Episode 45

RSS

A devious reporter threatens to expose Bruce and Terry ("Sneak Peek"), Batman teams with Stalker to save the world from a biological threat ("Plague"), Terry must balance the responsibilities of parenthood with crime fighting ("The Eggbaby"), a doctor is duped into drastically modifying the bodies of four thugs ("April Moon") and a young boy turns to vigilantism in order to get his father's attention ("Payback"). [ 1:19:00 || 36.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_045.mp3

Guest DCAUFan1051

hey guys just started listening as far as the Paxton angle I actually watched the episode after listening to WFP 44 again.... I think they said it was on the inside peek because of his toxic waste dumping actibities and his father being a blight on society .... actually now that I'm thinking of it I remember that being said about Derek Powers "being a blight on society" or something similar.

Nice sound effects mike :D

Okay Mike, you put out the call and here is my response.

In my high school, as James mentioned on the show, we had to do a family planning project that involved baby dolls with computer chips in them. We had the choice of being single parents or finding a partner to share the work. Being very shy in high school, I chose to go it alone. Now I did not have the added duty of clearing the streets of crime in my city, I still found it hard to take care of the baby, on top of doing my homework, housework, and anything else I had to do. When I started the assignment, I knew that I did not want a baby at that time and by the end of it, I was positive I did not want a baby at that time. There was so much I wanted to do before I settled down with a family. Many of my classmates felt the same after that assignment.

The school introduced the program after a study showed that the number of pregnant teenage girls in our school district had gone up drastically. The district wanted to show students how difficult life would be to have a baby while still being a teenager. By the time I graduated, the program was still in affect and the number of pregnant girls in high schools had gone down district wide.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, I got an A for the assignment.

Great show all the same guys!

Guest DCAUFan1051

new nickname for Mike:

Michael "Fist In Mouth" Sims

I love that sound effect mike Yay Jenny on WFP she sounded like she was in a cave though :D

Love the eggbaby review.... we used bags of sugar for the babies in high school...... actually we did that in health clas in middle school as well.

At April Moon right now more thoughts later

Our school had the babies with computer chips in them for the eople that took the child services elective, there were about 5-10 people from my general area that had them...our bus ride was over an hour each way...imagine how painful that was.

Guest DCAUFan1051

damnit mike & james:

since I've packed almost every DVD I own for my upcoming move my Batman Beyond DVD's are at the bottom of one of the boxes but I'll have to go back to episode 45 because I want that audio of no more chairty events :D

According to my scientific survey, neither I (at a Minnesota public school) nor my wife (at a private school in Hawaii) ever did the project. The funny thing is, that I graduated (ye gods) 18 years ago this spring, and I remember people in books and TV doing this for school projects, and thinking it was old fashioned then.

As far as a few thoughts about the episodes...

SNEAK PEEK: I agree, cool idea, but kind of lackluster to watch. Two things - as far as Bruce's response to Peek's please for help, 1) the help was part of a blackmail scheme, so some of this may be unwillingness to give in to blackmail, and 2) Peek did kill someone who worked for Bruce. I also wish that they would have come back to Terry's family's response - sure, they laughed at the time when he said he was Batman, but come on. Your son has a mysterious job and is gone most nights. Now there's an program about to expose Batman's identity, he's sweating, obviously freaked, and blurts out that he's Batman. That's got to make his mother wonder - it's too bad they didn't reapproach that issue. (Not that I'm a huge fan of the "get someone else to wear the costume so that she'll see us both together and completely stop being suspicious, despite all the evidence to the contrary" approach to such issues that usually happens, but I did feel that she deserved to be credited with enough intelligence to be more suspiscious).

PLAGUE: I love the line "There are worse things than an honorable death." "Bet it's a short list." Overall, I thought that they did a pretty good job of keeping the two characters true to themselves, but yeah, just not as much oomph as it should have had. Of course, this was the first DCAU appearance of Kobra, who became a recurrent BB foe as time goes on.

