The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

Honestly, I can't get past the art in either story. I know, I'm ragging on Michael Turner and Ed McGuiness, but I really don't enjoy either guy.

I like McGuiness and I don't dislike Tunrer. My issue is with Loeb's writing.

Neither guy has a great grip on the human body, the proportions just bug me. And writing has never been J-Lo's strong point. What is his strong point, I don't know.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither guy has a great grip on the human body, the proportions just bug me. And writing has never been J-Lo's strong point. What is his strong point, I don't know.

That's understandable. While I like McGuiness quite a bit, I'm not a huge fan of Turner. I just don't have the disdain for his art that a lot of people have.

Also, I'm exclusively referring to Jeph Loeb as J-Lo, now. My deal with him is that he writes like the kid from Axe Cop. "And then Poison Ivy makes Superman fight Batman!" "Jeph, Superman really doesn't need to be in this story, and I don't think Ivy could control him anyway." "KRYPTONITE!"

Also, I'm exclusively referring to Jeph Loeb as J-Lo, now. My deal with him is that he writes like the kid from Axe Cop. "And then Poison Ivy makes Superman fight Batman!" "Jeph, Superman really doesn't need to be in this story, and I don't think Ivy could control him anyway." "KRYPTONITE!"

Preston, thank you for this.

Post of the Day? Post of the day.

I don't hate Loeb's stuff, but it doesn't really do it for me either. He uses more exposition than any writer whose works I've ever read, even more so than Chris Claremont.

I don't think Loeb is all that exposition heavy. The guy uses a ton of narration, but that's hardly expository. And it's kind of unfair to compare Shooter Era Claremont with any modern writer.

I've always thought that the absurd number of brief guest appearances in Hush was just an excuse to get Jim Lee to draw them.

Yeah, but then he did the same with Ultimatum and the Red Hulk arc. As a matter of fact, the whole Red Hulk arc is just Hush, done worse.

I don't hate Loeb's stuff, but it doesn't really do it for me either. He uses more exposition than any writer whose works I've ever read, even more so than Chris Claremont.

I don't think Loeb is all that exposition heavy. The guy uses a ton of narration, but that's hardly expository. And it's kind of unfair to compare Shooter Era Claremont with any modern writer.

You have a point. I actually don't dislike Claremont because the first comic books I ever read were his classic X-Men stories like The Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. I don't know how well they'd hold up on second reading, but I have good memories them.

Well, that era of Marvel was the height of "every book is someone's first book", Claremont had to put "I'm Wolverine and my unbreakble skeleton and healing factor make me the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice" in every book. The exposition was part of the landscape. If you can get past it, Claremont has a ton to offer in his run with Byrne, and his Wolverine mini with Frank Miller.

I say this as a guy who doesn't much care for the X-Men, too.

Well, that era of Marvel was the height of "every book is someone's first book", Claremont had to put "I'm Wolverine and my unbreakble skeleton and healing factor make me the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice" in every book. The exposition was part of the landscape. If you can get past it, Claremont has a ton to offer in his run with Byrne, and his Wolverine mini with Frank Miller.

I say this as a guy who doesn't much care for the X-Men, too.

Claremont is only as good as A) the artist he's working with, and B) his editor. His stuff with Byrne was classic in large part becasue Byrne was co-plotting the issues with him. And Jim Shooter kept a pretty tight rrein on Claremont; yes, there was lots of exposition, but it was still relatively tight work. After Shooter left and Claremont was under a different editor, he went completely insane.

After Shooter left and Claremont was under a different editor, he went completely insane.

What did he write after those two developments that reflect that?

Pick up nearly any late '80s or early 90s issue of Uncanny. It's hideously overwritten nonsense.

Post of the Day! :bowdown:

I think JLI could be done nicely. Tower of Babel, maybe. Hell, get an Anime Studio on Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. They could do some nice shorts, too, with Question, Dr. Fate, maybe Aquaman or Booster Gold.

Are they still doing the shorts?

I'd like to see more original features, such as Green Lantern: FIrst Flight and Wonder Woman.

I'd like to see a middle ground. Say four features a year, first feature classic comic storyline, second original story, third classic and end the year with another original show.

Also, please keep the features DC, sometimes they can be better than the main feature itself.