The Eclectic Podcast

Darque Edge

Just a heads up that the final part of the Alan Moore special's has been recorded and should be up and on the website by Friday at the latest. This was all about Watchmen (book and movie).

In the meantime, if you want to build yourself up for this, there is an article about Why Chris Gannon WON'T Be Watching The Watchmen, and my own review of the movie over at GeekPlanet

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the meantime, if you want to build yourself up for this, there is an article about Why Chris Gannon WON'T Be Watching The Watchmen, and my own review of the movie over at GeekPlanet

I highly recommend this article, and not just because I know the guy personally. Its well researched, funny and thoughful. Even if the conclusions he comes to aren't for me I can still see where he's coming from.

Looking forward to the next podcast.

• 2 weeks later...
We've found the feedback helpful from here, guys. Did anyone listen to the Watchmen podcast? Any thoughts on it?

You know I did, but then I listened to 5 other random shows before I got within range of a PC and the comments fell clean out of my head. I'll have to go back and listen again.

Next one will be going up at the end of this week. The theme is Werewolves. We'll be covering 'Dog Soldiers' amongst other movies.

We've found the feedback helpful from here, guys. Did anyone listen to the Watchmen podcast? Any thoughts on it?

You've come to the right place to advertise something werewolf-related.....

And like Stavros, you know I've given it a listen or two (exactly two, actually - I re-listen to a lot of podcasts at work).

Actually, I haven't come to the right place to advertise something werewolf-related.

I made a mistake with the schedule. This week isn't werewolf stuff.

This week is Fight Club.

Presumably a short podcast given the protocol prohibiting pronouncing the presence of said puglisitic party.

• 3 weeks later...

We were having problems a little while ago, but I was under the impression it was sorted. However, I know nothing about iTunes (since I don't use it), and Matt deals with that.

Any chance you could let me know what error message you're getting? In the meantime, if you go to www.geekplanetonline.com, you can download it direct. Also, there's a link to the RSS feed, which may make some difference? Per....haps. I don't know. I am a technical luddite. Any info you can give me, I'll pass on.

I listened to both today. Fantastic work all round guys. I think I’ll have to start commenting on your site, just to give a bit more feedback. I actually watched My Neighbour Totoro for the first time a few months back. I loved every second. It’s great to hear form a bunch of people who feel the same.

I’d say Terry Pratchett is fairly well known here in Australia, considering that the cartoon series and specials have received multiple runs on T.V, and I known quite a few people who are into his books. I’ve always had an interesting in trying the Discworld series out, but I still haven’t read any of them.

Listened to it, watched the film again, cursed my mother for giving it back to me in such a state that it suffers minor skips throughout the last third of the thing. Still, that aside its a fantastic story exceptionally told, thanks for reminding me guys.

Would have been nice to discuss the score a little though. Sometimes I feel like a score gets ignored unless its a compilation of contemporary music or written by John Williams. Thomas Newman is one of my favorite film composers ever. Shawshank, American Beauty, Green Mile, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, these a just a few of his exceptional works. In the case of Shawshank its foreboding and majestic, atonal and melodic, it shifts effortlessly without falling back on the traditional obtrusive repetitive themes and yet its all recognizably one piece that fits the whole film, like an inexorable expression of increasing pressure and will. James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith come close due to the sheer volume of quality scores, and James Newton Howard looked like he'd be the man to watch for a while but I'd pick Newman to score any film I made. That being said, if I could get Clint Mansell or Hans Zimmer I'd have to think about it. Or Alexandre Desplat.

And yet the best score of the past decade is the work of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis on The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I love film soundtracks.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest film podcast is up - and this week, we're going classic, with my personal favourite movie, Casablanca. On top of that, there's even pro-wrestling discussion...

EDIT - Stavros, just to mention your point, I love soundtracks as well. To be honest, the reason I didn't with 'Shawshank' is because, scandalously, I haven't watched it recently enough to remember it strongly. We do talk a bit about Casablanca's, not least because it's a great score.

• 2 weeks later...