Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Boys: Vol 2 - Well, this sure fell off a cliff. I don't think I've ever seen such cool characters wasted on such a useless story. Completely got away from the "hunting of bad superheroes" idea to some haphazard russian mob story. Major disappointment.

And Des says I told you so in 3... 2... 1...

I told...

Na. Just kidding. I didn't tell you so because I knew better than to even bother reading The Boys.

Also, a lot of single issue X-Men reading going on. You guys get a head injury or something?

DC One Million #1-4, JLA #1,000,000, DC One Million 80-Page Giant - While it has a few problems, DC One Million is a lot of fun. You've got a future Justice League, a living sun, and Vandal Savage placing super-heroes in suits that are pretty much atomic bombs. What more could you want? The art is typical 90s art, but not the bad kind of 90s art, the 90s art that is ok, but is just kind of there. You can find the issues in a dollar bin, and I definitely suggest picking them up if you can find them.

Total

Comic Books: 124

TPBs: 22

HCs: 2

Graphic Novels: 2

Manga: 2

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-11, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-5, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-9, Bullet Points TPB, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Countdown Special: New Gods, Cowboy/Ninja/Viking #1, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009,Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, DC One Million #1-4, DC One Million 80-Page Giant, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Fantastic Four: 1234 TPB, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1-2, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, Jack Staff Special #1, JLA #1,000,000, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, M.O.D.O.K. Reign Delay, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, We3 TPB, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 353

The Authority: The Lost Year Reader

Supergirl: Who is Superwoman?

Supreme: The Return

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 355

Angel vs. Frankenstein

Azrael #1

Cowboy Ninja Viking #1

DCU Halloween Special 2009

GI Joe: Snake Eyes #1

Total

Comic books: 76

Trade paperbacks: 66

Graphic novels: 1

GI Joe: Cobra #1-4, and Special #1

Holy fucking shit! This. Is. Awesome!

The writing is crisp, the plot flows at a very nice pace, never does the book pretend to be smart by burying you in military acronyms, the world is fully fleshed out, the overall tone is perfectly dark, and the characterization of Chuckles is brilliant! He's a lot like Daniel Craig's James Bond: a smart thug with all the skills to be a great soldier, but he's too brash to last within the military structure. And though we've seen that a thousand times, like with Craig's Bond, it works here and never feels clichéd.

Art wise, it's clean and simple, but so very emotive and dynamic. It does a wonderful job moving the story along, while taking its time during the slower moments. At times the decision is made to not show the violence, and it always works. Never did I think, "Damn, I wanted to see that head explode!"

Even the lettering is excellent. At one point, after something really bad happens, Chuckles' captions switch to an all-black / Punisher MAX-style. Though we already know the character has taken a dark, dark turn, the coloring of the captions puts the exclamation point on it.

Best of all, by the end of the four-issue miniseries, you don't know what's going to happen next. Chuckles is so lost and down and alone, this book could go in any direction.

My only complaints are:

01. The third issue could have been stretched into two issues. It felt a tad compressed, but it didn't ruin the enjoyment of the series.

02. The Special relies a little too much on a gimmick. It's a neat look into the heads of Tomax and Xamot, and gives them a bit of depth, but it tells more than shows.

Overall, though, I'd easily recommend the trade and would gives this an 8/10.

Total

Comic books: 81

Trade paperbacks: 66

Graphic novels: 1

The Anchor #1 - I already read The Goon, so I think I'm going to pass on this.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold #10 - This issue had a giant Batman monster fighting a giant Atom. 'Nuff said.

DC Comics Presents: Mystery In Space - This was part of a group of one-shots in tribute to legendary DC editor Julius Schwartz. Each issue had two stories that were inspired by a cover from the Schwartz era. One story in this issue had art by J.H. Williams III and the other was written by Grant Morrison. You can't go wrong.

G-Man: Cape Crisis #3 - This issue was the best yet for two reasons: one, the Fred Hembeck cameo complete with squiggly elbows and knees and two, the Charles Atlas parody ad on the back cover.

