Your Doctor Who Collection

Mylandro

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh, I can contribute to this now! As stated previously, I did pick up Series 3 and then looked for a good spending opportunity for another. Whilst I did think of Dan/Mike's opinions from BOTI, I thought I'd get the rest in chronological order: a) to prepare me for Turn Left and b) because Brosnahan bigged up the Ninth Doctor to me on MSN. As such, I've watched through Series 1 and enjoyed it. I didn't hate Rose, but I thought she was the weakest thing about the series as she was overshadowed by Eccleston, Mickey, heck, even Jackie.

Will get Series 2 next, although given my pre-university finances, I'm not sure when that's going to be.

Ooh, I can contribute to this now! As stated previously, I did pick up Series 3 and then looked for a good spending opportunity for another. Whilst I did think of Dan/Mike's opinions from BOTI, I thought I'd get the rest in chronological order: a) to prepare me for Turn Left and b) because Brosnahan bigged up the Ninth Doctor to me on MSN. As such, I've watched through Series 1 and enjoyed it. I didn't hate Rose, but I thought she was the weakest thing about the series as she was overshadowed by Eccleston, Mickey, heck, even Jackie.

I will agree she was overshadowed, but that was a damn fine supporting cast, Jackie was way to dark in season one for my liking.

Season two is my favourite, so interested to here what you think about that on Ian.

I will agree she was overshadowed, but that was a damn fine supporting cast, Jackie was way to dark in season one for my liking.

Season two is my favourite, so interested to here what you think about that on Ian.

I'll tell you now, I'm not optimistic from everything I've heard. But I won't judge anything until I go through it for myself. And I'm not sure I agree with Jackie being too dark. I was surprised that she was as harsh as she was during Father's Day, but otherwise I thought her performances were pretty natural.

• 2 weeks later...

Postie delivered some packages yesterday including some new DVDs. Added to my list are:

Doctor Who: Beneath the Surface, that's a box with The Silurians, The Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep. Was up late watching Warriors of the Deep again, the only place you can see a woman drop-kick a pantomime horse.

Doctor Who: New Beginnings which is basically the master trilogy, Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva.

Had a flick through all of them to check the quality etc. Unfortunately, The Sea Devils hasn't aged well but all the later stories look fairly good. One thing I will say, between them all there are some absolutely phenomenal extras here. My personal favourite is on The Sea Devils disk, along with the usual PDFs from the Radio Times (not sure if Americans usually get these) there is a full PDF of an old "The Making of Doctor Who" book.

All DVD's:

Dalekmania Box set (Both Peter Cushing films plus a documentary about 60's Dalekmania)

1st Dr:

The Beginning Box set:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks

Edge of Destruction

The Aztecs

The Dalek Invasion of Earth

The Web Planet

The Time Meddler

The War Machines

The Lost in Time Box set

2nd Dr:

Tomb of the Cybermen

The Mind Robber

The Invasion

Seeds of Death

3rd Dr:

Spearhead From Space

and the Silurians

Inferno

Claws of Axos

The Sea Devils

The Three Doctors

Carnival of Monsters

The Time Warrior

4th Dr:

Robot

Ark in Space

Sontaran Experiment

Genesis of the Daleks

Planet of Evil

Pyramids of Mars

Hand of Fear

Robots of Death

Talons of Weng-Chiang

K9 Tales (Invisible Enemy & K9 & Company)

1st Edition Key to Time Box set

City of Death

New Beginnings Box Set

5th Dr

Four to Doomsday

Black Orchid

Earthshock

Time-Flight

Arc of Infinity

The Five Doctors Special Edition

Warriors from the Deep

Resurrection of the Daleks

Caves of Androzani

6th Dr:

Vengeance on Varos

The Mark of the Rani

The 2 Doctors

Timelash

Revelation of the Daleks

Trial of a Time Lord Box set

7th Doctor:

Remembrance of the Daleks (1st Edition)

Curse of Fenric

Survival

Have been broke all summer but when my cashflow gets better I'll be sure to get Attack of the Cybermen & The Rescue/The Romans. The rest of the Tom Baker stuff that's coming out I'll prolly pick up later

I have the season Box sets of all 4 of the new series eppies as well as the Infinite Quest.

I also have the first 4 of the Stranger series starring Colin Baker as well as "The Doctors: 30 years of time travel & beyond" all released by BBV (Bill Baggs Video)

That's be cool, I came from the podcast and it was a hell of a lot quieter around here than I imagined. It doesn't help that I'm less frequent in the comics areas since I haven't bought a comic in years. Not that I don't like comics or anything, it's just something I dip in and out of.

Time Flight / Arc of Infinity box came today. Call me petty but the red cardboard sleeve they came in annoys me. I try to keep the DVDs that come together in the outer sleeves so they don't get lost and crushed but the bright red lines around two stories on the shelf looks all wrong.

Was up late watching Warriors of the Deep again, the only place you can see a woman drop-kick a pantomime horse.

Oh dear, don't tell Suavestar about that. He'll want to watch it now.

As for DVD updates, here's what I've bought since I started posting this...

William Hartnell/Patrick Troughton

Lost In Time (3 disc set featuring episodes for which complete stories are missing)

Patrick Troughton

The Mind Robber

The Seeds Of Death

The War Games

Jon Pertwee:

Carnival Of Monsters

The Time Warrior

Tom Baker:

The Ark In Space

The Hand Of Fear

The Deadly Assasin

Horror Of Fang Rock

Image Of The Fendhal

The E-Space Trilogy boxset

Peter Davison:

Four To Doomsday

Colin Baker:

Attack Of The Cybermen

Sylvester McCoy:

Rememberance Of The Daleks (Special Edition)

The Curse Of Fenric

David Tennant:

The Next Doctor

Spin-Offs:

Torchwood: Children of Earth (Series 3)

Also, just wondering... would anyone object if I was to post some DVD reviews of the releases as they come out?

I'd be very interested to hear about the extras on disks I don't have yet. I've seen all the stories so the bonus features are a big factor in which ones I get.

Got anything specific in mind?

I'm picking up the newest boxset release, The Black Guardian Trilogy, during the week so I might do that but if you want me to post a review on anything from my collection then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

And now I've bought Series 2! Will try and get it finished ASAP so I can come back on whether Jackie should be comic relief or otherwise.

Outside of the modern series, however, I'm not sure I'd venture further past the 96 TV Movie. Otherwise Richard will have ultimately got his way from ten years ago if I own something starring Peter Davison, and I refuse to give him the satisfaction.

I'm pretty sure I'll watch anything that's recommended to me Mike, but it's the purchasing part that I might struggle with. Not just to defy Richard (which is a pretty weak reason) but because I'm going to have a serious cashflow issue for the next 2 years at university.

• 1 month later...