love this book. I love every bit of it. 9/10

Batman and Robin #4: I like the story, I like that Tan has a bit of Quitely going on and I am wondering why it seems so obvious who the Red Hood is. 8/10

Reborn #3: Ok, it's cool, but where the fuck is this going? I'm confused. 6.5/10

Blackest Night #3: Awesome, in a word. Fucking great. Barry and Hal are great together and I was happy with the use of Firestorm. I've never much cared about him before. Now I do. 9/10

Green Lantern #46: It's official: Doug Mahnke is my new favorite artist and Sinestro is my new favorite character. GAWD! I love this book! I was teased with the question thing, I thought we were going to get a Hal/Sinestro moment but the reality was just as sweet.

My prediction for the end of Blackest Night:

Sinestro will be the White Lantern

10/10

Green Lantern Corps #40: Not as strong as in past months but still fantastic. 8/10

Blackest Night Batman #2: Tomasi's got the characters down. The art is much better in this issue and the villains are rad. I like Deadman grabbing Babs too. 8/10

Blackest Night Superman #2: Again. Awesome. Freaking awesome. 9/10

Blackest Night Titans #2: It's official, best Titans story since Johns was writing. But you have to know your titans to get it all. I LOVE the design on BL Hawk! 9/10

Adventures of the Fly: 1. The Simon/Kirby stories are miles above the Simon/everybody else stories. 2. Kudos on Joe Simon for telling the story of Stan stealing the idea for Spider-Man again in the foreword. Some of the other stories are ugly though. The Fly must battle a Leprechaun riding a robot? 8/10

Total

Comic books: 402

Trade paperbacks: 21

Jan 01-Oct18=402 comics, 21 TPBs, 3 GN...

Moon Knight works fine when he's done right. I'll be the first to say that they've completely botched him since the reboot but it's not exactly like Marvel's been putting their lead hitters on the book, but even then there were issues when it seems like they had him down.

Vengeance is the book to read anyway, not Saga.

Planetary #27-I'm not sure how to write how I feel about this issue. On one hand, an issue over a decade in the making of what I consider to be the greatest comic series of all time can't help but disappoint by not living up to expectations. On the other hand, it was still a stellar and fitting end to the series. Does it tie up all loose ends? Hell no. Not even close. But it does tie one major loose end up, puts Drummer in the spotlight, and gives one of the best time travel stories that I have ever read. 10/10 (but I wanted an eleven...)

Total

Comic books: 408

Trade paperbacks: 21

JSA Vol. 1: Justice Be Done - I'm really starting to feel like the JSA are slowly becoming "my team" in comics. There's not a single character I dislike in the bunch, and I've yet to read a story that's really let me down. Figured I'd start from the 1999 relaunch and work my way up from there. It's definitely weird reading a Pre-crisis team, with Alan Scott as "Sentinel" and such.

Punisher MAX Vol. 1: The Beginning - Always loved the final page of this.

Comic Books: 180

TPBs: 34

Agents of Atlas #10 and 11 - Slightly rushed, but a great end to a great series. Looking forward to the upcoming mini-series before the next ongoing starts up.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold #9 - Easily the best issue of the series. From the touches on the first page of the main story that callback to the cartoon, to the appearances of Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, and Joker to the "Seal!" sound effect when Penguin got smacked with a seal, this was great.

Cowboy/Ninja/Viking #1 - Off to a good start. While I wouldn't want to see it in every comic, I love the art style and the larger format.

G-Man: Cape Crisis #2 - More fun than last issue, still digging the backups.

Jack Staff Special #1 - This was okay, if anything it got me even more excited for the Eternal Warrior one-shot. Seriously, the Eternal Warrior is a badass.

M.O.D.O.K. Reign Delay - This was pure hilarity from beginning to end. "Hands up, who's gotten drunk with Wolverine? That's what I thought."

Total

Comic Books: 118

TPBs: 21

HCs: 2

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-11, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-5, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-9, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Countdown Special: New Gods, Cowboy/Ninja/Viking #1, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Fantastic Four: 1234 TPB, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1-2, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, Jack Staff Special #1, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, M.O.D.O.K. Reign Delay, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, We3 TPB, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Blackest Night: Superman #3 - I pretty much knew the ending of this once Psycho Pirate showed up. Also, Krypto is kind of awesome.

