Last IIWY: Savage Dragon #154, Stumptown #1

This IIWY: Strange #1

Stuff at home all week since I don't have internet:

-Blackest Night #4

-Green Lantern #47

-Green lantern Corps #41

-Blackest Night Batman #3

-Blackest Night Titans #3

-Haunt #1: glad I did not order issue two...hoo boy!

-The Marvels Project #3

-Batman and Robin #5: wow, this book certainly got a bad rap.

-Pilot Season Declassified: not really a comic but a preview that has me excited for all of these upcoming Kirkman Silvestri books. (I think Kirkman woke up on January 1st 2009 and said "This year I'm going to write with the entire cast of Image's creators."

-Ultimate Avengers #3: Well that was a bit of a curve ball.

-Liberty Comics #2

-Noir: elnino was right. pretty mediocre. Here was a book I was superexcited for because no publisher does anthologies as well as Dark Horse but Azzarello's piece was brilliant and the Criminal piece would have been great if I hadn't read a story with the same plot turn ten pages earlier. Misfire on that one.

-Marvel Masterworks Inhumans vol 1: let the disappointment train keep a rollin'!

-Kraven's Last Hunt: I've probably read this book twice a year since 1987 and it never diminishes in power. I've read it three times this year.

Total

Comic books: 460

Trade paperbacks: 24 (is an original anthology a tpb or a GN?)

Graphic novels: 3

-Noir: elnino was right. pretty mediocre. Here was a book I was superexcited for because no publisher does anthologies as well as Dark Horse but Azzarello's piece was brilliant and the Criminal piece would have been great if I hadn't read a story with the same plot turn ten pages earlier. Misfire on that one.

-Kraven's Last Hunt: I've probably read this book twice a year since 1987 and it never diminishes in power. I've read it three times this year.

Noir - I'm curious why you thought Azzarello's piece brilliant because I just didn't see it? Have to agree with you on the Criminal story, they had two stories with the same plot twist or at least very similar...I was reading the stories and a couple of times I was like this is kind of familiar. Glad I didn't read it all in one sitting and only read one story at a time.

Kraven's Last Hunt is a fucking masterpiece and honestly should be much more respected and lauded than it is.

Noir - I'm curious why you thought Azzarello's piece brilliant because I just didn't see it?

you know that the guy was contracted to steal Martha Wayne's necklace right? And his overreaction to Thomas' planned foiling of the robbery resulted in the birth of Batman.

Kraven's Last Hunt is a fucking masterpiece and honestly should be much more respected and lauded than it is.

Someone should check out this week's episode of Dread Media. Just sayin'.

Noir - I'm curious why you thought Azzarello's piece brilliant because I just didn't see it?

you know that the guy was contracted to steal Martha Wayne's necklace right? And his overreaction to Thomas' planned foiling of the robbery resulted in the birth of Batman.

Yeah I got that, but it just made it feel so unoriginal to me, like how many times am I going to have that day in Bruce's life shoved in my face. Also didn't they kind of paint Thomas' as kind of an asshole in that story? I'll check it again when I put some distance from the premier reading. Anyways, overall I enjoyed the anthology, yeah some of it was kind of repetitive, some of it is meh, but like I said it's quick material and most of it is solid.

Someone should check out this week's episode of Dread Media. Just sayin'.

I just saw it up on the main page, I'll check it out soon enough, don't know when because it's the worst time of the semester, with my comprehensive exam, my master's paper project due date coming up.

Yeah I got that, but it just made it feel so unoriginal to me, like how many times am I going to have that day in Bruce's life shoved in my face. Also didn't they kind of paint Thomas' as kind of an asshole in that story? I'll check it again when I put some distance from the premier reading. Anyways, overall I enjoyed the anthology, yeah some of it was kind of repetitive, some of it is meh, but like I said it's quick material and most of it is solid.

It's the Dark Horse version though. That's the new spin on it that I appreciate.

plus it's a crime comic so a rich doctor with a wife and a kid has to be a shithead right?

JSA Vol. 3 - I still struggle to care about the Hawks. Onimar Synn is an awesome villain though. I know he comes back one more time after this, but they really need to use him more.

Also, Black Adam with the line of the book:

(Synn attacks.)

Sand: Scatter!

Adam: Black Adam does not "scatter".

Comic Books: 189

TPBs: 41

HCs: 5

Graphic Novels: 1

Superman: Red Son

Just as awesome as ever.

Thoughts in Is It Wednesday Yet?

Doctor Who Classics: Series 2 #12

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 359

Batman / Doc Savage Special

Dark X-Men #1

Deadpool Team-Up #899

PunisherMax 01

Supergod #1

Total

Comic books: 87

Trade paperbacks: 70

Graphic novels: 1

Bunch of new trades and one gn here:

The Shield: Awful. This is really bad Golden Age stuff. I guess that I had hoped this too would have Kirby's work like the Fly collection from a couple months back. Ugh.

The Mighty Crusaders: Ditto. Cade wasn't evcen interested.

Alan Moore's Hypothetical Lizard: Alan Moore crafts a bizarre story that is wonderfully adapted by Antony Johnston and his artists (Fiumara is a personal favorite). It is a very weird story whose main character is a non-entity as a split brain patient whore that serves magicians. But that only explains how her interractions with those around her are bizarre and stilted. the story tells about two lovers and their strange relationship. IT's fucked and I'm only starting to have it all soak in a couple days later finishing it.