EGGBABY: Sure, it's a goofy plot. Yeah, it's kin of silly. It works. Go with it. Like someone said over on the Batman: Brave and the Bold thread, the DCAU Batman (Wayne) works well for comedy if he stays himself and the comedy is wrapped around him, like in "This Little Piggy" This is another one where Bruce being Bruce really adds to the comedy. Plus, you have the first and only time Batman ever sticks his tongue out at someone (when Carl throws the egg out the window, and Terry jets up to catch it and flies past the window with Carl). I did think that there were a couple parallels with Ma Mayhem - first, obviously, to Granny Goodness, but also (and some of this may have been because Kathleen Freeman voiced both characters) to the Fratellis. Granted that there was no hideously deformed third brother named Chunk watching Electric Company in the basement, but they still reminded me of the crooks in "The Goonies". I also liked the throwaway joke at the beginning when the butler calls the police to report the crime, then looks at the open vault and adds "and 50,000 credits" and pockets a wad of creds. Like I said, Hamlet it ain't but I can watch this and be entertained repeatedly.

APRIL MOON: I actually thought that the song "April Moon" was a jazz standard, hence the jazz score. It was actually a pop song from 1990. This is one I'm mixed about - it's a good episode, but boy, is it depressing.

PAYBACK: Mike, you're right - the linear thinking was spot on. It also made since that he was "helping" the kids - he wants to spend time with his dad because he likes his dad. His dad helps the kids, so he'll help the kids. I agree with James' point about pounding on the car, though - if anything, I'd think the fact that he's a kid would make him more likely to use that laser tool every time - cool thing, must use.

Anyways, great episode, guys. Till next time...

Chris

I also wish that they would have come back to Terry's family's response - sure, they laughed at the time when he said he was Batman, but come on. Your son has a mysterious job and is gone most nights. Now there's an program about to expose Batman's identity, he's sweating, obviously freaked, and blurts out that he's Batman. That's got to make his mother wonder - it's too bad they didn't reapproach that issue. (Not that I'm a huge fan of the "get someone else to wear the costume so that she'll see us both together and completely stop being suspicious, despite all the evidence to the contrary" approach to such issues that usually happens, but I did feel that she deserved to be credited with enough intelligence to be more suspiscious).

So, I was thinking about this. Other than random amnesia, IS there any other way this is handled? I mean, there's variations on a theme, but unless the friend/family member who's suspicious either gets in on the secret or loses their memory, it's ALWAYS the double. Here's what I came up with instead of doing my paperwork...

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends - Sandman sees Peter change into Spidey - Firestar and Iceman dress up Flash Thompson and use him to fool Sandman.

The Flash - When Julio was sure Barry was the Flash, Barry pointed down the street, and when Julio turned to look, raced down the street as the Flash, then changed back into civvies and was back beside Julio before he turned around.

Lois & Clark - When a reporter working for Intergang revealed Clark's identity, his mother used a hologram to place Superman next to Clark at a press conference (because every Kansas farmwife has a hologram projector)

Death Of Superman - Supergirl/Matrix pretended to be Clark Kent while Superman dug "him" out of the rubble.

The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne - Dick Grayson dressed up as Batman while Bruce Wayne was present

JLA Live Action Pilot - Martian Manhunter turned into Fire to prove that BeBe DaCosta wasn't her

Just what I came up with over lunch - am I wrong? Is the response to this common plot really so limited?

Chris

SNEAK PEEK:I kind of liked this one for how flawed it was. Ian was a sleaze and deserved what he got. Bruce should have tried somethign though. I agree.

PLAGUE: Loved this episode. I like the Stalker and loooves me some Kobra. Total DC ripoff of HYDRA but they look cooler.

EGGBABY:

withjames.jpg

APRIL MOON: This might be my favorite episode thus far. Tied with Eggbaby I think.

PAYBACK: While watching this with Cade, he pointed at the big dude the first time we saw him and said "That's the bad guy" and I said "I think you're right." When it turned out to be the kid I said, "Look Cade, it's his son not the big guy who's the bad guy" and he said "yeah, I said the kid was the bad guy." :shocked:

Other than that? Not a fan.

• 4 months later...