Suggestion for the next Podcast after WFP ends

SteveJRogers

While yeah the bulk of it makes BTAS' The Terrible Trio look like The Dark Knight, but it really is the first "Universe" so to speak for comic cartoons (Oh, Filmation had DC and Marvel before, but I don't think there were any crossovers with any of the segments). It still is quite beloved for those who grew up on 70s and 80s cartoons, so as much as Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly are your Bats and Supes, this is their version of Bats and Supes. And the stories did get somewhat better towards the end of the the long run of the series.

Yes I am talking about Hanna-Barbera's

THE SUPERFRIENDS!

Ehhh, it might be worth it, for the MST3K aspect for most of it.

The episodes wouldn't be that long to produce! Though if people complain now about how long the emails/personal discussion are now, imagine how they will when those segments lasts longer than ALL the episode commentary and scores segments combined! :P

Also, and granted this kicked in towards the end, it pretty much led to the classic Super Powers line of action figures, that pretty much brought DC into the Action Figure universe (no offense to Mego, Classic GI Joe, and Action Jackson fans, but in terms of what action figures are today was built on Star Wars, Secret Wars, GI Joe vs. Cobra, Super Powers, etc).

So, despite the sheer crap, it kind of holds up as a historical piece of comic book, and animated history.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to do a Deep Space Nine podcast! That show kicks all kinds of ass! But I'm stretched thin as it is right now. Maybe after WFP comes to a close I'll think about that one.

Speaking of that, James and I have spoken about doing something post-WFP, but it's too far off to nail anything down.

they should take a rest after WFP ends, and then come back with something unrelated to the DCAU or any other comic animation. What that is, I don't know, but they have to come back. They have a good chemistry and are good reviewers. We're still like 2 years away from that though, so, plenty of time for them to come up with something that they both like and that is reasonable to produce.

Star Wars Podcast, reviewing all film and TV in the order it was released. Star Wars Holiday Special baby!
The problem with that is that it would really only be six podcast episodes for the movies and maybe two for the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. The Ewok and Droids TV series aren't even worth watching. Another big problem is that TheForce.net already does a podcast for each and every one of the episodes of the new Clone Wars TV series (that's 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours of podcasting dedicated to each episode).

And seriously, no one should ever have to watch The Holiday Special.

I've been thinking about a show that each week looks at a different franchise and good ways to be introduced to them. Pilot episodes, overview of the universe, subsequent materials, important events etc. It would basically cover any franchise that is big enough to extend beyond one medium (ie must be at least two of TV, Comics, Film, Radio, Books, etc). It could cover huge ground by picking a particular franchise each week. Original series trek, modern Battlestar Galactica, Hitchhiker's Guide, Buffy, Robocop, Alias, Firefly, all these rich universes with a wealth of material to explore. That show could go forever, and I think it covers the only part of Earth-2 I sometimes feel is sometimes under-represented, TV reviews.

This sort of wide reaching concept has the ability to constantly draw in new fans by covering shows they already know and love, and then if they like the content they stick around to see what new stuff gets reviewed. The problem with only looking at one show is that its a very niche audience. Film review shows do much better by covering a lot of new material each week, and people can put up with the odd show they don't want because the content will be different yet again next time around.

Of course I'm an ideas man, my thoughts exceed my motivation, not to mention my abilities.

edit: This would also cover stuff like League of Gentlemen, South Park, The Mighty Boosh, etc. Anything that could be described as niche viewing I suppose.

As much as I love comics/superheros my suggestion is out of that genre.

Arrested Development

If you don't know the show than your life is unfulfilled. Stop what your doing right now, go to a store, buy all 3 seasons, and prepare to be blown away. The podcast wouldn't take super long either, there's only 52 or 53 episodes.

"Yooou want me to be explicit?"

I would love to do a Deep Space Nine podcast! That show kicks all kinds of ass! But I'm stretched thin as it is right now. Maybe after WFP comes to a close I'll think about that one.

Speaking of that, James and I have spoken about doing something post-WFP, but it's too far off to nail anything down.

So, I guess that is a no-go on the SuperFriends idea? =;)

I warn you now that I will be stealing these ideas as FYEO ends in about a year's time, whereas there's still another 2 years of in continuity WFP coverage (y'know, Static, Justice League, Teen Titans...).

Yeah, but you're operating on the assumption that we WANT you to do more. :P

FYEO is only lasting as long as you send in feedback, Stavros!! ;)

I warn you now that I will be stealing these ideas as FYEO ends in about a year's time, whereas there's still another 2 years of in continuity WFP coverage (y'know, Static, Justice League, Teen Titans...).

Yeah, but you're operating on the assumption that we WANT you to do more. :P

FYEO is only lasting as long as you send in feedback, Stavros!! ;)

Ah, so thats the proverbial mirror in the back of the store. Good to know...

I like Stavros’ idea. I’ve really enjoyed reading Dan’s A Casual TV Fan's Guide, so something with a similar purpose in podcast form would be great. That’s sounds like a loooooot of legwork for each podcast though.

All you really need is for one of the hosts to have a good working knowledge of the subject. Each show one of the hosts picks a subject and attempts to introduce new fans to it. The material to review would only be one or two episodes or a film, just something to serve as an intro. The biggest task I could think would be involved would be watching the Battlestar Galactica miniseries. Yes you'd need to makes some notes and think of some talking points but the task wouldbn't be an exhaustive discussion of the show. I reckon it could fill an hour every couple of weeks.