Green Lantern: First Flight

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hmm. I'm not all that impressed. It moves way too quick; before we know anything about Hal and the cast, he already has the ring.

Plus, why do we need this when Justice League: The New Frontier was pretty much a Hal Jordan origin story?

Hmm. I'm not all that impressed. It moves way too quick; before we know anything about Hal and the cast, he already has the ring.

I actually like that. It's nice to take time to get to know your cast but not when you only have 75 minutes to do so. Besides, it feels like it's going to be more of space Green Lantern movie so little reason to really get in depth with Carol or Tom.

Agreed; the introduction to Jordan and Ferris was pretty brief/nonrevealing, and then we were into Abin Sur, who was also not explained.

Honestly, I'm watching this for training on Oa, and for what we didn't get in New Frontier (which, as you pointed out, was a good origin, but for me, didn't reveal all of what I wanted to see).

Also, the GL transformation is very... magical girl-esque.

Agreed; the introduction to Jordan and Ferris was pretty brief/nonrevealing, and then we were into Abin Sur, who was also not explained.

Honestly, I'm watching this for training on Oa, and for what we didn't get in New Frontier (which, as you pointed out, was a good origin, but for me, didn't reveal all of what I wanted to see).

Also, the GL transformation is very... magical girl-esque.

Yeah, big She-Ra vibe there.

I like it. The director himself said he didn't want to retread the origin stuff covered by New Frontier, and this way we skip ahead to OA and Sinestro ASAP. Might not be the best thing for the uninitiated but I'm not complaining.

Besides, it seemed like the Carol/Hal relationship is intact, so that's a plus.

It moves way too quick; before we know anything about Hal and the cast, he already has the ring.

why...?

Because...

Justice League: The New Frontier was pretty much a Hal Jordan origin story

;)

I actually really liked the clip. Sure, it moves straight into him getting the ring, but there's no reason that they can't develop his character on Earth afterwards. It could be a lot like STAS's "In Brightest Day," where there's a bunch of scenes with Hal trying to figure out what exactly the ring is while still hiding it from everyone else. Heck, Hal's reluctance to reveal what actually happened (or, if he does choose to tell the military about the crashed craft and the ring, the lack of evidence to support his story) could lead straight into Carol and Hal having a talk about Hal's irresponsibility and hotheadedness, complete with character-building flashbacks.

Either way, The New Frontier was all about Hal's life leading up to his getting the ring; this new movie is about the Hal's life after he gets the ring. I personally can't wait for the film; I'll likely be getting it on its release day.

Regardless, there should be a bit more background there, especially if people are coming into this not having seen New Frontier (yes, it's a possibility).

Which is why they still might have more background later. I doubt that Hal will just go straight into space from there and never see Carol or Earth again in the film.

We are only seeing the first four minutes. That leaves about seventy that anything can happen in. Besides, to tell you the truth, in a mininimal amout of time, we have established:

1. Hal has no fear
  2. He has a romantic history with Carol.
  3. He's a pilot.
  4. The ring has chosen him.
  5. He has a history of doing dangerous things.
  6. He looks spiffy in tights.

Add in one or two flash backs and at least one heated conversation with Carol/Sinestro and we got our back story. Lure the audience in with action then hit them with the info dump.

We are only seeing the first four minutes. That leaves about seventy that anything can happen in. Besides, to tell you the truth, in a mininimal amout of time, we have established:

1. Hal has no fear
  2. He has a romantic history with Carol.
  3. He's a pilot.
  4. The ring has chosen him.
  5. He has a history of doing dangerous things.
  6. He looks spiffy in tights.

Add in one or two flash backs and at least one heated conversation with Carol/Sinestro and we got our back story. Lure the audience in with action then hit them with the info dump.

And dc20 is my favorite poster of the day. Thank you.

I want to see Guy Gardner show up for five seconds and get knocked out with one punch.

I have now seen it. It was OK, but nowhere near Wonder Woman. I was hoping they would adapt an existing storyline but they just sort of went their own way with it. It had some really good moments but its down there with Superman:Doomsday when it comes to these DC animated films. Victor Garber was the perfect voice for Sinestro but on the downside the Guardians were mischaracterised and I'll still never give a crap about

Kanjar Ro

no matter how many times they shove him down our throats.

