Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this Wolverine incident that they keep referring to, why do they say Tony Stark killed Wolverine, thought it was Magneto?

Magneto used his power to have Iron Man and Cyclops kill Wolverine.

What happened to Black Widow 1, and who is Black Widow 2?

Tony killed her after she revealed herself a traitor. That was at the end of Ultimates 2, I believe.

Why did Fury get fired as leader of SHIELD and how is Carol Danvers now Colonel (not familiar at all with Ultimate Carol Danvers)?

At the end of Ultimate Power -- written by Bendis, JMS, and Loeb -- Fury was taken to the Supreme Powers universe and held accountable for... something or other.

Good stuff, thanks for that. I forgot about the Black Widow thing in Ultimates 2. And I just looked up that Black Widow 2 hasn't been revealed yet and is going to be used later in Ultimate Comics Avengers.

Dark Horse Heroes Omnibus Vol. 1-If there was ever any universe that was mine, it's Comics Greatest World. The failed 90s superhero explosion at Dark Horse that spawned X, Ghost, Barb Wire and many others. This collection includes the Comics Greatest World Oneshots 1-16 introducing the universe, and the 12 issue Will To Power, still in my top three comic stories of all time. I adored that story. i still do. The 16 opening oneshots are uneven but they do the job at setting up the universe. They're oddly in a strange limbo of attempting to be standalone but you really have to read them all to get the feel for it. Fortunately they're all here. The problem of collecting the introduction of a comic universe with what is essentially its ending is bypassed with an 8 page text piece explaining what happens throughout the various series that sprung up in the middle. For 25 bucks (less at DCBS) you get over 400 colored pages of gold. Nice.

Total

Comic books: 465

Trade paperbacks: 29

Graphic novels: 4

Fort: Prophet of the Unexplained-Ugh. I had heard so much of this and was expecting this to be the first entry in Dying in the Gutters that would have me do a segment after just reading it but it was boring as all Hell. Frazer Irving's art is the only saving grace. How can you ruin the comic idea of Charles Fort as a monster hunter? It's perfect. But this falls on its face.

Total

Comic books: 465

Trade paperbacks: 30

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly issues one through five. Chuck Dixon writes one hell of a Spaghetti Western story, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with Sergio Leone's film of the same name, which is the evident inspiration for this new western title from Dynamite. It is closer in tone and style to Sergio Corbucci than it is to Sergio Leone. Christos Gage's Sinners and Saints story, from the first six issues of The Man With No Name series (from the same publisher) was a direct follow up to TGTB&TU, so this alternate title launch had me a tad confused. Where in the Leone continuity does Dixon's unnamed story take place, if at all?

Nightmare on Elm Street by Chuck Dixon.

I read this today, and well, though it wasn't shit, it wasn't any good either, the art was bland and when compared with Freddy VS Jason VS Ash. Whenever you read a trade in a book shop, you have three reactions:

1. That was great, I have to buy this!

2. That was so good, oh, time to go.

3. Eh, thank god I'm not paying for this.

Sadly this comic fell in the third category. Art was alright for the story, but the stories would not feel out of place in Freddy's Nightmares, and the ending to the first story was so stupid.

Read in a shop if you can, but don't buy it, even if you miss it, and are a big Freddy/horror/Chuck Dixon fan, you are not missing much.

Blackest Night: Flash. I can't tell whether I like Scott Kolins art, or I hate it. Every issue of any comic I read of his, I either love his art, or I can't stand it, this, I really didn't like.

Thoughts in the Is It Wednesday Yet? after next

JSA All-Stars #1

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 363

Dark Reign: The List - Amazing Spider-Man

Image United #1

Realm of Kings: Inhumans #1

The Tick New Series #1

Thor Giant-Size Finale

Total

Comic books: 96

Trade paperbacks: 73

Graphic novels: 1

New Avengers, v10: Power

This collects the Secret Invasion: Dark Reign one-shot, plus New Avengers #48-50.

Though it was a quick read, it was a solid story that grounded some of the characters. First, with the help of the Avengers, Luke and Jessica found their baby. Thanks to Jessica's snarkiness and Luke's tough as nails attitude, sometimes it's hard to see those two as real people, but Bendis did a wonderful job making them angry, desperate human beings. It's a little upsetting the Luke asking Norman for help thing didn't play out with him joining the Dark Avengers, thus putting him at odds with his friends, but I know it leads to another story involving the two. So I'll judge the outcome when I get there.

The second part of the main story is all about the (New) Avengers learning of the (Dark) Avengers, and their burning desire to take them down. The battle isn't what's important, but rather how each one of them reacts to the news and ensuing fight. Not everyone is perfectly captured, but Ronin and Spider-Woman took center stage in my mind. Good stuff.

