Miami Vice: The Movie

Missy

Jamie Foxx Confirms Miami Vice Rumors

Latino Review got a chance to talk to Ray star Jamie Foxx, who confirmed he will be working together soon again with his Ali and Collateral director Michael Mann.

Foxx says that Universal Pictures is moving forward with its big screen adaptation of hit '80s cop drama Miami Vice, which starred Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. Previously it was reported that Mann would write, direct, and produce the film.

Now Foxx adds that he's attached to star as Detective Ricardo Tubbs, played by Michael Thomas in the series. "Yeah man, it's happening," he told the site. He was also asked if Mann was still doing the project and he replied, "hopefully he will."

• 1 month later...
Colin Farrell May Star in 'Miami Vice'

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN

LOS ANGELES - Colin Farrell says he's not bonded to Bond, but thinks it would be nice to star in "Miami Vice." The star of the upcoming historical epic "Alexander" said he's had no talks with producers to replace Pierce Brosnan as the superspy James Bond in a new 007 movie, and laughed at the idea of sporting the legendary tuxedo.

Brosnan, 51, who has played Bond in the last four 007 films, says Farrell would be his ideal successor.

"I'll give it to Colin Farrell. He'll eat the head off them all," Brosnan said following a recent entertainment awards ceremony in Dublin, Ireland.

But Farrell, saying that everyone keeps asking him about Brosnan's endorsement, says, "I never heard a thing. He probably wants 10 percent!"

While he nixed Bond, the 28-year-old actor confirmed that he's considering stepping into the role of police Detective Sonny Crockett for a movie version of the '80s TV drama "Miami Vice."

Farrell would play the part originated by Don Johnson. Jamie Foxx is negotiating to co-star as his Crockett's partner, Ricardo Tubbs, played by Philip Michael Thomas in the TV series.

Michael Mann, the director of "Collateral," "Heat" and "The Insider" and the executive producer of the "Miami Vice" TV series, is developing the story, which Farrell said wouldn't go the comedy route, like the films inspired by "Dragnet" and "Starsky & Hutch."

It's not a comedy at all. It's cool," said Farrell in an interview. "Michael Mann wrote it and when he writes it's good and it goes pretty deep."

Farrell said he wasn't sure whether his Crockett would have the three-day growth of beard that Johnson turned into an '80s fashion statement, but he would definitely have an updated wardrobe.

"I don't think I'll be wearing a silver shiny suit," he said.

Ok, I was kinda hyped for this until I read that interview. They're taking it out of the 80's? That's stupid. It won't work out of the 80's.

Exactly! That's why Vice City worked so well... because they played off those old (and not so fond) memories of the what we used to think was cool.