Secret Origins #46 - Grant Morrison tells the origin of the Justice League's secret cave in Happy Harbor as only Grant Morrison can.

Spawn #16-18 - These were the most un-Grant Morrison comics I've ever read. There were a few brief moments here and there, but overall, I think he was completely uninterested in writing these.

X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas #1 - This issue was okay. I mean, I'm glad to be getting more Agents of Atlas comics, but I'm much more looking forward to the Avengers vs. Agents of Atlas mini-series.

Total

Comic Books: 133

TPBs: 22

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-11, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, The Anchor #1, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-5, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-10, Bullet Points TPB, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Countdown Special: New Gods, Cowboy/Ninja/Viking #1, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009, Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, DC Comics Presents: Mystery In Space, DC One Million #1-4, DC One Million 80-Page Giant, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Fantastic Four #1-5, Fantastic Four: 1234 TPB, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1-3, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, Jack Staff Special #1, JLA #1,000,000, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, M.O.D.O.K. Reign Delay, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Secret Origins #46, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Spawn #16-18, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, We3 TPB, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas #1, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

Haunt #2 - Quite an improvement on the first. Explained a lot, especially why the main character knew how to fight immediately.

Blackest Night #4 -

Of all the JSA members to kill, why did it have to be my favorite one!?! He better be back before the end of this.

Blackest Night: Titans #3 - Who would have thought that this would have ended up the best of the three tie-ins? Love Benes' art here.

Green Lantern #47 - Sinestro's brief speech to his Corps was awesome.

Doom Patrol #4 - So... this was a comic. Yeah.

Psylocke #1 - The rare case of a mini from Marvel on a character that hasn't been done to death. I'll freely admit that I bought this for the Finch cover, but it's a decent enough book. I might have to bring my total Marvel count up to 2 books for the next few months.

Comic Books: 175

TPBs: 36

HCs: 5

Graphic Novels: 1

The Boys Vol. 3 and 4 - This got a lot better. I don't know what was up with Vol. 2, but this recovered nicely. Seeds are being planted for some awesome things in the future.

Ignition City #5 - IIWY?

New Avengers #58 - IIWY?

Comic Books: 177

TPBs: 38

Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Crawling From The Wreckage TPB - I'm reading Grant Morrison's entire run on Doom Patrol this week, one trade a day. Tonight was volume one. From the first issue, it sings "I'm written by Grant Morrison" at the top of its voice. A girl with 64 personalities, each with a super-power. Fiction taking over reality. Imaginary friends becoming all too real. Genius. Not to mention the character of Red Jack, who is in just two issues, but is written the most brilliantly. I can't wait to read the rest of the run and see what weirdness comes next.

Total

Comic Books: 133

TPBs: 23

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-11, Aliens/Predator FCBD 2009, Aliens #2, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, The Anchor #1, Animal Man Volume 1-3 TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13; 15-16, Athena Voltaire & Black Coat One-Shot, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Black Casebook TPB, Batman and Robin #1-5, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-10, Bullet Points TPB, Captain America #47-48; 601, The Complete Persepolis, The Contingent #3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Countdown Special: New Gods, Cowboy/Ninja/Viking #1, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Dark Horse FCBD 2009, Dark X-Men: The Beginning #1, DC Comics Presents: Mystery In Space, DC One Million #1-4, DC One Million 80-Page Giant, Detective Comics #320;853, Dethklok vs. The Goon, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Doom Patrol Vol. 1 TPB, Fantastic Four #1-5, Fantastic Four: 1234 TPB, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2-3, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, G-Man: Cape Crisis #1-3, Gantz Vol. 1, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Green Lantern Corps #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Invincible Iron Man #15, Iron Man & The Armor Wars #1, Irredeemable #1-2, Jack Staff Special #1, JLA #1,000,000, JLA: Earth-2, Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told TPB, Justice League of America #35, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5-6, Marvel Adventures: Iron Man Vol. 1-3 Digests, M.O.D.O.K. Reign Delay, MPD Psycho Vol. 1, Nova #20-25, Planetary #1, Red 5 FCBD 2009, Ruins, Savage Dragon #148, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1-3, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Secret Origins #46, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Spawn #16-18, Super Friends #11, Superman / Batman #62, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Tales to Astonish #27, 35-38, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, The Mighty Thor #356, Thor Vol. 2 HC, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, Warlord #5, We3 TPB, Wolverine: Origin of An X-Man FCBD, X-Force #11, X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas #1, Zot! 1987 - 1991: The Complete Black and White Collection TPB