You know how I've said that I want one artist on a storyline unless there's a good reason for it? Here there was an excellent reason for it! As the fight with The Hood's gang takes place, we're given one-page vignettes as drawn by artists who are closely tied to the characters. It was a nice, well-executed surprise.

And though I wasn't too keen on his art in the next volume (RE: The Search for the Sorcerer Supreme), Billy Tan did a fine job here. It's odd that a superhero artist is better at drawing talking heads than he is fight scenes.

What this collection does best is illustrate that Bendis can write shorter stories, while still keeping the big picture in mind. The two main stories tie together nicely, but can be read independently. And though it does overlap with Dark Avengers and the stage is set for Dark Reign, it still feels like a satisfying self-contained story.

My only real gripe with the book was Alex Maleev's Namor in the one-shot. Even though I knew to expect it this time, it was still brutal!

Total

Comic books: 96

Trade paperbacks: 74

Dr. Horrible #1 and Punisher #11 - Last IIWY?

Green Lantern #48 and Fantastic Four #573 - Next IIWY?

JSA Vol. 4 - The Hawks are still one-note and the Jakeem Thunder stuff confuses me, but good otherwise.

Blackest Night #5 - Holy shit is all I can say.

Justice League of America #39 - I paid 4 dollars for a red ring.

JSA All-Stars #1 - This didn't offend me. It felt a bit rushed at parts, but I enjoyed the writing for the most part.

Justice Society of America 80-page Giant - Fun time-distortion stories from the perspective of several different teams. If only there could have been a Geoff Johns/Alan Davis sequence.

Flash: Rebirth #5 - I'm mixed on this, as usual. The twist was very cool, but I'm so damn tired of Wally's kids.

Blackest Night: Flash #1 - The Rogues need their own book.

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1 - Issue two of this should be interesting.

Sweet Tooth #4 - Simple and beautiful.

Comic Books: 201

TPBs: 42

HCs: 5

Graphic Novels: 1

Dark Avengers Annual #1

An interesting and long overdue look at Noh-Varr / Marvel Boy / Captain Marvel, but it didn't rock my world at the same time. And when a book has a $4.99 price tag, it should be better than "interesting," if you want the truth.

Without getting into spoilers, there are moments when it seems Bendis has a handle on Noh-Varr, but then there are others when it seems like he's writing a generic "stranger from another world" character. The scenes with Annie also felt a bit forced; Noh-Varr doesn't understand humans, yet he connects with one almost right away? Oh-kay.

Really, the biggest impact this book will have comes from the ending, which I won't mention due to major spoilers elsewhere in the Marvel Universe. I didn't see it coming, I thought it was rather cool, and I cannot wait to see how it plays out. But at the same time, you could flip to the last two story pages at the comic shop and save yourself five bucks.

Artistically, this is the best Chris Bachalo I've seen in a while. It's crisp and easy to follow, all without sacrificing his very unique style. Noh-Varr's civilian design is slick in a modern Clark Kent kind of way, and though Annie looks like a dozen girls I see everyday at work, she doesn't come off as a clichéd punk / goth girl. Now, what about Marvel Boy / Captain Marvel's new costume, which has been commented about elsewhere on the forums? Yeah, terrible. Fine, update his design (the biker shorts were a little weird), but this is (I used the word before) generic. Maybe it's just the mask, as I'd like to see his striking white hair, but I doubt that's it. After playing with it in Photoshop, I think I'd rather see the colors reversed: a black costume with white highlights. I'll give it time, but I hope they tweak it. Quickly.

If I were writing this as an IIWY? review, it would get a flip through. And that really comes down to the price; at $2.99 (and maybe even $3.99) I'd give it a borrow, but $4.99 is too much for what little we get here.

Total

Comic books: 97

Trade paperbacks: 74

Really, the biggest impact this book will have comes from the ending, which I won't mention due to major spoilers elsewhere in the Marvel Universe. I didn't see it coming, I thought it was rather cool, and I cannot wait to see how it plays out. But at the same time, you could flip to the last two story pages at the comic shop and save yourself five bucks.

I hate that it spoiled a storyline that has been coming out late. That and Blackest Night: Flash #1 spoiling something from a late book there...

I was pissed a few times this week.

To be fair, we all knew Steve was coming back. Not because we're a cynical lot, but because the title of the miniseries gives it away. Also, the final page of Dark Avengers Annual #1 doesn't (seem) to reveal who will be Captain America post-Who Will Wield The Shield?, it simply showed us that Steve Rogers is back and is working with Bucky-Cap. I'd hold off on being mad about the reveal until we learn if that scene takes place after WWWTS.

