Episode 295

RSS

It happened with dime novels, it happened with pulp magazines, and it's happening with comics. Between inflation, rising paper costs, and just plain greed, comics are pricing themselves out of their own market. You do not get $4 worth of enjoyment out of a standard 32-page floppy. Within ten years, floppies will be dead.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Try it again, Mike. It should work now.

wow when I minimized iTunes it was in error now 295 has been downloaded cool. must be a superman miracle seeing as I'm watching lois & clark season 2 on the PC lol :D while I'm thinking about it are you & jenny gonna do a post xmas show telling all us listeners what ya got ?

Guest DCAUFan1051
I'm proud of myself, 'cause this is the first time I've actually been able to embed artwork into the mp3 file. So it should appear in iTunes and on your iPod! Let me know if the image doesn't appear for you, because it's working for me.

so does this mean we're gonna get special artwork with each E-2 TS and WFP now that you know how to embed it? please say yes!!! it would be so cool to get the banners as artwork for each of the respective podcasts :D I love the artwork for 295 it looks way cool in iTunes and on the iPhone :D

You guys sort of touched on the answer--it's two fold and recently tested (and worked amazingly). Go to iTunes, put the comics on for $1.99, and when you subscribe you get it automatically--just like a subscription. Quit at any time or just buy one--and the graphics are stored on your computer forever (or until the terminator revolution when our computers become our masters). That, and comic stores have to become multi-purpose, like Des said of his local badmitton dude--like how most music stores added DVDs and became a multi-media store. Of course, all this would stop happening if Marvel would stop raising it's prices! The most interactive podcast ever--you guys made me want to go find a picket line somewhere for better comics at better prices!

so does this mean we're gonna get special artwork with each E-2 TS and WFP now that you know how to embed it? please say yes!!! it would be so cool to get the banners as artwork for each of the respective podcasts :D I love the artwork for 295 it looks way cool in iTunes and on the iPhone :D

It all depends on time, but I am going to try to do it for every podcast.

Well, you guys recorded a great episode which when it ended I actually said "Shit, I wanted more!"

I really enjoy hearing you two shoot the shit about comics and how their just becoming shit.

Also hopefully Des will be able to attest to this, my local comic shop Forbidden planet is quite shit, the selection is poor, I never get any help from the staff and really I go in, grab my comic or old batman trade or a punisher one and maybe a figure and get the hell out.

I prefer to sit down and flip through trades and grahic novels at the waterstones up the street as they have an ok selection and you can sit down and flip through the thing at your own pace and not worry about clogging up the very small aisles.

Also grant Morrison recenlty said when talking about Batman R.I.P about him doing this during a movie year that is because it's the trades that non monthly readers pick up and not the monthly issues, only the collecteds get a really big percentage of non comic readers picking them up.

Really, I am so close to jumping to trades after Nightwing etc are cancelled as I really would be left with batman and really I prefer reading the story as a whole and not reading just the parts as I would prefer being able to read an entire story for over an hour every few months than just ten minutes every month for a bit extra.

Anyway, great episode, may have more thoughts after a second listen of the show tomorrow.

I'm proud of myself, 'cause this is the first time I've actually been able to embed artwork into the mp3 file. So it should appear in iTunes and on your iPod! Let me know if the image doesn't appear for you, because it's working for me.

Yes! Awesome. Also, Did you guys not get my email?

GREAT EPISODE!

Lately the "future" of comics has been on my mind a lot. $4 is ridiculous, and like the comparison of gas used on the podcast I feel like if we (fans of buying monthly's) keep buying them it will just be an excuse for them to go up again in a year or two. I'm buy both trades and monthly's, buying the monthly's for things I really enjoy and saving the trades for charecters I'm not caught up with anyway.

AND...I forget who said it in the podcast about DC should make some of their prices $3.25-$3.50...well Secret Sex #6 in Feb (a series I'm really enjoying) is 40 pages for $3.50. A jump up from it's price this month, Secret Six #5 32 pages, $2.99. I really enjoy this story line so far and the extra 8 pages...I just might do it. Gail Simone is on a role.

I wonder too how Marvels digital comics are going to fare. As for myself I'm thiiiiiiis close to paying $10 for a monthly subscription.