The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

To be honest, it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm a cranky bastard who rarely likes adaptations. You have to pare down what's in the book, or the movie would be seven hours long. It was well donr for what it was; it just paled in comparison to the original, for me. And yes, the Reagan scene was beautiful and extremely important, but I can see why they cut it. Stirywise, it added nothing and would have interrupted the flow of the narrative. (however, I still missed it greatly.)

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason?

I don't know. It just doesn't feel like Superman to me. Why does he have a trophy room like Batman but with a yacht and the space shuttle, and he has a pet that eats mini suns? I haven't finished watching it yet, but I'm not impressed so far.

Cause Superman is a hoarder. I think he also has robots of everyone in the Daily Planet in there as well.

I don't know. It just doesn't feel like Superman to me. Why does he have a trophy room like Batman but with a yacht and the space shuttle, and he has a pet that eats mini suns? I haven't finished watching it yet, but I'm not impressed so far.

As far as I can recall, the Fortress of Solitude has always had a trophy room. And I don't think that was a yacht; it was the Titanic.

By the way, I'm not sticking up for the movie. Just the Fortress of Solitude in said movie.

And yes, the Reagan scene was beautiful and extremely important, but I can see why they cut it. Stirywise, it added nothing and would have interrupted the flow of the narrative. (however, I still missed it greatly.)

I have to disagree. The juxtaposition of

Superman performing godlike feats, like curing caring cancer and creating life, with him comforting an ordinary human girl

is the book's most important moment. That moment of comfort and hope is what Superman is truly about. In the context of the movie, the adaptation of issue 9 added nothing to the story; adapting all of issue 10 would have added everything.

And yes, the Reagan scene was beautiful and extremely important, but I can see why they cut it. Stirywise, it added nothing and would have interrupted the flow of the narrative. (however, I still missed it greatly.)

I have to disagree. The juxtaposition of

Superman performing godlike feats, like curing caring cancer and creating life, with him comforting an ordinary human girl

is the book's most important moment. That moment of comfort and hope is what Superman is truly about. In the context of the movie, the adaptation of issue 9 added nothing to the story; adapting all of issue 10 would have added everything.

I have to disagree with that. I actually thought Superman showing the Kryptonian couple the error of their ways rather than fighting with them and turning the other cheek by letting them die/live together in the Phantom Zone was much more powerful than him saving a random Goth girl whose name he somehow knows.

I have to disagree with that. I actually thought Superman showing the Kryptonian couple the error of their ways rather than fighting with them and turning the other cheek by letting them die/live together in the Phantom Zone was much more powerful than him saving a random Goth girl whose name he somehow knows.

Reread that issue. He knows it because her doctor is talking to her on the phone earlier in the issue while Superman flies by. And later on, right before he saves her, he overhears the doctor say her name once more.

It was a bit harsh of me to say that the adaptation of issue 9 contributed nothing, as his interactions with the Kryptonians are representative of Superman's character. However, I do think that the scene with Regan, especially in the context Morrison presents it, is far more powerful.

One on hand, I'm always glad to see Arnold Voosolooo get work, on the other, I can't believe Reagan got cut. I still like the film, quite a bit. Does it have a patch on the books? Fuck, no. But adapting All-Star Superman is nigh-impossible, and this flick did a decent job of it.

Also, all of my opinions may be biased for two reasons:

Christina-Hendricks-at-The-60th-Primetime-Emmy-Awards-18of94.jpg

Not good because of impact. Good, and in addition to the good, also had impact, and therefore importance.

Then we will disagree on them being good then.

Honestly, I can't get past the art in either story. I know, I'm ragging on Michael Turner and Ed McGuiness, but I really don't enjoy either guy.

I like McGuiness and I don't dislike Turner. My issue is with Loeb's writing.

Will only add that I think it would have worked better as an anthology piece with most of the twelve issues adapted into different segments, a la Gotham Knight, forming a slightly longer film.

As All-Star Superman is a series of mostly self-contained stories that each represent a part of Superman's mythos with a narrative backbone throughout them, it's already an anthology.