NOLA #1-what a great first issue. And it's written by the guy who wrote and directed Right at Your Door. Sweet.

Phantom Zone #1-4-Steve Gerber + Gene Colan + 1981=Paradise.

Batman The Cult #1-4-Again, Jim Starlin + Bernie Wrightson + Batman = Yes Please!

Total

Comic books: 444

Trade paperbacks: 21

Graphic novels: 3

Dark Avengers #10 - I'm confused. Didn't the Sentry wind up with the proverbial bullet in his brain last month? It's not like I expected this issue to open with a weeping squad of Dark Avengers mourning his loss over an open casket, but maybe something as subtle as an acknowledgment of those events is in order? No? Fair enough. Continuity hiccups aside, I'm really not sure where this book is going any more. Bendis can't decide if he wants the team to be a sincere threat or a band of bored miscreants that would fit right in on The Real World, and it really can't be both. He's spreading around bits and pieces of character development, but it's so trivial and the cast is still so distant and empty that it's not having much of an effect. Moonstone's a slut. Venom's going mental. Osborn's overworking himself. Got it. When are we planning to get the audience emotionally involved? A few personality flaws and a mysterious new superhuman threat do not a compelling narrative make. And hey, would you look at that...

the Sentry's "died" again.

How have things skidded so far so fast?

4/10

Batman and Robin #5 - This issue would kill to be considered middle of the road. Grant Morrison better have something incredible under his sleeve, because this car's sitting in neutral and the fumes are starting to go to my head. Was that really the big "Red Hood" reveal? Is that where you're planning to leave the storyline? Is the new baddie who rolled into town on the last page any different from the last two? Do I have a reason to care? I miss Frank Quitely. It's become quite clear how much of this book's charm was his doing.

3/10

Daredevil #501 - So it's back to the original numbering for good now, I guess. It's far too early to be writing off the new creative team, but I worry that the top of the mountain is behind us in this series. Brubaker and friends left a lot of potential on the plate when they stepped away, but I didn't see anything here to convince me that Diggle and De la Torre are capable of picking up on it. I liked what I saw of their grasp of the supporting cast, but it was too soon to see Matt again and I can't imagine anyone is buying him as the dark, despicable slayer they're trying to paint him up as. And that better not have been

the last we saw of Master Izo.

Was it shocking? I suppose, and I can't fault the team for doing something drastic to make their mark right away, but I don't see those potential benefits outweighing the sacrifice. There's still plenty of time to salvage this, but it's stumbled out of the gates.

5/10

Ex Machina #46 - I realize it's been going on for the entire length of this series, but Brian Vaughan's constant non-sequential storytelling is really becoming unwieldy. With each issue we're leaping forwards and backwards over days, months and years, and while that worked nicely when the story's "current" events were taking place in the present day, the real world now has a four year lead on Ex Machina. I feel like I should have been managing a spreadsheet all along to help keep the story's major events in order. As usual, I found myself twice as interested in Mitchell's political career as I was in his extraterrestrial origins, but this series is drawing to a close and I don't imagine the spotlight will be moving too far from those particular threads before we're finished.