Fantastic Four: The End-this is the Alan Davis version. While it could have been four issues and better, it is still the best of the The End stories to span more than a single issue. I also wish that Davis had done some more redesign on characters like he did in The Nail. The biggest redesign was Doom and that was wayyyyy too excessive.

Captain America: Red, White and Blue-this was put out to capitalize on Cap's death and is very uneven. There is some great stuff but I just felt that the weight of the trade is thrown off when you have something like Red Skull's training of a Hitler Youth soldier mixed with Evan Dorkin's Milk and Cheese spoof featuring Skull and Zemo. Alex Ross and Paul Dini have an amazing two page origin that should be a poster and Quitely's story is spectacular as is the aforementioned Paul Pope Red Skull story. Mostly in the crapper though.

Total

Comic books: 472

Trade paperbacks: 32

Thunderbolts: Bringing Down the House - I absolutely loved Warren Ellis work on the new Thunderbolts and this here is Andy Diggle's follow up. The wrap-up that Diggle does is fun and feels like Ellis' work. But that only lasts for two issues while those characters take off to Dark Avengers. Later, the Thunderbolts become Osborn's black-ops team, doing the evil biddings of Normie, first thing that's different, the concept. It's not that this is a bad concept, it's kind of fun seeing Norman being his dastardly self, but it's just not the Thunderbolts that Ellis put together in a post-Civil War world, it's the Thunderbolts of the post-secret invasion world and there's a huge differentiation between the two. My main issue is the new team, if Ellis' Thunderbolts were C or D-list stars, than this team is comprised of Z-list stars, which Normie actually says at one point. The whole team is obscure characters from the Marvel U, at least Ellis got to use Venom and Bullseye. This team is full of characters I've never heard of (outside of Normie obviously, and Kirkman's Ant-man). It's just no connection, and there's no real quiet moments to make me connected and get to know these characters (and see how devilish and how at each other's throats they are) at least not until the final issue of the trade. From the first issue they're introduced we're running head-first into a mission, no background, no nothing, here's headsman, ant-man, Black Widow II, and Ghost, and some guy I can't remember. It's good, it's just not nearly as good as Ellis' Thunderbolts. If it doesn't get better, I'll be dropping after the next trade.

Deapool/Thunderbolts: Dark Reign - Now this was a crossover, but don't let that fool you, this is basically a Deadpool book with Thunderbolts cameos, the book is entirely in the style of Deadpool, the story is more about Deadpool than anybody else, and it's just a very nonconsequential action romp. Nonconsequential and generally non-funny. It's funny, it's just not lol funny. And if I'm being a book that's basically Deadpool, I expect to be humored a bit more than I was. Just very disappointing and doesn't really have much of an affect on anything, it could exist in its own little bubble and really didn't need to bleed into the main deadpool and thunderbolts books.

Total:

Comic books: 32

Trade paperbacks: 107

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2, District X vol. 2, X-factor Visionaries by Peter David vol. 1-4, Ultimate Iron Man vol. 1, Ultimate Human, Daredevil by Brubaker: Return of the King, Noir: A collection of crime comics, Last Hero Standing #1-5, Ultimate Nightmare #1-4, She-Hulk #1-12, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1-2, Sam and Twitch: Brian Michael Bendis Collection vol. 1, Thunderbolts: Bringing Down the House, Deapool/Thunderbolts: Dark Reign

Fantastic Four: First Family- in the vein of his work on Avenger's:Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Joe Casey takes a look at the premier superhero team in the Marvel U before, during and after their first adventure. But unlike that other book, he does it here by packing a story full of character and emotion and not frivolous boredom. FF explains what happened in the time between the rocket crash and the Mole Man's monster attacking NY. Namely, why does Grimm go from hating everyone to hating himself, what is the fall out for stealing a rocket and the origin of the Baxter Building.

It introduces a new and feral villain to FF lore that i would love to see back in the MU.

Art-wise, Chris Weston's style goes from some of the most dynamic sequential storytelling ever printed to characters that look unecessarily ugly. The only character he has a grasp on fully is Reed. Uneven, but still doesn't detract from making this a great read.

Total

Comic books: 472

Trade paperbacks: 33

Red Robin #7. The art here ranges from average to really good, to quite bad. If your not reading Red Robin, don't jump on here, it's not that good, if you want to read the adventures of Tim Drake, wait for issue 9, or get an old Robin trade to tide you over.

Ra's is jobbed out and pretty much poisoned in this issue, by a bunch of nobody's introduced in issue 4