The Best of Vampirella:Lost Tales-lots of great stuff from historical and modern Vampi. Original Archie Goodwin/Jose Gonzalez stories re colored, Forrest J Ackerman's original story redrawn by Mark Texeira and Alan Moore and Gary Frank's modern retake on Dracula. Whoa.

Total

Comic books: 465

Trade paperbacks: 27

Graphic novels: 4

Earth X-this is a huge collection that i haven't read in some time. It's a little uneven with the constant shooting back to tell the history of the entire Marvel U (Ross had already done it in Marvels so i wonder why the compulsion here?) but the modern story is fucking spectacular. With the exception of Wolverine and Jean Grey and a plot screw up that I can never seem to get behind (why does The Thing as Reed if Medusa is still as hot as ever when she visited him only a few issues earlier?) but it is an incredibly epic story that gives Machine Man his due. I'd like to see it covered by Mike and Dan (though it is incredibly dense and about fourteen issues long. :)

Total

Comic books: 465

Trade paperbacks: 28

Graphic novels: 4

She-Hulk #1-12: Wanted to read this, heard good things about Dan Slott's she-hulk, so I picked it up. I didn't love it, it's fun, it's fluffy, and some stories work better than others, but overall it feels pretty inconsequential. The first 6 issues are really good, tightly plotted, law mixed with superhero adventure stories, with the theme of identity running throughout. The second half things just go bonkers and gets fairly out there. While it still remains consistently funny, and the bevy of cameos from D-list (Titania, Hercules) and sometimes even A-list stars (like Spider-Man) keeps the pace moving and attempts to keep the book fresh, it loses that around issue 8 or 9. Anyways, it's enjoyable comic book fare, but it's not going to rock your world.

Sam and Twitch: Brian Michael Bendis Collection vol. 1: I read District X and I figured since I liked (at least the first arc on my first read) I should give this a shot and it's fairly similar. While District X had a major character that was, lets face it, incredibly unlikable, this book has bland characters that act more like plot devices. They're sufficient but there's not a whole lot of depth to them. This book has better pacing, more of a noir feel, and overall is more fun that District X is. The characters didn't do anything for me, but the plotting kept me on my toes but because this is early Bendis, the dialogue can get a little clunky, and early Maleev is doing great work, but not quite up to the amazing stuff he would later do on Daredevil. Anyways, the cartoony style actually works really well in this book. I liked it, but not enough to pick up the second volume, I don't think. It's solid crime storytelling with some outlandish supernatural stuff. I hope Gotham Central is the pinnacle of how good these books can be because I really don't want to pick up that down the line and be disappointed with more of the same (dull characters but great plots).

Total:

Comic books: 32

Trade paperbacks: 105

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2, District X vol. 2, X-factor Visionaries by Peter David vol. 1-4, Ultimate Iron Man vol. 1, Ultimate Human, Daredevil by Brubaker: Return of the King, Noir: A collection of crime comics, Last Hero Standing #1-5, Ultimate Nightmare #1-4, She-Hulk #1-12, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1-2, Sam and Twitch: Brian Michael Bendis Collection vol. 1,

Ultimate Comics Avengers #1-2: He's Baaaaaaaaacck. Mark Millar returns to Ultimate Avengers, problem is he should have never left. I don't plan to ever read Ultimate Avengers 3 and Ultimatum, but if someone could *try* to make sense of what Jeph Loeb wrote and answer the following:

What is this Wolverine incident that they keep referring to, why do they say Tony Stark killed Wolverine, thought it was Magneto?

What happened to Black Widow 1, and who is Black Widow 2?

Why did Fury get fired as leader of SHIELD and how is Carol Danvers now Colonel (not familiar at all with Ultimate Carol Danvers)?

Anyways, to the comics at hand, I enjoyed it. I don't think this is going to repair the damage that Loeb brought upon the Universe, but having Millar back on, writing action blockbusters, is always fun. I really like his run on Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2, and this was back to form. It's more about Cap than anybody else, and these short form 6 issue arcs, seemingly without the bigger arc, is a nice little sandbox for Millar to play in. I liked the Red Skull origin in issue 2, and the action sequences were awesome. The renegade Cap reminded me of his renegade action escape sequence at the beginning of Civil War and that's a good thing. I'll pick up the trade for when this comes out.

What is this Wolverine incident that they keep referring to, why do they say Tony Stark killed Wolverine, thought it was Magneto?

Magneto used his power to have Iron Man and Cyclops kill Wolverine.

What happened to Black Widow 1, and who is Black Widow 2?

Tony killed her after she revealed herself a traitor. That was at the end of Ultimates 2, I believe.

Why did Fury get fired as leader of SHIELD and how is Carol Danvers now Colonel (not familiar at all with Ultimate Carol Danvers)?

At the end of Ultimate Power -- written by Bendis, JMS, and Loeb -- Fury was taken to the Supreme Powers universe and held accountable for... something or other.

At the end of Ultimate Power -- written by Bendis, JMS, and Loeb -- Fury was taken to the Supreme Powers universe and held accountable for... something or other.

He sent a probe to their universe that accidentally had a pathogen or something that killed lots of people. Fury was deemed accountable.