Vengeance of the Moon Knight #2 - Why can't Sentry be written this well everywhere? Glad to see The Profile back. He's a character that should really be used more often.

The Stuff of Legend #2 - Best indie book out right now. Great original story, and beautiful, unique art style.

Sweet Tooth #1 - This is a dollar. There's no reason not to pick this up.

Doctor Who #4 - Bit of a nothing issue.

Cowboy Ninja Viking #1 - I'm going to start throwing "I'm a goddamn Oceanographer, okay?!" into all future arguments.

Adventure Comics #3, Incredible Hercules #136, and Scalped #32 - IIWY?

Comic Books: 189

TPBs: 34

Currently I'm reading through the first two issues of Secret Warriors, deciding if I want to buy the forthcoming trade paperback. And I have to tell you, I had high hopes for this book. The idea is sound, new characters enjoying the spotlight, Nick Fury doing his Nick Fury thing, and a writer with a lot of hype. But I'm mostly disappointed with it. Though it's far from bad, the first-issue cliffhanger seemed unbelievable, and way out of left field. Fury was more of a caricature than a character. Daisy looks way too much like Maria Hill (see the image below). Baron Strucker's dialog is terrible: "I no longer need to cleanse the world, I simply wish to rule it." And the art, I go back and forth on Stefano Caselli. Sometimes I like his thick, fluid lines, but here that style doesn't work. Nor does the coloring, which muddies everything. I'll finish the issue I'm in the middle of, but I doubt I'll be reading further.

Maria-Hill_Daisy-Johnson.jpg

Total

Comic books: 70

Trade paperbacks: 62

Graphic novels: 1

Couple of funnier entries:

Deadpool #900: About fifty/fifty on the good versus crap ratio. Liefeld/Joe Kelly's story is probably the worst, and the opener is probably the strongest. A fun read, but not worth the $6.99 Marvel wants for it.

Fin Fang Four: The. funniest. comic. I. have. ever. read.

Christ. This thing is gold from the first panel to the closing line. Fin Fing Foom has gone from a character I didn't give two shits about to the most hilarious misanthrope this side of... I don't know. This book is great.

Reread District X vol. 1 and read District X vol. 2, the first volume is a lot stronger and overall none of it went over as well as it did the first time. I liked the idea of taking a look at the mutant underworld and the mutant ghettos. But it didn't really have a great identity and they went with the human cop as the main character who is unlikable and gets more unlikable as the story goes on. I wouldn't read it again, but as a one time read, it's not bad, at least check out vol. 1 where the balance is really good and the characters don't get on your nerves as much.

I picked up WE3 by Grant Morrison, and finally picked up X-factor visionaries vol. 4 so I'll probably read those and reread X-factor Visionaries vol. 1-3 in preparation for a re-read next year of the new X-factor series including the vol's I haven't read yet that occur after Messiah Complex and after that invasion.

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 96

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2, District X vol. 2

Bullet Points TPB - Really cool "What if?" tale by JMS, with gorgeous Tommy Lee Edwards art.

Total

Comic Books: 118

TPBs: 22

HCs: 2

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-11, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-5, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-9, Bullet Points TPB, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Countdown Special: New Gods, Cowboy/Ninja/Viking #1, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Fantastic Four: 1234 TPB, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1-2, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, Jack Staff Special #1, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, M.O.D.O.K. Reign Delay, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, We3 TPB, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

The Boys: Vol 2 - Well, this sure fell off a cliff. I don't think I've ever seen such cool characters wasted on such a useless story. Completely got away from the "hunting of bad superheroes" idea to some haphazard russian mob story. Major disappointment.

And Des says I told you so in 3... 2... 1...

Comic Books: 189

TPBs: 36

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Not going to say much right now, as I'm still digesting it, but it's a fun book with a major flaw; the one thing we want to see throughout is Logan's eventual turn back into Wolverine, but when he finally pops his claws and seeks his revenge, a lot of the killing is kept off-page. Kinda weak in that regard.

Uncanny X-Men #516

Everyone was out of character here. Magneto bows at Scott's feet. Xavier wants to attack Magneto for no reason. Scott does a whole lot of nothing. Very flat overall.

Total

Comic books: 71

Trade paperbacks: 63

Graphic novels: 1