The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just saw the Wonder Woman animated DVD. I have to say, it was by far the best movie, animated or otherwise, that I've seen in a long while. The action was flat-out incredible, and the dialogue was some of the best I've heard in recent memory. I strongly recommend that anyone even vaguely interested in the movie or DC animation in general watch it; it's by far the best of the DC Original Animated Films (yes, I include The New Frontier in that).

STRONG words, my friend. I don't doubt WW is good (I've heard nothing but good things about it), but TNF was just epic.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STRONG words, my friend. I don't doubt WW is good (I've heard nothing but good things about it), but TNF was just epic.

TNF is good, but WW actually has a straightforward narrative that lets you follow a single character rather than jumping between a dozen others that don't have development (Hal BARELY had enough development in the film, and J'onn was somewhere between a character and a simple plot device). Furthermore, it's got insanely fun action, which is something that TNF lacked.

TNF is great for the sake of continuity ties to the Silver Age and overall quality, but I stand by my claim that it doesn't stand well on its own, nor is it a really well-told or fun story; it's a jumbled mess of a narrative.

The only real hole in WW is the unexplained presence of the Invisible Jet, but that's semi-explained in the commentary.

Seriously, watch the film; you'll love it.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Young KW speaks true. I don't know its better than TNF overall but its certainly more fun. Every time the lasso was used I lassoed my ass off.

fixed :D :laugh:

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I'm super stoked for Superman/Batman!!! especially since imdb says kevin conroy is filming it now as bats!! woohoo... it however doesn't list any other voice actors.

• 1 month later...

Since these animated films have been coming out I have only seen 3. This is my impressions:

Superman: Doomsday(2007)

Coming off the DCAU it was quite surprising to see these comic book geeks fowl up one of the best stories the DC Comic universe has ever written. It was disappointing because they had so much material to play around with and this really could have been the start of a great set of PG-13 films. Each film could have ended on a cliffhanger, making each new film that more sort after. Anyway, let me get back to my thoughts on the film that was made.

The voice acting isn't the worse I've ever heard, but it certainly failed to impress. Especially considering Andrea Romano(the voice casting director), who brought us the voices of the DCAU characters hand picked these voices. Anne Heche does tend to be picked out by many people as being the worse Lois Lane and while I tend to agree that her talents as a voice actor needs a little conditioning, it is more so the way the character was drawn and modeled. That brings me to my biggest gripe about the film, the animation... You can tell they were really trying to stray away from the DCAU Superman animation and they went the wrong way. Although, I did like the Dark Haired Superman look. The best part of the film for me, was the fight sequences between Doomsday and Clone Superman, but that is it. I also hated to see Lex Luthor in this film, he had very little to do with anything in the Death of Superman storyline, but in this film he is made out to be responsible for the clone. 2 out of 5 stars.

Justice League: The New Frontier(2008)

Well here we are, this is what makes Bruce Timm & Company such great story tellers. Now, I haven't read the novel this is based off f, but if this isn't true to the novel, than damn am I ever anxious to read the novel. This film is just incredible, the animation is almost flawless and the voice acting is out of this world. When the voice casting of Jeremy Sisto was made for Batman, all I can think about was how well he did as Sinestro, but was fearing that not having Kevin Conroy, my hurt the film. Was I wrong and believe me I was glad. It was also fun to learn more about Hal Jordan and his first time becoming Green Lantern, up until now I've only seen and heard of Kyle Rayner(Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League TV Pilot)and John Stewart(Justice League, Justice League: Unlimited), so it was nice to discover more on this version. 5 out of 5 stars, easily the best of the 3 films I've seen.

Batman: Gotham Knight(2008)

Another hit from the animators that brought us the DCAU. Kevin Conroy returns as the voice of Batman and my only problem is that it tends to make it hard to separate it from the DCAU version of Batman. I'm not a fan of Anime either, but you tend to forget that as you watch the film. The first story is probably my least favorite, as it feels more like a remake of the Legends of the Dark Knight episode of The New Batman Adventures. The next story I thought was ok has to be Field Test, this is where Batman decides to wear a bullet proof outfit that winds up working too well and explains why he doesn't wear bullet proof vest i the field. Working Through Pain is one of those segments you can enjoy, but also skip and not miss much. Deadshot and In Darkness Dwells (Madhouse) are equally the best of the segments. The one thing that would have made this better than it already was, is if Christian Bale did the voice of Batman. This falls in between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in the continuity. But WB wanted to make sure he'd be in a 3rd live action film. 4 out of 5 stars.

Wonder woman is just coming out over here according to Amazon(Always tick the leave me alone box!)