6.5/10

Ultimate Comics Spider Man #3 - I'm liking the liberties Bendis has taken with Mysterio in this storyline. Sure, he often tries too hard to portray him as a badass cyber-terrorist, but the creative use of his powers, his curious physical manifestation and his solid new threads have worked to transform him from something of a joke into a legitimate menace for the fresh title's first story arc. Spider-Man's character-driven scenes have been getting a little shaky, but the superhero action is still working for it. That said, I'm just about ready to wave goodbye to David Lafuente's artwork.

6/10

Ultimate Comics Spider Man #4 - There's been a real shift in the tone of this series since the relaunch, and I can't say I'm all that crazy about it. Since the beginning, Bendis has masterfully balanced a primarily teenaged cast with a somewhat older general direction, resulting in a book that wouldn't lose sight of each character's maturity level but also didn't read like an issue of Betty and Veronica. Maybe it's the change in artist, but that hasn't been the case over the last four issues. Peter and MJ in particular seem to have de-aged by about five years, both in appearance and in personality, and while I'm happy to see the title's focus moving toward the relationship hell that personified the original series decades ago, this is the wrong way to do it. I was embarrassed to be reading a few pages this month. When did USM turn into a girl's manga?

4.5/10

The Walking Dead #66 - I'm usually a bit skeptical of issues crammed full of two-page spreads, but the treatment was understandable - and effective - in this one. A staggering conclusion to the long-running "Fear the Hunters" arc that I was not prepared for, this issue begs a variety of deep moral questions and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer for any of them. Although it reads very quickly, there's a surprising amount of substance crammed into this issue, not to mention a mountain of foreshadowing. Incredible, haunting, genuine horror.

10/10

Also, several comics for IIWY since my last post: Detective Comics Annual #11, House of Mystery: Halloween Annual #1, The Unwritten #6, Spider-Woman #2, Brave and the Bold #28, Secret Warriors #9 and Ambush Bug: Year None #7

Comics: 149, TPB: 11, Graphic Novel: 5

JSA Vol. 2: Darkness Falls - The Obsidian story was great, as was Wildcat taking out the entire Injustice Society by himself. I could take or leave the Extant story. These trades are huge, so there's something for everyone.

Comic Books: 177

TPBs: 40

The only thing that's taken some getting used to is the pacing. I suppose I'm so used to Bendis era "let's talk for 8 pages" storytelling, that's it's both jarring and refreshing to see "here's the deal, let's go take care of it."

X-factor Visionaries by Peter David vol. 1-4 - David's newer run is a shit-ton better by far, but this was still very fun, 90's adventure comics. It's actually really cool how David mixes some deep themes like war, genetic engineering, identity, etc... into his humourous superhero adventure comics. Easily the best issue is the psych evaluation on the team, that issue really hits on all cylinders and is the best kind of summation of the characters on the team. It's not the greatest run ever, but it's very solid run, and I'd say it's a definite pick-up for anybody interested in the earlier adventures of the X-factor team. But volume 4 is eaten up by the X-cutioner's song X-over debacle, where David had to put everything on hold in order to be part of the crossover, and it really hurts the writing when David isn't allowed to stay in his little corner of the X-universe.

Ultimate Iron Man vol. 1 - I read this a while ago and hated it. I tried it again and I ended up really liking it. I still don't like the non-ending of the volume, but it's actually a decent ending point. This is really what the ultimate series was about, taking characters and taking risks and new interpretations of their world. For the longest time Ultimate Spider-man, which didn't really change the origin too much, felt more like spider-man than the main books. I can't say the same for Iron Man as it's so unique and different from the Iron Man of the main books (of what I've read). In the Ultimate version origin, Iron Man is much younger throughout the book, there's a lot of changes (he's not just a tech-based hero anymore, he's a bio-tech hero now). It's all really kind of interesting and it sets up Iron Man's world before he even became Iron Man, I mean Tony isn't even born until the second issue and he doesn't even wear the suit until the end. It's very much like a Man Without Fear style book. It's fun, and it builds on the character that the Ultimates only touched upon (which is also a great series too). I hope to get vol. 2 soon, and I hope it's at least as good.