Looks a lot like the Manga Street Fighter movies.

Right, i'm just over thirty minutes in.

When I have spare cash, I'll be getting the dvd of this.

I feel that the first forty seconds of this were way better than Doomsday, that movie was shit.

The style is quite good, and so far, I'm enjoying it.

The guardians, were a bit meh.

I thought they didn't take names till later on. Damn Geoff Johns!

oh and sinestro is awesome.

I really hope Kanjar Ro says get that ring away from me, or I'll put my foot up you ass.

Also, though I really want Brad Garrett to voice Killowog, Michael Madsen wasn't a bad choice.

Now I remember what it looks like, the men in bacl cartoon from the ninetys.

Right finished.

Turns out a lot can happen in your first week on the job.

It was good, but it felt like it could've been a lot better, and all I can hope for is that after Batman/Superman we get a flash movie and three of these a year from now on.

I just finished it as well.

It isn't really an origin story, nor is it a character-building one. It really is just Hal Jordan in his first few days with the Corps. It definitely isn't an adaptation, as there are a number of differences from the comics. Hal doesn't actually get any training at the Corps (or if he does, we don't see it); instead we get an offhand line about how he had "been practicing" with his ring while still on Earth.

The whole film seems to assume that you have at least a passing knowledge of the DCU, though not nearly to the extent that The New Frontier did.

It's not got a lot in the way of drama or character development, but it's got some of the best action in any of the DCU Animated movies, and works great as a fun sci-fi adventure story.

Wonder Woman is still much better, though.

I was annoyed that every felt like it happened over such a short time frame, I know I shouldn't compare it to secret origins, but atleast that took place over a few weeks, and not just a few days.

To be fair, it wasn't even Secret Origins, since that actually showed his origin. This film is only the origin of his place in the Lantern Corps.

Getting close to being done with this.

...Eh.

Not my favorite movie. Most of the movie is fight scenes, and while they're nice, they're not exactly my cup of tea, especially when it skimps on plot and characterization.

Nice one-time watch, but not worth watching it multiple times.

Yeah, but still,

every happened in his first week with the corps.

I would feel differently if it took time for the ending to happen, but he was still a rookie when he took on the big evil in the film. If the film slowly built to the heel turn over in film terms a few weeks, I would have liked it better. Still, I enjoyed it, and that was my one real complaint, well that and it looking like the men in black cartoon from the ninetys meets Street Fighter 2: the animated movie.

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched the film on the computer and here are my thoughts:

It's a pretty good film to pick up on DVD and view multiple times. I don't know too much about Green Lantern's Comic Book Origins, but what I have seen in other adaptations(the most recent being Justice League: New Frontier)he's a great hero, who needs a Live Action version to come along(Justice League of America Pilot with Guy Gardner is one of 2 live action adaptations).

The voice acting here is also good, I did enjoy who voiced Green Lantern and having Michael Madsen(Mr Orange himself)voice a tougher version of Killawog was a great choice. I would have liked to see David Boreanaz return to voice Green Lantern, but its still nice to have all these films being made and being able to decide who you like the most.

The story itself fet a bit rushed, having Hal Jordan automatically go against Sinestro on his first big mission was completely unreal and made me feel a bit cheated. I mean, we didn't really get to know him and see him develop his powers. He just got the ring and knew how to use it right away. The New Frontier had a better origin story than this film and that is a bit sad.

I also didn't really care too much to see the ENTIRE film base itself in the Green Lantern Corp, I mean is anyone wondering where Hal is? Also the teaser(before credits)Hal is shown to be having a relationship and after the credits he's talking to her and than nothing else about that. They seemed to just start a story and never finished it. Alan Burnett is a great writer and has been involved since the DCAU, but he took a miss here.

Anyway, my review seems to be mostly negative, but I still thought it was ok and warrants a two disc DVD buy(fuck those 1 disc DVD's, why do they even bother making those).

3 out of 5 stars