Justice League: The New Frontier(2008)

Well here we are, this is what makes Bruce Timm & Company such great story tellers. Now, I haven't read the novel this is based off f, but if this isn't true to the novel, than damn am I ever anxious to read the novel. This film is just incredible, the animation is almost flawless and the voice acting is out of this world. When the voice casting of Jeremy Sisto was made for Batman, all I can think about was how well he did as Sinestro, but was fearing that not having Kevin Conroy, my hurt the film. Was I wrong and believe me I was glad. It was also fun to learn more about Hal Jordan and his first time becoming Green Lantern, up until now I've only seen and heard of Kyle Rayner(Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League TV Pilot)and John Stewart(Justice League, Justice League: Unlimited), so it was nice to discover more on this version. 5 out of 5 stars, easily the best of the 3 films I've seen.

Nice, it was the best of the three, sadly that's not saying much.

But when did Sisto(Who you should see in Six Feet Under) play Sinestro?

That is fun to say Sisto played Sinestro.

Wonder woman is just coming out over here according to Amazon(Always tick the leave me alone box!)

But when did Sisto(Who you should see in Six Feet Under) play Sinestro?

That is fun to say Sisto played Sinestro.

My mistake that was Ted Levine, I could have sworn he played another DCAU character.

Sorry man, don't see anything on IMDB.

But I just found out he played Elliot in Clueless.

He was the guy who tried to sleep with Alicia Silverstone, then when she said no, he left her in the middle of nowhere.

I haven't seen that movie in years, how the hell do I remember that!

Theirs been no word on Green Lantern in months, huh, almost like as soon as they announced a release of Superman/Batman they stopped bothering advertising it. Not even in DC comics, though it is nice to be reminded every week, Batwoman is in town.....no, I don't have any questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

Since there has been a lot of talk about the recent DC Universe Original Animated Movie releases over in the WFP Insights Thoughts and Random Stuff thread I figured I'd bring this one to everyone's attention.

In my own personal opinion of these films the only two I really can't watch are Superman: Doomsday and Batman: Gotham Knight. As far as B: GK goes I don't like the animation style. I have no issues with the stories and the voice acting. I loved New Frontier even though I think it was extremely short and Jeremy Sisto was the WRONG choice for Batman. I have not seen Wonder Woman yet so I can't comment on it. I've never read the Superman/Batman comic so I really did enjoy the film. Purely for the fact of the voice acting choices. Green Lantern First Flight was good, but again like New Frontier I thought it ended way too fast. As for JL Crisis On Two Earths I loved it for the simple fact that there were so many different voice actors in it. Especially Mark Harmon as Superman. That was awesome as well as James Woods being very chilling.

I'm not sure about the upcoming Batman Under The Red Hood thing yet.

• 4 weeks later...
'Green Lantern' And 'Wonder Woman' Animated Sequels Aren't Happening, Says Bruce Timm

Last month, rumors emerged that a new animated "Green Lantern" movie was in the works that would be a potential prequel to "Green Lantern: First Flight." However, according to Warner Brothers Animation writer/producer Bruce Timm, plans for a second "Green Lantern" animated film were canceled.

"We had originally planned to do sequels for 'Wonder Woman' and 'Green Lantern,'" revealed Timm during an interview with Think McFly Think. "With 'Green Lantern,' it didnt perform nearly as well as what they had hoped it would."

"In the long run, it eventually made its money back, but the sales werent there right away during its release." he added. "Hopefully with the release of the live-action film next year, that will open up the doors for more 'Green Lantern' related material."

Timm also stated that slow sales of the "Wonder Woman" movie led to a potential "Batgirl: Year One" film also being put back on the shelf.

"'Wonder Womans' sales started out extremely slow and then over time were eventually able to catch up to probably 'Justice League: New Frontier.'" said Timm. "The Execs decided because it wasnt able to sell quickly right away, whereas 'Justice League' was, that there wouldnt be any more female super hero films right now. We were developing and hoping to get started on a 'Batgirl' film based on 'Year One,' but because of 'Wonder Womans' slow sales start, that wont be happening now.

When asked about long-rumored adaptations of "Batman: Hush" and "Batman: The Long Halloween," Timm replied "'Hush' isnt something that were all that interested in our end, but it has come up. The real problem with 'Hush' is that it works better as comic then it would as a movie. It could work as a show, maybe. The same can really be said for 'The Long Halloween' as well. It works a lot better as a comic, and not so much as a movie."

Timm also confirmed that there are no current plans for an "Aquaman" animated film or an adaptation of "New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract." However, Timm did indicate that "Batman Beyond" may be revisited down the line.

"Weve definitely discussed having a 'Batman Beyond' re-union of sorts," said Timm. "But it wont be happening anytime soon if it does get made."

Source