Ultimate Human - Ditto to above, I hated this the first time I read it and liked it this time around but not as much as I liked Iron Man. This book kind of feels like filler. It's here to fill out the Ultimate universe a bit more, gave a bit of a tie-in to the movies that were coming out at the time, the story didn't really felt like it NEEDED to be told. Warren Ellis likes to talk bio-tech babble, and he does that here, it's the perfect place for it really. It's intriguing because you're invested in Bruce, you care about his plight, and because Ellis does a good job of characterizing and setting up the plot. It's a short book that deals with those two characters mainly, but the standout issue doesn't barely features those two characters, it deals with the titled Ultimate Human, and it's a great political intrigue issue. Does it mix as well as Millar's issues did, no, but it's still quite close and just as fun.

Daredevil by Brubaker: Return of the King - I really liked bits and pieces of Brubaker's run, it's very good. The end and iconic 500th issue, does a great job of keeping you guessing what was going to happen. And really, helps keep the momentum and puts Diggle to the test of tying up the story Brubaker was telling here. While the first half of Brubaker's run is quite dark and depressing and hopeless and really helped transition from Bendis lawyerrific run to Brubaker's more superheroic storylines, the second half is more fun bringing back the ninja element that didn't fit in Bendis' run. It all came down to

Murdoc finally kicking off all his ties after they constantly have been hurt, attacked, and targeted because of his double life. He's embraced the other side completely.

Noir: A collection of crime comics - this was good toilet bowl reading material. They're quick, short stories and like any anthology, some are good, some are awesome, and some are meh. I don't remember which one's are the best, I quite liked the prose story and Brubaker's story was top notch that could have belonged as an extra in the Criminal books. The most disappointing was Azzarello, because I had heard so much good stuff about 100 bullets and I figured this could be a primer to his work and style, and it fell way short.

Story was about a man during hard times, becomes a one-time theif, prepares to rob some lady of some jewelery, it ends up being a couple and their young son leaving the movies.This reeked of Batman/Bruce Wayne It didn't endear me to the story, it made me kind of upset and let-down. It didn't feel original at all.

Total:

Comic books: 9

Trade paperbacks: 104

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2, District X vol. 2, X-factor Visionaries by Peter David vol. 1-4, Ultimate Iron Man vol. 1, Ultimate Human, Daredevil by Brubaker: Return of the King, Noir: A collection of crime comics

Amazing Spider-Man #611: Spider-Man + Deadpool + Joe Kelly + Lady Stilt-Man= Funniest non-Incredible Hercules comic I've read in... maybe ever. Deadpool might be the second most over-exposed character in the MU right now, but this case the guest-starring was worth it.

I picked up a couple of comic book lots for cheap on e-bay. So far none of them have been worth the coin. The first of the lots that I read was:

Last Hero Standing #1-5 - This was a Marvel Adventures type book, it's kind of retro in it's style, it's more focused on big adventures and plenty of banging action. It takes place in a alternate Marvel, the same universe as Spider-Girl, Peter Parker's daughter. It's a fun book, and it's got a great arc dealing with Captain America (the one and only) coming to terms with the changing of the guard in super heroics, and his declining ability. Overall it's just too cutesy and retro for me to really love.

Ultimate Nightmare #1-4 - This was missing one issue from the Nightmare arc, and Nightmare is only the first part of the Ultimate Galactus trilogy, it was a primer to see if I should pick up the Galactus Trilogy Trade, I really liked it, it's a freaking great set-up to the rest of the trilogy, but I heard it's not quite as good in the other two parts. Like I said, it's what the Ultimate universe should have been known for, inventive re-imagining of popular stories and this first arc, especially the first issue is pretty terrifying.

Total:

Comic books: 18

Trade paperbacks: 104

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2, District X vol. 2, X-factor Visionaries by Peter David vol. 1-4, Ultimate Iron Man vol. 1, Ultimate Human, Daredevil by Brubaker: Return of the King, Noir: A collection of crime comics, Last Hero Standing #1-5, Ultimate Nightmare #1-4